Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lame ram

• 08-11-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Perhaps someone could advise me : Bought a hogget ram 5 weeks ago, in shed on dry straw bedding since, was due to go out with the ewes last week. Had to keep him in as he bacame lame in the left front leg - now hobbling around on 3 legs. The hoof itself is perfect, no foot rot, cut etc.
    The injury seems to be in the joint above the hoof (ankle?) as it's warm/hot but not visibly swollen. I was hoping it would improve with rest but it's still the same after 8 days. I guess it's damaged ligaments, what's the best treatment. Vet is useless, advised to leave it for a few weeks and it will settle down ! .......I don' want ewes lambing in June !
    Any advice greatly appreciated. By the way it's a PB non registered Wicklow Cheviot

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Maybe you should think about getting another ram?

You could still chance that lad with the ewes for a few days, and see what happens. You would want to have him raddled tho, to see if he is doing anything.

I'd be looking for a backup now tho if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

If it was me I'd give him shot of tai inflammatory and let him out with the ewes. Front leg is not as serious as a back leg. Tighten ewes up in smaller field if possible. He won't tip anything in the shed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

As above

anti inflammory shot and possible pain killer,

drugs ill not cause the ram to go infertile, however if he develops a raised temperature it may well do so

as mentioned a small paddock , aged ewes will seek out the ram their selves

ewe lambs and possibly first tub hoggetts need a more active fellow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

jomoloney wrote: »
    As above

anti inflammory shot and possible pain killer,

drugs ill not cause the ram to go infertile, however if he develops a raised temperature it may well do so

as mentioned a small paddock , aged ewes will seek out the ram their selves

ewe lambs and possibly first tub hoggetts need a more active fellow

Would the ram develop a raised temperture from a foot infection?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭brownswiss

monseiur wrote: »
    Hi
    Perhaps someone could advise me : Bought a hogget ram 5 weeks ago, in shed on dry straw bedding since, was due to go out with the ewes last week. Had to keep him in as he bacame lame in the left front leg - now hobbling around on 3 legs. The hoof itself is perfect, no foot rot, cut etc.
    The injury seems to be in the joint above the hoof (ankle?) as it's warm/hot but not visibly swollen. I was hoping it would improve with rest but it's still the same after 8 days. I guess it's damaged ligaments, what's the best treatment. Vet is useless, advised to leave it for a few weeks and it will settle down ! .......I don' want ewes lambing in June !
    Any advice greatly appreciated. By the way it's a PB non registered Wicklow Cheviot

Get another ram... 3 weeks is a long time to wait for the ewes to start repeating and then still have to get one .. Flunixin & Pen LA seem to have helped my ram but I will not rely on him solely as his temperature was slightly raised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

wasnt there an experiment in Australia where they tied the ram to a post in a paddock, and he had the same rate of ewes tipped as a ram running free in another padfock same size? probably done with expierenced ram and ewes though.

Advertisement