Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making every mile count

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Saturday 9/5

Day Off

Played it sensible and made the hard decision not to run. Hate to say it but it really ruined my day. It's so take months/years of pain-free running for granted. It's amazing how quickly confidence can drain from the body.

Sunday 10/5

5.5 Miles Easy @7.17p/m in 40:03

Progress of sorts but the pain is still there. Time to bite the bullet an go to the physio.......

WEEK TOTAL: 55.7+ MILES

Monday 11/5

Injured.

PHYSIO

VERDICT: GRADE 1 TEAR (HAMSTRING)/WEAKNESS IN QUADS

I knew it was an injury and something I couldn't merely run off. Another day off (at least) and easy running for a few days thereafter. P1ssed off to say the least. Could have been way worse. I hopefully have gotten away with it. I fully deserved it with forcing the issue last week.

Injured? First time in 3 years I think (went over on ankle).

Errrrr................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Tough luck DR - like you say though, could have been worse and the timing could have been worse too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Unlucky with the injury and I hope you make a speedy recovery. We all know injuries are inevitable in this sport, it's all about how you manage it and being sensible when returning. You have been going pretty well recently and good to see you taking the advice on board to slow the easy days down, I can't emphasise this myself enough, I think it was a major factor towards my improvements last year.

It's hard to slow it right down to what feels like a pedestrian pace on your easy days but the focus is pure recovery and that's when you make your gains, not to mention the extra juice you have for the sessions that matter.
    5.5 Miles Easy @7.17p/m in 40:03

This was in my eyes a big mistake. You had just taken a day off due to a clear hamstring injury and the next day you ran at this pace when it should have been slower than recovery pace, 8+ min mile. The only purpose of that run should have been test the hamstring and easing back into it if you felt pain free, it probably did no favours and possibly did more damage.

I know I have been guilty of the above, it's much easier to point out flaws in others training training than your own but it's a constant learning process. Anyway I really hope you recovery quickly, fwiw I think you will and you'll benefit from the mini break. We've some battling to do this summer ;)

Thanks lads.

Yeah, looking back in that run I was a right idiot. Maybe my subconscious was trying to prove that I wasn't injured and everything was ok. I have resigned myself to a few days off. Sure, I am cursing every runner I see as I drive in traffic but that's how it is.

Like you've said Conor, probably the break is in order anyway. A part of me had a love/hate relationship with the demands of running. It was nice to go out after work on a Monday night, have many gin and tonics (watching the calories!) and not have to worry about the next days session. I have now gone from the denial to the acceptance phase!

I really do miss it so can't wait to go back but I'll take it easy.

Three things are certain in life: Taxes, Death and Running Injuries!

I know what you mean! For the 2 weeks I was out, it was nice in a way to come home from work and just relax for the evening but before long I was itching to get out running again. I also have about a kg to lose now since I kept eating like I was training for a marathon!

When you do come back you'll have that little extra bit of appreciation of how lucky you are to be able to do this day in day out...also be prepare for calf pain ;)

Monday 11/5-Wednesday 13/5

Injured.

Thought about running on Tuesday.

Seriously considered running on Wednesday.

Instead I worked, drank more coffee than usual and enjoyed some Gin & Tonics.

Thursday 14/5

5 Miles Very Easy @7.49p/m in 39:05

Somewhat nervously I set out this morning on the most important run for quite some time. Luckily, I had no pain over the previous two days so I was quietly confident setting out. With that said, I would know within the first mile had the rest been beneficial. The run itself was very uneventful (yippeeeeee!). The legs felt good but somewhat tight. That was to be expected I suppose.

Friday 15/5

5 Miles Easy @7.34p/m in 37:54

I felt very flat for this one. The legs felt in good shape but the sharpness built over the previous few weeks wasn't there. I know that will come back quickly with some smart training.

Saturday 16/5

8.10 Miles General Aerobic @6.56p/m in 56:10

:o

Today was a shade fast. I can feel the sharpness coming back so I kind of went with flow. I did consciously keep the brakes slightly on throughout. It may not have have been the smartest run but it felt very in control and more importantly, enjoyable!

I feel like I am sort of out of the woods so to speak but not yet safe. I will undertake an evaluation run (progressive strides) to essentially test the leg on Monday. I will know then whether a session on Wednesday is a realistic prospect. Hopefully all being well I can commenced some proper training next week.

A possible session might be: Floating miles 3/4x(1 mile steady/1 mile @HMP). Open to suggestions.

Time to train smart and not overdo anything. I need to be patient.......not a strong-point!

Sunday 17/5

6 Miles Easy @7.06p/m in 42:48

WEEK TOTAL: 24.10 MILES

My lowest weekly mileage for well over 18 months.......I am content to have gotten away with the Grade 1 tear with only four days rest (touch wood).

Monday 18/5

8 Miles Easy @7.04p/m in 56:33
    -inc. 6x30 second evaluation strides (MP progressing to 5k)

All good. In fact, I felt more comfortable with each passing stride.

Tuesday 19/5

8 Miles Easy @7.14p/m in 57:54

Wednesday 20/5
    11.30+ MILES

AM

6.10+ MILES

~4x(800m @HMP, 400m easy)
    -inc. drills and strides

Back down to scene of the crime for the first track session in two weeks. I chose some HMP reps as anything else at that stage would still be a bit risky. I felt very good throughout. It was far from a testing session but a much needed confidence booster all the same.

Paces (800m): 5.40, 5.44, 5.40, 5.36

*I would be inclined to add 5 seconds to each (cinder track is easier than road)

PM

5.20+ Miles Easy (watch mishap)

Thursday 21/5

8 Miles Easy @7.11p/m in 57:37

Friday 22/5

80 Minutes MLR
    -11.25 Miles @7.08p/m in 1.20:14

I think I will start including the S&C work in the old log next week. A good a friend of mine is a personal trainer. He has helpfully put me on the right track regarding strengthening the quads. So, on Saturday we went through a few drills. He was quite shocked with how weak I was. Rather than being annoyed I see it as area I can easily improve on. Monday saw my first quad strengthening routine. I couldn't walk straight until Thursday! I think I may have underestimated the weakness in that particular area.

Feeling strong. Roll on Monday and the commencement of real training.

Saturday 23/5

9 Miles Easy @6.59p/m General Aerobic in 1.02:53

Sunday 24/5
    11.10+ Miles

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.14p/m in 43:23
    PM: 5.10+ Miles Easy @7.10p/m in 35:53
    -inc. 5x30 second hill repeats @3k effort ~jog back recovery

WEEK TOTAL: 66.65+ MILES

Monday 25/5

8 Miles Easy

A new start this week meant I am now putting as much concentration into the easy run as session days. I want to able to control my easy pace rather than fall into the trap of running the easy stuff too fast.

Additional: 20 minutes S&C

Tuesday 26/5
    14+ Miles

AM

8+ Miles

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/785354642

Magness Week 1: 3x(400m,600m,400m) @5k effort ~40 secs b/t reps, 4 min between sets

~inc. drills and strides

Effort, effort, effort..........that's the key word for the week!

It was fantastic to be back to the faster stuff after the old tear. I chose to focus on effort instead of targeting certain splits as I didn't want to force the issue given it was the first day back (sounds like being back at school). The Magness sessions really keep you on your toes. I really enjoy the variety it provides, constantly keeping the mind active (a very welcome distraction at times!). The effort (that word again) felt controlled even though I was working pretty hard. The first 600m rep of the last set was quite hard going. The legs felt weak but once I got it banked I knew that session was in the bag.

I didn't record any rep split but after evaluating the session the middle miles came in at 5.10, 5.10 and 5.04 respectively (the main chunk of the 5k session). Nice to look back and the decent clip achieved.

*you can add 5-10 per mile as it was track based (i'm tough like that :))

PM

6 Miles Easy @7.28p/m 44:28

Wednesday 27/5
    13.25 Miles

AM: 5 Miles Easy @7.37p/m 38:03
    PM: 8.25 Miles Easy @7.25p/m 1.01:12

Additional: S&C and stretching

Thursday 28/5

7.10 Miles Easy @7.23 in 52:29

Additional: S&C (the stuff I was too hungover to do the previous day)

Friday 29/5
    14 Miles

AM

8 Miles

Magness Session (1/8): Session 2

(deep breath!)

Plan: 1,600m @10k, 600m @3k, 1,200m @5k, 400m @1,500m, 800m @5k ~3 min rec

-inc. drills/strides

Reps:

1,600m: 5.3x
    600m: 1.55 (5.04p/m)
    1,200m: 4.01 (5.15p/m)
    400m:71 seconds (4.40p/m)
    800m: 2.35 (5.09p/m)

A pretty decent showing this morning. I had a sprinter for company on the track which really helped. Him there his long stride and me there with my short little stride! We complimented each other well :). Again I focused on effort but I decided to record each split. The first rep was too conservative and felt a bit too comfortable in truth. I told myself not to go out too hard on the first rep and I may gone a bit too easy on myself. The 400m should have been a sub 70 lap and it was until I hit the home-straight into the wall of wind. KC mentioned to me the day previous that he found the 5k reps the hardest. Now I know why! The last 800m was a tough one, with the legs feeling the effort.

I finished the session feeling I could (if pushed hard!) knock out a rep or two more.

PM

6 Miles Easy @7.31p/m in 45:07

Question: How was the wind Anthony?

Answer: Well. Mile 2 was in 7.09, while mile 4 was done in 7.47!! So, yeah. It was windy :).

• Advertisement

Saturday 30/5

Long Easy Run
    -10 Miles @6.57p/m in 1.09:33

Still somewhat odd to call a 10 mile run the 'long run' for the week. Legs felt very strong today so the pace was a small bit faster than usual.

Sunday 31/5

9.25 Miles @7.15p/m in 1.07:07
    -inc. 6x10 sec hill sprints ~full recovery

Some say that it's almost impossible to have bad form sprinting up a hill. I'm not convinced on that front just yet! Left the hill reps to late on in the run and to one of the many short sharp hills close to home. The neighbours must think I am mad......

WEEK TOTAL: 75.60+ MILES

I have fully committed to the the Magness 5k Plan for the next few weeks. I have no idea where it will take me but I am really enjoying it. The plan is to complete the Competition Phase before marathon training. I am hoping the 5k times will come but no matter what, I think the plan will really stand to me come marathon training.

Initial thoughts on plan:

-Great variation (never get bored)
    -A strong base it needed before attempting
    -Highlights the importance of mileage (little difference between 5k/marathon training mileage)
    -You need to really nail the sessions (easy days are easy)
    -Interesting approach to hills
    -It's tough but enjoyable going!

Monday 1/6
    13.10 Miles

AM: 5 Miles Easy @7.33p/m in 37:44
    PM: 7.10 Miles Easy @7.28p/m in 52:59

Quite thankful today was an easy day as the win was a right pain. Between standing on Hill 16 for hours the day previous and running in that weather, I am ready for summer!

Tuesday 2/6
    13+ Miles

AM

8 Miles

Magness (2/8): Session 1

Plan: Lactate Threshold 15 minutes~ 4 min recovery, 4x60seconds hill repeats ~jog down recovery

15 minutes @LT: 2.66 Miles @5.39p/m average (5.42. 5.41, 5.34 -.66 mile)

Hills: 8x30sec @1 mile effort ~jog own recovery

-inc. drills/strides

It's hard to know your LT without doing proper testing. It's even harder to run at LT after you have taken a massive fall during the warm-up! Ouch. In layman's terms, LT is approximately 10 mile race effort or the fine line between anaerobic and aerobic running. I settled on a target of 5.40 per mile after much thought but I was happy enough to tip around basing everything on effort if needs be. In all a good hard run in which I could have faster but that would have defeated the purpose of the session. A decent benchmark was set today and it will be interesting to see the pace of this type of run over the next few weeks.

I was in two minds about the hill repeats. There was no suitable hill nearby (well, within the alloted 4 min rec) so for the first time I went off script and decided on 8x30 (vs. 4x60) on a nearby steep hill. Hard but fine.

PM

5 Miles Easy @7.22p/m in 36:52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Assuming you were at the beermile stadium; there is a nice downhill on the southside of the track down towards Loughlinstown.
    Running into the wind would have probably had the same affect given today's weather :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Assuming you were at the beermile stadium; there is a nice downhill on the southside of the track down towards Loughlinstown.
    Running into the wind would have probably had the same affect given today's weather :)

Cool. I'll check that out next time! Cheers

Friday 5/6

6 Miles Easy @7.07p/m in 42:46

Saturday 6/6

AM

6.11+ Miles

-1 mile warm-up
    -Marlay Park Parkrun @5.36p/m in 17.23
    -2 miles warm-down

A good tempo run in windy conditions. Good to be back on the horse after a good break away from racing. Never pushed myself too hard as I only had one easy day running instead of the prescribed two. Steve Magness has finally given me a kick. I didn't have the watch on which meant the time flew by. Loads more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Such modesty...

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote:
    Such modesty...

Just wait until Saturday........!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Just interested in how you're finding the switch from marathon training to 5k training while maintaining mileage DR? I was taking a similar approach coming out of Dublin last year though more 10k focused but I never got to see how it worked out because of injury.

How's the body feel with having to do a lot shorter runs but more often instead of getting the bulk of your mileage from the long runs and med-long runs? Which way are you finding easier on the body?

At times, I was finding it more difficult to run doubles than run longer in one go as strange as that sounds so I'd be interested ti hear your thoughts on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

At times, I was finding it more difficult to run doubles than run longer in one go as strange as that sounds

I've always found this too, no matter how short the double is. Don't ask me why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I've always found this too, no matter how short the double is. Don't ask me why?

twice as much washing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

PaulieC wrote: »
    twice as much washing ?

Hate this one - especially when you thrown a cycle or two into the mix. Can have 3 lots some days !

• Advertisement

Just interested in how you're finding the switch from marathon training to 5k training while maintaining mileage DR? I was taking a similar approach coming out of Dublin last year though more 10k focused but I never got to see how it worked out because of injury.

How's the body feel with having to do a lot shorter runs but more often instead of getting the bulk of your mileage from the long runs and med-long runs? Which way are you finding easier on the body?

At times, I was finding it more difficult to run doubles than run longer in one go as strange as that sounds so I'd be interested ti hear your thoughts on it.

Hey, interesting questions.

It's was initially very hard to break free of the marathon training shackles. Losing the midweek long/long steady and tempo/long weekend run was a bit of a shock initially, both mentally and physically. There's something incredibly satisfying in running for 20+ miles. Also, the idea of being fresh for sessions was hard to get my head around. My marathon training has always been about running on tired legs, in training and races.

Yeah, definitely finding it easier on the old body. This is probably mainly down to taking the easy days back a fair amount. There's usually 2/3 sessions a week so everything is geared towards that. That's hopefully where the real improvements will be made.

You kind of have no choice but to do a far amount of double days. I find it way easier on the legs to do 2*6 Mile runs over a single 10/11 mile run. Like anything running 4/5 doubles a week quickly becomes a habit. It's now routine. People think you are mad (non-runners!) but it makes sense.

I would only recommend the Magness plans to a runner with a good base. Most weeks are 75+ miles so you need to be strong as the plan could break a runner not accustomed to the higher mileage stuff. I don't think the plan is any way high mileage for a 5k. There shouldn't be a huge difference between a marathon vs. 5k plan in my opinion.

I am already really feeling the benefit after 2 weeks. For the first real time I felt I had a kick, an extra gear on Saturday. I really surprised myself that I could maintain a big surge in pace and hold it. That's a huge addition and hopefully I can build on it. I am genuinely excited to see where it takes me.

Once I wrap up the shorter stuff in 6 weeks it's straight onto marathon training. Hopefully by that stage I would have raced a good amount and knocked my 5k time right down.
    yaboya1 wrote: »

It largely comes own to mileage. I wouldn't really advise a runner running under 45mpw to do more than one double a week. The real benefits of the double are mainly lost. If you are running 80+ mile weeks you really have to do a good few doubles in my opinion. Like most things, you have to give them a prolonged chance. After a few weeks you'll probably see the benefits. They work for me but each to their own!

Saturday 6/7

PM

6 Miles Easy @7.11p/m in 43:07

Sunday 7/7

8.10 Miles Easy @7.15p/m in 58:45

WEEK TOTAL: 70.8+ MILES

Monday 8/7
    12 Miles

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.25p/m in 44:30
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.16p/m in 43:38

Tuesday 9/7

AM

7+ Miles

Magness (3/8): Session 1

Session: 1,600 @5k, 400m @1mile, 1,200 @5k, 300m @1mile, 600m @5k (last 300m kick/surge) ~3 min recovery

Splits:
    1,600m: 5.20 (5.21p/m)
    400m: 69sec (4.37p/m)
    1,200m: 3.55 (5.15p/m)
    300m: 55sec (4.37p/m)
    600m (inc. kick): 1.51 (4.58p/m)

A somewhat complicated session on paper but with all of his sessions, they make sense when you get into it. I'm still basing my pace on effort, rather than clock-watching and trying to hit certain splits. As I won't be wearing a watch during the next few races I feel this is the best approach. Here's hoping.

During the usual 2 mile warm-up I took a quick glance in the direction of the cinder track. A school athletics day was taking place. FFS! I had the option to scrap the session or plough on, risking embarrassing myself before quite a large crowd. On I went..........

The session was tough, with a few detours around the relay race to spice up proceedings! Probably the hardest session to date. The 1,200m was hard going as too was the last rep with the 'kick'. The legs were hanging off me for the 'kick' part. I am still not too sure whether it was a surge or just me keeping the pace respectable! A fair bit of dodging on the 300m rep meant a slow reading.

The guilt of reeling in a young kid on the track to maintain the pace wasn't my finest moment.............:o I won by the way!

Tuesday 9/6

PM

5.15 Miles Easy @7.31p/m in 38:44

A nice easy run to loosen out the legs after that mornings session. Well, that's how it should read. I had a serious leg wobble between mile 3-4 on a downhill section. Thoughts of that ice cold can of Sprite sitting in the fridge (not mine!) filled the mind. I know when this happens I am low on energy. Luckily it very rarely happens! Recovered and got home.

Wednesday 10/6

9 Miles Easy @7.43p/m in 1.09:27

Crackin' run with company around my old haunt. Forgot how nice running on the canal is. The traffic is a right pain though!

Thursday 11/6

AM

8 Miles

Magness (3/8): Session 2

Plan: Aerobic Refresh

-10min @MP, 7min @LT, 5 min @10k, 3 min @5k ~3 min recovery/easy

To you and me, a broken progressive run :).......

Splits:

10min @MP: 1.69 miles @5.56p/m in 10:02
    7min @LT: 1.26 miles @5.34p/m in 7:01
    5min @10k: .91 mile @5.31p/m in 5:01
    3min @5k: .58 mile @5.14p/m in 3:02

I finally worked out that you can add 5 (max 6) seconds to each pace per mile to account for the garmin on the cinder. A hard mornings work but the weather was verging on perfection. As you can see, I kind of fell asleep of the 10k rep. I just went a bit easy on myself. I probably had one eye on the last rep. I feel like I am pushing myself a bit more every session and honing in on my true pace. This week is the toughest to date so will be a happy man on Sunday when I have gotten through it! The main thing is that I am enjoying it. I actually look forward to sessions. Never thought i'd say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hi DR

Good to see you back at it. I'd wonder about about those paces- you dont seem to have raced since donadea, andf little enough before that?

The faster you are the further LT should be from 10K pace. I'd be worried youre pushing very hard in these. 5:56/mile marathon pace?

Have you thought about a race - see where you are and run the paces off that?

Good luck with the magness plan -will follow with interest. :)

Hi DR

Good to see you back at it. I'd wonder about about those paces- you dont seem to have raced since donadea, andf little enough before that?

The faster you are the further LT should be from 10K pace. I'd be worried youre pushing very hard in these. 5:56/mile marathon pace?

Have you thought about a race - see where you are and run the paces off that?

Good luck with the magness plan -will follow with interest. :)

Hey, yeah valid points. The paces are a small deceiving. The garmin measures quick so you can add 5/6 seconds per mile. I try to do most things by effort, I have another few weeks to focus on hitting certain splits etc. I did a race last week (first for four months!). Granted it last around LT effort, not race pace. The idea is to race now a fair bit without the watch over the next few weeks. I don't want the added pressure of trying to certain splits just yet (if that makes any sense!). It will take time. I will make mistakes but I feel this is the best approach. The plan has me racing every 2nd week but I will do a few more as I am rusty!

I went from bagging a few 5k sessions before starting the Magness. A good few actually. I had to start again, stop running the club sessions and since I did that I have completed each session without wanting to die so I think (and hope) I have started to get things right. It's a pain not going the sessions with others but I have to learn how to run my own pace.

Yeah, I agree about LT. It's the one real pace I am apprehensive about training at. I may get myself tested.

Hope that makes some sense.

Thursday 11/6
    13+ Miles

PM: 5 Miles Easy @7.27p/m in 37:18

Friday 12/6
    11.50 Miles

PM: 6.50 Miles Easy @7.20p/m in 47:42
    PM: 5 Miles Easy @7.24p/m in 37:04

Tired.

Saturday 13/6

AM

Medium Long Run
    -14 Miles @7.01p/m in 1.38:20
    ~inc. 6x30 second strides (@3k effort) in last 2.5 miles

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/802443578

Content to see the aerobic base in decent shape. This was my longest run in quite some some and the longest run in the 8 week competition phase. The idea (I imagine) is to push the effort when on tired legs. Race simulation if you will. A good mornings work which is good as I have a half marathon race in two weeks. It won't be a race I will go flat out on but it should prove a good honest test.

Feeling sharper with each passing week which is also good as I have a 'race' tonight. How that will go is anyone's guess..........:D

Saturday 13/6

PM

PB!

National Beer Mile: 3rd Place in 6.09

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95882822&postcount=678

Sunday 14/6

8 Miles Easy @7.06p/m in 56:47

Somehow got away with this one! Legs in good order.

WEEK TOTAL: 80.65+ MILES (+1 BEER MILE :))

Last week was amongst the hardest in the 8 week schedule and the toughest to date. Three hard days were balanced by 4 easier ones. It probably wasn't the best idea to run fast on the beer mile but it's a once a year event! (how I ran a 69 second last lap i'll never know). I may race twice this week but certainly once. I may swap a session for a hard 5k training run in order to sharpen the old racing skills. I need to get rid of some of the rust! I'll play it by feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Return visit to Kilbride?

tang1 wrote: »
    Return visit to Kilbride?

Yeah, half thinking about it. Had a nightmare there last year but loved the race. A really fast course (for 'rural' Ireland!). I'll see how the body feels tonight. I'm 50/50. If I do i'll just run hard and leave the watch it the car. You heading over?

Yeah, half thinking about it. Had a nightmare there last year but loved the race. A really fast course (for 'rural' Ireland!). I'll see how the body feels tonight. I'm 50/50. If I do i'll just run hard and leave the watch it the car. You heading over?

Na, eldest lad has a introductory school evening tomorrow so that scuppered my plans to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You doing Dunshaughlin?
    ( I realise I may have asked you this in the pub :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Hi DublinRunner,

Just catching up on the log and see your following Magness. What's the target race? Notice you have a few tempoish efforts in races and a Half Marathon coming up.

Do you have many 5k's specifically chosen for the training plan you are doing?

menoscemo wrote: »
    You doing Dunshaughlin?
    ( I realise I may have asked you this in the pub :o)

Ha, you could have! No idea.

Working late the previous night so doubt it. It's a late start though so I may do. 10km race might not be the best option though. Heard it's a great race.
    Hi DublinRunner,

Just catching up on the log and see your following Magness. What's the target race? Notice you have a few tempoish efforts in races and a Half Marathon coming up.

Do you have many 5k's specifically chosen for the training plan you are doing?

Hey

Haven't really looked that far ahead to be honest! With it being the summer I should be grand for a decent fast/good depth of field race in a few weeks. Yeah, I have a 13 mile run in the plan so I think I will tempo it in a race. Session Mon and Wed with the HM on Saturday perhaps. If tired the option is always there to easy run it with company!

I haven't target any particular races just yet as I just want to focus on training and not taper/rest up for races. I'm so out of race shape I just want to use races as preparatory sessions. Coming near the end of the plan i'll focus all my efforts on probably 2 5k races. Will have no excuses by then! Willing to allow myself a few mistakes in the short-term.

I haven't target any particular races just yet as I just want to focus on training and not taper/rest up for races. I'm so out of race shape I just want to use races as preparatory sessions. Coming near the end of the plan i'll focus all my efforts on probably 2 5k races. Will have no excuses by then! Willing to allow myself a few mistakes in the short-term.

This was kinda the point I was getting at.

I think you are definitely seeing benefits from the 5k training but you are not fully committing to it if you don't mind me saying so.

Going into races with a "this is only a session" mentality immediately gives you an out, coupled with the HM and the previous Parkrun which was kinda in between a tempo pace and an all out effort I think you are slightly selling the specific 5k work you are doing a little short.

You can go into races fresh without resting up or tapering to an extent and I think getting a handful of shorter races under the belt will put you in a great place to take huge chunks off your time come the target races.

This was kinda the point I was getting at.

I think you are definitely seeing benefits from the 5k training but you are not fully committing to it if you don't mind me saying so.

Going into races with a "this is only a session" mentality immediately gives you an out, coupled with the HM and the previous Parkrun which was kinda in between a tempo pace and an all out effort I think you are slightly selling the specific 5k work you are doing a little short.

You can go into races fresh without resting up or tapering to an extent and I think getting a handful of shorter races under the belt will put you in a great place to take huge chunks off your time come the target races.

Oh yeah, totally! I'm definitely not fully committing for sure. I guess that's mainly down to not having raced for 4 months. I mentioned to someone on Sunday that it's not where I am now that's important, it's how I run in October. That's the goal. Is that a cop-out? For some people it will sound like it. The 5k training is a means to an end. Now in saying that, I am enjoying more than I could have ever imagined! Yeah, the parkrun was an odd one. If the leader went out 10 seconds a mile quicker I would have went with him. Pretty confident of that.

I know where you are coming from and pretty much 100% agree. Sometimes I am caught in no-mans-land. I really don't want to be that person running almost the exact same times, week in week out. I see it so often. I am trying (really trying!) to peak in a few weeks for the 5k. I am confident it will work out but if it doesn't (it bloody better!) I still reckon i'll be in a great place for an 8/9-week assault on marathon training.

Hope that makes sense in some way!

Oh yeah, totally! I'm definitely not fully committing for sure. I guess that's mainly down to not having raced for 4 months. I mentioned to someone on Sunday that it's not where I am now that's important, it's how I run in October. That's the goal. Is that a cop-out? For some people it will sound like it. The 5k training is a means to an end. Now in saying that, I am enjoying more than I could have ever imagined! Yeah, the parkrun was an odd one. If the leader went out 10 seconds a mile quicker I would have went with him. Pretty confident of that.

I know where you are coming from and pretty much 100% agree. Sometimes I am caught in no-mans-land. I really don't want to be that person running almost the exact same times, week in week out. I see it so often. I am trying (really trying!) to peak in a few weeks for the 5k. I am confident it will work out but if it doesn't (it bloody better!) I still reckon i'll be in a great place for an 8/9-week assault on marathon training.

Hope that makes sense in some way!

I get that the 5km stuff is a means to an end but at the same time it probably needs to be addressed 100% in order to get the benefits you are looking for in order to push on come the marathon.

I reckon you will be in a good place at the end of it transitioning into marathon training but I do think that racing a bit more will help psychologically.

PB's usually give us confidence so I think the quicker you go in this block the more confidence you will having going forward and I think a few more balls out races will help physically and mentally push on to faster times as racing in itself is an element which needs to be practiced.

I get the fear of over racing and stagnation but I think under-racing can be just as bad in terms of limiting race performance in many people.

I get that the 5km stuff is a means to an end but at the same time it probably needs to be addressed 100% in order to get the benefits you are looking for in order to push on come the marathon.

I reckon you will be in a good place at the end of it transitioning into marathon training but I do think that racing a bit more will help psychologically.

PB's usually give us confidence so I think the quicker you go in this block the more confidence you will having going forward and I think a few more balls out races will help physically and mentally push on to faster times as racing in itself is an element which needs to be practiced.

I get the fear of over racing and stagnation but I think under-racing can be just as bad in terms of limiting race performance in many people.

I would have preferred a longer 5k cycle but with a desire to do an autumn marathon that meant a shorter cycle (coupled with a hamstring tear). In November I will be straight back into 5k training to a cycle of around 16 weeks (inc. some XC). I want to knock my 5k time as far down as possible over the next few weeks. There's no thinking about the marathon until the 8 weeks is up!

I hope to get the balance right in terms of racing. It's a hard one. I know where you are coming from and it has given me some food for thought! Thanks

Monday 15/6

6.10 Miles Easy @7.10p/m in 43:41

A nice easy day to allow me the chance to race the Kilbride 5k the next day.

Tuesday 16/6
    9.5+ Miles

AM

3 Mile Shakeout @7.28p/m in 22:25

Finally settled on focusing the entire week towards 10km in Dunshaughlin. Happy to have finally settled on a race for the weekend. Relieved.

PM

6.5+ Miles

Magness (4/8): Session 1

Plan: 4x(600@5k, 600@steady)

Splits:
    1.54, 2.17
    1.59, 2.19
    1.59, 2.18
    1.57, 2.12

-inc. drills/strides

Not feeling the greatest all day so simply focused on effort. I found it quite humid and the first real hot one this year. Not a great session but not the worst. The session reads ok on paper but it's a nasty enough one in practice. Maybe I should have eased back on the steady pace and push the 5k effort but still not convinced.

It was nice to have someone on the track. A young girl dressed head to head in winter gear (casually walking clock and anti-clockwise around the 400m cinder) gave me a nice target to hunt down. Sometimes you just have to laugh!

Wednesday 17/6
    10.60 Miles

AM: 5 Miles Easy @7.33p/m in 37:48
    PM: 5.60 Miles Easy @7.09p/m in 40:09

Frustrated beyond belief today.

Work came in for Sligo on Saturday night. It's silly season at the moment, so with no regular teaching until September, it was work I couldn't turn down. That's Dunshaughlin out. €16.05 I will never see again. While not initially annoying me it really p1ssed me right off during the day. I really let it get to me. The choice was to force a race the next day (Docklands 5k) or leave it. To be honest, I was too frustrated to even really consider it properly.

The humidity in the morning was unreal. My confidence levels are up-and-down like well, i'll stop there. From thinking last week that low 5 minute miles was noticeably getting easier week on week, I was now convincing myself that I couldn't even manage sub 7.30's comfortably. Sometimes running just makes no sense. Might be time for a team sport........:eek:

Thursday 18/6

AM

5.5+ Miles

Magness (4/8): Session 2

Plan: 9x300m (alternating 3k,1 mile pace) ~100m jog recovery

Splits:

-inc. drills/strides

Luckily the cycle group on the track made way before I got going this morning. Unfortunately, I got called a "plonker" by two midget skobes during one of the reps. ''Good man'' I replied which was a pretty sensible reply during a 1 mile pace rep. Two midget skobes, with a dog drinking cans in the morning. Classy. I may be indeed a plonker but when did they start getting so tame with their abuse?! They wouldn't be so nice to you on the northside. Still the first heckle I have gotten in years. Pity it was so lame!

I have no idea whether the session was a success or not. In truth, I don't really care at the moment. I am kind of going through the motions. The motions are still enjoyable but I have given up over-thinking the situation!

In total 2.7km at a decent clip. I'll take that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Monday 15/6

Luckily the cycle group on the track made way before I got going this morning. Unfortunately, I got called a "plonker" by two midget skobes during one of the reps. ''Good man'' I replied which was a pretty sensible reply during a 1 mile pace rep. Two midget skobes, with a dog drinking cans in the morning. Classy. I may be indeed a plonker but when did they start getting so tame with their abuse?! They wouldn't be so nice to you on the northside. Still the first heckle I have gotten in years. Pity it was so lame!

You'd never hear of such a thing on the Northside:pac:

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote:
    You'd never hear of such a thing on the Northside

Haha. Imagine drinking at a cinder track. You'd never catch me at that (!). The kids these days. No respect!!!

Friday 19/6
    10.5+ Miles

PM: 5 Miles Easy @7.19p/m in 36:40

Saturday 20/6

7 Miles
    -inc. 15min @LT

Lactate Threshold: 2.74 miles @5.28p/m in 15:01
    Splits: 5.28, 5.31, 5.25 (.74)

The details above are the garmin details which are a shade generous (err!). I actually ran 4,300m on the track so the average pace was closer to 5.37 a mile, not 5.28. There was a noticeable improvement compared to the exact same run a number of weeks ago. That was somewhat surprising as I was absolutely wrecked, having going to bed at 3.20am only to be back up at 5.30am to do an airport run! Ouch. The run itself was comfortably hard. I didn't once look at the garmin, choosing to simply check the stopwatch the odd time.

Sunday 21/6

8.25 Miles Easy @7.14p/m 59:41

Once again I was totally shattered. There was no chance of a double today having gone to sleep the previous night at half four having driven half the bloody country! Fun, fun, fun.......:). It's time for a Dolly Parton.......i.e a Nine to Five job!

WEEK TOTAL: 60.10+ MILES

A slightly numb feeling with regards to the training for the week. The absence of a race really impacted on what should have been a very solid week. Added to that I also made a mistake with the miles for the week. I took a glance over the plan for week 5 only to see the target for week 4 was 65 miles, not 60. Luckily by that stage I was on my third beer, otherwise I probably would have succumbed to my runners OCD and ticked off a very pointless 5 miles.

Hey DR, you're in pretty good shape at the moment and it's evident the speed work is having a positive impact. Ok so you missed out on Dunshaughlin, that happens, but why don't you just pick a race this week and do it? you're hardly short of races up there at this time of year, especially if you can fit it in on the day of a planned session. All this great training but no racing and the longer you leave it the harder it gets to tune that sharpness again. Personally I have been guilty of it, I had left it 4-5 months between races earlier in the year and found it mentally quite difficult when I did race again.

I'm not sure how long it's been but I've been following your log for a while now and I can't remember the last time you actually raced a race flat out since the Dublin marathon, am I right?

Again, times don't matter, just get a few under your belt, race them hard and the times will come. I know this plan is a means to an end in terms of working towards an Autumn marathon but I'd love to see you crack a few PBs in 5k - 10k. You're more than capable, it'll do your confidence the world of good and you'll hit the marathon specific stuff with that extra edge. Just my opinion!

Nice fast 5k which always attracts a decent field in Kilcock Friday evening where you could test out the progress of your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I'm with jebuz above. Get off your arse, put your balls on the line and race for feck sake
    It's time for a Dolly Parton.......i.e a Nine to Five job!

Nine to five is not my mental image when I think of Dolly!

Nine to five is not my mental image when I think of Dolly!

So you're thinking blonde hair & country music then ???? :cool:

• Advertisement

Big pair of these comes to mind when thinking of Dolly, sorry:

Haha.......good old Dolly. I was watching some of Glastonbury's Greatest Moments (or something) the last night. She still got it!

Yeah, racing. Last Tuesday I almost tore my hair out before settling on Dunshaughlin. To be honest, I really didn't care about the time. I wasn't going to wear a watch, just run bloody hard and see what happened. Only the next that plan was in tatters. It really p1ssed me off and I threw a bit of a strop and wasn't ar$ed looking for anything else. The plan has a race next week so that's the plan. I haven't gone to sleep before 3am over the past few days so that needs to change! If anyone thinks I don't like to race that really isn't the case. I l love race mornings, racing itself and the afters. Nothing is like it. What I hate is the day before but I think most are like that. I guess my mentality is kind of also down to seeing the same people, running in around the same times, month on month, year on year. You can almost predict the results on precision timing etc. There's nothing wrong with that but it's not for me. I have kind of gone too far the other way so it's time to rectify that, I know.

I am more interested i the process (over results) during this cycle. In saying that I will be pretty devastated if I don't run a time I know I am capable of. The process does involve putting myself on the start line of races, don't worry.

Back to Dolly.......:pac:

Monday 22/6
    12.10 Miles

AM: 6.6 Miles Easy @7.18p/m in 48:14
    PM: 5.5 Miles Easy @7.04p/m in 38:53

Apparently I ran today. Well that's what strava/garmin connect tells me anyway. It could all be a big conspiracy though......!

Tuesday 23/6
    11.25+ Miles

AM

6+ Miles

Magness (5/8): Session 1

Plan: 2x(800m,800m,400m) ~45sec b/t reps, 4min b/t sets

Splits:
    2.37, 2.38, 78
    2.40, 2.41, 73

-inc. drills/strides

I guess the stats tell you most of the story.

This now takes pride of place as the toughest session to date. I struggled big time. From the 300m mark into the 2nd rep I was done. The legs were dead and I was working. I wanted out badly and every lap was a bit of a mental battle. The 45 second recovery between reps may as well have not existed. I recovered a bit during the 4 minute recovery. I made the leap and took off my t-shirt to the shock of the elderly walkers enjoying the glorious sun! I have turned into that person. The person I hate. From here on in it was all about clinging on and breaking down each rep into 200m segments. I find that I usually 'turn the corner' during these Magness sessions, when things get a bit easier after going through a far amount of solo pain. Luckily, I turned that very corner during the fourth 800m rep. I rallied a small bit with a 73 second closing lap. I only leaked four seconds from the first to the last 800m rep. I say 'only' because at times it felt like I was standing still (and topless :o).

For whatever reason (heat/hayfever) today was hard but I battled it out. These sessions should be hard. I guess that if you are completing these type of 5k sessions with relative comfort you aren't really training at your real 5k pace/effort.

PM

5.25 Miles Easy @7.28p/m in 39:12

Back to Dolly.......:pac:

Dolly meets Paidí Ó Sé :) Music about 6 minutes in with Steve Cooney - if you're not into Dolly skip to about 11 mins for an instrumental by Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qXFoNrqi3Y

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Yeah, racing. Last Tuesday I almost tore my hair out before settling on Dunshaughlin. To be honest, I really didn't care about the time. I wasn't going to wear a watch, just run bloody hard and see what happened. Only the next that plan was in tatters. It really p1ssed me off and I threw a bit of a strop and wasn't ar$ed looking for anything else. The plan has a race next week so that's the plan. I haven't gone to sleep before 3am over the past few days so that needs to change! If anyone thinks I don't like to race that really isn't the case. I l love race mornings, racing itself and the afters. Nothing is like it. What I hate is the day before but I think most are like that. I guess my mentality is kind of also down to seeing the same people, running in around the same times, month on month, year on year. You can almost predict the results on precision timing etc. There's nothing wrong with that but it's not for me. I have kind of gone too far the other way so it's time to rectify that, I know.

Holy feck. I read some of your replies and they leave me confused :) Lets look at the cold hard facts. Bar a parkrun and a beermile you haven't raced since DCM 2014 (I think). While your beermile was impressive, just like the parkrun it wasn't a real race. Fair enough if you're more interested in the "process" than race results but if you trawl back through other posters logs on here you'll see that you've had a pop at them for not racing enough! Pot ..... kettle.

So what race are you doing this weekend?

• Advertisement
Advertisement