Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making every mile count

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Oh boy.

What a tough day for 2.52. Felt sick at mile 8 and came close to dropping out. I finished the race because of the great on course support, the people who supported me and the great friends I have.

I'm not disappointed. I'm proud I stuck at it and saw it through.

The hard days will make the good days even sweeter.

Are you coming to the pub? Myself & aero2k are already here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Oh boy.

What a tough day for 2.52. Felt sick at mile 8 and came close to dropping out. I finished the race because of the great on course support, the people who supported me and the great friends I have.

Are you coming to the pub? Myself & aero2k are already here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Oh boy.

Fairly sure I nabbed a pic of you at bushy park (based on the know your artist thread). Well done for battling on, I'll pm you a link when I have it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

You said it. Onwards and upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Oh boy.

Fair play to you A, that's some attitude to have and well done on sticking it out.

TbL

Congrats on national silver!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

blockic wrote: »
    Congrats on national silver!

Delighted but slightly embarrassed. Makes the pain of the race all worthwhile :).

Dublin City Marathon 2014

Time: 2.52:48

Position: 139

The marathon is the race that really excites me. In my opinion it's the perfect distance to challenge both your physical and psychological capabilities and limits. The Dublin City Marathon holds a very special place in my heart. In 2012 it was the goal race that got me into running. I now find it a hard race not to enter. I am emotionally attached, so to speak. Other marathons might be flatter and faster but nothing will ever replicate the feeling of running through the streets of your home city.

The three-week taper went very much according to plan. My homemade ad hoc schedule meant me peaking four weeks out with a 100+ mile week. From there the mileage dropped gradually (80-60-30), while the intensity largely remained. The taper left the legs in great condition come race day but annoyingly a bad cold caused me some problems the week before the race. While I hadn't taken a rest day in well over 100 days, I was confident that the taper phase of my training had been a big improvement on the mismanaged taper heading into the Rotterdam Marathon in April.

The absence of any pre-race nerves was a welcome surprise. Race morning at this stage has become a very well rehearsed routine. While I haven't raced much recently I made the very deliberate decision to use some races as preparatory sessions for target races. Whether it was a training race or a pacing engagement, the preparation remained the same. This routine helped me settle before the gun went off. Get into good habits, I thought.

Arriving at the start at 8.35am left me enough time for a small warm-up before squeezing myself into the pen, just infront of the 3 hour pacers and roughly 8 rows of people behind the elites. The plan was to run solo and run my own race. If I latched onto someone I knew, all the better but I wasn't going to run someone else's race. I was all set to go and excited to be starting out fit and healthy. In many regards, the hard work was already done. The most important thing with the marathon is getting to the startline injury free. I knew I was in good shape and a sub 2.45 was a very realistic target setting out. If everything went well I even thought 2.40 might be achievable. Failing that a PB was virtually guaranteed once I finished. How wrong was I.

Rather than give a stat-by-stat account of the race, I will attempt to detail what was to be an emotional roller-coaster of a morning. The start was it's usual chaotic self, with people going off way too hard. I am experienced enough to know better than to zig-zag too much and risk a fall so I played it safe. I felt fresh and it was good to get see jebuz close by. We shared the opening few miles together, both feeling comfortable and in control. I took it deliberately easy on first testing climb up Parkgate Street, allowing jebuz and his running companion a small gap. It doesn't need to be mentioned but the section of running up Chesterfield Avenue was very tough going. The crosswinds played havoc with the splits and all one could do was brave it out and keep the effort honest. Passing the Mile 6 mark meant Chesterfield Avenue was finally behind us. A big hurdle negotiated.

Reaching the 10km mark in 39:35 meant I was a bit behind my target but with a few fast miles to come I thought I could pick up the pace. No need to panic. The atmosphere lining Castleknock Village was simply brilliant. I told myself to blank it out and not let myself get caught up in the euphoria. The road to to Knockmaroon Gate is very fast. I knew this would be a good gauge on how my legs and body were feeling. Unfortunately, small alarm bells started sounding. Instead to deliberately upping the pace I allowed the downhill section naturally bring the pace down. Whilst negotiating the downhill hill section, it was a big shock to get my first ever running stitch. It was pretty bad and I had to back off. This wasn't usual, it wasn't part of any plan. Turning into the park and my head was gone. I seriously contemplated dropping out. I looked to my left and wondered could I use a spectators phone to call someone and get a lift. A DNF looked inevitable. I became lightheaded a small bit unsteady of my feet. Just when it all looked over I bumped into tunguska. Seeing a friendly face made me continue. I was already on the edge.

It was now time to dig in and set mini-goals. The next immediate target was to get to halfway and reevaluate. Once again the support leaving the park was immense and the spirits briefly lifted. I was in a world of pain and inner turmoil running 6.10-6.20 miles. How was this happening? This pace was easy in training. The following miles to halfway were bleak. It hurt me that I could not in any way enjoy the experience. Halfway was reached in 1.23:27. A disappointing return for the effort put in but I still felt I could rescue something.

The Crumlin Road. The Heartbreak Road.

This particular section of road has to be the most soul destroying bit of cement anywhere in Ireland. It shouldn't be that hard but it is. It's a battle to hold any sort of pace into the strong headwind and uphill gradient. The conditions blew most groups apart and the choice of running solo was the only one. I was looking forward to the 18 mile mark and the prospect of seeing some very friendly faces. The next mini-goal was set. The following 3 miles to Rathgar became a blur; survival mode well and truly entered. I was running on empty and the sole focus was simply keeping every mile below 6.30. I managed to somehow achieve this, despite my paralytic state.

Reaching Rathgar was as much a blessing at it was a curse. I recently moved into the neighborhood and now know the area like the back of my hand. I was running on home soil but I had no home advantage. I knew every pothole, every twist and turn between here and the finish. Taking the right hand turn through Rathgar meant running by my house. All I wanted to do was give in. Having gone this far and feeling as bad as I did I reckoned I could bow out, having given the race every chance. Just keep running I told myself, keep the battle alive. Once the excitement of the village dissipated the torture continued. I now felt every newly tarmaced speed ramp on the Orwell Road, passing the 30km mark in 1.59:54. Here we took a right towards Milltown. All I wanted to do was to take the easier option and take the left. Here I could sneak off the course, away from the crowds and simply jog the .45 of a mile to the comfort and bliss of home. It's not in my nature to give in. Fight the demons. My right leg felt tight here and I knew cramp was likely so I backed off. In my confused state I failed to realise how dehydrated I had become. I took on very little water and did not appreciate nor notice the temperature increase.

With so much on-course support it became harder and harder to stop running but a mere mile later I had another big wobble. The battle was getting tougher with each passing mile. Just as I was contemplating my departure, I got a shout from a knowledgeable bystander on the Milltown Road. He informed me that I was the ''3rd Clonliffe man'' and to ''Keep it going''. From here on in I had no choice but to finish the race, no matter how ugly it became. Letting myself down was something I could have lived with. Letting down my family, friends and club was not. Again I backed off the pace, content to see 6.3x. I continued to take in very little liquid, just the gels and a tiny mouthful of water/energy drink now and then. The right leg was becoming tighter and tighter.

I struggle to remember miles 20-22. The tank was empty and I was running on fumes. I eased off again up Roebuck Hill and was delighted to finally see Fosters Avenue. With just under 4 miles to go I could sense the finish line. The legs were screaming at me. I begged and pleaded with them to get me to the finish. Just before the right turn onto Nutely Lane the right leg almost seized. I continued for a minute before stopping to stretch it out. It was an instinctive move. The leg felt better but once again t went outside the Merrion Shopping Centre. Torture. I repeated the stretch and got moving. Agony. I stopped once more just after. The only choice now was to brave it out.

I had to dig pretty deep to finish but finish I did. Unable to soak up any of the immense support, I kept myself going and the cramp finally gave in.

To be continued......

That's a warrior like endeavour A, that'll stand to you big time in the battles to come. I can relate and empathise with a whole lot of what you were feeling!

Would have been easy to quit.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hard luck dude. I had no idea you were in trouble when I met you in the park, you looked grand and steady. I thought you'd jump in with me though and when that didnt happen after a while I figured something was up.
    You have a great attitude and all that work is in the bank so its only a matter of time before it comes together.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fowler1

First post here in months, ran 2 50 01 on Monday so missed my target by 2 seconds. Just a quick run down on my training, I walk 25 mile aweek between work and the dogs and find anything over 60 mile a week leads to injury.
    Sat _20 mile long run ( 2h 30m )
    Sun 10/12 mile steady
    Mon 8 mile ( including either speed work , tempo run or hills)
    Tues rest day
    Wed 12/ 13 mile steady
    Thurs 8 mile (including speed work or tempo)
    Fri rest day
    Happy enough with a 2m 30s pb
    Dublin runner while app your improvement and times and i know u were sick on monday maybe u run too many junk miles.I made a rule to run no miles slower than 7 30/per mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super work, you've had so much progress in such a short space that i'd say it's difficult to see the wood from the trees regarding your progress.

I love the intensity that you bring to your running, it's evident in your reports.

This may be an unfair or me to say, but I like when you seemed to have more 'fun' running, maybe as you get to the business end the fun changes? Discount this if it's rubbish.

Looking fwd to seeing what you do in '15, I'd say it'll be another breakthrough year.

That's a warrior like endeavour A, that'll stand to you big time in the battles to come. I can relate and empathise with a whole lot of what you were feeling!

Would have been easy to quit.

TbL

Thanks C, glad I saw it out. That's the marathon for you. That's why most of us have a love/hate relationship with it! :cool:

tunguska wrote: »
    Hard luck dude. I had no idea you were in trouble when I met you in the park, you looked grand and steady. I thought you'd jump in with me though and when that didnt happen after a while I figured something was up.
    You have a great attitude and all that work is in the bank so its only a matter of time before it comes together.

Yeah, I think I can mask my pain well enough!

Great report on the race, really enjoyed reading your thoughts.
    fowler1 wrote: »
    First post here in months, ran 2 50 01 on Monday so missed my target by 2 seconds. Just a quick run down on my training, I walk 25 mile aweek between work and the dogs and find anything over 60 mile a week leads to injury.
    Sun 10/12 mile steady
    Tues rest day
    Wed 12/ 13 mile steady
    Fri rest day
    Dublin runner while app your improvement and times and i know u were sick on monday maybe u run too many junk miles.I made a rule to run no miles slower than 7 30/per mile

That's a very really impressive run well done. Great to hear some good results on a tough day for many! Congrats. I will expand on my post-races thoughts tomorrow but I appreciated your post. I guess the line between easy/general aerobic miles and junk miles is a fine one. Undoubtedly some of them can be classified as junk miles in retrospect.

Do date I have remained injury free so the higher mileage stuff doesn't seem to effect me (so far!). It's all about balance I guess and in large parts I made mistakes. I am still quite new to the sport so I kind of experiment and some of it works and some of it doesn't! I am definitely the type of person/athlete that benefits hugely from working under a coach. That's the next thing on my list.

Cracking run again. Hope you celebrated in style!

Super work, you've had so much progress in such a short space that i'd say it's difficult to see the wood from the trees regarding your progress.

I love the intensity that you bring to your running, it's evident in your reports.

This may be an unfair or me to say, but I like when you seemed to have more 'fun' running, maybe as you get to the business end the fun changes? Discount this if it's rubbish.

Looking fwd to seeing what you do in '15, I'd say it'll be another breakthrough year.

Thanks AMK. Fantastic words (no rubbish at all :)).

At the moment I definitely enjoy training more than racing. I am falling into the trap of being a good trainer but a poor racer. The training cycle for Dublin has brought me on a lot but I am unable to convert that into any decent time so that's frustrating.

As I mentioned above, I need someone by my side for heading into next year. When engrossed in training it is definitely hard to see the wood from the trees! For me anyway :).

Great job on Monday and a big thanks to all your neighbours in Castleknock! What an experience that was running through the village.

fowler1 wrote: »
    Sun 10/12 mile steady
    Tues rest day
    Wed 12/ 13 mile steady
    Fri rest day

Congrats fowler, savage run. Doing the club proud! Pity you and bahananaman were not registered with AAI for the race or it would have been a decent club result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great account of a tough day Anthony. In my book, running just outside of your PB in very tough conditions and coming home with a national silver medal is a bloody good day out. Sure, you didn't get the time you deserved, but you should focus on the achievement, rather than the digits on the clock. When it all lines up, it'll be magic.

Great account of a tough day Anthony. In my book, running just outside of your PB in very tough conditions and coming home with a national silver medal is a bloody good day out. Sure, you didn't get the time you deserved, but you should focus on the achievement, rather than the digits on the clock. When it all lines up, it'll be magic.

Thanks. Surprised and happy to win the medal. I am confident things will come together with a small bit of tweaking (and some luck).

I had a great time following the Frankfurt lads on Sunday morning. Think I may be making a visit to Berlin or Frankfurt next year :). Congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

Hey Dublin runner. I agree with all the posters above. You need to take the positives out of Monday. Look at it this way how many guys around your level had a good day? Very few I'd imagine. Everyone suffered one way or the other.

In regards to coaching I remember seeing an article or interview last year where you were being coached by Gary O'Hanlon. I'm sure Gary will be able to supply you (continue to supply you) with the advice and knowledge towards unlocking those tweaks you mention to make the next breakthrough.

Looking forward to reading the post marathon blog post this time next year when DCM2014 will be a long distant memory.

There's a saying that goes along the lines of 'one good race doesn't make you a good runner'. Likewise, one bad race doesn't make you a bad runner. With that in mind, I now see target races like Dublin as the culmination of a training block, nothing more. If the target race goes according to plan and you hit your goal, brilliant. If the race goes poorly that doesn't mean that somehow all the months of training have suddenly gone out the window. Everything has to be viewed in context and it's important to see the bigger picture.

It's now three days on from the marathon and I have already moved on. Tomorrow I will enter my first target race of 2015 and I am very excited. With all that said, I will share some of my thoughts about the training leading up to Dublin and the race itself.

TRAINING:

The Good

-Running 6 minutes miles now feels comfortable
    -I feel mentally and physically stronger
    -The higher mileage weeks (90-100) felt relatively comfortable
    -Consistency. Completely injury and niggle free

The Bad

-Not enough variation in my training. My homemade plan had little structure to it. Instead of building on a solid base of 5/10k training (periodisation) during the summer, I rushed back into marathon training too soon.
    -The long run. In essence, the majority of the long runs were too short and too fast. I am convinced that I would have benefited from running some of my long runs at a slower pace, peaking at runs 3 hours and over. For example, 24 miles @7.30p/m (3hr). My longest runs were 20 miles and I am convinced that to progress in the the marathon I need to really push out the long slow run (in combination with long steady runs etc.)
    -No Core work/Drills/Supplementary Training. It wouldn't be hard to improve on this as I did nothing in this regard. Not really good enough.

THE RACE:

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. One thing is now certain, I am prone to cramp. In Tralee and Rotterdam this year I really focused in on this and made sure I took on plenty of electrolytes and dioralyte sachets (2) before and during the race. This resulted in no cramping, despite the warm conditions in Rotterdam. I became a small bit complacent, resulting in cramp in Dublin. I lost the dioralyte sachet I had and missed water stations, drinking very little water/lucozade. The result? Dehydration.

It only fully clicked with me after the race that I didn't feel the need to go to the toilet before the race. That was very unusual for me. I never once had the urge to make a pit-stop during the race also (just ask anyone I run with, I usually need one pit-stop after drinking too much!). The stitch and general dizziness around mile 8 should have been picked up on. I was simply dehydrated.

Learning from my mistakes I will be doing very little running for the next 10 days. I have already taken three full days off and plan at least one more. The legs feel great but there is no need to hurry the recovery. I am planning to fully enjoy a bit of junk food and alcohol! :pac:

Thanks for all the words of support and advice.

Onwards and upwards.

October 27-Novemeber 2

Monday 27/10
    -26.2 Miles

Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday (28/11-31/11)
    -Rest

Saturday 1/11
    -5 Miles Easy @7.24p/m in 37:00

Sunday 2/11
    -5 Miles Easy @7.28p/m in 37:20

WEEK TOTAL: 36.2 MILES

November 3-9

Monday 3/11
    -5 Miles Easy @7.14p/m in 36:09

Tuesday 4/11
    -5 Miles Easy @7.00p/m in 35:02

Wednesday 5/11
    -5 Miles Easy @6.58p/m in 34:49

Thursday 6/11
    -5.40 Miles Easy @7.08p/m in 38:41

Friday 7/11
    -8 Miles Easy @7.06p/m in 56:52

Saturday 8/11
    -8.25 Miles Easy @7.03p/m in 58:02

Sunday 9/11
    -5 Miles Easy @7.19p/m in 36:33

WEEK TOTAL: 41.65 MILES

The recovery from the marathon was both swift and pain free. By the Wednesday I was back to normal, with only a small bit of stiffness to remind me of Monday's effort. Keen not to repeat the mistakes made earlier in the year I reduced the miles and enjoyed the many days of easy running.

Motivation is quite high at the moment. I know the marathon was a serious off day. To run so poorly was disappointing but that is now long forgotten. The race taught me a lot and I will take that going forward, confident that it has made me a better runner. After all, you learn more in defeat than in victory.

Thoughts now turn to the remaining months of this year. The immediate choice is whether to run the half in Waterford (like last year) or possible run the Jingle Bells 5k in the Park. After that it's all about next year.

Anyone got a loan of XC spikes (UK 11.5 or 12)? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Good to hear you so positive A, it was indeed just a bad day and a lot to come from you in 2015 I reckon.

Tough choice about the next race, I'm not sure what to say *cough* Waterford

jebuz wrote: »
    Good to hear you so positive A, it was indeed just a bad day and a lot to come from you in 2015 I reckon.

Tough choice about the next race, I'm not sure what to say *cough* Waterford

Looks to be a good few heading down alright! It's a very good race on a fair course. The section through the Industrial Estate is surprisingly beautiful...not :). I'm still 50/50.

I see your definitely running Rotterdam. That's a good choice. As I said before, with every passing race the course in Rotterdam becomes better and faster. I didn't fully appreciate how fast it was on the day. I'll give you the address of the excellent Italian restaurant I went to....twice :cool:. Perfect food for the weekend that's in it.

Yep I've some business to settle with Rotterdam :)

I'm going to make a weekend of the Waterford half, got 2 night b&b in the Viking hotel for 110 euro and there's a few lads I know doing the same from St.Cocoas. There will be pints. tempted yet?

If anyone reading this expects to see a planned out, structured and reasoned training week look away now.....(seriously!)

Monday 10/11

6.25 Miles Easy @6.58p/m in 43:35

Tuesday 11/11

5.5 Miles

Club Track Session

-W/U 2 Miles

400m-76 seconds (3k effort)
    400m-75 seconds (3k effort)
    400m-81 seconds (10k effort)
    400m-81 seconds (10k effort)
    400m-83 seconds (10k effort)
    400m-83 seconds (10k effort)

-W/D 2 Miles

Not really a session so to speak. It was more a remind the club 'I am alive/still running' type of session. Good to be back on the track and great to slowly reintroduce the legs into some faster running.

Wednesday 12/11
    6.53+ Miles

-W/U .25+ Miles (ashamed to even call this a warm-up)
    -3.28 Miles Tempo @5.50p/m in 19.05 (Run in the Dark 5k)
    -3 Miles Easy

The plan was to do a few easy miles before running the race as a tempo. The plan was scuppered when I had to collect my free pack off a friend of a friend. I jogged to the start (.25 miles) and jumped in about 20 rows from the back. I took me an age to get over the line before been held up by walkers right at the start. In the end it was a bit a pointless exercise and very little gained, despite the decent course.

Thursday 13/11

6 Miles Easy @7.24p/m 44:24

Up early and out the door before breakfast and work. The last 2 miles were a real slog. I am still learning to run on empty. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes, like the run this morning, the energy levels become low after 30 minutes.

Friday 14/11

8 Miles Easy @7.06p/m in 56:51
    -inc. 5x30 second strides @5k effort

Strangely the legs were hanging off me at the end. Not as bad as yesterday but still noticeable. Time to ease back on the easy effort runs.

I am putting no pressure on myself this month. The idea is to put in two months of serious training (Dec-Jan) and then to race. I haven't fully decided where or when but things are coming together. I know my main issue at the moment is in the shorter distances. The head says to do a structured 5/10k plan during these months but the heart want to tackle a long distance race, especially as the marathon/marathon training has taken very little out me both mentally and physically.

Saturday 15/11

Medium Long Run
    -13 Miles @7.14p/m in 1.34:04

Sunday 16/11

Rest Day/Sick Day

The problem with drinking is that your usual good standards whilst sober suddenly become non-existent after a few Jamesons and Guinness (I am talking about food by the way :pac:). The platter presented on the pub table at midnight looked appealing and was too had to resist. A good tip is try not to eat something if you are not too sure what it actually is.

The hangover the next morning was nothing special but soon the 'chicken wrap' or whatever I had the previous night left me violently sick. For the first time in two years a rest day due to illness.

Lightweight.

WEEK TOTAL: 45.28 MILES

Monday 17/11

6.10 Miles Very Easy @7.24p/m in 45:10

Delighted to squeeze in a very enjoyable run amid feeling sh1te and work. I really didn't expect to get out at all so a bonus run.

Tuesday 18/11
    9.46+ Miles

-3.36 Miles (with someone I coach)
    -6.10+ Miles Club Session

Club Track Session

5x1km reps @10k effort

1. 3.23 (5.26p/m)
    2. 3.23 (5.26p/m)
    3. 3.21 (5.23p/m)
    4. 3.19 (5.20p/m)
    5. 3.16 (5.15p/m)

-W/D 2 Miles

Arriving late from coaching I missed the first rep but jumped into the remaining five. The lads were doing one mile reps but I felt this was a bit much as I am only reintroducing myself back into sessions. This left me with fresher heading every rep as I had more recovery time. I felt very strong throughout, getting more comfortable with each passing rep. Nice to up the pace on the last rep and get some decent speed into the legs after all the easy miles recently.

Wednesday 19/11

11.55 Miles Easy @7.24p/m in 1.25:25

Very enjoyable morning run with Ecoli. The route wasn't the most conjunctive to running as the traffic on the roads meant a bit of stopping. The plan was to do 10 miles but me being me I got us lost, despite being less than a mile from home :cool:.

With two weeks of easy enough running before training begins in December I may (slightly) go back to basics. It been commented recently at the club (a few times by different people) and by Ecoli this morning about my stride. I have a very short stride with very little knee lift. I will try and focus a bit on this over the next fortnight and introduce a few drills etc.

I am slowly getting appetite back to do some longer runs and heavy training. It's important to give yourself a break in between training blocks so November is important in this regard. I am almost looking forward to doing 3hr/24 mile runs in December and January! Almost.....:)

Thursday 20/11

5.20 Miles Very Easy @7.26p/m in 38:38

A few mile before breakfast and work. Niggles at the moment include a stiff left knee, a very tight left calf and a slightly tight right calf. Glad to a get the run in early and out of the way.

Friday 21/11

8.10 Miles @7.13p/m in 58:29

Preferably I would have liked to do something faster today but with the month that's in it and a few small niggles to annoy, I decided to tip around Dundrum and Milltown in the wind and cold.

Legs back to feeling good so I may choose to either do a hill session tomorrow or use the Tymon Parkrun as a tempo session.

I really must start doing those blasted running drills.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭paddybarry

Thursday 20/11

5.20 Miles Very Easy @7.26p/m in 38:38

A few mile before breakfast and work. Niggles at the moment include a stiff left knee, a very tight left calf and a slightly tight right calf. Glad to a get the run in early and out of the way.

Friday 21/11

8.10 Miles @7.13p/m in 58:29

Preferably I would have liked to do something faster today but with the month that's in it and a few small niggles to annoy, I decided to tip around Dundrum and Milltown in the wind and cold.

Legs back to feeling good so I may choose to either do a hill session tomorrow or use the Tymon Parkrun as a tempo session.

I really must start doing those blasted running drills.......
    Have some knee issues myself. Might see you at Tymon if you decide to do that. Be prepared, it's far from fast.

paddybarry wrote: »
    Have some knee issues myself. Might see you at Tymon if you decide to do that. Be prepared, it's far from fast.

Cool, if the weather plays ball I will head on up for a run. Yeah, heard it's not fast but hopefully I can hit the right effort. Knee is odd, only stiff after running.

Might catch you tomorrow!

Saturday 22/11
    7.19 Miles Various

-1.58 Miles Very Easy (8.11p/m including drills)
    -3.11 Miles Tempo in 17:57 (2nd Tymon Parkrun 5k @5.47p/m)
    -2.50 Miles Easy (7.19p/m)

It's time to get serious. I felt I really needed to get some tempo miles into the legs. To be honest, I really just wanted to go back to bed and do another easy run later that morning. The course was a challenging enough one, with a few water features on the paths to spice up proceeding. The race has one of the fastest starts anywhere, with a very quick downhill section. Mile 1 and 2 were bang on but the 3rd mile was a tough one and the pace slightly dropped. I snapped out of my lull and made a few yards on paddybarry who was a few yards ahead. To have a strong runner like him leading the race was brilliant to have.

Sunday 23/11

7 Miles Easy @7.09p/m in 50:07

Running is a funny old pursuit. Shattered (bed at 5.30am the previous night) and hungover I set out that night not expecting much. Really enjoyable run in perfect winter conditions.

WEEK TOTAL: 54.6+ MILES

Monday 24/11

8 Miles Easy @6.59p/m in 55:55

Tuesday 25/11
    7.50+ Miles

Club Track Session

-2 Mile W/U

Plan: 6x1k @10k effort (200m jog reovery)

Actual:

1. 3.18
    2. 3.22
    3. 3.22
    4. 3.22

400m @10k effort (80 seconds recovery)

1. 80
    2. 78
    3. 77
    4. 77

I strangely felt a bit heavy legged on the warm-up, nothing too bad but noticeable all the same. The effort was pretty honest for the first few reps but I was really feeling the effects during each 200m recovery. I was happy enough to get the 4th rep ticked off before convincing myself to knock out a few 400m reps.

The pace may be a bit too hot for me at the moment. I think 3.25's is where I should be perhaps.

-2 Mile W/D

Wednesday 26/11

Medium Long Run
    -12 Miles Easy @7.03p/m in 1.24:00

Thursday 27/11
    8.60 Miles

AM

4.60 Miles Very Easy @7.18p/m in 33:34

I managed to get a run in, get slightly knocked down and sell a car by 9.30am. Bloody Dublin drivers. How come very few drivers look to their left before taking a left-hand turn (out of a driveway etc.)? Just because the traffic is coming from your right doesn't mean you shouldn't glance to your left before taking-off! Luckily the bonnet was wet. I deftly (yeah right) slid across the bonnet before calmly (yeah right!) informing the driver what he did wrong.

PM

4 Miles Easy @7.00p/m in 28:00

Stuck working and driving all day. I had no real need to head out but sometimes it's just needed.

• Advertisement

Friday 28/11
    8.20 Miles

Plan: 1 mile easy (+drills), 6 miles @Steady effort, 1 mile easy

-1 Mile Easy (7.12)
    -6 Miles @Steady in 37:05 (6.06, 6.06, 6.12, 6.17, 6.13, 6.11)
    -1.2 Miles Easy (7.06, 6.58)

Tymon Park has quickly become a 'go-to-place' for me. It's quiet, well surfaced and has a number of large enough loops contained within. It may be in Tallaght but it's a great place to train (!) The plan today was to work hard but not flog myself. After an easy mile to warm-up I really wasn't feeling it. Not one bit. The wind was acting up and I wanted out! After a number of awkward running drills I felt a bit better so I had no excuse. The first two miles were too fast. I really struggle to slow myself down at times. Fatigue is a natural way of slowing down, anything else is forced.

Job done.

Saturday 29/11

5.10 Miles Easy @6.57p/m in 35:28

Ii stupidly went over on my ankle. Nothing too bad but the swelling was there.

Sunday 30/11

5.10 Miles Easy @6.46p/m in 34:31

I had to scrap the idea of running the Intermediate XC as the swelling was still causing a bit of discomfort. I managed to get out late and luckily the ankle felt better. Definitely the right call to make though.

WEEK TOTAL: 54.50+ MILES

A new month. Let the serious training commence.

Monday 1/12

13.60+ Miles Mountain Run
    -13.11 Miles @6.55p/m in 1.30:41 (Garmin acted up at the start)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/643259888

I really had no idea what to expect today. Sometimes it's best not know. After getting lost several times myself and Go'H got to Marlay Park and got going. The weather was perfect, with the legs feeling ok. After a few easy enough laps of the Park (and meeting David Gillick a few times!) we got to the serious stuff. The inital climb was tough but very manageable. After getting lost (again) and running through a field, we got back onto the road. I was very happy to see the perfect tarmaced road as the climb through the wet field nearly killed me. The climb was once again tough but all was about to change. The climb now became almost vertical and the pace (well, my pace) dropped to 9+ minutes a mile. So much effort and pain and it honestly felt like I was standing still. Maybe I was. My pace continued to drop until it reached walking pace. I gave myself 10 seconds before telling myself to grow-up and just run! We both laughed and compared it to the now infamous Barrow Hill on the Tralee Marathon course (every climb is now compared to it). In truth there was no comparison. Today was a lot harder.

We reached the top and my spirits lifted. The descent was comical. I laughed the whole way down. The steepest section on the ascent became vertical drops on the descent. Go'H bombed on ahead, easily running at sub 4 minute mile pace at times. My passage down was a bit less graceful :). It'll be interesting to see how my legs are tomorrow!

The idea today was to improve my leg strength. Essentially it's resistance training and the benefits I think will be massive. Hopefully I will attempt a similar run once a week.

A quick lap of Marlay Park wrapped up a great run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Tymon Park ... may be in Tallaght

only the crap bit on the other side of the M50 :)

Tuesday 2/12
    8.10 Miles Various

Club Track Session

Plan: Pyramid 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 Minutes (60 seconds recovery)

Minutes/pace per mile:

1. 5.09ish (watch mishap)
    2. 5.11
    3. 5.22
    4. 5.24
    5. 5.21
    4. 5.32
    3. 5.22
    2. 5.23
    1. 5.15

*take the pace with a bit of salt. The pace is Garmin pace. I normally record the pace by the distance covered, not what the Garmin tells me is the pace.

A good hard session, with 25 fast running in total. Late as usual, I ran most of my mile warm-up on the grass pitch inside the track (I now have to run as much on grass as I can....er!). The legs while not tired were quite sore in places after the mountain/trail run the previous day. The session was tough but enjoyable. A certain degree of concentration was needed as any slip could mean losing contact with the group and therefore running in no man's land. I found the 4 minute rep on the return 'leg' the most challenging but I got through it intact.

A really enjoyable session.

Wednesday 3/12

10 Miles Easy @7.02p/m in 1.10:28

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/644499112

What do all the cool kids now say? That's right. #legsinbits :). The previous two days exploits left the legs in some mess this morning. When I say in bits, I really mean it. The calves have felt better after running a marathon. I left the run until late to give the legs a bit of a break. Strangely enough there was plenty of bounce in the legs and the run was nice and easy (very surprised to see the splits).

I don't think two hard days in a row is the best idea though. Might change it up a bit next week.

Thursday 4/12
    10.20 Miles Various

AM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.18p/m in 36:35

PM

5.20 Miles Easy @6.59p/m in 36:18

Meant to be a single ten mile run but just didn't have the time.

Friday 5/12

10 Miles @6.59p/m in 1.09:55

Tonight I introduced Dublin to my new pink gloves. Yes, pink :confused:. I bought three pairs of the excellent Faas 350's so I threw two pairs of gloves into the basket. At €1.44 I couldn't refuse. They are ridiculous. Definitely a glove for night time running!

Saturday 6/12

Medium Long Run
    -14.20 Easy @6.50p/m in 1.37:08

The longest run in quite a while but still a distance that feels short to be the longest run of the week. This week is simply about building the miles so naturally the easy pace runs have come down accordingly. If I had the normal two session week the easy run pace would be somewhat slower. With that said, I am enjoying the faster paced easy run. The weather at the moment (cold and dry) really suits me. I am a winter runner. You can keep you sun and heat!

I am an all or nothing type of person. I am trying to find the balance between enjoying myself and training/racing during this cycle. This includes enjoying myself more and not get hung about drinking or whatever. It's working out well (probably too well) so far and I am really enjoying training. One word of advice though. Don't have a ridiculously hot vindaloo (pain :eek:) for lunch. Keep it for 2am as it doesn't make the ideal pre-run meal!

Sunday 7/12

8.5 Miles Easy @6.51p/m in 58:18 (net uphill)
    -inc. 6 x 45 seconds @5k effort

Although I decided against running/entering the National Novice XC, I decided to use the 8 miles or so from my house to Santry as my run for the day. The run (and strides) was pretty uneventful but the race itself was a bit of an eye-opener. This is now a race I have to run next year. The sheer competitiveness and enthusiasm was a bit of a shock! I definitely made the right decision to skip the XC season but I really must target it next year.

As it's a lapped race it makes a really good spectacle for supporters but likewise, there's no place to hide for the runner! A real man's race.

WEEK TOTAL: 74.6+ MILES

Monday 8/12

Mountain/Hill Run
    -11 Miles @7.14p/m in 1.19:38

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/647561632

Despite not reaching the heights (quite literally :rolleyes:) of last weeks run, today still proved a challenge. It was a perfect morning for it. You just can't beat a cold dry morning. I am still learning how to run this type of session. Looking back on the run I can see why we did a good few miles of running before tackling the serious stuff last week. Today I made the mistake of wanting to get into it too quickly. I find some of the climbs very tough and struggle to get the effort level where it should be. That being said, I am still learning so I will take that for now.

It's scarily easy to tip into the red, even when at times running at 8.3x+ pace. I may be running the uphill sections too quickly and thereby suffering earlier then I maybe should.

Bloody hill running......addictive stuff :). Oh, I got lost. Again. Twice.

No races penciled in just yet. Missing it.

Tuesday 9/12
    10 Miles

Club Track Session

Plan: 8x800m @5k effort (200m/90 seconds recovery)

Splits:

1. 2.47 (5.35p/m)
    2. 2.41 (5.23p/m)
    3. 2.40 (5.21p/m)
    4. 2.39 (5.19p/m)
    5. 2.39 (5.19p/m)
    6. 2.39 (5.19p/m)
    7. 2.39 (5.19p/m)
    8. 2.38 (5.17p/m)

-1 Mile W/U
    -5 Miles W/D

The wind made a straightforward enough session a challenging one. As expected, the times were a bit down but the effort was spot on. Excluding the first rep, the consistency of the remaining seven were remarkably consistent (helped by splits be called out every 200m).

The few 'easy' miles after quickly turned into a slog-fest. For whatever reason I really struggle in the latter miles after completing a track session. All energy quickly left the body but I finally got back to the car and downed my emergency bottle of Sprite and horsed a banana into me. Amazing what a bit of sugar can do for you!

Wednesday 10/12

Long Easy Run
    -17.25+ Miles @7.00p/m

I had a mini-Garmin disaster after I stupidly forgot to restart the watch after I very briefly stopped. I only planned 16 miles but my runner OCD meant me running until I got to 16 miles on the Garmin (17.25 miles in real life). How sad!

I had to push forward the long run as the weekend is work crazy and I simply won't have anytime to fit in a run of any decent length. Good complaint to have I suppose :).

Thursday 11/12
    10.10 Miles Various

AM

5.10 Miles Very Easy @7.14p/m in 36:52

PM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.16p/m in 36:22

Happy to get the miles in on what was a very busy day. The left knee became very sore during the morning run. There is certainly an issue there but for now I will simply keep an eye on it.

Friday 12/12

12 Miles

Plan: W/U, 10 Miles @2.45 Marathon Pace (6.17P/M), W/D

Actual:

-1 Mile W/U (7.49p/m) with drills
    -10 Miles @6.13p/m in 1.02:06
    -1 Mile W/D
    (7.40p/m)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/649562095

One man's tempo is another man's steady run.

With the left knee a bit of an issue at the moment it would be fair to say I was apprehensive about this one. I knew today would be hard as the wind has become very noticeable over the past few days. I took this run down the Phoenix Park as I needed a change of scenery and a place with no traffic lights etc. The session was described as a tempo but as we all know 'tempo' can quite loose in it's definition. I thought about ringing around and trying to get company but I told myself that this needed to be done solo.

The middle couple of miles were tough enough (wind...er!) and I really considered calling it a day after six miles. The wind was really annoying me but on I went. Once I got to 8 miles I knew I was home and quite enjoyed the steady effort. I cruised ran by my coach near the end only to tell him I couldn't stop as I was doing his tempo run (haha!!).

The mile warm-down was the toughest mile of the day. I stopped briefly after the 10 miles to readjust my runner as it was causing me a lot of discomfort (and blood eek.png). Once I started to run again the knee really started to act up. Definitely something to keep a eye on. Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Do you wear spikes or flats for track session?

Personally, I've had similar problems during the cool down after workouts. I found that I was always more fatigued when wearing spikes. I could run the workout perfectly but could barely lift my legs for the cool down. For the last few months, I would bring my normal runner and change into it for the cool down. Haven't had a problem since.

Some quality sessions there DR, impressive work on the 800's. Just my opinion here but I see a lot of quality running this week and no recovery. For me after a very tough track session on Tuesday and a 17 mile run on Wednesday, I would have been running a lot easier than 7:15 min/pace on the Thursday, particularly when you're at it again on the Friday ;) You got some great work in so why not let the body recovery properly as after all it's during the recovery periods when you actually reap the benefits from your session, it may also be a contributing factor to the knee niggle. Maybe you have other ideas but that's just my personal opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

DR I've noticed a lot of talk of niggles and muscle pain recently and your training is still very intensive.

I think it's time to get it checked out before it checks you out for a while. We've all been there thinking it will go away, but it is the bodies way of telling us something is out of kilter.

Just my 2c...

• Advertisement

Do you wear spikes or flats for track session?

Personally, I've had similar problems during the cool down after workouts. I found that I was always more fatigued when wearing spikes. I could run the workout perfectly but could barely lift my legs for the cool down. For the last few months, I would bring my normal runner and change into it for the cool down. Haven't had a problem since.

No, interestingly I have never worn spikes. The risk of injuring myself (esp. calves) has meant me avoiding using them. I think I will from April next year (when I dump this long distance training and go shorter!) I will buy a pair. I think I will avoid doing more than two miles for my warm-down from now on. I was mile chasing. Never a good idea!

Some quality sessions there DR, impressive work on the 800's. Just my opinion here but I see a lot of quality running this week and no recovery. For me after a very tough track session on Tuesday and a 17 mile run on Wednesday, I would have been running a lot easier than 7:15 min/pace on the Thursday, particularly when you're at it again on the Friday ;) You got some great work in so why not let the body recovery properly as after all it's during the recovery periods when you actually reap the benefits from your session, it may also be a contributing factor to the knee niggle. Maybe you have other ideas but that's just my personal opinion.

Completely agree.

I was risking a fair bit this week by front-loading the miles/intensity as I knew the weekend would be manic. Luckily the easy miles over the weekend have recharged the old batteries. It's a very fine line and a tactic I wouldn't advise. It's was a bit stupid of me to be honest.

Yeah, the long run. A bit of a mess that was! I planned to run it easy. I checked the watch for the first time after 8 miles and it was showing an average mile pace of 6.51p/m. My easy pace has come down but I think that is down to me unable to control my pace rather than a natural progression in fitness.

I am enjoying reading your training. It looks like a very smart approach. Depending on how things go over the next few weeks I might see you over there in April! Hopefully I won't end up in the 10km corral again if I do.....:D.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    DR I've noticed a lot of talk of niggles and muscle pain recently and your training is still very intensive.

I think it's time to get it checked out before it checks you out for a while. We've all been there thinking it will go away, but it is the bodies way of telling us something is out of kilter.

Just my 2c...

Yeah, the knee really caused me a bit of problems but I think it is something I can run through. It's always very hard to gauge what to do. I think as runners we will always have some sort of issue. The trick is to prevent a niggle developing into an injury. I think the problems with my left knee is mainly down to my poor downhill technique. I am just awful running downhill.

I always think back to meeting my coach last year in the Phoenix Park when I think of a niggle/injury for a planned tempo run. I sprained my foot the previous night and I could barely walk. It had swelled like no man's business. He took a look and confirmed it was a bad enough sprain. I expected him to pull the plug on the session but he told me to run through it and you can't stop training every time you're injured. The session went great, even though I could barely run on the warm-up! I guess I still have that mantra in my head. It's a very difficult balancing act though.

Saturday 13/12
    10.20+ Miles Various

AM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.36/m in 38:02 (5.20 Miles+ forgot to start watch)

PM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.25p/m in 37:05

Sunday 14/12

6.50 Miles Easy @7.10p/m in 46:37

WEEK TOTAL: 77.05+ MILES

A fair few miles under the target but nothing to get too worked up about (yet). The plan was to increase the mileage by 10% but I didn't quite manage that this week. The weekend gave the legs a healthy amount of recovery and for that they feel in better condition.

Hopefully the next few weeks won't involve front-loading the miles to the start of the week.

Monday 15/12

Mountain/Hill Run
    -12 Miles @7.19p/m in 1.27:52

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/651414703

A really enjoyable but tough run. I am already looking forward to next weeks hill run! Some of the inclines today really pushed the effort levels into the red. At least the reward was tangible for the effort expended. The views across Dublin are simply amazing. One of those days you wished everyone gave running a go so they could experience the simple enjoyment of running up and down a hill :).

Completely agree.

I was risking a fair bit this week by front-loading the miles/intensity as I knew the weekend would be manic. Luckily the easy miles over the weekend have recharged the old batteries. It's a very fine line and a tactic I wouldn't advise. It's was a bit stupid of me to be honest.

Yeah, the long run. A bit of a mess that was! I planned to run it easy. I checked the watch for the first time after 8 miles and it was showing an average mile pace of 6.51p/m. My easy pace has come down but I think that is down to me unable to control my pace rather than a natural progression in fitness.

I am enjoying reading your training. It looks like a very smart approach. Depending on how things go over the next few weeks I might see you over there in April! Hopefully I won't end up in the 10km corral again if I do.....:D.

I figured there was reasoning behind it because you're generally sensible when it comes to recovery, well, sensible enough :p I have also been guilty of front-loading miles and quite recently too but its a risky business and I don't think there's much to be gained while plenty to be lost.

I'm enjoying my training, it's a nice change to what I've been used to and I have a good feeling about it and the upcoming new year. Rotterdam? Do it, just do it. You're training very well, keep going injury free and you'll pull a great performance out of the bag, don't want to give you a time, yet ;)

I figured there was reasoning behind it because you're generally sensible when it comes to recovery, well, sensible enough :p I have also been guilty of front-loading miles and quite recently too but its a risky business and I don't think there's much to be gained while plenty to be lost.

I'm enjoying my training, it's a nice change to what I've been used to and I have a good feeling about it and the upcoming new year. Rotterdam? Do it, just do it. You're training very well, keep going injury free and you'll pull a great performance out of the bag, don't want to give you a time, yet ;)

Yeah, usually I am smart enough. Very simple things like doing a hard run in the morning and having your next run late the next evening/night can make a big difference. You can essentially have 30+ hours of recovery (so a full days rest) if you plan your sessions well.

At the moment I am training for the National 50km in Donadea. The question now is will it be a race effort or a good solid effort with an eye on Rotterdam. The 50km is a race I really want to run but I realise it's not the best call in terms of development. I really need to focus on the shorter distances (10km and lower). Ideally I would be doing virtually no track sessions but I am trying to keep some speed in the legs and not become an ultra-runner (:rolleyes:). I'm not allowed race at the moment. That's probably a good thing as I have really become a good trainer and a bad racer!

I just want to head back to my favourite Italian in Rotterdam, the marathon is just the excuse to head over! That and the disgusting Burger King I had the day after.....haha!

Tuesday 16/12

10 Miles Easy @7.14p/m in 1.12:18

Decided against the usual club session. A combination of a hangover (Christmas Party), awful weather and bad traffic made the decision that bit easier to make.

Wednesday 17/12

11.10 Miles Easy @7.08p/m in 1.19:07

I made a bit of a mess of this run. The plan was to do 10 miles @6.17p/m (2.45 MP) so I took myself down to Tymon Park just after work. By half four the carpark was closing and it was getting seriously dark. I quickly got down to it but the last straw was realising that I wearing not two but three layers of running gear! I wasn't fussed about heading back to the car so I decided to keep tonight easy. The park became seriously dark so probably the best decision. My knee became sore several times during the run. The pain has moved from the side to just below the keep cap. Hopefully it keeps on bloody moving and finally gets the picture and disappears!

Thursday 18/12

11 Miles Various

-.50 Mile W/U
    -10 Miles @6.07p/m
    -.50 Mile W/D

The legs were telling me to get off the hard roads so I decided last night to head down to the gym instead of forcing it and doing this session on concrete/tarmac. It had been a long time since I was last in gym and the treadmill. It thinks it definitely serves a purpose if you can hit the right effort level. Without doubt it is slightly easier but to combat this I put on a decent gradient and a faster pace (6.07 vs 6.17 per mile). A healthy amount of clock watching staring at the stats on the treadmill nearing the end meant I probably hit the correct effort level for this run.

I am as weak as a kitten at the moment in the upper body. I really need to take some classes as I have zero motivation when it comes down to lifting weights etc. Zero.

The plan at the moment seems to be focused around long hard(ish) runs. The mileage is building nicely and I am feeling very strong despite some discomfort. I have entered the Staplestown Marathon (EoI) in late January. I am not sure will this be a long hard effort or an opportunity to simply get some time on the feet. I am really hoping there is some depth in the field around my target time. Looking back I really saw the benefit of running Tralee a few weeks before Rotterdam so hopefully this will hold true for the 50km in February.

As I type I realise how mad my plan is. Not something I would really advise if I were to be honest but something I have always wanted to do :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

The plan at the moment seems to be focused around long hard(ish) runs. The mileage is building nicely and I am feeling very strong despite some discomfort. I have entered the Staplestown Marathon (EoI) in late January. I am not sure will this be a long hard effort or an opportunity to simply get some time on the feet. I am really hoping there is some depth in the field around my target time. Looking back I really saw the benefit of running Tralee a few weeks before Rotterdam so hopefully this will hold true for the 50km in February.

really? i thought you had decided the opposite!

TBB is running that too so he should be around your pace. Actually maybe he in doing the one of the 27th of December

• Advertisement

really? i thought you had decided the opposite!

TBB is running that too so he should be around your pace. Actually maybe he in doing the one of the 27th of December

Cool the more the better!

Yeah, I have flipped many time regarding Tralee but I have finally come to the conclusion that it was a good idea!! I wouldn't recommend it to many but I really think I am the type that needs a few very long runs. To put it simply, I can't get away with maxing out with a few 20 mile runs. God, I would love to be one of those lucky f!ckers!

I have heard the field will be strong for Donedea so looking forward to it.

Friday 19/12
    10 Miles Various

AM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.22p/m in 36:50

PM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.18p/m in 36:29

The legs needed a rest so I decided to split up the day and run twice. Did it work? No. The whole day was consumed by an unnatural tiredness, like the body was fighting something (maybe low iron). Absolutely shattered all day. Pretty sure it wasn't exercise related but I sure like most things running exasperates almost everything and anything.

Saturday 20/12

Plan: 12 Miles Steady/Tempo Run (6.17p/m) with w/u & c/d

Actual: Fail. Not only a failed session but a session I uncharacteristically didn't even attempt.

Result: 13 Miles Easy @7.03p/m in 1.31:41

A tough enough run on paper, basically covering a half-marathon at 1.22:30 pace. For whatever reason I was still really tired. I jumped into the car dreading the thought of running in my fatigued state (never mind the testing windy conditions). The traffic was shocking heading the Phoenix Park so I pulled the plug on the session and parked up in some random housing housing estate a mile or two away from the park. 13 uneventful miles ticked by with only the pain of my knee to keep me company.

Sunday 21/12

Long Easy Run
    -18 Miles @7.12p/m in 2.09:42

Out the door at early enough (for a Sunday) to get a few miles in before meeting Ecolii and TRR. Two decent nights sleep (and a beer or two :cool:) meant the batteries were nicely recharged heading out. An enjoyable run around Tymon with the two lads keeping me company before they departed, leaving me to run home and cover another 6/7 miles.

Broken Record Alert: The left leg/knee is now a bit of an issue and has to be sorted out. The energy levels were very high throughout the run but the pain in the knee in particular meant me considering heading home early. I feel like I am in a bit of a bind. I have never been injured before (touch wood) so it would be fair to say I am very inexperienced when it comes to running related injuries. I don't want to ease back but I definitely don't want to get injured.

I took the last few miles particularly easy so I was still surprised to see the continually miles tick by in 7.05-7.14p/m.

WEEK TOTAL: 85.10 MILES

Monday has become the day to hit the mountains/hills but I will avoid it tomorrow as it's doing the knee no favours. The energy and motivation levels are both very high at the moment so that's a great place to be in.

I will have a serious think about next weeks training before giving the coach a call. Right now I really feel like undertaking a 90+ mile week might be the wrong call.

If I were you A, I wouldn't run again till I had someone look at the knee, even a massage might identify some tightness that is causing the issue.

Telling you what you already know but if you run on it and you end up injured you'll be sick as a parrot!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭paddybarry

Friday 19/12
    10 Miles Various

AM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.22p/m in 36:50

PM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.18p/m in 36:29

The legs needed a rest so I decided to split up the day and run twice. Did it work? No. The whole day was consumed by an unnatural tiredness, like the body was fighting something (maybe low iron). Absolutely shattered all day. Pretty sure it wasn't exercise related but I sure like most things running exasperates almost everything and anything.

Saturday 20/12

Plan: 12 Miles Steady/Tempo Run (6.17p/m) with w/u & c/d

Actual: Fail. Not only a failed session but a session I uncharacteristically didn't even attempt.

Result: 13 Miles Easy @7.03p/m in 1.31:41

A tough enough run on paper, basically covering a half-marathon at 1.22:30 pace. For whatever reason I was still really tired. I jumped into the car dreading the thought of running in my fatigued state (never mind the testing windy conditions). The traffic was shocking heading the Phoenix Park so I pulled the plug on the session and parked up in some random housing housing estate a mile or two away from the park. 13 uneventful miles ticked by with only the pain of my knee to keep me company.

Sunday 21/12

Long Easy Run
    -18 Miles @7.12p/m in 2.09:42

Out the door at early enough (for a Sunday) to get a few miles in before meeting Ecolii and TRR. Two decent nights sleep (and a beer or two :cool:) meant the batteries were nicely recharged heading out. An enjoyable run around Tymon with the two lads keeping me company before they departed, leaving me to run home and cover another 6/7 miles.

Broken Record Alert: The left leg/knee is now a bit of an issue and has to be sorted out. The energy levels were very high throughout the run but the pain in the knee in particular meant me considering heading home early. I feel like I am in a bit of a bind. I have never been injured before (touch wood) so it would be fair to say I am very inexperienced when it comes to running related injuries. I don't want to ease back but I definitely don't want to get injured.

I took the last few miles particularly easy so I was still surprised to see the continually miles tick by in 7.05-7.14p/m.

WEEK TOTAL: 85.10 MILES

Monday has become the day to hit the mountains/hills but I will avoid it tomorrow as it's doing the knee no favours. The energy and motivation levels are both very high at the moment so that's a great place to be in.

I will have a serious think about next weeks training before giving the coach a call. Right now I really feel like undertaking a 90+ mile week might be the wrong call.
    Go to a physio and nip that knee problem in the bud. There is an excellent physio that I go to, who has managed to clear up any issue I have ever had. I will PM you details if you want?

If I were you A, I wouldn't run again till I had someone look at the knee, even a massage might identify some tightness that is causing the issue.

Telling you what you already know but if you run on it and you end up injured you'll be sick as a parrot!

TbL
    paddybarry wrote: »
    Go to a physio and nip that knee problem in the bud. There is an excellent physio that I go to, who has managed to clear up any issue I have ever had. I will PM you details if you want?

Cheers lads, much appreciated.

Going to get it seen to tomorrow. Nothing too bad, just a pain in the ar$e and costing me valuable days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement