Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Arsenal Match Thread 10/11/13 K/O 16.00 Sky.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Pizza fight!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Moyes has won as much silverware as wenger over the last 5 years and wenger was managing a bigger club with more resources, so not sure why you think it was ridiculous

So by that logic Martinez would have got him for Everton if he wanted given the FA cup.

Look this seems like a pretty silly argument and I don't want to wade into it but it's fair to say that Wenger has a very good reputation around Europe. It's based on a stylish footballing philosophy, a great relationship with his players, and his pretty good ability of getting players to express their talents on the pitch. It is not, as talksport and every other retarded and lazy media outlet would have you think, solely about when you last picked up a trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

anyway.. i think utd are going to flood the midfield on sunday and stop Arsenal playing ,which always seems to be down the middle so expect Jones to start and do alot of closing down and try not to give them much space,dont think its going to be a great game,Utd cant afford to lose this game or were out of the title race i feel, Arsenal will take a draw to cap off a good week

Prediction 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

That's gas, apparently the club doesn't matter when you're moving clubs, just the manager, who'd have thought aye?

So United winning 5 league titles, 3 league cups and a champions league since Arsenal last won a trophy means diddly squat because Wenger gave him a ring and said he'd build the team around him.

Anyways, shaping up to be a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

jebus84 wrote: »
    anyway.. i think utd are going to flood the midfield on sunday and stop Arsenal playing ,which always seems to be down the middle so expect Jones to start and do alot of closing down and try not to give them much space,dont think its going to be a great game,Utd cant afford to lose this game or were out of the title race i feel, Arsenal will take a draw to cap off a good week

Prediction 1-1

Yeah. I have a question mark over the mobility of Utd's midfield. Dortmund stifled the Arsenal midfield but can Fellaini and Jones do the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It's only Friday lad, can we we lay off the bitching and sniping until at least 1 minute into the game?

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

That's gas, apparently the club doesn't matter when you're moving clubs, just the manager, who'd have thought aye?

So United winning 5 league titles, 3 league cups and a champions league since Arsenal last won a trophy means diddly squat because Wenger gave him a ring and said he'd build the team around him.

my last word on it:
    no of course not, man u are a great club and a big draw,obviously, but Ozil had been part of a superstar team at madrid, he'd done that, the attraction of working with wenger and being the main man is what took him to arsenal - he's said so himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wenger is pretty dam good manager in fairness.

Arsenal fans though were the ones wanting him out during summer and before. That seems to have been forgotten.

Always respected Arsenal the quality players they have had and brand of football.

No rivalary came close to United Arsenal for good decade.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    my last word on it:
    no of course not, man u are a great club and a big draw,obviously, but Ozil had been part of a superstar team at madrid, he'd done that, the attraction of working with wenger and being the main man is what took him to arsenal - he's said so himself.

Robbie Keane says he's making his childhood dream come through and moving to his favourite team when he was a kid every time he moves. Footballers say things, it's funny he said those things after the contract was signed. I'll leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

gosplan wrote: »
    So by that logic Martinez would have got him for Everton if he wanted given the FA cup.

No because Everton are a much much much smaller club than Arsenal who are themselves a smaller club than United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I hope i'm wrong but i actually predicted 3-1 to Arsenal, the same as Merson, when i was textin an arsenal supporting mate last night.

He was over at the Arsenal pool game last week and said Liverpool were muck and Utd would prove a sterner test and how he hates playin Utd but i really feel this is Arsenals year and they could stick the knife in on Sunday.

Still really lookin forward to the game. That's the beauty of football, nothing's a certainty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Wenger is pretty dam good manager in fairness.

Arsenal fans though were the ones wanting him out during summer and before. That seems to have been forgotten.

Always respected Arsenal the quality players they have had and brand of football.

No rivalary came close to United Arsenal for good decade.

Dont tar us all with the same brush.

Ye are starting to have the same idiot fans asking for moyes to be sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I think we should get through this. We have a vastly superior midfield, and a better defence, so just need to stop them getting Rooney and RVP too much of the ball in dangerous areas and we should beat them.

Having said that, they are still Utd, I wouldn't be gutted with a draw.

Ramsey first goalscorer at 10/1, and a 2-0 Arsenal victory would be beautiful.

The one thing I'm particularly pleased with this year us how we've behaved when ahead. I don't feel like we're liable to let a lead slip any more, and that's mostly down to how excellent our defence are, especially Mertesacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Robbie Keane says he's making his childhood dream come through and moving to his favourite team when he was a kid every time he moves. Footballers say things, it's funny he said those things after the contract was signed. I'll leave it there.

Fair enough we won't agree on it but I will say that if United had the chance to get ozil and turned it down it was poor business as he only cost as much as Zaha and fellaini combined.

I do agree that it's shaping up to be a hell of a game though! There seems to be more than just 3 points riding on it

Packing the midfield is a terrible idea, not a hope will we beat Arsenal at their own game.

I'm predicting some kind of big blunder from Kos or Mertesacker, it's been too long since the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Packing the midfield is a terrible idea, not a hope will we beat Arsenal at their own game.

packing the midfield to disrupt their play so they cant control the game,and with arsenal you will always get space down the wings as seen during the week,big game for our wingers hoping nani and valencia start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think it will be a drawn match although I would obviously want an Arsenal win.

I can see a tight game and a 1 - 1 draw which will suit Arsenal down to the ground and maintain the gap. Many players back after the International break too.

A Rooney goal cancelled out by a Cazorla goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Amazing how quickly things change in football. After week one you had some Arsenal fans resigning themselves to mediocrity for the forseeable future, calling for the managers head, looking for a clearout.

A mere 2 months later and it's everyone in full voice! They've a 'much better team' than the champions, a better defense, players wouldn't even consider one of the biggest clubs in the world over them...

Has all the makings of a cracker. Arsenal are in top top form and this is great timing to get the OT monkey off their backs. They can really rubberstamp their title credentials here. For United, a certain 'men vs boys' attitude has been prevalent with regards to Arsenal in the last 5/6 years. Will be very interesting to see how United approach this, whether go with the 'impose our will and try dominate' approach of the past few years, or whether they'll respect Arsenal's excellent footballing ability and step off. It really is short-term form vs long-term form. At OT, i'll go for a 2-1 home win but accept that anything can really happen on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

packing the midfield to disrupt their play so they cant control the game,and with arsenal you will always get space down the wings as seen during the week,big game for our wingers hoping nani and valencia start

Packing thé midfield and playing 2 wingers. Who missed out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Cleverley & Anderson in midfield,Evans & Jones centre half with Young on the wing & we did this.Take a repeat of it on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

zerks wrote: »
    Cleverley & Anderson in midfield,Evans & Jones centre half with Young on the wing & we did this[8-2].Take a repeat of it on Sunday.

Yes except we will have:

Sagna instead of Jenkinson.
    Mertesacker instead of Djourou.
    Gibbs instead of Traoré.
    Insane Ramsey instead of Old Ramsey.
    Flamini instead of Coquelin.
    Ozil instead of Walcott.
    Cazorla instead of Arshavin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

JmeFFBE.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Yes except we will have:

Sagna instead of Jenkinson.
    Mertesacker instead of Djourou.
    Gibbs instead of Traoré.
    Insane Ramsey instead of Old Ramsey.
    Flamini instead of Coquelin.
    Ozil instead of Walcott.
    Cazorla instead of Arshavin.

With the exception of Ozil and Flamini (is he even sure to start), they were all there in last years fixture when United had a leisurely stroll to 3 points. Minus Wilshire from that team too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    With the exception of Ozil and Flamini (is he even sure to start), they were all there in last years fixture when United had a leisurely stroll to 3 points. Minus Wilshire from that team too

Zerks had a humorous little pop at Arsenal by bringing up the 8-2 result.
    I had a little pop back.
    I don't have any real intention in analysing the previous different meetings between the clubs. Arsenal are on tremendous form at the moment and United are on okay form.

But I believe that the form book may go out the window come Sunday and we will all be entertained by a close spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

gosplan wrote: »

Look this seems like a pretty silly argument and I don't want to wade into it but it's fair to say that Wenger has a very good reputation around Europe. It's based on a stylish footballing philosophy, a great relationship with his players, and his pretty good ability of getting players to express their talents on the pitch. It is not, as talksport and every other retarded and lazy media outlet would have you think, solely about when you last picked up a trophy.

I like all you said about wenger but he has shown a complete inability to retain top talents over the last decade.

Valencia? He offers nothing. No threat, his defending is overrated too. Nani and kags/Jan wide pls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's Arsenal, Nani has to play. Can't remember him playing bad against them. Normally is a game changer against them.

greendom wrote: »
    Packing thé midfield and playing 2 wingers. Who missed out ?

Wingers tuck in without the ball then move wide quickly when utd have possession?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

jonny666 wrote: »
    Dont tar us all with the same brush.

Ye are starting to have the same idiot fans asking for moyes to be sacked

Bit of a difference though aint there.

Actually there are a host of differences.

You are right though on first part. Not all Arsenal fans were unappreciative of what he brought to Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I want a win on Sunday so much more after reading through this thread. It seems some Arsenal fans need to be brought back down to earth with an almighty bang.

• Advertisement

I want a win on Sunday so much more after reading through this thread. It seems some Arsenal fans need to be brought back down to earth with an almighty bang.

Sunday's your BIG chance then :D:D

Just like United fans need to lose a little of their arrogance

I like all you said about wenger but he has shown a complete inability to retain top talents over the last decade.

Do we really have to bring up the stadium build and the hit on transfer funds that the move from Highbury cost. Players had to be sold over the last 10 years to balance the books. That is no longer the case.

greendom wrote: »
    Just like United fans need to lose a little of their arrogance
    Arsenal are on a good run. That's all you can call it at the moment. They may very well go on to win the league but I'd seriously hold back on the over confidence/arrogance until they have shown it to be more than just a good run.

The way some are going on, the league is in the bag and Sunday is a mere formality. Even when we were battering your lads off the park every time, I never seen that fixture as a formality.

Arsenal are on a good run. That's all you can call it at the moment. They may very well go on to win the league but I'd seriously hold back on the over confidence/arrogance until they have shown it to be more than just a good run.

The way some are going on, the league is in the bag and Sunday is a mere formality. Even when we were battering your lads off the park every time, I never seen that fixture as a formality.

Would you point us to a post which says that please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think you're wrong, most posts and fans I have talked too have said we will be lucky to come away with a draw, and would be happy with that.

Would you point us to a post which says that please.
    Haven't seen it said in as many words but it's just the general feeling I'm getting from some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

No Arsenal fans think this is a formality, away to the champions, best two strikers in the league, would be delighted with a point

There's no way I feel that Sunday is a formality. Especially not at Old Trafford where we have been on an incredibly poor run of late. Last year's 2 -1 defeat was as bad as the 8 - 2 in terms of how far apart the 2 teams were. Additionally a win is probably more important for United than Arsenal and the players and Moyes will be desperate to show that they shouldn't be written off.

But based on the improved performances we've seen so far this season from Arsenal we are justified in having a little more confidence than we normally would. No way do i think it to be anything approaching a formality though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Heres 2 blasts from the past to bring them back to reality:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Posting those videos are meaningless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

n32 wrote: »
    Heres 2 blasts from the past to bring them back to reality:

Beginning to sound like Liverpool now :pac:

RasTa wrote: »

Lighten up for god sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Your posts are meaningless

Come on, one of those videos is from 00/01

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

This is relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Whut

Come on, one of those videos is from 00/01

In fairness, this is a discussion forum where opposition fans can have a bit of craic about a game and discuss a match. Its not meant to be taken as seriously as an RTE Panel discussion on a Champions League night

n32 wrote: »
    In fairness, this is a discussion forum where opposition fans can have a bit of craic about a game and discuss a match. Its not meant to be taken as seriously as an RTE Panel discussion on a Champions League night

So, what part of the match were you discussing

So, what part of the match were you discussing

Not discussing the match just having a bit of craic. lighten up will ya and dont be taking yourself so seriously

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement