Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making every mile count

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Injury hasn't impacted you greatly I see, know nothing of today's route but have no doubt Belfast is faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

tang1 wrote:
    Injury hasn't impacted you greatly I see, know nothing of today's route but have no doubt Belfast is faster.

Thanks. Not too bad for a half runner/half gym head lol!

A great race on a rolling (very icy) route. I hoped to run 34.45 comfortably enough but was a bit off. Not too sure will I travel just yet.....can I go 70+ seconds faster? Possibly. Long gone are thoughts of a mid 33 but it's just great to be back out so very happy.

Monday 14/11

AM: Bike (Indoor) - 45min Easy (12.80 Miles)
    PM: Bike (Indoor) - 45min Easy (12.90 Miles)

Tuesday 15/11

AM: Bike (Indoor) - 60min Easy (17.10 Miles)
    PM: 4.25 Miles Easy @7.11p/m 30:35

Wednesday 16/11

AM

7+ Miles inc. drills/strides

Session: 5x800m @5km pace ~2.00 recovery
    Splits: 2.37, 2.36, 2.37, 2.38, 2.38

PM: Elliptical Trainer - 45min Easy (4.60 Miles)

Thursday 17/11

AM: Bike (Indoor) - 30min Very Easy (7.90 Miles)
    PM: 5.25 Miles Easy @7.11p/m in 38:52

Friday 18/11

4 Miles Easy @7.41p/m (treadmill)
    -inc. 3x30sec strides @3k

Saturday 19/11

8.20+ Miles

-w/u 1+ Mile @7.10p/m inc. drills/strides
    - Clane 10km @5.39p/m in 35:09
    -w/d 1+ Mile

Sunday 20/11

Long Easy Run
    -14.50 Miles Easy @6.51p/m in 1.39:25

WEEK TOTAL: 43.20+ MILES +<look away now!> truck loads of cross-training :o

The previous weeks exploits proved too much for the much maligned right leg. I was in a fair amount of discomfort after the long run that evening and night. While it was nowhere near as bad as previously, it did certainly hurt. I once again got pretty down that night, wondering what the f!ck happened. I headed out and hit the bike and I felt I was once again out for a week. I took the Monday off (running :rolleyes:) and prayed for the best. I took myself off to the bike in the gym on Tuesday, resigning myself to a spell on the sidelines until the pain subsided. Obviously someone was listening to my prayers and the leg felt a million times better and I was delighted to head out for a short run that night after work. BOOM! The sheer relief was palpable for all to see (I really don't do injures well!). The session the next day was once again on the cards and a hard session in Clane back on track. How things can change over the course of 48 hours! The decision now was a simple one: forget about mileage and concentrate on hitting the sessions. Every mile on the road had to count!

The planned called for 5x800m @5k off 2.30 recovery. I did said session a number of weeks ago and felt the recoveries were too generous so the option was reduce the recoveries or increase each rep length. I settled on the reduced recovery option and hit the field of dreams (aka Kilbogget Park). The mornings work was very hard going. It quickly became Man vs. Wind. It almost became unrunnable but on I ploughed, knowing the splits would be ssslllllllow. The effort was was most certainly there but as the conditions, as expected, played a significant role. Still, I was out running so I was not complaining! It was quite funny doing the hill reps. I said 'good morning' to an elderly gentleman on the walk down. I was very much out of breath but I managed to exchange a few words. I look back and there was he, a man on 79 years of age, running up that very hill. That brought a smile to my face and reminded me to appreciate all that running and training brings to your life.

Thoughts on Wednesday eve turned to Clane and how I needed to run a semi-decent time. A few easy days before a boring Friday night in. I was in pretty foul form that night. I hate going into races undercooked. It's difficult to get excited about putting yourself out there when any semblance of form is a distant memory. Getting beaten is fine (as much as I hate it) but knowing you'll probably get beaten by people who you should normally always beat is quite the other. It's a case of leave the ego at the front door and get over yourself! Akin to doing 8 minute miles next to the Granny going 5 minute pace in the gym :D. The race itself was fine. I headed out to the startline, leaving the watch in the car. I only really wanted to run this at a hard pace and see what that got me on the clock. Anything over 36 would have been a disaster this morning. The rolling route was a very nice one. I quickly settled into 4th place and felt ok. The pace is still a but of a shock to the legs but it was manageable. The 3 lads ahead soon increased their lead. I was pretty confident at least one would come back to me but I was wrong! The race flew by and soon I was into the closing stages. The icy roads really slowed me down in places, as did the congestion caused by the tail end of the 5k race. I could hear someone behind and I expected him to level and so he did just after the 8km marker. He's only quite new to running but it's fair to say he has a fair bit of talent. I wasn't too concerned on racing him because a) I was in no shape to b) I hadn't slowed down so he must have upped his pace and last c) It didn't matter to me if I came 4th or 5th (perhaps that was a poor attitude to have). I think he would have pipped me if I had pushed anyway. I was happy enough to see 35:09 as it was a fair time given the last month. Can I go faster next week? For sure. Can I go 70 seconds quicker? You will probably get better odds on Leitrim winning the Sam Maguire! Next Saturday is now a shot to nothing. I am still targeting a PB but that may be wishful thinking. I guess there's no other way to find out. Belfast it is. While the run did not feel particular hard I still don't believe I could have gone significantly faster. Seen as it was another solo run, on a rolling icy course, Belfast should naturally be a good chunk faster. I am hoping the rustiness is now out of the legs and that this run will pay dividends come the Seeley Cup.

The race must have provided a significant training stimulus as the easy long run felt like a jog. I was surprised to see the average pace on finishing up. A definite positive. Any day that doesn't have me hunched over a stationary bike is now a very good day!

Am sure you crunched the numbers yourself, but in case you didn't, using Dunshaughlin 10k to compare as its regarded as our premier 10k south of the border:

SUB 34:
    D'shaughlin 2016-16
    Seeley Cup 10k 2015-24

SUB 35:
    D'shaughlin 2016-31
    Seeley Cup 10k 2015-40

SUB 36:
    D'shaughlin 2016-51
    Seeley Cup 10k 2015-59

Last one and i know it doesn't apply to yourself but gives an idea of the better depth of field in the two races:

SUB 40:
    D'shaughlin 2016-177
    Seeley Cup 2015-230

And i'm not for one minute knocking the Dunshaughlin 10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

hmmm
    the Great Ireland Run - ie, national road 10k championships

Sub 34
    26 M 1 F

Sub 35
    45 M 2 F

Sub 36
    59 M 5 F

RayCun wrote: »
    hmmm
    the Great Ireland Run - ie, national road 10k championships

Sub 34
    26 M 1 F

Sub 35
    45 M 2 F

Sub 36
    59 M 5 F

I didn't use the Great Ireland Run because as you said it's a National championships and the standard should be higher than two club run races. I was only using the numbers as a bit of motivation/inspiration for dublin runner at the weekend.

Well done on the PB and dipping into the 33's.

tang1 wrote:
    Well done on the PB and dipping into the 33's.

Ah thanks, very happy. Went out hardish and tried to cling on!

What a race. Undoubtedly one of the best races in the country. It's a real must for any runner imo. Get yourselves up there! I will be back. A proper championship race.

Delighted to get a PB after the last month *.

*for every 2 seconds one knocks off the the old PB, he/she is entitled to one beer/beverage of the their choosing (!)

That's 13 beers/beverages!!!! Great race alright, serious standard.

tang1 wrote:
    That's 13 beers/beverages!!!! Great race alright, serious standard.

The long run may be interesting tomorrow! Haha.

I think I first read about the race on your log a while back, perhaps last year (thanks!). It's a shame more don't travel from the south but then again it's great to run against strangers! There aren't enough of the likes of today/Dunshaughlin/Armagh etc.

Big congrats to jebuz on running 32. Delighted for him (despite of his Cork twang!).

• Advertisement

Monday 21/11

AM: Bike (Indoor) - 45min Easy (11.80 Miles)
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.28p/m in 44:29

Tuesday 22/11

AM

8.10+ Miles inc. drills/strides

Session: 5min @LT, 5@EZ, 3min @10km, 2min @EZ, 3min @10km +60, 45, 30sec @5k to 3km ~2min easy rec

Splits:
    5min @LT (5.25 pace)
    3min@10km (5.24)
    3min@10km (5.22)
    60sec (5.11)
    45sec (4.59)
    30sec (4.51)

Now, take the aboves paces with a good sprinkling of salt. As I used the old garmin (over actual trqack distance) the paces recorded are naturally a few seconds too generous. Damn it! All good this morning. Unlike me to have nought to moan about :). A very useful sharpening session and one I would very much recommend.

Wednesday 23/11

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.19p/m in 43:54
    PM: 15min (Indoor Bike) +big stretch, core and strength session

Thursday 24/11

AM: 5.25 Miles Easy @7.28p/m in 39:16
    PM: 5min (Indoor Bike) +small stretch, core and strength session

Friday 25/11

4 Miles Easy @7.41p/m (treadmill)
    -inc. 3x30sec strides @3k

Saturday 26/11

-w/u 1.50+ miles inc. drills/strides
    -Joe Seeley Cup 33:52 (5.27 p/m)
    -w/d 2 Miles @7.20p/m

Sunday 27/11

Medium Long Easy Run
    -13.25 Miles @6.58p/m in 1.32:20

WEEK TOTAL: 52.30+ MILES (+biking)

Seeley Cup 10km

36th - 33.52

I settled on running a good 10km time many months ago, maybe even as far back as immediately post-marathon in April . I have always stated my desire to run as fast a marathon as I humanly can to that end, one must tackle the shorter distances. The Seeley Cup in Belfast on paper looked perfect; a stacked field, within a two hour drive of Dublin and on a fast closed course. Next to Dunshaughlin and the Great Ireland Run, it is amongst the best 10km road race in the country. While the previous winning times have not been of international or world class, the sheer depth in the field means that to pace in the top 50 a sub 35 minute time is usually required. It really is a proper Championship race.

My last raced 10km was The Lakes 10km (34.15) in September. From there I felt I really kicked on and really believed a 33.2x time was a very realistic target. Now, I know many probably thought that was stretching matters but I really did fully believe it was very obtainable. No doubt in my mind. The only problem was actually running the 6 or so miles at 5.22 pace! Needless to mention again but things hit the rocks in October and I lost many days rehabbing. I was in a pretty bad place for many weeks and I have honestly never worked so hard to get back fit. While I maintained my fitness I lost all the key sessions, the really important 10km sessions that make the difference. It was incredibly disappointing but that's life sometimes. Only after the Clane 10km (35.09) last week did I fully commit to running Belfast. Clane was a slow time but a desperately important run to get me somewhat sharp.

We arrived for registration at 12.50pm, almost two hours ahead of the race. Needless to say this was the earliest I have ever been for any race......ever! So, what do people do after they have arrived so bloody early? It turns out they just nervously stretch and look kind of awkward in the November cold! I collected my race pack in record time and went on the hunt for coffee after a mile jog to loosen out the legs. No luck. I had to settle on a £2 cup of tea over a lovely double espresso. Today was a real shot to nothing and I kind of worried about getting mentally up for the challenge. I had time in the car to mull over things but instead I had to constantly remind myself I was running a race today! Time to rock and make my way to the startline. I suddenly got that familiar pang of race nerves. About time! Perfect. Great to see Conor and Gary on the line.. I had no idea what type of shape Gary was in but I reckoned if I could be within a minute of Conor that would be good going. The race was a sizable one with 1,000 registered but the start was very well organised and people seemed to largely line up in their proper positions. Maybe I was lucky though!

The gun went and I soon found myself in a decent group going at a very decent pace. The wide road meant very little congestion, even if I did line up 3/4 rows back on the line. For whatever reason the first 1km felt very long and I was a bit concerned as usually it flies by in a haze of race excitement. The sharp left turn into the park meant seeing the climb we would have to endure three times. The pace felt hot but it was manageable. I think subconsciously I knew I had to keep up with the small group that formed. I also knew deep down I didn't have the strength in the legs to up the pace in the 2nd half of the race. Today was about clinging on after 5km and hoping for the best. I normally like to work myself in to the race but doing that would mean losing my 'natural' place in the pecking order and the safety of pack running. The lack of any LT or tempo runs over the past 6 weeks meant I was weak in speed endurance. Magness believes the 10km a mix of speed, endurance and strength endurance. I guess I was lacking in all three but you got to play the cards you are dealt with! I settled into the race an the km markers flew by. By the 2nd lap I was working. The group had reduced in size with some pushing on and some falling off the pace.

I was very happy to cross the 5km. I should mention now that I ran without the watch as I thought I would run by effort over targeted pace. I guess if I were targeting a specific time I would have worn the garmin. The pain really started here and I began to work harder and harder. The breathing was nice and controlled but the legs weren't all too happy at the effort. I was clinging on and concentrated on hitting the 6km marker in one piece. I like the 6km point as it marks the beginning of the end for me! Only 2x2km to go! The twisting nature of the course didn't really suit my running style and height but asides from that the conditions were cold but good. The sharp left turn onto the embankment for the 3rd and last time was great. The two lads made a bit of a break here as I negotiated the turn like the oil tanker I am! The 8km sign quickly came and went. It was now about inching forward to trying to up the pace. I knew the pace was slipping but I was anticipating that. The climb was hard hard going, with the legs really feeing the effort. My heavy breathing friend made a break for it on the embankment so I was all on my own, lapping some runners but luckily they didn't cause any issues. I was on my proverbial knees praying for the 9km sign and the signal that the race was almost over. I wasn't in much pain. It was more the discomfort of fatigue and tiredness. I upped the pace and effort but was overtaken by Usain Bolt with a few hundred to go. I don't think I could have kept up with him if I was in the car! :eek: That was some sprint he had.

I crossed the line not having a clue of the time. As I didn't see a clock I had to wait to see my name on the excellent screen set up. Through the haze of body heat and fog, through the smell of sweat and my own heavy breathing, I saw 'Donore Harriers 33:52'. Luckily, it had my name to the left of it after I composed myself a bit.

I got to be happy with that time. I will go faster but if you offered me that time this time last month I would have eaten your hand, arm and shoulder off. Sometimes it's a about winning, placing and running fast times. Sometimes it's just about doing something new and scary. Today? Today was simply about doing myself some sort of justice and being able to look myself in the mirror and be happy.

The Seeley Cup is a real must do race. It's not the fastest or the most scenic of courses but it is a real top class race. A proper competitive Championship race. If you want to run, run to your maximum potential in the second half of the year in Ireland, look no further.

All roads now lead to April and the Rotterdam Marathon 2017.

Your chiptime is 33.49, doing yourself out of 3 seconds!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Nice run, dude.

tang1 wrote: »
    Your chiptime is 33.49, doing yourself out of 3 seconds!!!

Am I?! Jaysus, I missed out on 1.5 drinks on Saturday night so!! Haha.......:pac:
    davedanon wrote: »
    Nice run, dude.

Thanks, Dave. You should pencil it in for next year, t'is a good one. You'd run a very good time up there!

Am I?! Jaysus, I missed out on 1.5 drinks on Saturday night so!! Haha.......:pac!

Yeah the results on Athletics NI give you chiptime of 33.49.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Great report. Sounds like a fantastic race. Must try and make it up next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super performance and an amazing time. Very well done and no doubt more to come when you stay injury free.

Super performance and an amazing time. Very well done and no doubt more to come when you stay injury free.

Thanks Alan. Very well done at the weekend. The result was never in doubt in my eyes (I didn't even feel the need to track the tracker!). Breaking 3 is not everything in running but it does open the door and knocks down a significant barrier. Great job. Now look to 2.4x after a long rest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great stuff, well done on the PB and performance. Hopefully you can get build up that momentum again now as you move towards the longer stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Am I?! Jaysus, I missed out on 1.5 drinks on Saturday night so!! Haha.......:pac:

Thanks, Dave. You should pencil it in for next year, t'is a good one. You'd run a very good time up there!

I had an entry! Didn't go in the end, obviously. Was on antibiotics and generally unprepared.

davedanon wrote:
    I had an entry! Didn't go in the end, obviously. Was on antibiotics and generally unprepared.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned 2017. No way you can run in antibiotics so smart choice! Hope all is well and you recover quickly.

Where did all the time go? Time to fill in the blanks but before I do that I will write a bit about the race last week. The week long trip to the Canary Islands over the Christmas period was a very welcome one. Training was ticked off every day except one but the many many late nights left the body is quite some state! I think part of mw knew what the new year would bring training-wise so I mad hay in the all-inclusive resort. Getting back very late on Stephen's night gave me two nights to sort out myself before heading to Sutton to run the Fat Turkey Run. A very apt name given the recent exploits :).........

Wednesday 28/12

Fat Turkey Run

4th - 35.38

Slow time, right? If anyone knows the route they will know why. It's a right bruiser, with a 5km climb from Sutton to the Howth Summit Carpark. I forgot to charge the watch beforehand. Maybe I knew the challenge to come and subconsciously did not want to see the sllllow splits. It was great to see so many friendly faces on the startline. Looking around I knew I would be roughly in the top 10 but it's always hard to tell for sure. I really did underestimated the first 2km, Holy God it was rough going. Just horrible. The relentless climb (70m) into the headwind had me looking for the exit door! At least that was the worst part of the course over with I told myself. It may have been the hardest section but it did not get much easier. I settled into a 3 man group here, before CMcC kicked on, leaving myself at DK braving it out. Here we were offered a brief respite an a downhill section. It did last long and soon we were battling it out once more in another relentless climb. The 3km-5km section was hard running. There was no let up and it now case of the reaching the summit and the turnaround in one piece. We soon turned and I could finally see the 5km marker. The sharp long climb up to the carpark had the lungs bursting!

Myself and DK had been trading places to this point, keeping each other quite honest. We reached the top together but I was not looking forward to the race down! The descent down was great fun. The pace obviously dropped but the legs were fairly battered from the the climb. We had the comical moment of overtaking a learner Dublin Bus driver, probably expecting a quite day day to lean the route. No chance! DK made a few metres on me on the descent but I knew there was that sneaky climb to complicate matters before the freefall decent to the finish line. The same road that offered us respite after the first 2km was now coming back to bite us in the form of a nasty climb. Here I caught him and overtook. I put the head down and ran the last 2km as hard as I could. I really didn't want it to come down a sprint finish :p. The legs had enough by this stage and every sambuca consumed over the Christmas festivities was regretted.

I crossed the line pretty happy to see the time. I really cannot imagine a slower course but I found it incredibly challenging and rewarding. Great fun.

Let the marathon training begin. I am in a good place, faster and more relaxed about training and racing compared to this time last year. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

That's a brilliant performance in the FT. Lindie Naughton says the top two are international mountain runners!

That's a brilliant performance in the FT. Lindie Naughton says the top two are international mountain runners!

Thanks, I still have no real idea how to judge the performance but reckon it's decent enough. I still cannot run downhill so could make the gains I wanted in the 2nd half. Yeah, the lads in 1st and 2nd were a cut above. I knew about the Raheny runner but knew nothing about the winner. A quick google after confirmed his pedigree (30min 10km guy etc.) so I didn't feel too bad after reading that!

The race was a really good test and I think it's a race to come back to and hopefully gauge the gains made year-on-year :).

• Advertisement

What to do on a 4 hour flight after your Second Captains podcast has ended? That's right, write something to repress the boredom. God, I hate flying. I may as well post what I have written as the thought of gathering every run from the the past 4 weeks will take some time. Time I do not have at the moment.

Saturday 17/12

Marlay parkrun

16.47 *no barcode, no time :rolleyes:

A trip to Sligo was once more on the cards this morn. Unfortunately this means dissecting the country, forcing one to endure the misery that is the Midlands but needs must. The choice was to do my own solo session (in no humour), do a parkrun out West or do the option most familiar. Marlay parkrun it was to be. In my current state of limbo/base training the main goal is nothing more than tick over and hammer out the miles. With that in mind, I toed the line this morning with little idea what or indeed, how to run. I settled on a good hard training run, well fueled by the late night snack of Pringles and chocolate. The run itself was sluggish but manageable. The legs felt good but the foot-strike lacked bounce, almost flat footed (pre-run drills sorely missed). I like the course. It's a good test, with a nasty enough opening kilometre. I settled into 5/6th place on the climb, waiting for the usual implosions to happen. If today were a 800m race I would have been destroyed but luckily for me, there's another 4,200m to go! With the high point of the course reached, it quickly became a solo run. A solo training run but an enjoyable one. I was content to cross the line in 16.47, matching the recent opening 5km split in Belfast. I'm not too sure what can be concluded from that!

I repeat the course to warm down and in doing so, inadvertently paced some runner throughout. Overtake me or back off my good friend! I started to play a few games on him which was quite fun. Every corner saw me sprinting before backing off. For the second time today, the home-straight came into view and I could sense him closing. WTF? Had he missed the parkrun? Madness! He almost leveled before stopping his watch on the finish line. Just bonkers. Sometimes you really do have to wonder. Pretty funny in fairness!

An excellent morning in near perfect running conditions. Now for the customary stop-off in Mother Hubbard's to reward……...:D

I think I can run a 5km PB on this course. Now, I do not plan to do any 5k races (well, asides from a local one in Sligo next month) but may give it a lash on tired marathon training legs at some point.

Sunday 8/1

Kilanerin 10km

2nd - 34.38

The joys of racing during marathon training! The word of the day: Grind. In a week of relative high mileage the thoughts of racing on tired legs wasn't one that filled the mind or body with any real sense of excitement. On seeking some advice during the week, it was once again explained to me the benefits of not chasing fast times whilst training for the 26.2 mile distance. The plan called for a longer race but with none in the Irish racing calendar I settled on a trip down to Wexford. Why? It was 30km closer than Collinstown, Westmeath :). Luckily the race was at 1pm as I received the much dreaded 3am phonecall to collect someone from their night out (yes, I was jealous!).

The taper was a 5 mile run to Lidl the previous day. I toed the line after I helpfully received a very brief course description. I really shouldn't have asked. It sounded like a toughie. I knew little of the standard around me so went out a bit harder than normal to evaluate the situation. As I wasn't chasing a PB so I was interested in doing a bit of racing and training stimulus. As discussed, the opening 1km was downhill. When I say downhill I mean DOWNHILL! You may as well have jumped off a cliff. I wasn't expecting that. I reached the 1km in one piece, partly scared about the prospect of making up for that sheer drop over the next 9km. I was fairly tired already and wasn't too surprised to be joined by a fellow runner soon after. The next 6km was a right slog, with the leader gradually easing away. The course was quite beautiful but also quite brutal. Climb, drag, climb, drag........I was really tired and felling the pace but put one foot in front of the other and focused on well, nothing in particular!

I was informed the last 2 miles were fast and so it turned out. The pace quickened slightly as I hoped not to be passed. The 9km mark came and went and the attitude and general running form returned to something approaching good natured. I sneakily looked around and saw MB gradually making ground. Ah no. I really wanted to avoided any sort of race to the finish line so I hit the hill to the finish as hard as possible to avoid the dreaded sprint finish.

A quality training run on a very testing course.

Next race? I am really not convinced about the merits of running the Raheny 5 Mile just yet. The Trim 10 Mile is the next main target.

So it beings!

With a mere 12 weeks to go before race day, preparation is well and truly underway for what promises to be an interesting journey. Base phase training was enjoyable, with no pressure to race or perform. Luckily, it did coincide with the Christmas festivities and a much needed trip away so the timing was ideal. The past two months since the Seeley Cup 10km in late November (33.49) involved only two notable outings; a tempo parkrun 5k (16.47) and a hellish race from Sutton to Howth Summit (Fat Turkey 10km - 35.38).......and back down! While the time in the much targeted Seeley Cup was respectful, it fell short of the 33.20 time I had planned for. I ran well but I just simply ran out of legs in the 2nd half of the race. The build up was far from ideal, with tendinitis putting me on the sidelines for a number of weeks beforehand so just to make the start-line was a real achievement.

Like most runners I am extremely goal orientated and even more still, time goal orientated. With that said, the marathon in April will be my only time-trial race of the year. It will be the only race of the year in which I will be targeting a specific time (tbc!). The rest of the year will simply be racing and beating as many of my peers as possible! Good old fashioned racing.

The plan, much like in 2016, is to follow the Magness marathon plan. Last year I found it to be incredibly enjoyable and mentally very rewarding. I will be following the plan quite closely, only adding in suitable races and long run when suits the Irish race calendar. The plan maxes out at 130 mile per weeks which is still somewhat beyond me and my time limitations but if I achieve 105 miles or thereabout like last year, I will more than happy. I will not be running to achieve an arbitrary weekly mileage. As long as I can hit each and every session I will be very content. Asides from session days, every other run will be very easy running with the odd stride or hill sprint session to keep the legs ticking over. All pretty basic and hopefully smart training.

Keep it simple stupid!

Monday 9/1

Long Easy Run
    -20 Miles @7.17p/m

Tuesday 10/1

8 Miles Easy (treadmill)

Wednesday 11/1

AM

9 Miles
    -inc. 8 Miles @Steady (6.09p/m avg.)

PM

4 Miles Easy @7.35p/m

Thursday 12/1

10 Miles Easy @7.25p/m

Friday 13/1

AM

10 Miles
    -inc. 20x400m @10km pace ~40sec recovery

Average: 81 sec (5.26p/m)

PM

4.50 Miles Easy @7.42p/m

Saturday 14/1

AM: 8 Miles Easy @7.20p/m
    PM: 4 Miles Easy @7.13p/m

Sunday 15/1

Long Run: 18 Miles @6.59p/m
    -inc. 10x60sec surges in last 4 miles

WEEK TOTAL: 95.50+ MILES

In all, a decent week in the bank. The long run on Monday was on tired legs after the 10km race the previous day. The legs were definitely tired but strong, as expected! In an effort to fully maximise each and every session I have again slowed down my easy runs. As always, this is a balancing act and one I quite often get wrong. It's a facet of training I am improving in but it can be a difficult aspect to master as many runners (including myself at times) fall into the old trap of running their easy stuff too hard and their hard stuff too easy. As the marathon closes in, there will be a big increase in marathon paced training miles. At this point, it's important to keep some zip in the legs and not get too tunnel visioned about what pace you will run at on April 9th.

I took myself over the the Phoenix Park to participate in Gary O'Hanlon's run class on Wednesday night. It was great to see so many people in attendance. I was more than a small bit apprehensive about the split 35 minute tempo penned in for the Friday. The legs were very tired on Thursday so the thought of running solo at 5.35 pace around the cinder track wasn't all that exciting. Thankfully, I received a message from Luke so I took myself over to a real running track and do some 10km work instead. I was surprised how at ease I was running. It's amazing the difference a day and some company makes!

Monday 16/1

AM: 8.10 Miles Easy @7.28p/m
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.26p/m

Tuesday 17/1

Magness Session 1 (12 weeks): 15min @LT, 3min rec, 2x5min hill @10km, 3min rec, 2x3min hill @5km, 2min rec

14 Miles in total (inc. run to/from gym)

Paces: 5.35 (LT), 5.25 (10km), 5.15 (5km) *adjusted pace (treadmill pace +15sec)

I always enjoy these types of sessions. It's both mentally and physically rewarding, constantly working hard but never going quite into the red zone. I decided to do this down in the gym as the thoughts stomping up a nearby hill at a decent clip in rush hour morning traffic did not exactly set my world of fire! I was certainly working by the end and felt the efforts on the run home. Got the old HR up to 181 so working by the end!

Wednesday 18/1

PM: 8 Miles Easy (treadmill) @7.30p/m

Thursday 19/1

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.29p/m
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.30p/m

Friday 20/1

21 Miles @6.36p/m
    -inc. 9 Miles of (800m @LT '+ a bit', 800m @MP)

Average paces: LT 'plus a bit' 5.40p/m, MP 5.56p/m

Today was the first proper meaty marathon session. It would be fair to say I was a small bit apprehensive about this, given it signalled the start of real marathon sessions and that if it went badly.......well, thankfully it didn't. The plan actually called for 5 miles easy beforehand but after the 3.60 miles up to Kilbogget I was keen to get going in the freezing cold morning that it was. I did consider running this session along the coast but I really did not fancy contesting the paths and roads with dogs, prams and school children. 9 miles on the track equates to just over 36 laps. Ouch. I went through a very rough patch faster the second LT section, seriously questioning my sanity and desire. I messed up the next LT section, running an extra lap. In doing that I had to repeat the length the next time around, to keep things even. I briefly felt good again halfway through before really struggling on the MP laps. This was a real grind. I mustered up some much needed enthusiasm with the end was in sight. While the session never felt very hard it was a real mental battle this morning.

So, with just under 13 miles in the bank I made the decision to tick off another few miles and kill two marathon birds with one marathon stone. I did it the hard way, taking in Killiney Hill. It turned out to be a very enjoyable way to see out the morning. I did however mess up the MP sections so have to keep an eye on this.

Saturday 21/1

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.37p/m
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.30p/m

Very tired but fine.

Sunday 22/1

8 Miles Easy (treadmill) @7.29p/m

The run after the night before.........:rolleyes:

WEEK TOTAL: 97.10+ MILES

A very mundane week, productive as it was. I am now fully in marathon-mode and am enjoying the training. With two hard weeks now back-to-back, the plan sees a race scheduled in for the weekend and a drop in mileage. In writing that, the last few weeks are 120-130mpw in the plan (no chance!). I am taking a bit of a risk and swapping the next two following week, allowing me to run the Trim 10. As much as I like the Raheny 5 I just cannot justify it. I am training for a marathon after all and while it served a very valuable purpose last year, I don't feel the need to race myself into fitness like in 2015. I really want a good time next week so here is hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

nice week..wat mara are u gunnin 4

• Advertisement

UM1 wrote:
    nice week..wat mara are u gunnin 4

The old stomping ground that is now Rotterdam.......DFIU!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

The old stomping ground that is now Rotterdam.......DFIU!!

Going to be a nice few from the Irish running scene there. Assume you have a nice target?

Abhainn wrote: »
    Going to be a nice few from the Irish running scene there. Assume you have a nice target?

Hey, yeah looks that way. It's such a handy one for us Paddy's!

I knew I was going to be asked about a target time at some stage :). I was going to base my target time off a half at first but now I won't. I just don't think it's an accurate gauge for most runners. In saying that I will run Carlingford or Bohermeen but I won't put too much weight into the performance. If I can get through the schedule in one piece and hit sessions like 3x(5@MP, 800m @Steady) and a steady training marathon then I will be more than happy. I think I am looking at 2.34/2.35ish but that may all change! There is a long way to go yet........

Monday 23/1

PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.26p/m

Tuesday 24/1

14 Miles (inc. run to/from gym)

Session: 4x5min uphill @10km (working down to 5k) ~3min EZ rec, 6x8sec hill sprints ~full recovery

Splits (inc. +15sec): 5.25 (Grad. 5) , 5.25 (5), 5.15 (5.5), 5.15 (6)

I am getting used to these early(ish) morning sessions. After a quick espresso I was out the door at 7.30am before I think of anything better to do. Jogging in the morning is fine but running hard before 8am is something of a skill. After a few easy miles to the gym I was soon on the treadmill running like a man drenched by rain. Unfortunately, this wasn't due to any morning rain shower (seating like a pig....lovely!). It was definitely hard going this morning, once again getting the old ticker up to the high 170s.

If you hate treadmill running try a session like this one. Perfect.

Wednesday 25/1

AM: 6.50 Miles Easy @7.20p/m
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.24p/m

Thursday 26/1

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.29p/m (treadmill)
    PM: 6.25 Miles Easy @7.15p/m

Friday 27/1

8.50 Miles Easy @7.16p/m
    -3x30sec @3km

Let there be wind!

Saturday 28/1

How not to run a session :pac:......

10.60+ Miles

-w/u 2.50+ miles
    -Marlay parkrun (@LT) 17.09 ~5.31p/m
    -3-4 min recovery
    -4 Miles @MP ~5.51p/m
    -w/d 1 Mile

So, the plan today was to do the missed 35 split tempo (raced a 10km instead), essentially running the Marlay parkrun course twice, the second time being the actual run itself. I arrived early but not early enough to tick off both a warm-up and 17 odd minute LT loop. I settled on a few easy miles beforehand, briefly thinking about a 2 mile warm-up at marathon pace. I gave up on that notion fairly swiftly though. In truth, I should have planned better and been there on time. With the Trim 10 only 8 days away I really didn't think the planned session 6x(1m@MP, 800m@Steady) was of any real benefit. I had it in my head that the 2nd of the LT loops would closely indicate my pace for the 10 mile distance. As you can see, I really want a decent time next weekend! The parkrun itself was very manageable, even if some wanted to race me (quite annoying!). I stuck to the task at hand and held the effort steady. I was pretty happy that it was very comfortable......well, comfortably hard. Hand in the token.......ok Anthony, man up. I went back to the startline and told myself to do the 2nd loop at MP. I missed a turn and ended up running 4 miles. I think all the miles have started to slowly creep up on me as I felt tired. Tired but never enough to slow down. That sort of tired. In the end all good and a good session (I think) in the bag.

Decided against an evening run, choosing a quiet night in. Old.

Sunday 29/1

Long Easy Run
    -22 Miles @6.55p/m

A bit of a surprising one this morning. I guessed it may have been a bit of slog, given the tiredness in the legs after the previous days session and the general mid-high mileage of the past few weeks. How wrong was I! A most enjoyable run around the city. Again, I was surprised to see a good few fast(ish) miles given the easy nature of the run. I won't go much longer than this. The plan is for a few more 20 milers, a 24 miler and a steady marathon.

Nice to spectate the Raheny 5 and to see so many run well.

WEEK TOTAL: 93.95+ MILES

Another solid week under the belt. I'm very much looking forward to the Trim 10 (and the drop in miles!). The target? I will target 56 minutes. I just hope the body enjoys the dip in mileage coming into the race (70-80 for the week). Should be interesting at least!

All the best tomorrow A, hope it goes well for you.

tang1 wrote:
    All the best tomorrow A, hope it goes well for you.

Cheers Barry, nice running today. One of the best races in the country, no doubt. Thank the big man upstairs that the last km is fast......needed the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Cheers Barry, nice running today. One of the best races in the country, no doubt. Thank the big man upstairs that the last km is fast......needed the help!

Well done man, really hitting the next level now. Well deserved

El Caballo wrote:
    Well done man, really hitting the next level now. Well deserved

Cheers man, really appreciated. It's a rare occurrence that I manage to surprise myself but today was one of those days. I guess you got to enjoy them!

I'm sure I'll write up something tomorrow but went through Mile 1 and thought wtf! Went through Mile 2 and thought seriously, wtf?! All 'too fast' or so I thought. I just went with the manageable effort from there on in and only started to hurt at mile 8. The last 2 miles (10.4x) felt hard but just about ok.

To be honest, I never thought I was capable of a time like 54.32 this year so delighted but very very surprised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Cheers man, really appreciated. It's a rare occurrence that I manage to surprise myself but today was one of those days. I guess you got to enjoy them!

I'm sure I'll write up something tomorrow but went through Mile 1 and thought wtf! Went through Mile 2 and thought seriously, wtf?! All 'too fast' or so I thought. I just went with the manageable effort from there on in and only started to hurt at mile 8. The last 2 miles (10.4x) felt hard but just about ok.

To be honest, I never thought I was capable of a time like 54.32 this year so delighted but very very surprised!

We need to frame this. A race you're actually happy with :D

Well done again. Savage run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done today, great time. Congrats on podium position. Good to chat with you after

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote:
    Well done today, great time. Congrats on podium position. Good to chat with you after

Ah, thanks. Great to see you again. I was a bit of a mess after getting lost on the streets of Trim on my warm down! Glad you enjoyed your training run. Great day for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Well done, hard work paying off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great job and well deserved. We got second team btw!.

ultrapercy wrote:
    Well done, hard work paying off.

Thanks John. Hope all is good and we'll with you.
    Great job and well deserved. We got second team btw!.

Cheers Shane, good to see you yesterday. 2nd? That's brilliant!

Monday 30/1

AM: 5 Miles Easy @7.45p/m (treadmill)
    PM: 6.10 Miles Easy @7.15p/m

Tuesday 31/1

8.25 Miles Easy @7.20p/m

Wednesday 1/2

10.25+ Miles

Session: 2 Miles @LT, 3min rec (not specified), 1 Mile @10km, 6x10sec hill sprints ~full recovery

The target today was: 5.35p/m (LT), 5.25p/m (10k) and well, sprint!

Splits:
    2 Miles @LT: 11.10 (5.35p/m)
    1 Mile @10km: 5.25p/m

I may as well enjoy those splits because very rarely does it work out that I hit each one exactly! After a 3.60 mile trot up to Killbogget I was soon in the throws of the 2 mile segment. I didn't focus at all on the watch so was very happy to see the time given the comfortably hard nature of the running. The 10km segment was certainly more testing, with a killer wind bringing me to a near standstill on each of the four times negotiating the back straight. Yuck. It was more annoying than anything and I could have easily ticked off a good few more reps. The hill sprints are always a bit of fun and today was no exception.

A matter-of-fact type of session.......just one to tick off and get sharp from. Roll on the weekend.

PM: 4 Miles Very Easy @7.42p/m

Thursday 2/2

AM: 5 Miles Easy @8.00p/m (treadmill)
    PM: 4.25 Miles Easy @7.30p/m

Friday 3/2

7.25 Miles Easy @7.10p/m
    -inc. 7x30sec surges

Saturday 4/2

4.50 Miles Easy @7.15p/m
    -inc. drills

Sunday 5/2
    15.35+ Miles

-w/u 2.90 Miles @7.13p/m -inc. drills/strides
    -TRIM 10 MILE (54.32)
    -w/d 2.50 Miles @7.24p/m

WEEK TOTAL: 70+ MILES

TRIM 10 MILE

3rd- 54.32

Now, where did that come from? :)

I ran this race last year, running a credible 57.09 to take 11th position. As it was perhaps my favourite race of 2016 (great course, free coffee!) I penned this race into the schedule from a long way out. With training ticking over in a productive, if not spectacular fashion, I was genuinely excited about lining up and just seeing where I am fitness-wise. With the legs feeling and head feeling race ready I really had no excuses. None! I told myself that a time of 56 minutes would suffice and point towards improvement. In truth, I had no idea and told anyone around me. No sandbagging, just plain honesty. We departed for Trim at 10am. Me the lone Dub in the car full of Wicklow Bandits. It was great to have a bit of company on the journey down. The morning was a cold one but the conditions looked very favourable and a lot better than last years wind swept day. After a few warm-up miles with the lads it was time for the off. I am a more relaxed runner this year, free from the self-imposed pressure I used to place on myself under. The legs felt ready for action after the strides. No excuses today, just hard running.

The opening mile was a quick one. I looked at the watch to see 5.19. That was not part of the plan! I thought 5.35 pace throughout was a realistic target. What to do I asked myself? Wait until Mile 2. Just wait. Mile 2? 5.27. Ah here! The pace honestly felt very comfortable so I said just go with it. Here, Gary pulled away slightly and I overtook a runner. Gary maintained a steady gap for the next few miles, giving me a nice gauge of my own progress. Get to Mile 5 in one piece, I repeated to myself. I was only very slightly concerned of blowing up later in the race. I say only slightly because I felt that good. Today could be a good day. I reached Mile 5, running a 5 Mile PB (27.11). As I wasn't clock watching I didn't know that I ran the previous 5 miles faster than the Simon Run last year but I think that was perhaps a positive thing! I think I overtook a fellow runner around here but I really cannot remember. Gary was still ahead but I never thought I would catch him. I just wanted to hold the gap because I know how strong he is. From here on in I was in countdown mode. The next target was 8 miles. Hold the effort. Just hold.

Strava informs me that I went through the 10km point in 33.53, just 7 seconds off my PB. Again, ignorance was bliss! What felt like a time-trial was now quickly becoming a race. With the man himself just 10-15 seconds ahead and Pauric now on my shoulder it was race time. I am a very independent runner usually, who runs his own race but now it was race mode. I know Pauric as a really strong runner. He is just off a terrific 2.39 in DCM 2016. He must have increased the pace to catch me because I wasn't slowing. We kept each other honest over the next mile or so. I wondered how I would break him. If it came down to the last mile he would beat me but I thought I could grind him down by just running hard. I was very happy to shake him off on one of the small drags. As soon as that happened I began to close in on Gary. I think I leveled with him on the 8th mile. I was working hard but eating up the ground. I have never felt as strong in my whole life. I wanted to share the work load with him but he told me I had 75 metres lead and 3rd place was there. Eh, what? It never dawned on me that he was occupying 3rd position. He told me to push on. I really didn't want to. Maybe I was too afraid of a race to the finish!

So Anthony, how much do you want it? The answer was pretty bad.

I needed a plan. Do I surge to create a gap and hopefully put off the chasing pack or do I do nothing special and simply run bloody hard? Choices! Oh man, I was tired. The legs began to scream at me. The breathing was controlled but the legs were in pieces. I really didn't know if I had it in me to finish the job. I really did question myself. Run hard, just run hard and do nothing stupid. Grind, grind, grind it out. Just the one more climb before the fast last mile. The right calf began to get tight but the form remained respectful. I could no longer hear footsteps but I knew there were very strong runners only seconds behind. How did I get into this situation? I was a tad bit of my depth but I really wanted it. I asked numerous times to spectators what the gap was. Looking back or at the watch was a sign of weakness. Give them nothing! I now started to hurt but just simply focused on the process. The last two miles (5.25, 5.19) were my fastest miles outside the opening mile but they felt so slow. Where is that finish line?!

I turned into the industrial park, soon looking back for the first time. The gap was big enough to enjoy the run for home. Just big enough. I crossed the line in a bit of an emotional wreck. The last few miles hurt and I really did give it my all.

I never once thought a time like 54.32 was possible for me in 2017. Sure, coming 3rd and running a PB was brilliant but the most rewarding thing was the satisfaction of throwing the proverbial kitchen sink at the race and coming out the other end a better person and runner. The satisfaction of doing yourself justice. The satisfaction of making other people somewhat proud of your own achievements. Times and placings come second to that.

A brilliant day.

What is next? Cloonacool 5km on Sunday in Sligo. I think I will run the Bohermeen Half and possibly Enniscorthy 10km. The main thing is the marathon afterall so it's still eyes firmly on the prize. Onwards and upwards!

Class stuff Anthony, you were like the cat that got the cream alright yesterday after the race. Brilliant performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

thats a superb run.
    Sometimes runners like me look at runners like you and we see times and paces and we dismiss it without a thought as its so out of our reach. Its like reading about someone running a 4:30 mile.

So, to read your report about the uncertainty of the quicker pace, the doubts you had, the hurt and the emotion at the end - makes it more real.
    Superb performance (and well articulated).

tang1 wrote:
    Class stuff Anthony, you were like the cat that got the cream alright yesterday after the race. Brilliant performance.

Thanks Barry, nice running yourself. All going very well for you. You have got yourself one of the best races in the country.

So, to read your report about the uncertainty of the quicker pace, the doubts you had, the hurt and the emotion at the end - makes it more real. Superb performance (and well articulated).

Cheers Alan, really appreciate that. I guess it's a testament of not being a slave to the watch. That and the thoughts of some faster runners than me behind meant me running scared!

I guess I look at the all the faster guys out there and say, why not me? I don't mean it to read like I will ever be anywhere near the Olympics or anything!! Haha. I guess I try not to limit myself and just run. The main thing is that I enjoy it and if I get faster, all the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great report and great to get an insight to the thoughts that go through the heads of the guys at the front of the pack. Well done

Advertisement