Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthodontic practice - braces Sligo/Enniskillen

Options
  • 08-11-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My child 13 will need braces. Do we have only one orthodontist in Sligo - DAVID MC CONVILLE or is there someone else?
    How much could it cost to do the top?
    Is it worth to go to Enniskillen?
    Any use of medical card or just claiming the tax back?

I just readed that HSE can pay for it in some cases - what has to be done to get it refunded. I think that I will have to visit with him HSE Orthodontic Department - is thisthe one in Markievicz House?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

You should ask for an assessment at the Markievicz House. They are very helpful, but very busy. Phone them directly.

Your child will need to be assessed by Dentists at Markievicz House, and then if they think your child is elegible, they then put forward for another assessment to see if he/she is in fact fully eligible ie: the need is great enough.

I'm not sure the comparative costs with the North, but McConville is widely/highly recommeded by many.

It can be done, to my knowledge, whether or not you have a medical card, as long as the child is eligible, and the treatment should be free BUT, he/she might have to wait a few years to get it done. Many go private as having to wait 3 to 4 years to start treatment is too long.

Going Private: You can get tax rebate of a few hundred,...its not cheap...€3,880. I don't think there is any difference in price for only top work, but you will need to check that.

However, the waiting list might hopefully be shorter than that for you depending on the level of work that needs done. The financial joys of parenthood....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I know that pain we have second child coming next April so we are short with money but as all of us now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Hi. Not too sure on exact prices of dentist, but I do know for a fact that people have travelled to Enniskillen from the Midlands because they saved so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Hi. Not too sure on exact prices of dentist, but I do know for a fact that people have travelled to Enniskillen from the Midlands because they saved so much.

One thing to be aware of when making the decision and cost, is the number of attendances required at the Orthodontist as part of the consultation and fitting process, and if additional visits are needed to tighten braces etc.

All require travelling time for the main part of a day, both a day out of work for the parent/driver and day out of school for the child and petrol and other costs.

Its handy to be able to pop into the surgery at very short notice. In these times we are all looking for value, but practicalities need to be considered.

I would factor in at least 5 visits over a period of a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Clarise123

Hi everyone, I need some help with the above.

I want to have some orthodontic work done and was wondering does anyone have any experience in dealing with Smiles Orthodontics on St Anne Street, Dublin? There is one orthodontist there only so anyone who has gone there will have been treated by this person. Can you please let me know was you experience good, would you recommend going ahead with Smiles for my treatment? I,m hoping to get invisalign.

Thanks in advance for any advice given :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Clarise123 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I need some help with the above.

I want to have some orthodontic work done and was wondering does anyone have any experience in dealing with Smiles Orthodontics on St Anne Street, Dublin? There is one orthodontist there only so anyone who has gone there will have been treated by this person. Can you please let me know was you experience good, would you recommend going ahead with Smiles for my treatment? I,m hoping to get invisalign.

Thanks in advance for any advice given :)

This is Sligo.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think there is another orthodontist, New Smiles, iirc.

Teeth have to be fairly bad to get HSE braces.

My child has a top brace from McConville's and it's costing 2.5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Irishgirl181

I am currently getting my top braces done with David Mc and this is costing 2.5k . I have heard great things about westcoast in sligo also and they may be a cheaper option. Normally to get braces done through markievicz you will need to have 4 or more teeth taken out to qualify to get it done free and there may be a large waiting list I was told up to six years but it is definitely worth making an appointment.

Advertisement