Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abrakebara Garlic Cheese Chips

Options
  • 08-11-2013 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭

So if someone you know living outside Ireland was having cravings (yes those kind) and decided she really has to have Abrakebara Garlic and Cheese Fries, what recipe would you use as the closest approximation?

Planning on making them tonight so responses between now and 5pm appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Twice cooked chips, is what you need, grated cheddar cheese and a good garlic mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Twice cooked cooked chips in Abra? I'd be doubtful of that.

Frozen chips, let go soggy, others not cooked properly and still frozen in the middle, and a few burnt bits.

On top of that put the cheapest garlic mayo you can find - it needs to be sloppy, so no Hellmans, then get some of that plastic grated cheese from a supermarket and lash it on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

Tin above is most accurate add a touch of food poisoning and a whole load of alcohol and you have abs mm a sat night.

to be an absolute legend serve with a crusty roll in case she wants to make a chip butty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I guess I shouldnt have held out too many hopes for serious responses :). Basically a fairly decent recipe for own made garlic and cheese chips would be nice, not seeing much on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

make some chips ,
    throw a dollop of garlic mayo over them
    and top with grated cheese
    you can stick them in a plastic tray but thats optional

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think they are pretty much just loads of garlic mayo to the point where you can't taste the chips at all, with cheddar on top.

When you're taste-testing, if you can taste anything other than garlic then you need to add more garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Are you planning on making your own mayo? Would be a totally different flavour.

Your best bet is to use some mayo and just crush some garlic into it, start with one clove then build up as needed.

Then cheese on top.

Not sure if this is a serious question or not, it's not exactly difficult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP I haven't eaten them but looking at a photo online, I'd say cook some frozen chips until crisp, put some good garlic mayo over them and then sprinkle grated cheddar over the top. Hopefully that will satisfy the craving :)

There are a couple of suggestions for the garlic mayo here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61217444

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

for the garlic sauce

2tbs of heinz garlic sauce
    2tbs sour cream
    squeeze of lemon
    finely chopped parsley
    mix together adjust with a little water to your preferred consistency

Thanks, faith restored.

I suppose if they are like any other fast food restaurant I have been to then their produce is likely sweetened in some way? Would there be many garlic sauce recopies that are sweetened in some regard? It is literally 15 years since I ever had it so I can not claim to have clear memories on the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Twice cooked cooked chips in Abra? I'd be doubtful of that.

Frozen chips, let go soggy, others not cooked properly and still frozen in the middle, and a few burnt bits.

On top of that put the cheapest garlic mayo you can find - it needs to be sloppy, so no Hellmans, then get some of that plastic grated cheese from a supermarket and lash it on top.

You may not have meant it that way, but that actually sounds pretty tasty to me! :)

Went well. Can only imagine what the next craving will be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

Went well. Can only imagine what the next craving will be :)
    Hope she is well into pregnancy have heard weird cravings for me it was fairly handy crunchy nut cornflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Takeaway garlic sauces are usually a lot more runny than mayo, its more like salad cream or halfway between. I mix in mayo with garlic powder & chipper vinegar.

Advertisement