Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making every mile count

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Saturday 19/3
    16.20+ Miles

AM

After only fully deciding the previous night at work, the choice was made to head down to Arklow and give the 10km a bash. So, after arriving home at 3am I managed got a few hours sleep and headed down with the OH (running the 5km). The plan was to tempo run this, hopefully hitting 5.40p/m average. I wasn't too concerned if the pace was a tad slower. A day for effort over time, especially in a highish mileage weekend after Bohermeen.

The legs felt surprisingly sprightly during the warm-up and the early morning tiredness dissipated. After a quick chat with the timing organiser (no local knowledge but a very nice guy) and a local (he knew these roads luckily!) it was time for the off. I started a few rows back to ease myself into the race. The local gave me a very few handy tips in hindsight. The first 6km were without doubt the hardest miles I have every ran in any 5k/10k race, with the first few miles particularly cruel. The local called this section 'a drag'. Ye have to laugh! A drag in the car perhaps! :) Perfect for a tempo I convinced myself. Adding fuel to the argument that I don't do tapers well, the legs felt pretty fantastic and I was enjoying the lonely voyage around the rural roads of Wicklow.

I had a quick look at the watch around 4 miles in to see an average of 5.44p/m. That's bloody good after that challenging climb into the headwind. I'll take that. Here was were I made the decision to up the effort and kick for home. 2.25 miles to go for an unexpected PB. The terrain was falling as was the average pace. By mile 5 it was dropped to 5.38 and I was cruising at 5.1x pace. With loads left in the tank I kicked again. And again. The average was now 5.36p/m. Keep it going. HAMMER TIME!

Here was when it dawned on me. I knew from halfway through mile 5 that the course was going to be short. From here, with the town and finish was almost in sight, I held the effort and leveled it off. A shade disappointed to be honest but still enjoying every stride.

I crossed the line disappointed but content. Happy that I got in a really good session but pretty disappointed that a solid 34:3x minute time wasn't there today, especially on what was a pretty brutal course profile.

Hopefully this 'performance' will prove to be a nod and wink to the possible times to come over the summer. If nothing else it was a 6 mile PB!

A very pleasant morning was had. I hope the Wicklow Hospice raised a considerable amount of money for what is a great cause.

6 Miles@5.36p/m in 33:38

-w/u 1.10 Miles @7.17p/m in 8.05p/m
    -w/d 3.10 Miles @7.04p/m in 22:00

PM

6 Miles Very Easy @8.00p/m (treadmill)

Sunday 20/3

Long Easy Run
    -24.50 Miles @6.56p/m in 2.49:49

An enjoyable run with some clubmates. I won't miss these early morning long easy runs though! Fantastic to be done early.

WEEK TOTAL: Recovered well from Bohermeen, one good session, a 6 mile PB and a decent long run in a 104.55+ mile week.

Monday 21/3
    13 Miles

AM

7.50 Miles @7.13p/m in 54:09

PM

5.50 Miles Easy @7.20p/m (treadmilll)
    -inc. S&C Session

Tuesday 22/3

9 Miles Easy @7.14p/m in 1.05:08

Wednesday 23/3

Magness Session (amended): 3x5miles @MP, .5 Mile (800m) Steady Recovery

20.25 Miles @6.17p/m in 2.06:46

Splits:

-5 MP in 30:05 (6.01)
    Recovery: .5 @6.31p/m
    -5 MP in 29:56 (5.59)
    Recovery: .5 @6.26p/m
    -5 MP in 29:37 (5.56)
    Recovery: .5 @6.20p/m

The planned called for 4x3 Miles @MP, 800m steady recovery but it was recommended to do 5 mile reps instead. I liked that idea so I went with it. On paper a hard session but definitely a good indicator of form. I find Shanganagh Park to be the perfect place for these types of sessions, with a 1.25 mile outer loop and a 800m inner loop on a flat route (if you don't mind lap running of course).

After a short enough warm-up it was time for the off. This was to be my peak marathon training session so full concentration needed. The opening few miles were a shade quick but soon I found the groove. It felt fast but manageable. The remainder of the session went well and somewhat uneventful. I stopped clock watching so I was somewhat surprised to see the quickening splits. That was definitely not my intention!

All in, 15 miles at 6 minute pace. A solid session. Can I hold that for 26 miles? Perhaps not. I guess you never know though :).

On paper there are very few long runs in the Competition Period of his marathon plan. When you delve a bit deeper though you see that a lot of the sessions come to 18+ miles. Importantly, his session this morning was a lot more enjoyable than 20 odd miles easy.

I am rapidly approaching the dreaded taper. I reached peak mileage last week so this week will see a drop in miles. I intend to do a 10 miler somewhere on Easter Monday. That will replace the planned 16 mile progression session. Magness wants the run to progress to 'just faster than MP' so I may up the pace for the last two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Super running Anthony. A real confidence booster heading into the last two weeks. I hope you take a lot from it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Did you go for chicken skewers or are you more of a falafel man? Spicy potatoes or rice? Or half and half?

Super running Anthony. A real confidence booster heading into the last two weeks. I hope you take a lot from it!

Thanks Gary, good call with that session. Ye fecker put it in my head so had to do it!
    Killerz wrote:
    Did you go for chicken skewers or are you more of a falafel man? Spicy potatoes or rice? Or half and half?

Hmmmmmm.........was I spotted today?! Spicy potatoes all the way. No brainer! God I love that place (I really hope we are talking about the same thing! Haha)....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Was considering that Arklow 10k as a tuneup - glad I changed my mind. Was put off by the popupraces.ie monicker. Nice run though. 10 miler in Raheny Monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Murph_D wrote: »
    Was considering that Arklow 10k as a tuneup - glad I changed my mind. Was put off by the popupraces.ie monicker. Nice run though. 10 miler in Raheny Monday?
    Popupraces just time races and org numbers and results , havent hear any negative comments(yet) about that aspect..kildare is where its at for easter monday 10milers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

UM1 wrote: »
    Popupraces just time races and org numbers and results , havent hear any negative comments(yet) about that aspect..kildare is where its at for easter monday 10milers :)

Edenderry is in Offaly!

Murph_D wrote:

Asides from the shortness it was a really good morning (now I did win an easter egg, bottle of wine, box of chocolates and picnic cooler so that may have helped! I actually gave them all away.....stupid marathon training!)

I'll be heading to Edenderry. Raheny looks good but I want to avoid any temptation to overcook it (i.e try beat people I know).
    UM1 wrote:
    Popupraces just time races and org numbers and results , havent hear any negative comments(yet) about that aspect..kildare is where its at for easter monday 10milers

Yeah, he was a very nice fella. The first thing he said is was it short lol. Easily fixed for next time and nothing to do with popupraces.
    tang1 wrote:
    Edenderry is in Offaly!

The good old midlands! Luckily I will be driving back from the West so suits perfectly.

I usually put the foot down and try to avoid stopping.....haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

tang1 wrote: »
    Edenderry is in Offaly!
    Mile 9 just steps into lillywhite territory :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Hmmmmmm.........was I spotted today?! Spicy potatoes all the way. No brainer! God I love that place (I really hope we are talking about the same thing! Haha)....

Yes I think we are! Great place!

Thursday 24/3
    12.25 Miles

AM

6 Miles Recovery @8.00p/m in 48:00 (treadmill)
    -inc. S&C Session

PM

6.25 Miles Easy @7.16p/m in 46:30

Friday 25/3
    13.30+ Miles

AM

9.30 Miles @6.55p/m in 1.04:29

Magness Session: 8x(200m 5k-3k, 200m jog rec)

Splits: 40 seconds down to 36 seconds

An odd type of session this morning. Perhaps calling it a 'mini-session' would be more appropriate. A pre-breakfast jog to the cinder track to be greeted by the friendly elderly cyclist who does his dog walking by circling the track many many times. I don't mind it at all though. In fact he can prove to be a very helpful target at times :rolleyes:. The legs never got going this morning. I missed my food and even more importantly, my vital caffeine kick.

I'm still at a bit of a loss about this mini-session. The reason is obviously about leg turnover, as it's essentially a stride session, but for the first time I was left unconvinced by a session.

PM

37 Minutes Easy (treadmill)
    -4+ Miles (could have been anything really!)

Hilariously awful treadmill in the the Claremorris Hotel we were staying at tonight. The paces were way off. Usually most machines come to a gradual slow down after completing the preset duration. This thing had other ideas. It came to a shuddering full-stop that nearly had me on the floor. Give me the roads anyday........

Saturday 26/3

Long Easy Run
    -20 Miles @7.00p/m in 2.20:13

Horrific weather today. Just horrific. How I missed the west :). Setting out I planned to do two hours, 2 minutes into the run I said just do 8 miles (running into a ridiculous headwind), eventually did 20 miles. Why? I have little idea. Maybe I like round numbers? Probably just a case of stubbornness and knowing this will be my longest training run for quite some time.

I probably should have stuck to 16-18.......

Sunday 27/3

5.10 Miles Easy @7.14p/m 37:05

WEEK TOTAL: 92.90+ MILES

Monday 28/3
    13.30+ Miles

Edenderry 10 Mile

7th in 59:59 *I am down wrong in the results

The idea today was to run at marathon pace and to pick it up for the last two miles. This was to replace the 16 Mile Hilly Progressive Run (easy to just faster than MP). I was also pretty keen to 'get out' and pin a number on before next week. The location also suited as I was driving back from the wet and windy west. The weather looked good so I was looking forward to it. After a quick two mile warm-up it was time for the off. They say you learn from your mistakes. In that case I am an idiot! Racers on and extra layers off and the time? 11.55. 5 minutes before throw-in. Grand I thought. What I did not factor in was the position of the startline relative to registration. I needed to drop a low 6 minute uphill mile (1.3 miles) to get there late but luckily for me, just in time for the delayed start.

The average pace hovered around 6.04 for the first 6 miles. In truth, it was a fair bit harder than I would have liked. The headwind was tough and the legs heavy. They felt strong but had no zip. The course to this point was nice and scenic, containing few hills (although one sharp hill over the bridge) but generally fair. I had passed out one or two runners but asides from that it was a solo run, with the leaders nowhere to be seen. I really wasn't relishing the prospect of upping the effort but that I did. I managed to dip under the hour mark, working a bit too hard to do so.

I am probably where I should be heading into taper. The legs felt tired but strong. They can definitely do with a rest!

-w/u 3.30 Miles @7.01p/m in 23:10 ;)

Was wondering had you changed your surname alright till I seen PM's pictures.

tang1 wrote: »
    Was wondering had you changed your surname alright till I seen PM's pictures.

I didn't get married over the weekend........don't worry :)

Two easy days after the session.........

Tuesday 29/3
    10.30+ Miles

AM

5 Miles Easy @7.50p/m (treadmill)

PM

5.30+ Miles Easy approx. @7.06p/m (watch issues)

Wednesday 30/3
    9.40 Miles

AM

5.20 Miles Easy @7.20p/m in 38:33

PM

4.20 Miles Easy @7.02p/m in 29:54

With little to gain I passed on the prescribed 4 miles at steady pace, given the long effort on Monday. A wise choice me thinks.

Time to do a session.......

Thursday 31/3

9.10 Miles

Session: 7 Miles @MP, last minute of each mile surge to LT

7 Miles @5.54p/m in 41:18

An interesting session this morning. The plan was to run from Blackrock Dart Station and turn back just after Sean Moore Park. The initial pace hovered around the 5.48 a mile mark, which I took to be a good sign given how easy it felt. I dialed back the effort slightly before hitting the first one minute surge. At this stage of the plan running just over 6 minute pace doesn't feel particularly taxing. Maybe I should rephrase that. Running at 6 minute mile pace for 7 miles doesn't feel particularly taxing! The LT sections helped the legs move faster than 'MP' without really stretching the effort levels.

Another easy day.........

Friday 1/4

5 Miles Easy @7.54p/m (treadmill)

Last proper session.........

Saturday 2/4

8.30+ Miles

Session: 6 Miles @MP

6 Miles @5.58p/m 35:51

I got a bit carried away today with the pace a bit hot throughout. I once again hit the coast, turning back at Sean Moore Park. The pace felt very controlled and never pushed. A bit more discipline is needed come race day but the pace felt just right this afternoon. I will not be going out at this pace on the 10th.

Best tick off the last longish run.......

Sunday 3/4

Medium Long Run
    -13 Miles @7.01p/m in 1.31:21

Really enjoyable long run with with the club this morning. Nice to get one out of the way by 10.30am. All good with little to report.

WEEK TOTAL: 68.40+ MILES

Like all runners during taper, thoughts never veer too far away from race day. This time does feel a bit different though. Maybe it's a bit of experience or perhaps it's the build up, but I do feel physical and mentally in a decent place this time around. Sure, not everything has gone to plan and some sessions and races could have be executed better but there's little I can do about that now.

Much like the final days before the Leaving Certificate, I have resigned myself to the belief that 'whatever happens, happens'. I have put myself in an ok position coming into the last few days so 'whatever happens, happens' :).

Last night involved reading about tapering and muscle tensioning. A very interesting read and perhaps something I should have delved into a few weeks back! That was my Saturday night. Mad or what.

Best of luck next Sunday, I can't really offer a runner of your standard any advice but leave it all out there next week and regret nothing, your in great shape and should be confident. Hopefully see you in Murphys for a pint after.

Best of luck DR for next week, from the outside it looks like you are well set. As a long time reader please do yourself a favour and make sure you have the Logistics of getting to the start and ready to go sorted.

Too many of your race reports start with issues of a dash to the start line or being too far back or stuff like that. Don't put your goal race at jeopardy because of this, for your own sake.

Have a great race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck on Sunday, have a great race. Looking forward to drinks after where i get to meet everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Exactly wrote: »
    Best of luck DR for next week, from the outside it looks like you are well set. As a long time reader please do yourself a favour and make sure you have the Logistics of getting to the start and ready to go sorted.

Too many of your race reports start with issues of a dash to the start line or being too far back or stuff like that. Don't put your goal race at jeopardy because of this, for your own sake.

Have a great race.

+1 this is really good advice, I'm guilty of the above and just about got away with it in Frankfurt last year. Get there early and know your route to the coral entry point. Being relaxed and focussed come gun time will give you every chance of running the race you know you can. Seriously good training block, very impressive. I've been following your training closely and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't pull off a cracking result and a big PB. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck on Sunday DR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I've only seen this log just now. What's the target race, DR?

And, 6 min miles? Savage stuff. What's the nominal goal, under-sub 2.40?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ah, It's Rotterdam this weekend, isn't it?

Very best of luck, sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Very best of luck Anto. I'm liking the weather forecast so hopefully you'll get a proper shot at it this time. Super training done this cycle. Keep it chilled, enjoy the race and the results will sort themselves out. Hoping it's a great one. Keep an eye out for Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Best of luck the weekend DR, you're in great shape - looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck, I predict a jaw dropping result!

Thanks all, very much appreciated.

Thankfully my hotel is a mere 500m stroll to the startline. Unfortunately this actually increases the probability of a late arrival knowing me :p. Thank you for the timely reminder. Repeat after me.....I will not line up in the 10k pen 5 minutes before the start. Once was enough!

I will be starting out conservatively. I simply want a good performance. I have no target time, no splits, no pace band. Nothing. If I have the performance I want on the day, I will take whatever time comes my way.

Monday 4/4
    8 Miles

AM

5 Miles Very Easy @8.00p/m (treadmill)

PM

3 Miles @7.14p/m in 21:44

Tuesday 5/4

6 Miles Easy @7.30p/m (treadmill)
    -inc. 5x30sec surges

Wednesday 6/4

6 Miles Very Easy @7.47p/m in 46:50

Thursday 7/4

5 Miles Easy @7.01p/m in 35:09
    -inc. 5 minutes at MP

With only two jogs to go before Sunday it's all systems go. The legs have felt ok all week, even if a small niggle in my calf reared it's head. It should hopefully be nothing come Sunday but it's unusual in that it is in area that has never given me trouble in the past. I feel in a good place and the race cannot come quick enough. Sunday is after all just another race, just another run. It is no different to a target 5/10k etc. The only difference is you cannot reload and race again in the manner in which you can over the shorter distances. Sure, the result does last longer in the memory, be it a good or bad result but I prefer to view it in the bigger picture. The past few weeks have brought me on leaps and bounds. I am in a completely different place compared to even 6 months ago. The result on Sunday won't change any of that. I have put myself in a decent position so come what may!

Best of luck to all! I'll be in Paddy Murphy's so I hope to see a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

"Much like the final days before the Leaving Certificate, I have resigned myself to the belief that 'whatever happens, happens"

And how did the leaving cert go... :)

All the best A

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Best of luck out there DR, may you get what you deserve...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck on Sunday Anto.
    Super block of training. Fingers crossed you get the result it deserves.

Advertisement