Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making every mile count

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Pretty confident I'll go sub 6.40. That'll take the win I reckon. Sad I know but this year I won't do a 10 miler beforehand and I'll actually practice my swigging.

Sub 6.40? That's pavement smashing form my friend! I want to also lap ECOLII if he mans up and turns up this time.

All this talk of Marathons, Ultra's and 5k's is a smoke screen this is the real goal for the year :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

ECOLII wrote: »
    All this talk of Marathons, Ultra's and 5k's is a smoke screen this is the real goal for the year :P

:) He nearly had trr thrown off the scent too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

This week can be divided into two distinct parts:

1. Monday-Friday

Running. By running I mean simply that. Nothing fancy, just ticking over and keeping the legs moving. In reality this week is week 1 of 5k training.

2. Saturday-Tuesday: Lisbon

Looking forward to some bad food and some time away. There will be intense training sessions in the evenings with the the countdown to the National Beer Mile on the horizon :). I may lower my target to 6.30 with the prospect of a fierce battle looking likely.

The boring stuff.......

Interesting to read that jebuz has secretly stolen my hidden plan for the week! A quick look through the drawer (that drawer and has everything and nothing in it) meant I found the trusty casio stopwatch. The colour? A fetching pink. Everyone PB has be run using just the stopwatch. Time to go back to basics and back to the 80's (thanks jebuz.)

The plan? Run everyday for 60 minutes. Pink casio on the right wrist and the garmin on the left. I never looked once at the garmin, relying purely on feel. The garmin served as a evaluation tool, only to be used on competition.

Monday 16/2

60 Minutes Easy: 8.85 Miles @6.59p/m in 1.01:44

Tuesday 17/2

60 Minutes Easy: 8.75 Miles @6.56p/m in 1.00:42

Wednesday 18/2

60 Minutes Easy:
    8.80 Miles @6.56p/m in 1.00:58

*Interesting to note that all three runs averaged within quite a small window (6.56-6.59p/m), despite the contrasting routes.

Two more 60 minute runs to round off the week......

Thursday 19/2

60 Minutes: 9.50 Miles @6.24p/m in 1.00.48

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/701087360

I guess we should call this a steady run. The opening few miles felt handy enough. Sticking to the plan for the week I neglected the watch but made the mistake of instinctively looking at the it after it beeped (Mile 4). I was pretty surprised to see 6.14 for the mile pop up as it really didn't feel that fast. Anyway me being me I stubbornly stuck to the same effort, dodging the good people in Donnybrook to maintain the pace. The stretch along the canal heading towards Harold's Cross was fairly grim (6.24 pace) with a very strong headwind, hailstones and rain to contend with. The drivers in traffic must think us runners are a tad bit mad. The long drag from Rathmines and up the Rathgar Village was tough enough going and the effort was approaching tempo effort. This mile was a 6.10 but I reckon it would be 5.40 pace on a flat surface (and without the wind!).

An enjoyable run, completely unplanned but felt right.

Friday 20/2

60 Minutes: 9.25 Miles @6.44 in 1.02:20

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/701703169

Much like the previous days run, I was interested to see that the pace was a fair bit quicker than thought. I decided to push the pace at the end and finish fast (5.24 pace). Why not? :).

Saturday 21/2: Holidays
    Sunday 22/2: Holidays

WEEK TOTAL: 45.15 MILES

Happy to say that things are slowly taking shape heading into the next block. I am going to make big efforts in strength and conditioning heading into the next phase (and lose a stone in weight).

Some observations from the week:

-I have lost my sense of pace. I have very little idea how fast/slow I am running. In fact, without referring to the watch I tend to run 15-20 seconds a mile faster

-Felt very weak in the arms and shoulders (see s&c above)

-If you put a spread of biscuits, homemade cakes/buns and chocolate brownies in from of me I will buckle. I will eat. I will eat for a small family. The intermission in the show I am playing in this week has the most impressive halftime spread yet seen. A blessing and a curse!

*I have just checked the last day I took a rest. This is far from a self-congratulatory observation but it was the 16/11 last year when I had food poisoning. That will make it 97 days. Put simply, running has become a habit. It's only broken when I am very ill (I don't get injured....touch wood!). It's a pretty stupid habit to have gotten myself into and in many ways is completely counterproductive.

The trip away unfortunately coincided with a small cold. I think the reduction in training and the three days off itself brought on the cold, although it was slightly there the week before Donadea. Lisbon is a great city and I ate way too much and drank far too much but weekends like these don't happen too often so I took full advantage! Lisbon must the hilliest city I have ever visited. How they have such a fast half-marathon course I will never know.

Tuesday 24/2

6.75 Miles Easy @7.10p/m in 48:23

I have easily put on half a stone over the past week and how it shows! Arrived back in Dublin at 1pm, delighted to have survived the flight. I am an awful flyer. I hate every second on being cramped into a tiny seat on a Boeing 737.

Wednesday 25/2
    12.30 Miles Various

AM

6.50 Miles Easy @6.45p/m in 43:55

The few days off left the body refreshed and ready to tackle some proper training. Not. The legs were in a particular bad way during this run with everything from tight hamstrings/calfs/right shin and sore right knee to make this run tough and somewhat forgettable. How it ended up averaging at 6.45p/m I will never know.

PM

5.80 Miles Recovery @9.09p/m in 53:06 (inc. 2.5 mile tempo)

I was in no humour to run this evening but I was scheduled in to meet someone I couch to do run a tempo run. The run kind of did the trick and helped to loosen out the heavy legs. It won't be long before I will be struggling to keep up with her at the rate she is improving.

Thursday 26/2

5+ Miles Easy (no watch) in 37:30

A few easy miles before work. The legs felt like they could have snapped during this run. The body has seized up somewhat. I struggled to even walk in the morning after just getting up. Walking like an old man, never a good look!

Friday 27/2

8+ Miles @6.52p/m in 54:57

I reluctantly pulled out of the planned morning session with ECOLII. The legs just weren't playing ball and I just couldn't risk banging out any type of session. Not the most enjoyable run but the legs have slowly woken up a small bit :).

*Oh, I am in Cork over the weekend so if anyone fancies giving me a running tour of the city give me a PM or text! I have a good few hours free. Staying in Jurys Inn so right in the city centre. I see there's a 5km on Sunday morning so if anyone is doing that I might jump in and do my it for charity. Willing to pace, won't be racing haha :D.

• Advertisement

Saturday 28/2
    9.36+ Miles Various

AM

3.36+ Miles @7.48p/m in 26:13

A gentle shake-out before some S&C with ECOLII. Tempted to run the Tymon Parkrun but time was against me this morning.

-Strength and Conditioning

A good session that showed up some weaknesses. Rather than being annoyed at having some issues I take a great encouragement that there's a lot I can easily improve on if I put the work in. A good scope for improvement that will hopefully help me run faster and run more efficiently.

PM

6 Miles Easy @6.54p/m in 41:28

I had a bit of time to kill in Cork so I ticked off some miles still wearing the same gear used this morning (time was really against me!). The weather was truly awful but the run proved enjoyable. The change of scenery was a very welcome distraction.

Sunday 1/3

6.30 Miles Easy @6.51p/m in 43:10

A late night put any chance of an early run to bed. No chance. Back to the capital and a gentle run around the southside. The first mile (7.40) was way off (garmin struggles in Rathgar) but it helpfully corrected itself by the second mile.

Never fully trust the garmin! :)

WEEK TOTAL: 47.71+ MILES

Very low mileage coupled with very little intensity this week. I am not worried one bit as I know I need some downtime. The S&C session on Saturday really freed the legs of a lot of tightness and as a result I am feeling pretty strong at the moment. The easy miles are still on quick side, with many coming in at 6.3x a mile. The introduction of some session work this week should see the easy days naturally come in a bit slower.

Monday 2/3

8 Miles Easy @6.54pm in 55:14
    -inc. 5 x (30 second hill repeats @5k effort ~jog back recovery)

Desperately needed to get some speed back into the legs today so I settled on some hill repeats to waken the legs after all the easy running. Legs felt in good shape and it's always good to get those bemused looks from onlookers that come with hill repeats :pac:.

Tuesday 3/3
    9.2 Miles Various

AM

CORE & UPPER BODY WORK

Back to the stuff I hate doing. While the core feels strong, the arms and general strength are currently both appalling. In terms of strength I rate somewhere between an 80 year old granny and a darts player.

The good thing is that it won't be hard to improve on my current rate of fitness and strength in this department. I wouldn't mind putting on a bit of muscle in the upper body without putting on weight, if that's possible. Although I have naturally put on a small bit of weight recently my body rate percentage is still quite low I reckon.

PM

Club Track Session

4.50+ Miles

Plan: 3x(4x400m ~30 seconds recovery between reps, 5 min between sets)

Actual:

-W/U 1.25 Miles inc. drills and strides

Set 1: 74,75,76,75
    Set 2: 76,74,76,74
    Set 3: 75,75,75,72

-W/D .25 Miles

Back to the track and the first chance to blow off some cobwebs. It has been a while since I was last on the track to I was looking forward to some faster running. The first set was definitely the toughest. I struggled to adjust and held on the to back of the front pack, content to run consistent and run my own pace. I finally settled midway through the second set, feeling comfortable enough and in control. While the recovery between sets was generous enough, the same could not have been said for the gap between the reps.

Happy enough with the session but I am very realistic. I really need to get the 400m reps down to around 70 seconds over the next few weeks and months.

Straight into the car after a very short recovery lap. The plan was to pace someone through their session and evaluate the development made.

4.7 Miles @9.06p/m in 42:46
    -inc. 8x400m @their 5k pace

Wednesday 4/3

10 Miles Easy @7.01p/m in 1.10:06

An easy run? Not quite. Found this morning a hard enough run. The weather didn't call for a base layer and gloves so I was a bit hot for the entire 70 minutes. I need to ease back on the easy runs a bit but I have a very easy day tomorrow (very busy) so a run like this on tired legs probably had it benefits without impacting on the planned session this Friday.

-LIGHT PLYOMETRICS SESSION

A very light session to round off the day.

Wednesday 4/3

10 Miles Easy @7.01p/m in 1.00:06

Your either trying to convince yourself you are slowing your easy days down or you miscalculated :p

Your either trying to convince yourself you are slowing your easy days down or you miscalculated :p

Haha.....Proof read Anthony, PROOF READ!!

Haha.....Proof read Anthony, PROOF READ!!

Maybe it was the pink casio trying not to hurt your feelings :p

• Advertisement

Maybe it was the pink casio trying not to hurt your feelings :p

Back to the grimness of the black garmin unfortunately!

CATCH UP: PART 1

It's hard to log your training when each and every run over the past week or two has been a right struggle. The body, while uninjured, is just not my friend at the moment. It seems the less miles I run the worse I feel. I have felt in better condition after a marathon or after consecutive weeks of high mileage as I do right now. The most annoying this is that I can't put my finger on the cause of it all!

Thursday 5/3

5 Miles @7.17p/m 36:25

What should have been a bread-and-butter short easy run turned into a slog. The heart-rate was very high on finishing. I donated blood the previous evening so I expected the energy levels to be a bit low but not this low. I decided to scrap the evening run and rest.

Friday 6/3
    11 Miles Various

AM

Aborted session with company.

9 Miles @6.54p/m in 1.02:02

-2 Miles Easy
    -4 Miles Steady (6.12, 6.13, 6.17, 6.14)
    -3 Miles Easy

The plan was to tick off 8 miles around the 6.10 a mile mark, with a few easy miles framing the steady/tempo miles. The legs and body felt great setting out and the pace felt comfortable for the first 2 miles of the faster miles. Then bang. The heart-rate spiked and the lungs began to work extremely hard. This sort of pace is usually pretty comfortable but today it felt unmanageable. I first pulled the plug after 3 miles before finally giving up the fight after 4 (he kindly came back to me and tried to help).

The solo three miles back to the car were a right struggle, with the heart-rate still worryingly high. Most forgettable. I really cannot remember the last time I quit mid-session. I could put it down to the blood donation on Wednesday but I am unconvinced.

PM

2 Miles Recovery @10.17p/m in 20:37

A gentle run with company. Legs in a bad way but sort of loosened up a bit. Happy to finish though.

Saturday 7/3

8.55 Miles @7.04p/m in 1.00:25

Sunday 8/3

REST DAY

The body was in a heap so any type of run would have been counterproductive.

WEEK TOTAL: 51.75+ MILES

A really frustrating week and a long way shy of expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Have you had a blood test recently? Could be a bit low on something? Iron etc...

Ososlo wrote: »
    Have you had a blood test recently? Could be a bit low on something? Iron etc...

Hey. Yeah, the thought has definitely crossed my mind. I think there maybe a calcium deficiency so will investigate for sure. I am a typical Irish man when comes to that sort of stuff. I am great for putting everything on the long finger!!

Monday 9/3

10 Miles Easy @7.10p/m 1.12:20

Another fairly joyless experence. I hate to moan but I really take running discomfort free for granted. I am very luckily to have remained virtually injury free sine I began running but the issue in the lower part of the right leg has really sucked any enjoyment out of every run. Later that night I had a twenty minute break during work so I decided on a short stroll to loosen the legs. Needless to say it didn't help much. Time to bite the bullet and book a physio.

Tuesday 10/3

AM

A painful enough physio that showed up no real injury, just the usual tightness etc. Legs felt a lot better after.

PM

Club Track Session

6.75+ Miles

Plan: 8x300m @1 mile pace with 100m jog recovery

-W/U 2.25+ Miles inc. drills and strides
    -300m (60,58,60,61,60,59,59,59)
    -W/D 3 Miles

With the go ahead from the physio I headed to Santry (traffic, er!) feeling somewhat better. I knew running at my mile pace would probably prove foolish so I settled on getting into a rhythm and hitting an effort level that suited. The legs felt good after a two mile warm-up on grass but I felt very sluggish on the lap of strides. The issue on my right-hand side meant I was landing mid-foot. I am very much a forefoot runner so the right foot-strike really hampered me, meaning I simply could not generate any power.

Wednesday 11/3

15.25 Miles @7.19p/m in 1.51:29

Plan: 4,3,2,1 Miles @6.50ish effort (mile easy between each)

4 Miles: 6.58, 6.42, 6.47, 6.57
    3 Miles: 6.58, 6.49, 6.51
    2 Miles: 6.29, 6.39
    1 Mile: 7.01 :eek:

Desperate for company :) I tagged along with Luke and Andy and jump into TbL's session. The plan was a good and after a brief chat we headed out the door. Unfortunately we were a man down by mile 2 but I was feeling pretty decent and looking forward to getting stuck into the first long run in quite a while. With the legs woken up we headed into the first block of faster miles. The weather at this point was fairly agreeable, with just a small to medium strong headwind to keep us on our toes. I took the lead into the wind as I am trying to teach myself how to lead from the front, rather than settle in. I find that negative thoughts can quickly creep in when running behind someone. The climb up Braemor Road and towards Churchtown was a real slog. The weather quickly turned and to hold any sort of pace was a real struggle. I was quite happy to have an easy mile before the 3 mile block. Mile after mile into the wind. Mile after mile into rain. The effort of even running 6.50 pace began to take it's toll. The weather was relentless. To prove how bad it was the pace dropped from 7 minute pace to 6.2x pace after turning off the Templeogue road, finally into a tailwind for a short bit during the 2 mile block. Here TbL looked very strong and pushed the pace on (nice to have someone to chase at last!). By this point I was seriously tired, with the lack on miles showing. I wasn't looking forward to the last mile so I took the easy mile well, easy! The last mile was beyond grim. Even now I find it hard to write how difficult it was. We made a left turn and were confronted with a brick wall of a headwind. The effort levels soared and I was beginning to work hard. Very hard. I have never experienced that running at 7 minute mile pace. It really felt like the closing stages on a 10km race. The feeling you get when you are just hanging on!

A surprisingly tough morning but very enjoyable. Great to see TbL looking strong. I have never before been so battered by the elements. I am definitely a bit stronger for the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Monday 9/3
    Plan: 4,3,2,1 Miles @6.50ish effort (mile easy between each)

4 Miles: 6.58, 6.42, 6.47, 6.57
    3 Miles: 6.58, 6.49, 6.51
    2 Miles: 6.29, 6.39
    1 Mile: 7.01 :eek:

Desperate for company :) I tagged along with Luke and Andy and jump into TbL's session. The plan was a good and after a brief chat we headed out the door. Unfortunately we were a man down by mile 2 but I was feeling pretty decent and looking forward to getting stuck into the first long run in quite a while. With the legs woken up we headed into the first block of faster miles. The weather at this point was fairly agreeable, with just a small to medium strong headwind to keep us on our toes. I took the lead into the wind as I am trying to teach myself how to lead from the front, rather than settle in. I find that negative thoughts can quickly creep in when running behind someone. The climb up Braemor Road and towards Churchtown was a real slog. The weather quickly turned and to hold any sort of pace was a real struggle. I was quite happy to have an easy mile before the 3 mile block. Mile after mile into the wind. Mile after mile into rain. The effort of even running 6.50 pace began to take it's toll. The weather was relentless. To prove how bad it was the pace dropped from 7 minute pace to 6.2x pace after turning off the Templeogue road, finally into a tailwind for a short bit during the 2 mile block. Here TbL looked very strong and pushed the pace on (nice to have someone to chase at last!). By this point I was seriously tired, with the lack on miles showing. I wasn't looking forward to the last mile so I took the easy mile well, easy! The last mile was beyond grim. Even now I find it hard to write how difficult it was. We made a left turn and were confronted with a brick wall of a headwind. The effort levels soared and I was beginning to work hard. Very hard. I have never experienced that running at 7 minute mile pace. It really felt like the closing stages on a 10km race. The feeling you get when you are just hanging on!

A surprisingly tough morning but very enjoyable. Great to see TbL looking strong. I have never before been so battered by the elements. I am definitely a bit stronger for the experience.

Nice session, sounds plenty tough

PaulieC wrote: »
    Nice session, sounds plenty tough

It was just the weather that made it bloody tough. Think it would have a pain if running 12 minute miles. A right pain in the ar$e. Roll on the summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

It was just the weather that made it bloody tough. Think it would have a pain if running 12 minute miles. A right pain in the ar$e. Roll on the summer!

+1
    So sick of this windy weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

12 minute miles. A right pain in the ar$e.
    Elitest . . .

Rather than go into much detail I will rate every run out of 10, with 10 feeling great and 1 feeling like sh1te (not sure what 0/10 feels like!).

Thursday 12/3

AM

4.25 Miles Very Easy @7.32p/m in 32:00

DR RATING: 2/10

PM

Too sore, tired and mentally drained after a long day of teaching to tick off some planned miles. They would have served little purpose only to appease my inner mileage demons.

Friday 13/3

9 Miles Easy @7.22p/m in 1.06:24

DR RATING: 3/10

Saturday 14/3

8 Miles @7.23p/m in 59:10

DR RATING: 3.5/10

Sunday 15/3

8 Miles @7.16p/m in 58:08

DR RATING: 7/10

Running makes no sense. After a pretty epic day long session of eating and drinking the body felt finally alive. Despite heading to bed at 6am after many drinks the body felt good for the first time in ages. Take what you will from that :)*

*Anthony says: Please drink responsibly and with moderation

WEEK TOTAL: 61.25+ MILES

Despite being quite far behind expectations the legs are finally coming along. I know myself well enough at this stage to know how to manage myself through such annoyances. Next week will be building and getting myself strong before upping the mileage and intensity. I may look at a race or two over the next few weeks to focus the mind and become race sharp.

• Advertisement

The plan this week was quite a simple one. The goal was to both to run more miles and eliminate all sessions. The training was forced to change because I had a small inkling that I may have tweaked my peroneal tendon last week, this changed my gait and annoyed the hell out of me. Not an injury, just a small manageable niggle. It has happened before after I unknowingly went over on my ankle. Anyway, I seem to have gotten away with it after training smartly (experience is a great thing!).

The short-term goal has changed slightly. With the BHAA K-Club 10km a mere 3 weeks away, it will provide a good benchmark heading into the block of 5k/10k training.

So, I am back to enjoying my training and feeling quite strong. I will visit my GP next week to get my blood tested. If anyone has had experience with this drop me a text or PM.

March 16-20

Monday 16/3

12 Miles

AM 6.10 Miles Easy @7.15p/m in 44:13
    PM 6 Miles Easy @7.25p/m in 44:34

Tuesday 17/3

11.10 Miles

AM 3 Miles Very Easy @7.31p/m in 22:36
    PM 8.10 Miles Easy @7.05p/m in 57:22
    -inc. 5x(30 second strides @5k effort-jog back rec)

Wednesday 18/3

10.10 Miles Easy @7.01p/m in 1.10:54

Thursday 19/3

11.10 Miles

AM 5.60 Miles Easy @7.10p/m in 40:08
    PM 5.50+ Miles Recovery @9.42p/m in 55:17
    (-Coaching~Time based 5k pyramid. Delighted with her progress-sub 20 this year :))

Friday 20/3

10.10 Miles Easy @6.58p/m in 1.10:25

Saturday 21/3

8.20 Miles Easy @7.11p/m in 58:57

A pleasant run in glorious weather. I am really trying to run more on grass so I incorpoated 4 laps of Bushy Park into the run. Starting to enjoy running on the softer surface. With the running box ticked the time was right to crack open the first beer of the day and sit down and watch the rugby with a friend all day. Just an amazing days entertainment. BOOM.

Sunday 22/3

8.50 Miles
    -inc. 8 Miles Steady @6.25p/m in 51:19

The body felt very well rested, despite the previous night activities! I let the legs decide the pace on this one. I was probably working a bit harder than I normally would have been at this pace. After many laps around the bridges of the liffey it was time to head and tick off the last 1/2 a mile and run to a brilliant Chinese restaurant just off O'Connell Street. Delicious.

There's actually quite a decent uninterrupted mile loop, using both Talbot Memorial Bridge and Samuel Beckett Bridge. Thank you Strava.

WEEK TOTAL: 71.20 MILES

Getting there......

Simple game-plan again for the upcoming week. Essentially, I need to run faster and slower :rolleyes:. I really need to slow down my easy runs and reintroduce track work.

I will be glad to see the end of this month. Pretty unfocused, mediocre running for the majority but I am not too concerned (yet). This time last year I was in flying form but I would rather be in good nick in the mid-part of the year this time around.

March 23-29

Monday 23/3

AM: 6 Miles Very Easy @7.32p/m in 45:12
    PM: 5 Miles Easy @7.07p/m in 35:36

Tuesday 24/3

AM: 3.50 Miles Very Easy @7.36p/m in 26:27
    PM: 6.50+ Miles Various

2x(800m, 800m, 400m) ~800 reps @5k, 400m @1 mile

Splits:
    2.40, 2.40, 73
    2.40, 2.41, 74

Pretty lackluster running tonight. Still struggling slightly with my leg. I slightly changed the club session into more of a Magness type workout.

Wednesday 25/3

10.25 Miles Easy @7.20p/m in 1.15:15

Thursday 26/3

7 Miles Very Easy @7.34p/m in 52:57

Friday 27/3

10 Miles
    -inc. 8 Miles Steady (PMP 6.00p/m) with 7th mile @5.46p/m and 8th Mile @5.30p/m

Saturday 28/3

AM: 6 Miles Very Easy @7.32p/m in 45:13
    PM: 5 Miles Easy @7.14p/m in 36:12

Sunday 29/3

Medium Long Run
    -14 Miles @7.11p/m in 1.40:31

WEEK TOTAL: 73.25+ MILES

Monday 30/3

REST DAY

Very much under the weather/hungover. It's a tad early for hayfever but I was in a bad way today. An early start meant I was fairly tired all day and in no humour for a run today.

Tuesday 31/3

AM: 3.25+ Miles Very Easy Shakeout (watch mishap)
    PM: 8+ Miles

inc.
    -7 Miles Easy @7.07p/m in 49:53
    -Magness Hill Sprints: 6x10sec, 2x20sec
    -1 Mile Very Easy @7.37p/m

Despite feeling a bit better, I decided to skip the club pyramid session and do a short sharpener. Hill sprints are very fun but not easy in the slightest (cue hands on knees!).

Wednesday 1/4

AM: 6 Miles Very Easy @7.21p/m in 44:10
    PM: 5 Miles Easy @7.10p/m in 35:51

Thursday 2/4

AM: Failed Session: 5.50 Miles Easy @7.15p/m in 39:52
    PM: 6.75 Miles Very Easy @7.23p/m in 49:51

This morning has a bit of disaster. I had planned on another Magness Session ~2x(800,800,400 @5k effort) but things transpired against me. I settled on a location close to my house, where there was a nice quiet loop. While the loop (400m approx.) was perfect for easy runs it quickly became apparent that it was not conducive to 'fast' running. I tried twice (2x400m) but there was no benefit as the loop entailed many puddles, sharp turns and dogs. Added to mix was the garmin which was laughably off! Quite annoyed with myself but definitely the right call.

Lesson most definitely learned. Er.........

Friday 3/4

10.5 Miles (treadmill)

inc.
    -1.5 Miles Progressive Warm-Up
    -8 Miles Tempo
    -1 Mile Warm-Down

Wow this was a tough but incredibly enjoyable. I am back to using the treadmill once a week as I find it a great way to stay off the unforgiving surface of the road. As any good tempo should be effort based the treadmill works very well. The plan was to hold 6 minute miles for the first four miles and work down, holding a pace @85% effort for the last tempo mile. The last tempo mile was at 5.10p/m. As I always use one of two treadmills (and gradient) in the gym I know the effort equates to 5.25-5.30p/m on the road. I was working pretty damn hard by the end but managed to tick off the last bit despite a small case of wobbly legs :o.

Things are looking up. Feeling stronger and sharper.

It's decision time regarding the K-Club 10km next week. I haven't raced in so long I am now thinking of using it as a sharpener before the Dundalk 10km on the 22nd. Decisions........

Saturday 4/4

Medium Long Run
    -13.50 Miles Easy :rolleyes: @7.14p/m in 1.37:38

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/737106576

Any lingering doubts about the previous days tempo run were resoundingly answered within the first mile of today's run. I was unsure whether the tempo run hit the right effort level as the legs felt quite fresh that night, although I was very sleepy in the evening. Today the legs were completely banjaxed but strong. The type of feeling you usually get the week or two before marathon taper (The 'M' Word.....yuck!!).

The plan was to head-up towards Marlay Park and take it from there. By mile 3 I was dying for a drink so I ploughed straight for the magic spring (aka a road side water tap on Kilmashogue Lane). As per usual it did the trick and the remaining miles ticked by, accompanied by the noticeable fatigue in the legs.

I finally feel like I am getting some much missed spring back in the legs. For the past few weeks I have been slightly compensating due to some tightness in the right leg. I have been managing but it has negatively affected my gait, causing lack of power as I couldn't push-off as normal (I am very much a forefoot runner).

Today was too fast. A housewarming tonight and a trip to Sligo in the morning will mean a few VERY easy miles tomorrow :).

Monday 6/4

6 Miles Easy @7.19p/m in 43:52

A rather late night meant me sleeping in and missing my AM run. I was up just in time to watch a very defensive display in Division 2 of Sligo football. Watching football always reminds me how much I miss it. In saying that I back two years ago and was pretty much embarrassed. The fitness levels of the lads was quite impressive and left me the runner in no man's lad. Give me a straight road anyday!

Tuesday 7/4
    10+ Miles Various

AM

4 Miles Very Easy @7.41p/m in 30:47

Slowly does it.

PM

Club Track Session

6 Miles Various

~3x(3x400) @5k effort

2.75,77,74 (watch mishap on 2nd I think)

A decent session with varying lengths of recovery, some short and a few slightly more generous. The lads were doing 600m reps but I decided to shorten the reps as I didn't want to completely flog myself as I missed quite a few sessions recently. A step in the right direction?

Wednesday 8/4
    11.10 Miles

AM

6 Miles Very Easy @7.34 in 45:24

PM

5.10 Easy @7.08p/m n 36:25

A very enjoyable run in glorious sunshine with Kev E.

Thursday 9/4

7.45+ Miles

-1 Mile Easy @7.33p/m (inc. drills)
    -3.15 Miles (5km) Progressive Tempo in 18:42 (Splits: 6.05,6.02,5.46,5.29)
    -3.30 Miles Easy @7.18p/m in 24:05

I made a complete mess of today's session. Just about everything went wrong but I managed to rescue a decent run. I had no idea what I was going to do setting out so I followed the legs and left the brain in the car.

Friday 10/4
    16.50 Miles

AM

Medium Long Run
    -13 Miles Very Easy @7.42pm in 1.40:02

Another really enjoyable run with P&L (sounds like ferry company!). The legs were a small bit tired but I was pumped full of coffee having secured a place to live that morning. By God I hate the morning. A new place to live that's by the coast, close to town and even closer to the Beer Mile Stadium. A very successful few hours!

PM

Coaching: 3.50 Miles @9.06p/m in 31:53

Saturday 11/4
    11.50 Miles

Cheeky Triple:

-8 Miles Easy @7.07p/m in 56:55
    -1 Mile Easy @7.34p/m
    -2.50 Miles Easy @7.21p/m in 21:34

An afternoon enjoying the Great Ireland Run (and running). The first run involved a fair chunk of the course. Luckily I caught a fair bit of the action. As advised I ran from just after the 3km mark to the finish straight. Fupp me the wind was bad! 2.5 miles back to the car was a tad awkward, with Fionnuala B and Sarah M just ahead on their warm-down. Thought it'd be a bit rude to overtake (didn't want to spoil their day!).

Sunday 12/4

8 Miles Easy @6.54p/m in 55:10
    -inc. 5/6 x(30 second strides @5k effort)

WEEK TOTAL: 70.55+ MILES

I put a self-imposed limit of 70 miles on the week with the aim of getting strong. Happy to report the body finished in great nick and things are looking up.

This day last year I was in an Irish pub disappointed with my time of 2.50 at that mornings Rotterdam Marathon. What was I thinking? It has taken me a full 12 months to realise that :). Looking forward to smashing that time later in the year though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Any short-term goal races coming up DR? I hear you on the marathon. I always find it takes a few months to appreciate how it went. Always searching for the perfect performance at the time.

Any short-term goal races coming up DR? I hear you on the marathon. I always find it takes a few months to appreciate how it went. Always searching for the perfect performance at the time.

A few? 12 to be exact!

I am playing the long game with all eyes on a good 5k (possibly 10k as well) at the end of summer. I am willing to go through agony to get there so here's hoping. I have made a few changes so very confident they will make a big difference. I know what I can run so it's all about the process now and getting there as efficiently as possible. Short-term? No idea to be honest. I'll give something a bash soon but not worried yet. A slight issue with my leg (impacting my gait) has set me back a bit but all is looking good.

Monday 13/4
    12 Miles

AM: 6 Miles Very Easy @7.31p/m in 45:09
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.04p/m in 42:23

Tuesday 14/4
    10 Miles

AM: 3 Miles Shake-out @7.42pm in 23:08

PM

Club Track Session

7 Miles

Session: 2 x(3x600m) @5k ~80-90 seconds between reps, 5 minutes jog between sets

-W/U 1.25 Mile inc. drills/strides
    Set 1: 1.54,1.55,1.54
    Set 2: 1.53,1.55,1.53
    -W/D 2.5 Miles

Rather than stick to the club plan and do 800m reps, I decided to cut the length to 600. The purpose was to give myself a bit of extra recovery. I still I need a bit more recovery as the track still tests the right leg. It has much improved but in no way am I going to risk an injury at this stage. In summation, a very positive night. I finished very strong and always in control. Happy. Perhaps I could have pushed myself a bit more and ticked off the 800m reps but it's a question of risk vs. reward. Looking forward to the next few track sessions. Nice to see Mark English fly by us several times. A reminder of what real pace looks like. Felt like a right elephant standing next to him!

Wednesday 15/4
    13.20 Miles

AM: 5.10 Miles Very Easy @7.37p/m in 38:51
    PM: 8.10 Miles Easy @7.05p/m in 57:21

Thursday 16/4
    11.50 Mile

AM: 6.50 Miles Easy @7.12p/m in 46:50
    PM: 5 Miles Very Easy @7.28p/m in 37:23

Friday 17/4
    11 Miles

-W/U 1.50 Miles Progressive
    -8 Mile Tempo in 47:01 (5.52p/m average)
    -W/D 1.50 Miles

Tempo (treadmill): Miles 1-4 @6.07p/m, Miles 5-7 Progression, Mile 8 @5.00p/m (85% effort) ~equates to 5.20-5.25 on road approx.

A very similar session to two weeks ago, with the last mile at faster pace (same effort). As the tempo is all about effort I most certainly was working very hard at the end by very much in control. Another positive run. I always use the same treadmill and elevation so in many ways this run often serves as an evaluation type session. Very promising morning.

Saturday 18/4

Medium Long Run
    -11.25 Miles @6.51p/m in 1.17:01

With the first mile beeping at 7.40 I knew the garmin was once again way off. Looking back on the trace I ntice that I am 'running' through several back gardens! At this stage I know not to trust the garmin when running close to my house. When the second mile beeped in at 6.42 for the mile I thought it might have been the garmin correcting itself. It wasn't. I continued on and once again got lost in Dublin 12. It's a good sign when I am running 6.40 miles very comfortably. I just have to be careful to now to put the brakes slightly on and concentrate on the hard session days and not overdo the mundane easy runs.

Sunday 19/4

8 Miles General Aerobic @6.44p/m in

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/752741414

I really didn't learn from the mistakes of yesterday. Today was once again way too fast. The run itself was one of the most enjoyable runs in quite a long time. I decided to run from my old house in Rathgar to my new dwelling in South County Dublin. I decided to take the long route, taking in the canal and Sandymount Strand before reaching Blackrock and a nice drag up to the new place. I have already found a crackin' hill for some hill sessions :).

Dublin in glorious sunshine. Quite hard to beat.

WEEK TOTAL: 76.95+ MILES

My best week in months. Long may in continue! Time to get a race or two under the belt before real training commences.

• Advertisement

I have already found a crackin' hill for some hill sessions

Alma Road by any chance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice and close to the Beermile stadium. Handy for a few beermile sessions I reckon!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice and close to the Beermile stadium. Handy for a few beermile sessions I reckon!!

Let's do it!

Alma Road by any chance ?

Close (I think!). Just on the Monkstown Road. Montpelier something.....don't even know my own address yet!

The longest and straightest hill off monkstown road is alma road. It's bloody steep too, did reps there a few times, not fun.

The longest and straightest hill off monkstown road is alma road. It's bloody steep too, did reps there a few times, not fun.

Think was there last night did 6x30 seconds. Bloody tough hill! Great surface though and not much traffic. Have to say, the area is fantastic. So many great running routes. Cannot beat the coast on a decent day.

• Advertisement

Monday 20/4
    11.50 Miles

AM: 6 Miles Very Easy @7.25p/m in 44:33
    PM: 5.50 Miles Easy @7.15p/m in 39:53

Tuesday 21/4
    11.15+ Miles

AM: 3.15 Miles Shakeout @7.38p/m in 24:04

PM

Club Track Session

8+ Miles

Pyramid Session: 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 minutes ~60 seconds recovery (3k pace to 10k pace)

Bit of a fail tonight........

1 min: .21 (mile) @4.57p/m
    2 min: .40 @5.04p/m
    3 min: .58 @5.14p/m
    4 min: .73 @5.29p/m
    5 min: Fail. 5 minutes @7.33p/m
    4 min: .74 @5.24p/m
    3 min: .56 @5.23p/m
    2 min: .38 @5.20p/m
    1 min: .20 @5.01p/m

I had a choice after the first 4 minute rep, risk blowing up (very likely) or jogging and jumping back in. I thought it better to sit out the 5 minutes. I was working way too hard and deep down knew the 5 minutes was beyond me. Tonight was a case it point in needing to strike the correct balance. I haven't struck the correct balance just yet, failing to keep myself fresh enough for sessions. Annoying but not the end of the world. The remainder of the session went ok, latching on to the faster run. Just.

Wednesday 22/4
    13.50 Miles

AM: 6.50 Miles Very Easy @7.33p/m in 49:07
    PM: 7 Miles Easy @7.15p/m in 50:11

Thursday 23/4
    13 Miles

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.22p/m in 44:13
    PM: 7 Miles Easy @7.19p/m in 51:18
    ~inc. 6x30 seconds @1 mile effort, jog back recovery (last mile)

I have the choice of several short sharp hills outside my front door. Spoiled! What is 1 mile effort? Bloody hard, that what it is! Really enjoyable way to end a lonnnnnnng day.

Friday 24/4

8.10 Miles Easy @7.12p/m in 58:20

A nice easy day jogging around Dún Laoghaire and Dalkey. Great morning for it. Killiney Hill is on my hit list next week!

Yeah the area is deadly for the amount of scenic routes on the doorstep. A new favourite of mine is to join the kilbogget park trail at deansgrange for a mile then cross the N11 at Johnstown Rd for a lap of Cabinteely park. It's about 7 miles in total and you can even get to use the chin up bars in Cabinteely at half way!!

Must hook up for a run after London but you'll have to slow down your easy pace ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah the area is deadly for the amount of scenic routes on the doorstep. A new favourite of mine is to join the kilbogget park trail at deansgrange for a mile then cross the N11 at Johnstown Rd for a lap of Cabinteely park. It's about 7 miles in total and you can even get to use the chin up bars in Cabinteely at half way!!

Must hook up for a run after London but you'll have to slow down your easy pace ;)

Might look for a little local knowledge here.

You know the trail by the Pitch & Putt at Loughlinstown that looks to go down by the river? Is that open to the public and does it go very far? Have gone past it on a couple of runs in to town but never had the opportunity to follow it. Looks very nice from the vantage point of the top deck on the 145 as you drive by.

Might look for a little local knowledge here.

You know the trail by the Pitch & Putt at Loughlinstown that looks to go down by the river? Is that open to the public and does it go very far? Have gone past it on a couple of runs in to town but never had the opportunity to follow it. Looks very nice from the vantage point of the top deck on the 145 as you drive by.

First I have heard about it! Must check it out. I am sure KC knows more...

I should have read the comments above before setting out on Saturday!

Saturday 25/04

Attempted Session. Fail.

So, I jumped into the car and point it towards Cabinteely Park. I convinced myself it was flat and ideal for a steady/progression run. I did think about jumping into the parkrun but a late night meant a few hours extra sleep was needed. I got to the park and it quickly became apparent that in no way was this a park for a session. The many short sharp inclines and declines meant the planned session was a wash-out. Anyway......

Medium Long Run
    -15.25 Miles Easy @7.07p/m in 1.48:32

Sunday 26/04

Lesson learned.

Venue: Beer Mile Stadium (Kilbogget Park)

8.90 Miles

-w/u & w/d ~2.5 miles
    -Steady 10km (Cinder Track) @5.56p/m in 37:57 (6.40 miles)

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/758439151

I'm going to enjoy having the cinder track only a few minutes away. I initially only planned 5 miles but probably influenced by the lads doing the track 10km during the week, I pushed out the distance. I really enjoyed the session. It's so much easier to get into a groove and nail down a comfortable tempo and rhythm compared to the roads. I am not too sure why I ran the extra distance (over the 25 laps). This was probably the garmin runner in me; always running that bit longer to make sure you cover the 'correct' distance! :rolleyes: I felt comfortable throughout. Maybe a bit too comfortable but I felt I hit the right effort level.

WEEK TOTAL: 81.40+ MILES

• Advertisement

Monday 27/4
    12 Miles

AM: 6 Miles Very Easy @7.24p/m in 44:23
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.02p/m in 42:15

Tuesday 28/4

10 Miles Easy @7.05p/m in 1.10:48

Absolutely shattered today. The first warning signs of over-training. Surprised to see the overall pace as it really felt tough today.

Wednesday 29/4

AM

6.60 Miles

Set 1

800: 2.37
    800: 2.37
    400: 77

~4 minute Recovery (60 sec between reps)

Set 2

400: 75
    400: 74
    400: 75
    400: 73

Work meant I could not make it up to the club session last night. While this was annoying it meant that I got a chance to pace myself around the cinder track and not rely on others. I am slowly coming around to the fact that my 5k 'race' pace is still pretty poor. I struggle with reps that should be well within my capabilities. With that said, the conditions today were tough. The wind made life hard in the home straight and the effort was above 5k effort in stretches.

Quite disappointed with the session as I had planned on a Magness 2x(800,800,400) session. I rescued something from the morning but I really need to knuckle down and sort my achilles heel, so to speak.

I may need to dial back the pace to move forward. Something like 16x400 in 78-80 seconds might be in order next week. Go slower (with more reps) to faster perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Careful now DR! Don't want to rock the boat when warning lights are flashing. Hope you don't mind me sharing a few thoughts but I'm going to anyway.

1. You seem to have a lot of intensity in your training but I don't see much time put aside for recovery. I think the slowest run I have seen you do in the last few weeks is faster than 7:40 pace and a that was a rare occurrence. Do you think you are doing enough recovery to balance the intensity?

2. A lot of your 5k pace sessions are done at close to 5m/m pace which is 15:30 for 5k. Why are you doing these repeats so fast when you are not currently in sub-16 shape? Wouldn't you feel the benefit would be greater working off current fitness level and it would make the other sessions in your week easier?

3. I see you that you are talking about increasing the volume next week on the 400s while slowing them down. In my mind, slowing them down would be a good idea but not because the volume is higher, a 400 repeat @ 5k pace is a 400m repeat @ 5k whether that is 8x400m or 20x400m. Less repeats shouldn't be done faster unless the goal race distance changes. Do you think a big increase in volume at 5k pace without the intermediate buildup is a good idea?

4. A lot of your progressive tempos are finishing really fast, 5:10-5:15 per mile. I think I'm correct in saying this is 5k PB or faster pace. Is the effort really 85% on those runs for the last mile? If it was, wouldn't that be a comfortably under a sub-5 mile at 100% at the end of an 8 mile tempo, seems very excessive to me.

One more question and I don't mean to bring up old demons but do you think overtraining played a part in your performance in Donedea? I remember you said you were struggling on the warmdowns after workouts, that would be a clear indication of you pushing it too hard.

Just my 2 cents, take it fwiw.

Careful now DR! Don't want to rock the boat when warning lights are flashing. Hope you don't mind me sharing a few thoughts but I'm going to anyway.

Much appreciated. That's the reason for an online log! I welcome criticism :)
    1. You seem to have a lot of intensity in your training but I don't see much time put aside for recovery. I think the slowest run I have seen you do in the last few weeks is faster than 7:40 pace and a that was a rare occurrence. Do you think you are doing enough recovery to balance the intensity?

Put simply, no. I don't really factor in recovery to be honest. That is one the biggest flaws in my training. I too often just 'go with the flow' during runs and consciously think about keeping the effort very very easy. It's a very bad habit I have gotten myself into. It has proven harder to control than I first thought.
    2. A lot of your 5k pace sessions are done at close to 5m/m pace which is 15:30 for 5k. Why are you doing these repeats so fast when you are not currently in sub-16 shape? Wouldn't you feel the benefit would be greater working off current fitness level and it would make the other sessions in your week easier?

I probably do the sessions a bit too quick for my current ability. If I was to be honest, I think at this stage I should be capable of running a session on 12/16x400s @70-72 seconds but I am not. I also don't really know my current 5k ability as I have yet to race. I know it sounds bad but I see 5k training as a means to an end i.e help with marathon training down the line. As you have said, I need to back off the sessions slightly and aim to finish the session and build on and from that.
    3. I see you that you are talking about increasing the volume next week on the 400s while slowing them down. In my mind, slowing them down would be a good idea but not because the volume is higher, a 400 repeat @ 5k pace is a 400m repeat @ 5k whether that is 8x400m or 20x400m. Less repeats shouldn't be done faster unless the goal race distance changes. Do you think a big increase in volume at 5k pace without the intermediate buildup is a good idea?

Interesting point. I do have a strong base to build off so increasing the rep total while slowing each one down shouldn't pose a huge problem. It's a good point you have made and one I am not too sure how to handle/answer at the moment!
    4. A lot of your progressive tempos are finishing really fast, 5:10-5:15 per mile. I think I'm correct in saying this is 5k PB or faster pace. Is the effort really 85% on those runs for the last mile? If it was, wouldn't that be a comfortably under a sub-5 mile at 100% at the end of an 8 mile tempo, seems very excessive to me.

I don't finish too many that fast :). 85%? Yeah, wouldn't be too far off. I am an odd runner in that I usually get stronger as the run goes on. Usually I really struggle at any type of effort initially but get stronger as the miles tick by. For example, I finished the training marathon @5.30 pace for the last mile. I would struggle to run 5.30 pace at the start of a 10k!

Usually the pace drops to around 5.20/5.30 in tempos. Not many will finish at 5.15 pace and if they do it will have been around 90% effort.
    One more question and I don't mean to bring up old demons but do you think overtraining played a part in your performance in Donedea? I remember you said you were struggling on the warmdowns after workouts, that would be a clear indication of you pushing it too hard.

I do have tendency to slightly over-train. I like to push myself and if that leads to some bad performances, although annoying, I will take that. It's all about the bigger picture. If I ran a 2.40 marathon last year I would have been over the moon for about a day before focusing in on sub 2.35! I didn't get a chance to even run Donadea. 6.3x pace is very comfortable for me. Whatever would have happened after 22 miles I will never know but I know this would have been well within me, even on a bad day.

The stomach made running impossible. That had nothing to do with my training, more about prep (which I have learned from). I guess we will never know regarding the over-training as I simply did not get far enough for it to even become a possible race factor!
    Just my 2 cents, take it fwiw.

Thanks again. A lot of food for thought (no broadband at the moment so excuse the delay!). Appreciated. Best of luck in the half at the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

Cool exchange lads. I read NE's original post and was wondering how it would go down. I'm a sensitive/ prickly git and I was thinking about how if it were me it'd get my back up a bit (wrongly). Nice to see you practice what to preach on constructive FB DR. TBH this kind of back and forth is a perfect example of how the logs can be a great tool- makes you really have to think about WHY you do things. FairPlay

Cool exchange lads. I read NE's original post and was wondering how it would go down. I'm a sensitive/ prickly git and I was thinking about how if it were me it'd get my back up a bit (wrongly). Nice to see you practice what to preach on constructive FB DR. TBH this kind of back and forth is a perfect example of how the logs can be a great tool- makes you really have to think about WHY you do things. FairPlay

Cheers Q. Exactly. Exchange is good and should be welcomed, not frowned upon and seen as any type of attack (for want of a better word). It's an online log after all :D.

(18 minute miles here I come! Haha.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Narco0o0o0o

How's it going DR...great training log and it's good that you're taking the critique positively so I'll throw mine in while the goings good, haha!

You are clearly a strong runner and love running but this might also be a drawback to a structured 5-10K training program. I think you'd agree that you do most of your easy runs by feel and at a reasonably quick pace and while this may OK in a marathon program, where your aim is to train your legs to adapt to running while tired, it's probably an impediment to 5-10K training, where all your week's training should ideally be geared towards making sure you are properly rested for your two key weekly sessions (ie, lactate threshold/VO2max/leg speed). This means doing all of your other weekly runs at a relatively low intensity and seeing them more as shakeout sessions to recover and get your legs ready for the harder work. By running your easy days too hard (and only slightly too hard...it all adds up), you're going into your important sessions below par and the quality of those sessions suffer, your body suffers as you bust yourself to run fast on tired legs (which has a knock on effect on the quality of subsequent sessions), and your confidence suffers by not hitting your targets.

Personally, I've found a heart rate monitor a great way to keep in check on easy days and long runs. 77% max heart rate is just below your aerobic threshold and you could probably run forever at this rate and not get tired. This is a good recovery run intensity as you get in some light aero while getting the blood pumping to clear out your legs and most times, I feel better after one of these runs than when I started, no matter how battered I felt to begin with. These runs are great because you're not stressing the system that much so it's all about recovery and maintenance. It might feel slow for you at first, and some days at that HR will be faster than others, but this is also a great intensity to concentrate on your form, as you don't have the mental distraction of fatigue. It's also good to throw some strides into these runs a couple times a week. Consistent running at that intensity also develops your super slow twitch fibers to become more efficient and 'faster' and you should find your pace at that HR increasing steadily over time. Training your super slow twitch fibers to be more efficient is obviously very beneficial for the marathon as it upgrades them at the same rate as your more general slow twitch fibers (which you'll be training at faster intensities), meaning you'll have a larger, more efficient, slow twitch repertoire to tap into during marathons. Anyway, without the HR monitor I'd be running my easy days too hard and it's difficult enough to recover from tough sessions as it is!

Aside from that, I think you absolutely need an all-out 5 or 10K race on a flat course to tell you where you're currently at so that you can have realistic training paces for your faster work. Running lactate threshold or VO2Max sessions quicker than you're currently capable has less of a positive training effect than running them a bit slower, never mind steadily inching you closer to burn-out. You should view that race as an important workout and taper with at least 3-4 days of easy running. so that you're super fresh for a 100% effort.

This is a handy excel table to calculate your Daniels Vdot training paces off any race time..
    electricblues.com/archive/DanielsTables3-00-00.xls

Right well that was longer than intended! Cheers for the log and best of luck with your training. I'm adding you on Strava now just so you don't think I'm a crazy Strava stalker...wtf is it with those guys?!

How's it going DR...great training log and it's good that you're taking the critique positively so I'll throw mine in while the goings good, haha!

You are clearly a strong runner and love running but this might also be a drawback to a structured 5-10K training program. I think you'd agree that you do most of your easy runs by feel and at a reasonably quick pace and while this may OK in a marathon program, where your aim is to train your legs to adapt to running while tired, it's probably an impediment to 5-10K training, where all your week's training should ideally be geared towards making sure you are properly rested for your two key weekly sessions (ie, lactate threshold/VO2max/leg speed). This means doing all of your other weekly runs at a relatively low intensity and seeing them more as shakeout sessions to recover and get your legs ready for the harder work. By running your easy days too hard (and only slightly too hard...it all adds up), you're going into your important sessions below par and the quality of those sessions suffer, your body suffers as you bust yourself to run fast on tired legs (which has a knock on effect on the quality of subsequent sessions), and your confidence suffers by not hitting your targets.

Personally, I've found a heart rate monitor a great way to keep in check on easy days and long runs. 77% max heart rate is just below your aerobic threshold and you could probably run forever at this rate and not get tired. This is a good recovery run intensity as you get in some light aero while getting the blood pumping to clear out your legs and most times, I feel better after one of these runs than when I started, no matter how battered I felt to begin with. These runs are great because you're not stressing the system that much so it's all about recovery and maintenance. It might feel slow for you at first, and some days at that HR will be faster than others, but this is also a great intensity to concentrate on your form, as you don't have the mental distraction of fatigue. It's also good to throw some strides into these runs a couple times a week. Consistent running at that intensity also develops your super slow twitch fibers to become more efficient and 'faster' and you should find your pace at that HR increasing steadily over time. Training your super slow twitch fibers to be more efficient is obviously very beneficial for the marathon as it upgrades them at the same rate as your more general slow twitch fibers (which you'll be training at faster intensities), meaning you'll have a larger, more efficient, slow twitch repertoire to tap into during marathons. Anyway, without the HR monitor I'd be running my easy days too hard and it's difficult enough to recover from tough sessions as it is!

Aside from that, I think you absolutely need an all-out 5 or 10K race on a flat course to tell you where you're currently at so that you can have realistic training paces for your faster work. Running lactate threshold or VO2Max sessions quicker than you're currently capable has less of a positive training effect than running them a bit slower, never mind steadily inching you closer to burn-out. You should view that race as an important workout and taper with at least 3-4 days of easy running. so that you're super fresh for a 100% effort.

This is a handy excel table to calculate your Daniels Vdot training paces off any race time..
    electricblues.com/archive/DanielsTables3-00-00.xls

Right well that was longer than intended! Cheers for the log and best of luck with your training. I'm adding you on Strava now just so you don't think I'm a crazy Strava stalker...wtf is it with those guys?!

Another follower! Yes! :)

Thanks for the comment, alot of great things contained in it. I do have a heart rate monitor (Polar) but it has remained in the box, unopened and never turned on :o. I am somewhat apprehensive about using heart rate monitor training for one or two reasons. First, I tend to over-think my running and I think adding another layer of information may prove detrimental. Now, I could be completely wrong in saying that. I am taking a new direction soon enough so I will not sell the monitor just yet (in case!). I do like the idea of running easy by heart rate but for me it's a mentality thing. It's about instilling discipline into my easy days.

As you have mentioned above, running easy is very important to nail the hard days. This is were I struggle. I actually realised why last night. Running on tired legs has been drilled into me (to much success) at an early stage. The idea of basically doing everything on battered legs, including racing is the way I have been guided. It's a hard way but there's much to be said about it when marathon training. Now that I am not marathon training I have to get used to idea of being fresh for the important stuff.

I do also agree with the idea of racing very soon. Once again this will be hard because I will have to taper a small bit to get a good picture of where I am. This mentality does not come easy to me, trust me! I suppose there's little point on racing on tired legs at the moment.

I will seriously consider HR training over the next week or two and further investigate it.

Thanks again......you may have new follower yourself soon!

Wednesday 29/4
    12.60 Miles

PM

6 Miles Coaching (Recovery Effort)

Thursday 30/4

9 Miles Very Easy @7.44p/m in 1.09:36

A really enjoyable very easy run after a long day. Really nice to keep the effort relaxed, although it took some concentration at times to do so. I'm learning. Slowly.

Friday 1/5

AM

7 Miles Easy @7.14p/m in 50;37

PM

I had planned on an easy 5 miles but walking around Dundrum told me that to do so would be prove counterproductive.

Saturday 2/5

10.25 Miles @6.29p/m in 1.06:29
    -inc. 6 Miles @Steady (fast last mile)

6 Miles: 6.12, 6.15, 6.06, 6.07, 6.02, 5.42

The weather this mornings run was not playing ball. The heavens opened as I made my way to the cinder track, while the wind decided to also join in on the fun. Nothing for it but to get stuck into it ASAP. I initially hoped to ticked off some tempo miles (5.40-5.50) but I knew to even hit 6 minute miles would prove troublesome. I barely looked at the watch and simply concentrated on effort. The session essentially turned into a bit of a fartlex session. The wind on the first 200m was like a brick wall, while the last 200m was far more forgiving. Essentially, you worked very hard for the first half and cruised the last 200m (and repeat....many times!).

I really need to start upping the pace on these types of runs as I find the effort a shade too comfortable. In saying that, I know the increase in effort needed to hold a pace 10-15 seconds a mile quicker.

Sunday 3/5

Medium Long Run
    -13.50 Miles Easy @7.01p/m in 1.34:40

I didn't mean to but I finally did. In from work the previous night at 4.30am meant a fair bit of tiredness setting out. Luckily the legs weren't so I took a spin up Killiney Hill for the first time. A crackin' day for it and without realising it, I had just missed out on the fun of the Wings for Life Run (may pencil in that race for next year). I love hills but the legs don't really enjoy running down them. I seem to lose a fair bit of pace relative to the uphill sections.

WEEK TOTAL: 74.35+ MILES

Monday 4/5
    12 Miles

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.18p/m in 43:51
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.08p/m in 42:55

Tuesday 5/5

10.10 Miles @7.20p/m in 1.14:08

Last week this run (well similar) was on average 15 seconds a mile faster. Nice to see myself getting slower :). You can teach an old dog new tricks after all.....Missing the club sessions at the moment but work is demanding me in on Tuesdays.

Wednesday 6/5

AM

7.5 Miles

Same place. Different time. Same bloody weather! You have to love the cinder track.

Plan: Magness Session: 3x(4x400) @5k pace~30 sec b/t reps, 4 min b/t sets

-inc. drills and 3 strides

Today I made the decision to just focus on 5k effort, not 5k pace. The weather was once again horrendous, with a wind that would stop you dead in your tracks. Today wasn't a day for hitting even splits. Delighted at the solid effort put in today. Even though I didn't record each 400m I allowed myself to use the stopwatch for the 12th and final rep. While the time of 77.25 seconds was far from stellar I was happy to see such a respectful time in the conditions presented today. The wind was worth at least 3 seconds a rep and probably more at times.

Wednesday 7/5

I noticed during the mornings session that my right hamstring was progressively getting tighter throughout. The plan was a few easy miles that night to loosen out the legs. To be honest, I didn't pass too much heed as there's bound to always be an issue when running on average 10+ miles a day .

PM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.40p/m in 38:41

No issues whatsoever. A nice gentle run.

Thursday 8/5

8 Miles Easy @7.24p/m in 7.27p/m in 59:39

Friday 9/5

Session: 7 Miles

Plan: Magness 12x200m @3k effort ~200m jog recovery

(Why does it always ran on me? Bloody cinder track :))

With the legs feeling rested I was somewhat keen to tick off the planned session before the weekend. The session itself was straightforward. While not being an outright speed session it gets the legs motoring. Like Tuesday, I decided not to time the reps as I really wanted to solely focus on effort an form. With 10 reps completed morning work was coming to a close. On the 11th rep the hamstring started to give out considerably. Decision time. In the heat of battle I trucked on to the last rep. It did not go well. On the home-straight with 50 metres to go I came very consciously close to injuring myself. The hamstring felt like it was going to 'pop' but on I went. How stupid. I jogged the last recovery and thereby finishing the session. The hamstring loosened out during the two mile warm-down but I knew damage had been done.

PM

.65 Miles :eek:

I wanted to test the leg so I set out on my usual 5 mile PM jog. The pain didn't ease so I had the pleasure of the walk of shame back to the house. Tonight was the first time I have ever been brought to a walk. You pay for your mistakes.

I will continue to test the leg as there is very little (if any pain) whilst walking etc. You don't mess around with hamstring issues so I will play this very carefully. Two sessions in 3 days was looking for trouble but the legs did feel well rested.

I have finally enjoyed the change in training emphasis during the week so hopefully it's just a minor blip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement