Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making every mile count

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Monday 22/12
    10 Miles Various

AM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.26p/m in 37:10

A cheeky run before seeing the physio about my knee, prompted by fear that I will be told not run! Knee not too bad but noticeable.

PM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.27p/m in 37:16

A very cheeky run after seeing the physio. As usual Ecoli did a great job, despite the very necessary pain he put me through! As expected the issue was with my ITB. No knee issue whatsoever during this run.

Tuesday 23/12
    10.50 Miles

AM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.22p/m in 36:55

The difference in the knee was like night and day. Not once did it give out, although the right calf suddenly had it's moment in the spotlight. A sharp pain halfway through reminded me to take it easy this week. Perhaps this was due to the the fast I was compensating (due to the bad left knee) and had put more responsibility on the right leg to pull me through runs.

PM

5.50 Miles

Club Track Session

-1.25 Mile W/U (inc. stretch/drills/strides)
    -400m reps @10km effort with 80 seconds recovery (77,80,76,80,78,79,80,77,77)
    -W/D

Needing to collect my medal (and prize-money :D) from the Dublin Marathon, I headed down to the club and substituted the 1km reps for a few 400m laps of the track. In reality the pace was very easy, aided by long recoveries. I felt I needed to keep in touch with some faster paced running without putting any stress on the body. Job done.

This week will be a step-back week. The body needs a bit of break so that's what it will get! I may do the 5k in Dromore, Sligo on St. Stephen's Day (an excuse of get out of the house!). If I avoid eating all around me on Christmas Day I will tempo run it, not aiming to achieve any decent time. I came 4th lat year in the 10k last year but the last km is through a challenging enough section of forest so I will avoid the longer distance and hopefully latch on to someone in the 5km.

Wednesday 24/12

8 Miles Easy @7.02p/m in 56:17

A night on Wexford Street and the frequenting of many of it's fine establishments meant a serious hangover the next morning for my efforts.

These sort of runs can go way two ways I find:

1. You stumble from corner to corner, trying not to get sick whilst thinking to yourself 'what's the fewest amount of miles I can happily get away with'. Oh, where's the nearest toilet/bush?
    2. The run clears the head and the run turns out to be a joyous occasion, not the disaster you were expecting/deserved!

Luckily the run went joyously well! I got away with it.

Thursday 25/12

Cabin Fever: Day One

5.25 Miles General Aerobic @6.41p/m in 35:05

A run sandwiched in between 'Scrooged' and dinner. In Sligo for the festivities so having the country roads all to myself was fantastic. Bit of a progression run of sorts (6.50-6.30p/m).

Friday 26/12

Cabin Fever: Day Two

Jaysus, running can be a great escape. Brilliant to have few relaxing days but what's with all the sh!te tv and awful movies?!

Ok, this was a mess......:)

Plan:
    8 Miles Easy
    Actual: 14 Miles General Aerobic with a fast finish

14 Miles @6.46p/m in 1.34:51

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/657335390

Amazing to wake up to proper snow this morning. I decided to skip any race because the weather looked pretty bad (that's the excuse I am sticking to!). I got shockingly lost on this run, finally do the unmanly thing and asking a random person for directions. Once again I witnessed why the west has proportionally a higher number of good runners (in my opinion) compared to the larger urban areas. The terrain is never flat. It always seems to rise and fall. You'd be as strong as an ox running on these roads day after day.

Saturday 27/12

6 Miles Easy @7.05p/m in 42:34

Decided to take today handy. The choice was one part playing it safe and one part a distinct lack of sleep.

Sunday 28/12

Long Easy Run
    -20 Miles @7.12p/m in 2.24:05

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/658842485

Felt strong throughout. I took it very handy down any hills. This tactic appears to be working, although the effort isn't as even as I would like. I am working too hard on the ascent and not working hard enough on the descent. That will naturally even itself out during the next few weeks.

I find myself using the Puma Faas 350's for most of my runs recently. A seriously impressive piece of footwear and a darn slight less expensive than other shoe manufacturers (Asics). Not wanting to sound like I am possibly on commission (!) but they also outlast most other shoes.

Looking back on the previous cycle, I felt I didn't have enough 'time on my feet' long runs. The plan is to push out the long run to 3 hours and see how that goes. I don't quite feel the training stimulus yet but I am sure I will.

The long run will look like this over the next 5 weeks: 22, 22, 24, 26.2, 20 Miles (approx.)

WEEK TOTAL: 73.75 MILES

No choice but to take it easy this week. I will look to up the mileage/intensity next week. With it being Christmas it probably worked out well in terms of timing.

Jaysus, the weeks are flying by!

Monday 29/12
    10.20 Miles Various

AM

5.20 Miles Very Easy @7.34p/m in 39:21

PM

5 Miles Easy @7.16p/m in 36:20

A nice easy day to balance out the long run the previous day. At the moment I need to keep the runs a bit shorter than I would really like but I need to look after an issue or two I have in the legs.

Tuesday 30/12
    12 Miles Various

AM

Total: 6.60 Miles

Hill Session

-4.10 Miles Easy (7.15p/m)
    -10x20 seconds @1 Mile Effort
    -2 Miles Easy (7.32p/m)

I found a nice little hill during an easy run last week. I thought it would be good for the 30 second hill rep session I planned but it was a fair bit shorter than I remembered. I increased the effort from the planned 3k pace to 1 mile pace to compensate. A really enjoyable session and a reminder how much I love the short sharp stuff on hills. Not only does it improve leg strength it also serves as the perfect form drill session.

PM

5.40 Miles Easy @7.26p/m in 40:09

Wednesday 31/12

Medium Long Run
    -13 Miles @7.06p/m in 1.32:16

Setting out on the last run of the year I knew this would be a tough enough run. The type of run you encounter every few weeks. That feeling of tightness and tiredness but feeling strong, not seeing the pace drop despite the constant stiffness in the legs.

Thursday 1/1

8.10 Miles Easy @7.09p/m in 57:58

After a busy night (house party :)) today served as a simple maintenance run. A run that keeps you ticking over when feeling <cough> 'delicate'!

Friday 2/1

Long Easy Run
    -23.20 Miles @7.13p/m in 2.47:31

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/662498152

With a busy weekend on the cards I reluctantly pushed forward the long run to today. I really wasn't feeling the love this morning, with a dodgy enough stomach and the prospect of running many miles on my own. When my morning coffee doesn't taste it's usual delicious self I know my stomach ain't great! In truth I was probably a bit apprehensive about what was ahead. The weather was glorious, despite the challenging wind. I took a very bad fall on the 4th mile, destroying my gloves, elbow, toe and right hip. Out of sheer embarrassment I jumped straight back up and marched on. Luckily the pain subsided after a mile or two. A lucky escape.

I really dislike the early miles of most long runs. Today was no different. I only started to feeling strong after almost two hours of running. After hitting the 15th mile the miles flew by and the effort was most definitely easy. Today was more about getting alot of time on the feet rather than hitting certain splits and time.

Two things to note:

-I took on no solids, fluids, water, gels etc. during the run
    -It ended up being my longest ever training run

I am pretty happy how the run went. The knee seized up completely after the run but after a few stretches it loosened out nicely and gave me very little pain throughout the run.

Very little fast running so far this week but that's they way it really has to be at the moment. The body is feeling stronger but the emphasis this week is simply about getting the miles in and doing the best I can in the circumstances :).

I most definitely underestimated the extent of my glorious fall on Fosters Avenue during the early miles of Thursday's long run. The main sources of pain was the toe (took the initial impact) and the hip, which took the full weight of the body. I could barely walk later that day and resembled an old man on his last legs!

The weekend involved a trip to the West and a wedding in Westport. I now have a new word to describe a certain type of workout. The two runs over the weekend served very little real purpose. I now call these types of runs maintenance runs.

The Christmas parties/drinking sessions/wedding are now finally over. It's been great but I have most definitely had my fill!

Saturday 3/1

8 Miles Easy/Maintenance @7.23p/m in 59:06

As mentioned above the legs were in shocking order setting out. The first mile was quite painful but things loosened out before becoming almost as painful during the closing miles.

Sunday 4/1

8.7 Miles Easy/Maintenance @6.58p/m in 1.00:37

Thankfully the legs felt great but the stomach was doing somersaults after the copious amounts of food and drink the previous night.

WEEK TOTAL: 83.2 MILES

Not a great week but far from disastrous. The previous two weeks have resembled base training, with very little specificity. This has kind of left me in a kind of no man's land, not feeling particularly strong in any particular area or distance. I think this week will be important as I will probably make a call on the races I will undertake and the direction in which I want to head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I know how you feel, but the solid mileage will stand to you, no matter what.

Monday 5/1
    13 Miles Various

AM

5 Miles Easy @6.59p/m in 34:54

PM

8 Miles Easy @7.1x (treadmill)
    -inc. 3 pick-ups (5k effort)

One soul destroying hour of unadulterated running fun. I included a good stretching session to compliment the excitement before almost drowning during my two laps of the pool (25m lengths). Long gone are days are the days of me being a very strong swimmer. My arms were falling off me. Embarrassing! Happy to see solid ground again :).

Tuesday 6/1
    10.40+ Miles Various

AM

4 Miles Very Easy @7.38p/m in 30:34

A gentle leg loosener to wake-up the legs.

PM

Club Track Session

Plan: 8x600m reps @5k effort (75sec/200m recovery)

Actual:

-W/U 1+ Miles (grass) inc. drills

Reps:

1. 2.00
    2. 1.59
    3. 1.56
    4. 1.56
    5. 1.54
    6. 1.55
    7. 1.54
    8. 1.54

-W/D 2 Miles

A solid session and a nice introduction into some speed-work after my recent ITB issues. The reps were honest in effort but I really didn't push myself too hard, happy to complete the session with a fair bit left in the tank. Definitely a session to build from. Happy.

Wednesday 7/9

Medium Long Run
    -13.20 Miles @7.07p/m in 1.33:52

In hindsight I ran this a bit too fast. The legs were a small bit tired from the previous nights session so the more sensible option would have been to tip along at 7.15-7.20 a mile pace.

Thursday 8/9
    13.10 Miles Various

AM

5.50 Miles Very Easy @7.35p/m in 41:44

Consciously paid more attention to the pace (and watch) during this run. Quite tired so the plan was to take it quite easy, despite the poxy demanding wind.

PM

7.60 Miles Very Easy @7.26p/m in 56:31

A very successful and enjoyable run. I was quite strict on myself regarding hitting the correct effort level. The run flew by and the effort was right on the money. Wednesday's run was a welcome wake-up call regarding pacing/effort.

Friday 9/9
    12 Miles Various

-W/U 1 Mile
    -10 Miles Steady @6.15p/m
    -W/D 1 Mile

All set to head to the Phoenix Park for this mornings session I really wasn't liking the idea of driving-running-driving. I make every effort not to do any tempo/steady runs on the paths where I live. I find it way too annoying to constantly avoid cars/pedestrians/dogs etc. I made the snap desicion to head down to the gym.

6.15p/m felt like the right effort level so I settled in for the long hall and ticked off the miles in constant boredom. After well over an hour of running I was well and truly sick of the place. The only distraction was witnessing the many people jumping on to the treadmill either side of me and running at 5 minute pace for two minutes before almost dying. What's with that?

I don't get gyms and they don't get me.

How heavy?

I am nowhere near my ideal racing weight. I am hovering just below the 13 stone mark and a good half a stone away from a respectable running weight given my height. I eat well but I love my bread, pasta and chocolate. You can keep your LCHF type of diet.

-I have set-up a Whatsapp group for training runs. It will be mainly Dublin based. If you are interested give me a PM. The idea is to compliment the thread used here. Paces will hopefully vary greatly so will hopefully appeal to many. It will be nothing like Tinder, I swear :pac:.

Saturday 10/1

Long Easy Run
    -22 Miles @7.15p/m in 2.39:38

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/670099005

*the first mile is always long after leaving the house. The Garmin trace is constantly off hence the slower first mile/faster second mile.

With a good sleep had (after watching Gremlins until 1am :)) I awoke to weather warns on the radio. This was not the best way to start the morning of a long run! The usual breakfast of a bagel and weetabix was taken before a cheeky little sleep. After a quick strong coffee I was ready to confront the day and whatever weather was instore for me. The sun was shining while the wind was indeed strong but happily it wasn't as bad as feared. The plan was to do a few miles before meeting Ecolii in Tymon Park. The journey to the park is always into wind and always uphill. It was great to meet someone to tick off 7 or 8 miles in the middle of a long run. It helps breakup the run and makes it seem more manageable.

Next week sees the last long run in training before a training race in Staplestown on the 24th. How the weeks fly by. I may take a gel/energy drink on my long run next week to help mimic race day.

Sunday 11/1

7 Miles Easy/Maintenance @7.16p/m in 50:51

WEEK TOTAL: 90.70+ MILES

Month|Days Run|Miles Run|Daily Average|2014
    January|31/31|347.80|11.20|347.80
    February|28/28|309.20|11.04|657.00
    March|31/31|389.29|12.55|1046.29
    April|26/30|166.34|5.44|1212.63
    May|29/31|215.07|6.93|1427.70
    June|27/30|264.35|8.81|1692.05
    July|31/31|346.03|11.16|2038.08
    August|31/31|377.89|12.19|2415.97
    September|30/30|364.08|12.13|2780.05
    October|27/31|243.25|7.84|3023.3
    November|29/30|203.03|6.76|3226.33
    December|31/31|345.70|11.15|3572.03
    TOTAL|351/365|N/A|9.78|3572.03|

April: Marathon and Recovery
    May: Rushed back into training and paid the price
    June: A few days holiday/stag in Budapest
    October: Marathon Taper/Recovery

2014 Summary:

This won't take long.

The first four months resulted in PB's across all distances raced. The last 8 months disappointed. I didn't really enjoy reading over some of training and reports but races like the Kilomarathon and some excellent training runs proved I was in decent shape in the autumn and winter, despite some forgettable performances.

2015:

Training smarter to race faster.

• Advertisement

Monday 12/1
    15.20 Miles

AM

5 Miles Easy @7.09p/m in 35:45

PM

10.20 Miles Easy @7.14p/m in 1.13:55

Originally penciled in for an easy 8 miles but I embarrassingly got quite lost despite being under 2 miles away from home :eek:. Dublin 12 should be known as The Bermuda Triangle! I must have went by the same church three times. I couldn't get out! Very so happy to see Kimmage Village and familiar ground.

Oh course I could have asked for directions but that's not what us proud Irishmen do!

Tuesday 13/1
    10 Miles Various

AM

3 Miles Very Easy @7.49p/m in 23:29

It's pretty hard to motivate yourself for such a run but getting the legs loosened out in the morning makes a differnce come the session later on.

PM

Club Track Session
    7+ Miles

Plan: 12 x 400m @3k effort (60 seconds recovery)

Actual:

-W/U 1 Mile inc. drills

-6 x 400m

Reps:

1. 77 secs
    2. 75 secs
    3. 75 secs
    4. 76 secs
    5. 76 secs
    6. 75 secs

-6 x 200m

Reps:

1. 34 secs
    2. 35 secs
    3. 36 secs
    4. 35 secs
    5. 34 secs
    6. 33 secs

-W/D 2.78 Miles

Tonight was my first experience of a frozen track. My choice of footwear (Cloudracers) transpired to be a poor choice, with traction difficult to come by. By the 4th rep things were getting worse and I thought about getting off the track before I slipped and/or injured myself. Very happy to hear after the 6th rep that we would finish off with some 200m reps (with diagonal recoveries), using the least effected part of the track. The conditions were costing me a good few seconds a rep but nothing that can do about that. Disappointed not to continue and finish the 400m reps but the decision was the right one. Not often I say that! Things must be on the up :).

Wednesday 14/1

Medium Long Run
    -15.20 Miles Very Easy @7.28p/m in 1.53:28

The miles ticked by nicely this morning in the company of two of Tallaght's finest 'athletes' :). A very enjoyable run to Sean Moore Park/Nature Park before returning to D6 with the wind in our faces. The legs were feeling good so I threw in a few extra miles before deicing my fingers before frost bite set in.

Glad to keep this nice and handy as I took last weeks medium long run a bit too fast after the previous nights session.

Thursday 15/1
    13 Miles Various

AM

5.50 Miles Easy @7.18p/m in 40:08

PM

7.50 Miles Easy @7.10p/m in 53:42

Never listen to weather warnings, simple! You would swear we get proper weather extremes in Ireland if you bothered to listen to the media. We have only really ever two types of weather: mild and fierce mild. Two runs framing a busy working day.

Friday 16/1
    13.5 Miles

-W/U 1 Mile
    -12 Miles Steady @6.11p/m (treadmill)
    -W/D .5 Mile

A good steady effort, hitting the right effort level. I felt very sluggish starting out but after 5 miles I hit a nice groove and the stride/arms found a nice rhythm. The effort felt about right but later on that night I felt shattered so obviously it took a bit more out off me than first thought. Nice to get off the roads and give the legs a bit of break.

Saturday 17/1

Long Easy Run
    -24 Miles @7.04p/m in 2.49:27

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/675622720

Nice to have the long run done and dusted by 2pm on Saturday. It just means your whole weekend doesn't revolve around the traditional Sunday morning long run. I do enjoy my Saturday nights so the last thing I need is an early start the next day! Running is very important to me but so too is a bit of a social life and a few pints of Guinness :). Balance is everything.

The plan starting out was to tick off 22 miles around the 7.15p/m mark, with 'time on your feet' the most important thing. I knew after a mile that I would push it out to 24 miles and try and avoid the temptation to clock-watch. The effort felt nice and controlled, never once pushing it despite the trying wind and cold.

Once again I took on no gels/solids or liquids. I brought along a gel and some money is case I needed it but at no point did I want to take anything on board.

At this stage I really don't find these type long runs hard in anyway. Sure you have your moments questioning your sanity but I no longer find the distance any problem. I guess that old saying of 'it's the pace that kills you, never the distance' has never sounded more true. God, I sound like an ultra-runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I'm more impressed that you managed to run 24 miles without getting lost (for once :P).

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I'm more impressed that you managed to run 24 miles without getting lost (for once :P).

Haha!

I learnt my lesson and stuck to the more familiar surroundings of the good old northside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

yaboya1 wrote: »

Or fall over :)

TbL

Sunday 18/1

8 Miles Maintenance/Easy @7.16p/m in 58:09

It took a lot of self control not to head out and knock out some evening miles. What's it called again? Runners OCD. We do like our round numbers.

WEEK TOTAL: 98.90 MILES

A slight reduction in mileage next week will be needed so brilliant to clock in almost (;)) 100 miles for the week. I struck a good balance during the week, feeling strong throughout. Most importantly it was a very enjoyable training week and one that felt very manageable.

Monday 19/1
    14 Miles Various

AM

6 Miles Easy
    -4.75 Miles Easy (7.16p/m)
    -5x20 second hill sprints (jog down recovery)
    -1 Mile Very Easy (7.55p/m)

There's something very enjoyable about hill sprints. While looking all innocent on paper, they are quite challenging in reality. A serious case of wobbly legs (and hands on knees) meant a very slow mile home. I will try to increase the rep numbers up over the next few weeks. As they are short and sharp recovery is usually not an issue.

PM

8 Miles @7.02p/m in 56:24

Cold and dry with barely a breeze in the air to interrupt. Glorious running conditions tonight.

Tuesday 20/1
    10.25+ Miles Various

AM

4 Miles Very Easy @7.41p/m in 30:41

The usual very easy run before the session later on.

PM

Club Track Session
    6.25+ Miles

Plan: 8 x 600m @5k race effort (200m/75 seconds recovery)

Actual:

W/U: 1.20+ Miles with drills/strides

600m
    1. 1.57
    2. 1.58
    3. 1.54
    4. 1.55
    5. 1.55
    6. 1.54

200m
    1. 32secs
    2. 30secs

W/D: 2.5+ Miles

Felt very comfortable throughout, although I didn't feel in fantastic form. I called it a day after 6 as this week is a small step-back week. I then decided to do some quicker 200m reps just to get the legs moving. Felt good.

Wednesday 21/1

15.30 Miles

AM

10.05 Miles Easy @7.09p/m in 1.11:49

A run with with Mr. Continuity himself, Ecolii. Pretty tired but strong. The usual!

PM

5.25 Miles Very Easy @7.29p/m in 39:16

Two days easy running now before the long run at the weekend.

Thursday 22/1

6 Miles Easy @7.16p/m in 43:36

Friday 23/1

5.20 Miles Very Easy (treadmill)
    -inc. 5 pick-ups

The legs were feeling a bit dead so I threw in some pick-ups to waken. It did the trick nicely. Sometimes a day or two of running easy isn't the best way 'rest'. Sometimes.

Saturday 24/1
    30.91+ Miles Various

AM

EOI Staplestown Marathon

Time: 2.57:04 (26.41 Miles @6.42p/m)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/681471745

What a fantastic morning for a long run. It was my kind of morning. The icy chill of the morning meant a patch or two of ice on the ground but I relish the cold. There's something oddly comforting in the freezing temperatures presented to us this morning.

The race consists of a short out-and-back section before 4 laps of the Kildare countryside. With only a slight breeze to contend with we set off. I quickly fell in beside PM before I waved goodbye to him around Mile 3. His goal of 2.50 was a bit loftier than mine. From that moment the race turned into a solo run, with only the sound of my thoughts to keep me company. The first lap quickly passed by and I felt pretty good. The inner demons were making themselves known but that is all part of getting back into the racing groove.

The course as a typical country affair with a few drags but nothing noteworthy. The lapped course meant that you quickly became familiar with the sights and sounds of Staplestown (the angry dog, the abandoned scooter....etc. :)). The penultimate lap was typically the toughest mentally. I told myself that here is where you get mentally strong. I know I generally have it in the legs but mentally I can let the demons get the better of me at times. Unlike Tralee (similar type training run) last year, I didn't have the safety net of a pacer. The plan all along was to run comfortably and not to focus on the watch/pace. The last mile or two proved very enjoyable. Job done.

An excellently organised race, on a fantastic course, ran with very friendly people. What more can you ask for?

PM

4.50 Miles @7.49p/m in 35:11

A good leg shakeout (before some beer!). The legs felt a bit tender setting out but loosened out nicely by the second mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Some good pictures on PM's Flickr page, you were obviously under no presure, smiling in every one. Some running for an LSR.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Some good pictures on PM's Flickr page, you were obviously under no presure, smiling in every one. Some running for an LSR.

Some class photos alright.

Thanks. It more of a mental test than physical. I just needed to run the distance to cleanse myself after the previous marathon attempt! Bit more confidence now heading towards the 50km.

Donadea? Might see you there, doing some marsalling for um1 at it.

Donadea? Might see you there, doing some marsalling for um1 at it.

Cool. Yeah, Donadea. Not sure how to run it yet but I will be there. Probably won't be smiling though! Have to decide this week whether to 'race' it or use it like yesterday as a solid long run effort and pick a marathon in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Cool. Yeah, Donadea. Not sure how to run it yet but I will be there. Probably won't be smiling though! Have to decide this week whether to 'race' it or use it like yesterday as a solid long run effort and pick a marathon in April.

I've purposely read back about 3 pages of this log and I haven't a bog what you are planning on doing! Are you training for a 50k in February, a marathon in April, 5ks in March or track races :confused::confused::confused:

Need to nail your flag to the mast and train specifically for something before they catch up on you!

I've purposely read back about 3 pages of this log and I haven't a bog what you are planning on doing! Are you training for a 50k in February, a marathon in April, 5ks in March or track races :confused::confused::confused:

Need to nail your flag to the mast and train specifically for something before they catch up on you!

Pretty much bang on the money there with your assessment (errr! :pac:).

Working backwards is probably the best way to go about things. I will be doing a marathon in October (venue tbc). The outline will hopefully look like this: 5k plan-tranisiton phase-marathon specific-race. I am falling into the trap of being a one pace runner. I need to knock seven shades of sh1te out of my 5k PB. At the moment I am in limbo, not really sure what to do. The options are to race/throw the kitchen sink at the 50km or to use it as a training run before an attempt at a marathon. At the moment I don't think i'll run a particularly good time in Donedea nor place well so I am not too sure what I will really gain from it. I have an axe to grind with the marathon and that is wrecking my head.

You are right, it's crunch time. Interested to get your opinion.

By the way, I have no ambition in racing on the track. That'll be only a bit of fun!

Pretty much bang on the money there with your assessment (errr! :pac:).

Working backwards is probably the best way to go about things. I will be doing a marathon in October (venue tbc). The outline will hopefully look like this: 5k plan-tranisiton phase-marathon specific-race. I am falling into the trap of being a one pace runner. I need to knock seven shades of sh1te out of my 5k PB. At the moment I am in limbo, not really sure what to do. The options are to race/throw the kitchen sink at the 50km or to use it as a training run before an attempt at a marathon. At the moment I don't think i'll run a particularly good time in Donedea nor place well so I am not too sure what I will really gain from it. I have an axe to grind with the marathon and that is wrecking my head.

You are right, it's crunch time. Interested to get your opinion.

By the way, I have no ambition in racing on the track. That'll be only a bit of fun!

You're gas. I've read your response twice and I still don't know what you're doing :)

If you want my opinion, forget about 50k and spring marathon. Target 5ks. They come thick and fast and once you get in the grove of racing them they are great fun. If you want to take a serious chunk off your marathon PB your 5k time needs to be sorted. But you know this already!

As an example I was stuck 2.47-2.49 for years until one year I spent 6 months on shorter stuff. Next marathon was an 11 minute PB. It's worth the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Gonna agree with tRR's sentiment.

Personally looking at your training now no doubt you are as strong as an ox I think this has created a situation whereby there is a very fine line between a great marathon and a disaster (by this I am thinking about 5 min swing)

I think that you will actually outperform most people the harder the conditions are but ultimately I feel that the faster the course the more it would actually negatively affect your performance (not time wise but in relation to where you stack up against other runners in the field). I think on a difficult course you would have no problem hanging with 2.3x marathoners any day of the week but ultimately I think this high consistency of steady state style training does not full lend to a lightning fast marathon which you are capable of. You have the engine just need to fine tune the gears

I think focusing on this area for 4-6 months would have huge implications on your marathon PB come the Autumn

Well have you had any thoughts on you short to long term plan is yet?
    I won't be shocked if you tell me you're considering doubling up and doing the national 50K in Donadea and national indoor high jump ;)

Well have you had any thoughts on you short to long term plan is yet?
    I won't be shocked if you tell me you're considering doubling up and doing the national 50K in Donadea and national indoor high jump ;)

Haha! Now that you've mentioned the high jump.....:)

Where the hell is my reply? I replied but I mustn't have posted it, woops! Sorry about that. I'll get around to it later. It'll be a tasty one....hold tight :D:D.

Sunday 25/1

5 Miles Easy/Maintenance @7.15 in 36:16

WEEK TOTAL: 86.66+ MILES

Monday 26/1
    12.35 Miles Various

AM

5.15 Miles Easy @7.19p/m in 37:39

PM

7.20 Miles Very Easy @7.34p/m in 54:25

Although fatigued, I felt strong today. Despite the marathon being only two days previous, the legs were in good shape but obviously a bit tired. I decided to take the PM run nice and handy. It turned out to be a really enjoyable hour running freely around South Dublin.

Tuesday 27/1

11.30+ Miles Various

AM

3.50 Miles Very Easy @7.35p/m in 26:31

The traditional Tuesday morning leg loosener. Absolutely shattered after the run and was really apprehensive heading into the nights session.

PM

Club Track Session

7.80+ Miles

Plan: Pyramid Session 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 Minutes (3k-5k effort with 45-60 seconds recovery)

Actual:

W/U: 1 Mile (inc. drills) @7.42p/m

1: 1.00 .18 Mile (approx.-watch mishap)
    2: 2.06 .40 Mile @5.13p/m
    3: 3.01 .57 Mile @5.18p/m
    4: 4.02 .75 Mile @5.26p/m
    5: 5.01 .92 Mile @5.28p/m
    4: 4.02 .74 Mile @5.28p/m
    3: 3.01 .57 Mile @5.18p/m
    2: 2.00 .39 Mile @5.08p/m
    1: 1.00 .21 Mile @4.47p/m

W/U: 2.09 Miles

Tiredness? What tiredness! It's amazing the internal switch that is turned on when you lace up your flats and jump onto the track. Very happy with the nights work. I felt very strong, pushing the pace on the latter reps. One of the stronger runners, not usually there on a Tuesday, was taking part so that gave a nice target (although he finished some bit ahead for most of it!). Most of the lads were a bit tired from racing Raheny at the weekend. I had to remind myself of my 30+ mile day on Saturday. The session felt comfortable but the last 2/3 reps I began to work. The plan tonight was simply to focus on form and to run smart. Really enjoyable.

The plan going forward:

2015: Short-Term

Donadea 50km

With the race a mere two and a half weeks away, I feel like I have put myself in a decent position to do myself justice and perform reasonably well. I currently feel like I could target going through the marathon distance relatively comfortably (:o) in 2.54-2.56 and see how the remaining miles go. In saying that, that all depends on the next few weeks. I don't think a two week taper will suit me this time around and I may shorten it to 10 days.

Spring Marathon

Rotterdam in April makes sense in many ways. I am confident that I could run a sub 2.44 marathon but I don't want to run a sub 2.44 marathon. Although it would prove a good time it's not what I really want and the time is right to set the foundation for the next few years (eek!). Decision? Not this year.

2015: Medium-Term

Thankfully I have a holiday booked in at the end of February. I will take the few weeks after Donadea very easily. I would prefer heading into a new plan a small bit under-cooked than tired and mentally fatigued. The goal from March onwards is to concentrate on the 5k. It's my weakest distance at the moment and will require a good few races to come to terms with. I am not too sure how to approach it just yet (coach/plan) but I will think about that later.

2015: Long-Term

An autumn marathon, either Eindhoven, Frankfurt or Amsterdam.

Donadea here I come! Cannot wait. Sorry for the ramblings above. It's good to put it down on paper (well on a screen :pac:). Thanks for all the advice. I did reply but in my haste must have forgot to click 'submit reply'. Don't worry TRR, I have the high jump penciled in for early 2016 :).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

Don't worry TRR, I have the high jump penciled in for early 2016 :).
    You have height in your favour but your short stride will need work if you are to get the technique right.

• Advertisement

oldrunner wrote: »
    You have height in your favour but your short stride will need work if you are to get the technique right.

Never say never! One thing I would love to give a go is the javelin but I have zilch upper body strength.....damn all this running! My stride is getting an average of three comments a week. Time to sort it out :).

Better do this before all the runs completely blend into one!

Wednesday 28/1
    16 Miles Various

AM

10 Miles Easy @7.13p/m in 1.12:10

PM

6 Miles Easy @7.21p/m in 44:08

Knowing when to back off is more important than knowing when to push on. It may sound simple but many of us, including myself, are very guilty of following a plan to the letter or just being plainly stubborn. Instead of the usual medium long run I decided to break the run into two and lessen the effort on the legs. It might help the legs but the washing machine ain't thanking me with all the extra gear I am putting into it at the moment......:).

Thursday 29/1
    13 Miles Various

AM

6 Miles Easy @7.18p/m in 43:49

PM

7 Miles Easy @7.12p/m in 50:28
    -inc. 5 x 30 second strides @5k effort

Friday 30/1

AM

Long Easy Run
    -20 Miles @7.03p/m in 2.20:56

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/685964334

A good strong run but the legs were really hanging off me during the last hour or so. That feeling of being shattered but unable to slow down. The effort level slightly increased but I wasn't pace watching so happy to see the consistent enough splits. The drag up the N11 from RTÉ has to be some of the most demoralising stretches of road in the country! The endless climb with the wind in the face can make it a tough old slog. The form suffered a bit on this section but I recovered well on the descent into Blackrock. From there it was mile after mile into a bad enough headwind.

Happy to say this was my last long run. I think I have had my fill at this stage!

*A few miles tonight to round off the day with a young lady I coach. She managed to knock two minutes off her 5k time recently after a long break out. Pretty confident she has the ability to place quite well in places later in the year. Watch out ladies! Hopefully my legs will have recovered enough to keep up.

Friday 30/1
    23 Miles Various

PM

3 Miles Recovery @9:59p/m in 28:58

A few nice miles with someone to loosen out the legs from the mornings long run. Nice to see someone else do the work on the hills. My job? Time-keeper/chief-encourager. Much better than sitting on the couch for the night, that's for sure.

Saturday 31/1

6.5 Miles Very Easy (treadmill)

As close to a rest day as I give myself at the moment. It's simply mind-boggling how exciting the gym is on a Saturday morning. I would go into detail but the stories would melt your face :).

To race or not to race, that was the question. I won't lie, I secretly harboured ambitions of keeping myself fresh in case I decided to race the Trim 10 the following day. I felt a bit tired but felt I could knock out a decent training run (58 minutes) and possibly sharpen myself for Donadea. After a bit of a think about it I came to the conclusion that there would be very little gained from the experience. I really wanted to race but my performance would have been sub-par (80+ miles already for the week) so I passed. Tough not to head down though. Really miss the buzz of racing. That got me thinking. How sharp do you really need to be to run a 50km race?

Sunday 1/2
    19.75 Miles Various

PM

15.75 Miles

-W/U 1.25 Miles (with drills)
    -Half-Marathon @Steady Effort
    (13.25 Miles @6.15p/m in 1.22.51)
    -W/D 1.25 Miles

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/688002020

Tymon Park or the Phoenix Park? Still undecided as I jumped in the car I finally settled on the Phoenix Park because a) I haven't been there in a long time b) it was a glorious day c) it's not in Tallaght (only joking!). I pretty much did everything in the morning to avoid running. I really delayed this run as I really wasn't feeling the love for a longish solo effort. I guess this was quite a normal feeling to have approaching taper. I am desperately missing my nights out, so after a boring Saturday night in front of a book/tv meant that training and the sacrifices made to train were taking their toll.

Luckily the internal switch suddenly turned on after I put on my racing flats in the carpark beside the Papal Cross. I had initially intended to do 10-12 miles at a conservative 6.30p/m but the first two miles came up in a comfortable 6.15p/m so I went with the flow. I had to laugh during the warm-up. I wasn't 3 minutes into it before someone shouted ''lengthen your stride''. I now know who you are so watch your back!! :) Haha. Initially I had planned to a flat loop of just under two miles but I soon got bored and told myself to man up and hit the hills.

A good moderately hard effort on near perfect day for running. I know a sub 1.15 HM is very possibly there for me this year. Once I discover how to train like sh!te and race like a demon there will be no stopping me! Yeah right.....

Later PM

4 Miles @7.38p/m in 30:31

WEEK TOTAL: 101.90+ MILES

Taper: Week 1

I will preface this by writing that in no way does this feel like the usual 'taper-mode'. Maybe it's the fact that it's not the traditional marathon taper or possibly it's the simple reason that I have no expectations, time or placings, heading into race. The plan is to leave myself fresh enough for next Saturday by running a 65-70 mile week. Anyway......:)

Monday 2/2

8 Miles Easy @7.05p/m in 56:39

Tuesday 3/2
    10.2 Various

AM

3 Miles Very Easy @7.31p/m in 22:33

PM

Club Track Session
    7.2 Miles

I missed the group so I ended up doing this makey-uppy session by myself on the frozen track.

-w/u
    -10 x 30 seconds @3k effort with 220m easy recovery (floating)
    -w/d

Maybe missing the group was a blessing in disguise as I probably would have pushed myself more but the effort felt right tonight. It was good to get some speed in the legs without tiring the body. Although by the 8th rep I was working quite hard!

Wednesday 4/2

7.34 Miles Very Easy @8.06p/m in 59:30

Up nice and relatively early on possibly the coldest morning of the year to meet Yaboya and ECOLII. An enjoyable run on mainly frozen grass and a good way to start the day.

I have plenty more free-time now. I might take up knitting or something! It's hard to pull yourself back when you are in a groove of training hard but I should enjoy it now as the real fun begins in March!

Thursday 5/2

6 Miles Easy @6.59p/m in 41:55

Didn't feel the greatest during this run but seeing 6:xx average pace on an easy run meant that things weren't that bad. Probably a shade bit quick for a pre-breakfast run but the legs dictated the pace.

Friday 6/2
    10 Miles

Steady/Progression Run

-w/u 1 Mile (7.09p/m) inc. drills
    -8 Miles @5.59pm in 47:54
    -w/d 1 Mile
    (7.04p/m)

8 Mile Splits:
    6.13, 6.08, 6.03, 6.04, 6.01, 5.58, 5.52, 5.33

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/691045237

Like most great plans it went out the window as soon as I started the steady run. I initially planned to run even paced 6.30's, with a view to preparing myself for next week. Sometimes you have to just go with the flow rather than stick to a preordained pace. In saying that I would be pretty perplexed if I saw someone doing like-wise. The idea was to run by feel and soon the first mile beeped (6.13). The pace felt very controlled, although my shoulders just would not relax. This had a knock on effect meaning the arms felt quite awkward. I made the decision to avoid pace watching and was surprised to see mile six come in at 5.58. From here on in I gradually upped the pace, finishing at tempo effort (80-85% effort/5.33 last mile).

I mentioned to ECOLII and yaboya1 during the week that is usually takes me a long time to fully warm-up. If I had a 5k tomorrow I would find it tougher to run a 5.33 first mile then I did running the last mile today. For whatever reason that just doesn't add up. All in all a good sharpener.

Saturday 7/2

Medium Long Run
    -14.50 Miles Easy @7.02 in 1.42:03

Initially scribbled down as a 13 mile run, I decided to push out the distance to 14+ miles in order to keep the legs ticking over beyond 1.5 hours. I set out to run around 7.20 per mile pace but the legs wanted a quicker pace but I probably should have eased up as I felt pretty tired after the hour mark. Tired but if someone gave me a sugary drink I could have easily done another 10+ miles so not all bad. The tiredness was probably slightly down to previous days hard run but all runs before a race are tough psychologically (for me at least).

Now off to Croke Park to see Dublin demolish Donegal.....

Sunday 8/2

5 Miles Very Easy @7.32p/m in 37:40
    -inc. 5x(30 sec strides @5k effort)

One of those days. I really struggled to force myself out the door. I got sucked into watching the Mayo/Tyrone game on the tv. I was all set to put the months rent/alcohol budget/money behind the sofa on Mayo so delighted to see Tyrone win. Lucky escape!

GAA Football Betting Tips:

Never Back:
    Mayo (the curse), Galway (too emotional, like women and race horses) and Kildare (serial underachievers)

Back to the running. Pretty ashamed to say that today's run was my first ever run totally on grass. The miles flew by and I really enjoyed the soft underfoot conditions today in Bushy Park.

WEEK TOTAL: 61.04 MILES

Monday 9/2

6 Miles Easy @7.13p/m in 43:18

Ran up to Bushy Park to knock off a few miles on grass. Quite enjoying running on grass at the moment.

Tuesday 10/2

5 Miles Easy @6.52p/m in 34:22
    -inc. 2 Miles Steady (6.37,6.36)

A few miles steady to keep the legs sharp. There's nice short loop around the canal so decided to tick off the steady miles here.

Wednesday 11/2

4 Miles Easy @7.15p/m in 29:01
    -inc. drills

Five laps of Bushy Park to remind the legs how to run. Give me 100 mile weeks anytime.

Thursday 12/2

2.5 Miles @7.10p/m in 17:55
    -inc. 3 x 30 second strides @5k effort

Friday 13/2

2 Miles @7.17p/m in 14:35
    -inc. 1 x 30 second strides @5k effort

Saturday 14/2

Donadea 50km

DNF

15.51 Miles @6.41p/m in 1.43:37

Lap 1: 21:09 (inc. extra at start)
    Lap 2: 20:20
    Lap 3: 20:17
    Lap 4: 20:44
    Lap 5: Didn't register

I will be in honest and confess that I would prefer not to log anything and move on from this most forgettable experience as quickly as possible. In order to put this experience to bed it is important to learn from your mistakes and admit when you have simply got things wrong. Very wrong.

The hours before the race went like clockwork and I was very much looking forward to the race. I was excited to finally see the course and meet up with some great people. Just at 10am the gun went off and I quickly settled into my planned pace (6.36p/m) without even trying. I didn't feel too great though but I never do at the start of any race so I wasn't overly concerned. I passed the OH at 2km and I knew even then something wasn't quite right. The first lap went by in a blink of an eye but my problems persisted. The stomach was doing it's very own somersaults and every step was getting that bit harder. I was beginning to get pretty bad stomach cramps and all I wanted to was stop and use the 'facilities'. After a brief pit-stop I instantly felt alot better and quickly caught up to my two-man group just ahead (one went on to a 3.17 finish. Incredible running). The average pace was still holding strong and things didn't look all that bad. I was still holding a decent pace despite my troubles. I told myself that the rough patch was over and the race was only 6 miles in. I tried to convince myself that you can ease yourself into the race and still run a sub 3.30.

Things took a turn midway through the 3rd and became a bit ugly. I hate saying this but all I wanted to do was stop and once more visit the 'facilities'. I was now in pretty bad shape but the legs were holding up admirably. I struggled on and ticked off another lap. I knew deep down that I was on borrowed time. During the 4th lap I had to stop twice. Nothing helped and my race was essentially over at that point. The annoying most thing was that when running I was still ticking off 6.2x/6.1.x miles. Halfway through the lap the head went and more importantly the heart for the battle was doing like-wise. I finally (well almost) stopped for the last time after completing the 4th lap. The average pace was still good (6.38p/m) considering but everything below the neck and above the legs just had enough. Like the turkey on Christmas Day, I was finally done. I put my hands on my knees for 2 minutes, desperately trying not to get sick. As soon as I stopped running the pain went and I felt decent once again.

At this point Dr. Q jogged by me and I said 'FNCK IT!' I removed my extra layer and decided to give the race one last go. I told myself to give yourself one more chance and that seeing him might have even been some type of warped Divine inspiration! (Yes, I was that deluded). The slightly slower pace (he was on a training run) suited me and I felt a bit better. Not even five minutes into my 5th lap I started to feeling pretty awful again and worryingly becoming very cold. I waved goodbye at the end of the 5th lap, too embarrassed to even run over the chip sensors. My first ever DNF.

Could have I pushed it and tried to run off the discomfort and pain? Quite possibly. In retrospect my desire to finish the race couldn't get me to the end line on Saturday. It wasn't to be a 'must finish race'. I wasn't willing nor able to force myself around another 15 miles. The stomach had crushed the fight.

TBC.......

Proves never judge a book by its cover, i thought you looked strong everytime you passed me and the discarding of the t-shirt meant you were pushing on. Hard luck, in fairness nothing you can do if your stomach doesnt play ball.

Proves never judge a book by its cover, i thought you looked strong everytime you passed me and the discarding of the t-shirt meant you were pushing on. Hard luck, in fairness nothing you can do if your stomach doesnt play ball.

If I hide the pain well that's good I guess!! :)

I know what you mean. It's very hard to read how people are going. Hope you enjoyed the day. I had a lot of fun despite what happened!

• Advertisement

Continued.......

The Donadea 50km is a remarkable race. I can not recommend it highly enough. In my opinion it's a real must do for runners. The atmosphere and organisaton makes it stand out as one of the best races in the country.

I will be back but it won't be next year. When I do I will right a few wrongs and sort out some unfinished business. You can hold me to that :).

Some observations:

Taper: I over-tapered. I cut the miles back too dramatically. I always lose a bit of confidence during every taper and I think this results in me slashing the miles. In doing so I lose even more confidence because I am not doing what I love.

Nutrition/Hydration: I think the stomach issues stem from drinking too much sugary sports drinks the day before and the morning of. The busy is very familiar with such drinks as I never take them usually. The coffee 45 minutes before the off hardly helped either.

Going forward:

The one positive from the race is that body and legs are in great shape. There is no recovery necessary but a holiday this weekend gives me a much needed break away from the sport. The plan was always to get stuck into some 5k training after Donadea. While this has not changed I may run a half next month. Thoughts of running Rotterdam crossed my mind but this would have been merely papering over the cracks.

The pressing need is to nail down a coach. I am an awful man for over-thinking. I just need to trust in a person and do what they say. I'm not too sure what direction to go in yet regarding coach/club.

I can't wait to race in the shorter distances over the coming months. I will leave the Garmin at home and run completely on feel. This will inevitably lead to some questionable performances but I feel I need the freedom to just run and have fun.

Saturday 14/2

PM

5.25 Miles @7.02p/m in 36:58

Stomach still at me a bit but the legs were in good shape (er!). Almost 21 miles done for the day. Just another 10 and well......:rolleyes:

Sunday 15/2

7 Miles @7.07p/m in 49:51

WEEK TOTAL: 47.26 MILES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Learn your lessons and put it behind you, next year will be all the sweeter for it. I was looking through the photos I took yesterday and you looked very comfortable in all of them, you kept it well hidden!

PaulieC wrote: »
    Learn your lessons and put it behind you, next year will be all the sweeter for it. I was looking through the photos I took yesterday and you looked very comfortable in all of them, you kept it well hidden!

Thanks.

Was afraid to look through the photos.......just in case there was someone hiding in the bushes...:eek: Luckily it seems I was spared the embarrassment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Thanks.

Was afraid to look through the photos.......just in case there was someone hiding in the bushes...:eek: Luckily it seems I was spared the embarrassment!

Nah, there's even a couple of two feet off the ground shots...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭paddybarry

Don't beat yourself up too much. You can't legislate for getting sick.

Delighted to see that you are going to focus on getting quicker. Think that you need to do this in order to move up to another level. Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve on the back of this.

You are a fantastic trainer. Any coach would be lucky to have you. I honestly think that getting a coach is as important as getting faster, if you are to progress to where you want to go. With respect, your sessions lacked some direction up to now.

Best of luck and enjoy the break.
    PB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

That's a real pity. With your training recently, I thought this would be the ideal race for you. You must be very strong aerobically.

Anyway, put it behind you and now you can concentrate on some real running...

....Beer Mile 2015 :D

paddybarry wrote: »
    Don't beat yourself up too much. You can't legislate for getting sick.

Delighted to see that you are going to focus on getting quicker. Think that you need to do this in order to move up to another level. Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve on the back of this.

You are a fantastic trainer. Any coach would be lucky to have you. I honestly think that getting a coach is as important as getting faster, if you are to progress to where you want to go. With respect, your sessions lacked some direction up to now.

Best of luck and enjoy the break.
    PB

Cheers, that's a really good post to get. I hope all is well with you.

Lack direction? Completely agree. It's been a mess but they say you learn from your mistakes so if that holds true I should have learned a thing or seven! I am in realistic in knowing that it'll be very hard for me to compete at the sharper end in the short distances. In saying that to really improve over the longer distances I really need to get my 5k (sub 15.45) and 10k (sub 32.45) down massively. That a long way off but that has to be the long term target. I may never get there but that's the goal :pac:.

I am willing to put the work in but I am no longer willing to put in 90-100+ mile weeks without seeing some type of return.
    That's a real pity. With your training recently, I thought this would be the ideal race for you. You must be very strong aerobically.

Anyway, put it behind you and now you can concentrate on some real running...

....Beer Mile 2015 :D

Oh the beer mile.

Winning will be sweet. Beating TRR will make my year though! :) He's in good nick so am hoping he falls off the wagon after London!!

Yeah, aerobically strong but not over any particular distance (if that makes sense!). Super running at the weekend. You are coming into some crackin' form.

Winning will be sweet. Beating TRR will make my year though! :) He's in good nick so am hoping he falls off the wagon after London!!

Dream on sunshine. I working on my running base at the moment. May and June will be all about my beer drinking. You are going to have to run a minute quicker than you did last year to even get a sniff of my beer burps and beer farts.

Dream on sunshine. I working on my running base at the moment. May and June will be all about my beer drinking. You are going to have to run a minute quicker than you did last year to even get a sniff of my beer burps and beer farts.

Pretty confident I'll go sub 6.40. That'll take the win I reckon. Sad I know but this year I won't do a 10 miler beforehand and I'll actually practice my swigging.

Sub 6.40? That's pavement smashing form my friend! I want to also lap ECOLII if he mans up and turns up this time.

• Advertisement

6.40 might be enough for second!

Advertisement