Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making every mile count

1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That's a superb weeks training.
    I cant handle the low drop on the Streaks - I have a pair, but seldom wear them.

Have you a coach right now or are you putting it together yourself?

Regarding the "lose weight naturally" - comment - is this difficult or are 100mile weeks doing it anyway..............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

MY BAD wrote: »
    I've the same ones. Great shoe but I alway get funny looks when wearing them :D

Yeah, it is a cracking shoe. In saying that, I feel like a right plonker running through the town. I can only imagine the commentary........well deserved, of course! I think they make an ideal marathon shoe but I am still weighing up the other carbon-related options. I've never tried a pair so have no reference points regarding pros and cons and haven't pulled the purchase trigger just yet. I'm still 50/50 on that.

It is of little wonder male pink runners were on sale though!

That's a superb weeks training.
    I cant handle the low drop on the Streaks - I have a pair, but seldom wear them.

Have you a coach right now or are you putting it together yourself?

Regarding the "lose weight naturally" - comment - is this difficult or are 100mile weeks doing it anyway..............

So, there is a group here in Kildare that follows the same plan. I won't go into details online but the group are all targeting Wrexham. I am way behind - targets being 2.15-2.24 - but it is better to be the slowest in the group than the fastest. Well, that's what I tell myself!

Losing weight can be extremely easy. I don't mean that to sound flippant but there is no big secret in losing excess weight. The problem though is that it usually comes at a sacrifice if you love your food and enjoy a beer or whiskey, as I do. Again, it comes down to balance and the ability to keep both energy levels and training levels high. Balance I find is the key thing. I wouldn't train if I couldn't reward myself at some point during the week. I firmly believe in the 90/10 rule: 90% good, 10% bad. I know if I analysed everything I eat I would pack it in.

Trust me - it can be very easy to put of weight, even training at a moderately high training volume (90mpw +) You can't outrun a bad diet - I have tried!

Wrexham Marathon Training

Week 5: 08/02-14/02

Monday

AM 6 Miles Very Easy @ 7’25p/m
    PM 8.10 Miles Easy @ 7’19p/m

Tuesday

10 Miles Easy @7’;12p/m + drills  

So, that was an easy two days of running. It is difficult to write anything about these types of runs. The trick is to stick in the buds and tick off the podcasts and miles. Anyone who has ever trained as a distance runner knows that things soon become a habit. Some habits are good, some bad. I guess 90% of running for me is a good habit......mostly! If you sit back and question things, running soon becomes a somewhat trivial pursuit. I like to think that running takes up, on average, 90-120 minutes of my day. Sure, that is a fair degree of effort and dedication but one that I find incredibly beneficial in a thousand - non-fitness related - ways. 

Wednesday

AM

Session: 2x3 Miles @Half Marathon Pace, 2min jog recovery
    Paces: 5'29, 5'28
    Total: 11 Miles @6'14p/m

I was looking forward to this session. The route was an out and back, using once again the Ballyoulster/Lord's Road. The plan was simple: run 3 miles, jog for 2 minutes, run back to the starting point. It was baltic this morning but I managed to wear way too many layers, feeling very warmed up by the end of the 2 or so mile warm-up'! The first 3-mile segment was very controlled. Again, it is nice to dial into a pace and simply hold it - no fireworks necessary! After an awkward 2 minute jog, I made the return leg. The pace was a small bit on the fast side, using the nice tailwind. The effort levels only really increased when the average rep pace dropped to 5'31. I wanted to finish slightly faster than the first 3-mile stint so increased the effort a notch. This was all very manageable and comfortable.

I always like to think that if some told me to run another 2 miles at the same pace I could manage it. At this stage of training, fitness is developing and progressing nicely. I train at 90%, choosing consistency and mileage over all else. It is nice to bury yourself at the odd time but keeping it on the safe side is everything at the moment.

I was quite happy with the effort and pace this morning. 6 miles at half marathon pace is no joke. While a 1.12 flat pace is probably on the ambitious side of things at the moment, it will be interesting to see where I am in a few weeks!

PM

5 Miles Recovery @7’;35p/m

Thursday  

AM 6 Miles Very Easy @ 7’28p/m
    PM 8 Miles Easy @ 7’07p/m  

Friday    

10.50 Miles Easy @ 7’14p/m + drills

Saturday  

AM

Session: 18 Miles inc. 6x(2k @Marathon Pace, 1k @MP +30sec)
    Pace: 5'38, 6'06, 5'37, 5'58, 5'40, 6'02, 5'41, 6'03, 5'36, 5'55
    Total: 18.50 Miles @6'01p/m

This turned out to be a very solid morning training - a good old fashioned Canova session.

Like always, it took me an age to leave the house in the morning. Between tying my shoelaces 10 times and the Garmin not charging, I was way behind myself. I think it is important to have a prescribed 'start-time' for sessions. This gives helps you prepare as would a non-negotiable race start time. A total fail on my part! I need to be more disciplined. Now is the time to iron out any issues, for example, fuelling, hydration, etc. 

Surprisingly, I struggling on the opening rep with neither the body nor running form wanting to cooperate. I soon settled and knew this session would not pose any real exacting test - neither should it. The steady (MP +30sec) were all too fast but I find it a lot harder to slow down to that extend and then to 'speed' up. I find this makes the MP sections harder efforts relatively, not easier. For the first time in years, I had someone on course with a drink and gel. I haven't taken fuel onboard during a run in a very long time! The drink was there but the gel wasn't. No big deal - just another 4 or so miles to tick off. The last few miles were at an unplanned steady effort (6'0x) as I was beginning to get so cold. This was all very comfortable. It was nice to see 16kmph flash up as I passed one of the solar-paneled traffic speed warnings!

PM

I usually do a shakeout run on Saturday's but I chose to get some yoga and strength training in over pointless miles. The shakeout does really help the legs the next day but in the absence of a long run or quality run the following day, I decided not to. I guess it is even more important to know when not to run as it is when to.

Sunday

14.25 Miles Easy @6’;58p/m

Total: 97+ Miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Like always, it took me an age to leave the house in the morning. Between tying my shoelaces 10 times and the Garmin not charging, I was way behind myself. I think it is important to have a prescribed 'start-time' for sessions. This gives helps you prepare as would a non-negotiable race start time. A total fail on my part! I need to be more disciplined.

I could go back to your log 5 years ago and find something similar.

You'll still be jumping over the barrier 30 secs prior to Wexham start!

I could go back to your log 5 years ago and find something similar.

You'll still be jumping over the barrier 30 secs prior to Wexham start!

Haha......some things never change! If I do end up in Wrexham in April, it will be such a small miracle that I won't allow myself to f it up by doing something very 'on brand'!!

Wrexham Marathon Training

Week 6: 15/02-21/02

Monday

AM 6 Miles Very Easy @ 7’20p/m
    PM 8 Miles Very Easy @ 7’23p/m

Tuesday

10 Miles Easy @7’;29p/m + drills  

I made a real effort to slow things down today. I scribbled 7'40-7'45 on my hand, as an average pace guide. I missed that pace guide but kept it very easy. I did not feel that fatigued, more of a case of trying to freshen up before the next days' activities. 

Wednesday

AM

Planned Session: 20x(400m @5k, 60sec recovery)
    Actual: 20x(1min on, 1min off)
    Paces: 5'0x - 4'5x
    Total: 16 Miles @6'44p/m

It would be easy to gloss over today. I won't.

I just was not myself today. The concept of targeting a marathon is to give a tangible goal and target to help motivate me. I think this is especially important for me given the current 'climate'. I know some may think that even thinking about heading abroad is somewhat a selfish pursuit. While this analysis is one I can not completely disagree with, it will only happen if it happens. In other words - I know full well the limited chances of it happening. That will not stop me from training hard though. Like all, I have peaks and throughs regarding ongoing restrictions. This usually manifests itself in the form of low motivation. I am very lucky in most ways but like so many, things become definitely frustrating and challenging at times.  I try to keep things as positive and relaxed as possible but I do think it is important to give yourself a break at times - allow yourself to not be 100%

After an 8 hour sleep, I woke up just before 7.00 to have something small to eat before the session at 9.30. I do all my easy runs in the morning on empty but feel the benefit of a light breakfast on the session and long run days. At 9.30 I did not head out. In fact, I only got out the door post 3pm - that says it all! I was exhausted throughout the day, deciding to hold out until I felt a bit better. As the day materialised, I began to recognise that I was not fatigued from training or from general tiredness but from being mentally drained. This manifested itself in terms of body fatigue and muscle soreness. A first for me!

I reluctantly diluted the session from 20x400m to 20x1min - still a hard effort for us slow-twitch merchants! The day was bright and spring-like but as long as I left my house the heavens opened. FFS. After a 3-mile warm-up, I was into the session, heading out on the canal to Ardclough. Yes, the session was a tough outing but very enjoyable. It is great to have a sport like running to blow off the cobwebs and free the mind.

I promised myself to do 10-12 miles and be happy. I ended up finishing up after 16 miles, with a hard session completed. Sometimes it is important to recognise the small wins and move on. Happy.

Advertisement