Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit authorisation [was "aib and the debit card, holding money hostage"]

Options
  • 08-11-2013 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

I've ordered something on Amazon, but the money hasn't been taken off the account according to them as they didn't ship the product yet (they didn't have it). So after being told this I cancelled the order, to find out that the money has been "reserved" by AIB.
    So now, a week later the money still hasn't been released and upon ringing AIB those muppets told me they will keep it like that for another week, because that's their policy.
    Of course when asked where exactly it is in their T&Cs I was told to go feck myself and find it on my own.
    Are they allowed to do this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Its standard enough policy when it comes to cards. Charge should drop off by it self. Has the same happen with my BOI card and my Canadian MasterCard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I could understand if it were for few days, but two bloody weeks? And it's a debit card, not credit one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    I've ordered something on Amazon, but the money hasn't been taken off the account according to them as they didn't ship the product yet (they didn't have it). So after being told this I cancelled the order, to find out that the money has been "reserved" by AIB.
    So now, a week later the money still hasn't been released and upon ringing AIB those muppets told me they will keep it like that for another week, because that's their policy.
    Of course when asked where exactly it is in their T&Cs I was told to go feck myself and find it on my own.
    Are they allowed to do this?

Standard procedure as far as I know. The bank has no way of knowing you have cancelled the order with Amazon so they give the company a 10 day period when they have processed the payment to claim it or it reverts back to the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

That's the thing, the money is first reserved and if the sale won't go through it's released.
    It happened to me numerous times, but nobody but AIB took two weeks to release it.
    Anyway I arranged PTSB callback already.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Debit or credit, it doesn't matter.

Authorisations are part of using cards. Lenghts differ depending on the institution, but the time frame given isn't that unusual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement