Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making every mile count

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

blockic wrote: »
    Looking forward to a face off sometime! :)

Just say when and where :)

Plan is do very few races between here and April but after that two months of racing (within reason!) Can't wait.

Thursday 16/01
    10.60 Miles
    -inc. 8 Miles @6.25p/m Steady

Enjoyable to run this with a strong runner. Toughish last 3 miles as it was all uphill but the effort used on this run was spot on - comfortable hard.

Friday 17/01
    9.10 Miles Easy @7.32 in 1.08:32

This is my third marathon training cycle and the usual feeling of feeling tired but strong has given me added confidence this week. Thoughts on this run turned to next week and particularly the Raheny 5 on the Sunday. Even with a consistent block of 60 to 80 mile weeks under the belt I still have no idea how the form is. It's difficult to plan for a race and not let it impact on your marathon training but at this stage a race is just what I need. My last race, a 10k on Stephen's Day, felt fairly comfortable at 6.00p/m so I am looking at going a good bit faster than this.

Saturday 18/01
    17.93 Miles LSR @7.28 in 2.14:00

Really should have gone the extra .07 and make it a round 18! Very cold for this one. Even with gloves my hands were frozen. You have to wonder why the Asics DS Racer has several holes in the sole. First puddle=soaked! Think I have to reevaluate the benefit of the long run and maybe up the pace or introduce a few quicker miles. I could have easily done another hour at this pace.

Friday 19/01
    8.50 Miles Easy @7.19 in 1.02:15

With a late night and a hangover this run could have gone one of two ways :) Luckily it went without any fuss and I struggled to keep the pace down.

WEEK TOTAL: 75.53+ MILES

Another solid week. The weeks are really flying by. With just under 12 weeks to go I am happy with how things are progressing. The race on Sunday should be a good indicator of form.

Monday 20/01
    9+ Miles

-4.30 Miles Warm-Up @7.19 in 31:29
    -10x30 second hill repeats at 3k pace effort (c.5.10p/m)
    -4.30 Miles Warm-Down @7.20 in 31:24

Almost the exact same session as last week. I am getting stronger every week but progressively more tired if that makes any sense! Recoveries were slightly shorter this time around.

Tuesday 21/01
    10.6+ Miles

AM

4.23 Miles Very Easy @7.40p/m in 32:24

Very easy just to stretch the legs.

PM

Session

-2 Mile Warm-Up
    -4x1km Repeats on Track with 200m Recovery
    1.3:25
    2.3:26
    3.3:24
    4.3:25
    -2 Mile Warm-Down

I decided to only do 4 with a race looming on the horizon. Felt tough but manageable. Really looking toward to doing more of these and building up to 8 reps at a consistent pace.

Wednesday 22/01
    110 Minute Easy Long Run
    -15.08 Miles @7.19 in 1.50:25

As mentioned above, I am at a stage of being tired but feeling strong. I needed to get some decent miles under the belt and today would be my only real opportunity of the week to do a longish run.

The more I run the less I know. I think things are heading in the right direction but I really do not know. My head is stuck into the training to a point that I cannot see the woods for the trees :) (if that makes any sense!) Maybe the 5 mile on Sunday will give me a decent indication. My coach advised me to barely race before the marathon and now I can see why. They can really interfere with the training if not approached correctly.

Thursday 23/01
    8.38 Miles @7.26 in 1.02:16
    -inc. 3x30second strides

Friday 24/01
    7.10 Miles @7.20 in 52:04

Saturday 25/01
    3.2+ Miles Easy

Nothing much to say about these runs. I briefly toyed with the idea of keeping the mileage high heading into Sunday (with a very easy day on Saturday) but then what would be the point in racing if tired? In a way I admitted defeat and eased back on the training. I hope it's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

looking forward to see what damage you can do on Sunday - those sessions will pay off big time.

looking forward to see what damage you can do on Sunday - those sessions will pay off big time.

28:45 for me today. Really unsure what to make of the performance. Hope the 10 mile went well and a thanks for the support. Report to follow.....(after a beer....:))

Sunday 26/01
    14.90+ Miles

AXA Raheny 5
    1+ Mile Warm-Up

CHIP TIME: 28:44 (5.45p/m)

With basically a days rest I woke up fresh for a later than usual 3pm start time. Unusually, I was very anxious in anticipation during the morning. This in hindsight may have had something to do with the late start. Too much time to ponder.

The plan was simple. I scribbled (old school style) the miles split (5.45p/m) to finish in 28:45 on my arm and off I went to Raheny. I believed myself to be in 35:xx 10km shape heading into the race so I thought this was the time to be targeted.

Arriving early I collected my number and headed off for coffee. The late starts definitely suit me! I was determined to warm-up properly as it was a cold day. I felt great during the morning so no excuses. With very few races between here and Rotterdam I knew I had to hit this race from the off. Anything less than 29 minutes would have really knocked my confidence (this probably added to the pre-race anxiousness). All roads lead to the marathon. Every race is a mere stepping stone to a sub 2.50 in April. Preparation is key. The warm-up was very deliberate, changing only into the racers and singlet just before the off.

I lined myself 8 rows or so from the back and in a good position (or so I thought). Lesson learnt. This led to a slow start, meandering around runners that really should know better. Running caters for all and it's inclusivity is one of it's appealing factors but if people do read this, please don't line-up with the elite athletes if your goal is to run 8 minute miles. Anyway, I settled into a nice rhythm and settled behind a Raheny runner heading along the Howth Road and into a considerable headwind. The miles flew by and the second mile was hit in 11:30 (bang on according to the scribble on my hand :)). I gained some time between between the 2nd and 3rd mile, passing a good few runners. I know the area well so the hill at Mile 4 was anticipated and I motored up it. What was very noticable heading towards the finish was my lack of a 'kick'. I wasn't tiring or slowing but I seemed unable to finish strong and fast, losing a place or two in the finishing straight.

Overall, I am happy. 28:44 is a good indication of my form and represents the steady, if unremarkable, progress made over the winter months.

The target now is to make a serious attempt at a sub 17 minute 5K on the 16th next month. A tall order. A very tall order. Can I do it? Yes. Would I back myself in PaddyPower? Hmmm, like backing Mayo for the All-Ireland, maybe not!

A lot of positives today. Still not happy though.....:)

Positives: Endurance, Pre-Race Preparation
    Negatives: Speed, An obvious lack of Threshold Training

Brilliantly organised race today. Great to talk to everyone after (including the coach who seemed happy).

Instead of getting two buses to Rathgar, I decided to run it soon after the race finished.

8.90 Miles Easy @7.27p/m in 1.06:20

WEEK TOTAL: 68.26+ MILES

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fowler1

Ran Dungarvan Ten yesterday in 59 flat , very happy with that form coming out of x mas.Sets me up well for spring races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Did you run all the way to Rathgar carrying the giant goody bag ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Hi DR, just stumbled upon your log, great reading and superb run in Raheny yesterday, congrats.

You're heading for Rotterdam in April I take it (you mentioned Paris in the original post, has the plan changed?). I'm signed up for that also and targeting a 2:49 having last run a 2:54 last March in Barcelona. The only problem is I headed off travelling for the next 9 months ;) I'm back over a month now and into the 3rd week of a 12 week plan, I'm not near your level yet, you've being putting in some seriously impressive sessions and milage but I have confidence that I'll reach the required level of fitness by April, a tall order but I'll be doing my best. I'll be using a few races over the next few weeks as indicators but worst come to worst I'll be happy with a PB on the day.

I'll be following this thread with great interest now, I started a blog on my own journey you can find here and any advice is welcome!

Just a quick Q while I'm here, on your long runs you seem to be hovering around the 7:30 min/mile mark, it's similar to what I want to get to but not there yet, do you plan on integrating MP miles into these long runs?

I noticed also you mentioned you're using the Asics DS racers, how do you find these for the longer stuff? I bought a pair over Christmas and really like the feel and was surprised how nice they felt over the longer stuff.

Anyway enough rambling, fair play with the hard training, it's really given me a mental kick up the arse that I need to put the foot down over the next few weeks. Keep up the good work, you're right on track for a sub 2:50.

fowler1 wrote: »
    Ran Dungarvan Ten yesterday in 59 flat , very happy with that form coming out of x mas.Sets me up well for spring races.

Fantastic result. Heard the conditions were from ideal so there is probably plenty more there. Sets you set very nicely for the the year. Great time .

statss wrote: »
    Did you run all the way to Rathgar carrying the giant goody bag ?!

Haha! I was lucky to have a very kind helper to carry it back for me :) Probably shouldn't have run back but these things must be done sometimes....! The goodie bag was excellent.

jebuz wrote: »
    Hi DR, just stumbled upon your log, great reading and superb run in Raheny yesterday, congrats.

You're heading for Rotterdam in April I take it (you mentioned Paris in the original post, has the plan changed?). I'm signed up for that also and targeting a 2:49 having last run a 2:54 last March in Barcelona. The only problem is I headed off travelling for the next 9 months ;) I'm back over a month now and into the 3rd week of a 12 week plan, I'm not near your level yet, you've being putting in some seriously impressive sessions and milage but I have confidence that I'll reach the required level of fitness by April, a tall order but I'll be doing my best. I'll be using a few races over the next few weeks as indicators but worst come to worst I'll be happy with a PB on the day.

I'll be following this thread with great interest now, I started a blog on my own journey you can find here and any advice is welcome!

Just a quick Q while I'm here, on your long runs you seem to be hovering around the 7:30 min/mile mark, it's similar to what I want to get to but not there yet, do you plan on integrating MP miles into these long runs?

I noticed also you mentioned you're using the Asics DS racers, how do you find these for the longer stuff? I bought a pair over Christmas and really like the feel and was surprised how nice they felt over the longer stuff.

Anyway enough rambling, fair play with the hard training, it's really given me a mental kick up the arse that I need to put the foot down over the next few weeks. Keep up the good work, you're right on track for a sub 2:50.

Hey, thanks for the message. Yeah, it's Rotterdam. Paris didn't fit into my work schedule fortunately. Thanks for the link. I look forward to reading it later. You are coming off a very solid marathon time (faster than mine!) so you have a great base for an attempt at a 2.49 so with the right training you are in with a great shot.

Regarding the long run. I do plan to incorporate some progression toward the end of the run toward nearing the marathon. For example, 12 miles Easy @7.30p/m and then 6@MP (6.25-30p/m). My coach is a fan of the long slow run being exactly that, slow. People run the long run much slower and some much faster. I suppose it's whatever works for you.

I really like the DS Racer. I have a few pairs on rotation now. I find them great on the longer stuff personally. They are light enough with some cushioning. I find it very hard now to run in anything heavier. I do use very heavy runners for recovery runs, this is part psychological and part the fact they actually do slow me down :) The only problem is I find are the stupid holes in the sole. If it is a wet day your feet will get soaked. I don't find this a problem as I wear excellent Injinji socks but I could see how this could be a problem to some, especially over the longer runs (blisters etc). I now use the DS Racers for almost all training runs. I use Cloudracers for racing. Not necessary and lighter but they work for me.

Best of luck with the training. Looking forward to reading the blog later and maybe giving some opinions.

Monday 28/01
    10.65 Miles Easy @7.14 in 1.17:02

A shade fast considering the race on Sunday but the legs felt great so I went with it. A steady increase in the mileage is needed this week and next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Haha! I was lucky to have a very kind helper to carry it back for me :) Probably shouldn't have run back but these things must be done sometimes....! The goodie bag was excellent.

haha, I was wondering as I live on the Rathgar Road, no way in hell would I have run back myself with that monster bag.

The wind on Clontarf Strand was enough for me never mind that huge bag! The chocolate was my reward :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

statss wrote: »
    haha, I was wondering as I live on the Rathgar Road, no way in hell would I have run back myself with that monster bag.

I drove home and I can tell you in the space of the car journey that bag got an awful lot lighter :D

Tuesday 28/01
    10.4 Miles Various

-4 Mile Warm-Up
    -5x800m (no watch, just concentrating on 5k effort)
    -4 Mile Warm-Down

Wednesday 29/01

AM

8 Miles (with coach)
    -inc. 8x40 second sharp hill repeats with short recovery

I quite dislike the treadmill but for hill sessions it can, in my opinion, work very well.

PM

7.10 Miles Very Easy @7.43p/m in 54:48

With 10 weeks to the marathon, training is now heading towards the really important sessions and weeks. It was really good to have some advice yesterday that put my questions/doubts to rest. An outside voice can be brilliant at times. What was discussed included my Tempo Runs or lack of them. I have to balance the week better in order that I am fresh (well as you can be in a marathon training cycle :)) for the tempo run.

• Advertisement

They look like decent sessions there DR, how fresh did you feel on Wed morning doing hills after doing 800's the day before? tough going but looks like you recover well and getting plenty of slow running done.

I don't know if you saw my schedule that my coach did out but I think there's a big gap there with regards to recoveries (he's known as a bit of an animal) so I'm having to factor them in myself and listening to my body.

Know what you mean about the DS racers and the bloody holes in the bottom, splash through a puddle and you're done for, gravel is also a nightmare.

They look like decent sessions there DR, how fresh did you feel on Wed morning doing hills after doing 800's the day before? tough going but looks like you recover well and getting plenty of slow running done.

I don't know if you saw my schedule that my coach did out but I think there's a big gap there with regards to recoveries (he's known as a bit of an animal) so I'm having to factor them in myself and listening to my body.

Know what you mean about the DS racers and the bloody holes in the bottom, splash through a puddle and you're done for, gravel is also a nightmare.

Hey. I felt surprisingly good on Wednesday morning. The session the previous night ended at half eight so I had a decent 13hr recovery. Hill sessions are my favourite at the moment and with each hill being 40 seconds the the pain is only temporary! I really enjoyed the track session and concentrated on effort only, not time, knowing I had hills in the morning. I was happy to get 5 done at just below 5k pace. I guess it's all about pacing yourself.

I am still learning myself regarding recovery/v. easy runs but they are vital in aiding recovery and being able to knock out a session the next day etc.

I noticed one or two things about your plan. It looks great first and foremost. I am always interested to see why people plan a 'rest' day. Leaving aside that maybe your busy that day and know you won't have the time to run etc, I wonder whether it's better to listen to your body rather than plan a day of rest. To help recovery you could split a run eg. split a 10 mile run into two 5 milers. Personally, splitting the odd steady or easy run really helps.

Some of your weekend runs look like tough ones e.g two 20 mile runs back to back on the Sat and Sun of week 8 and 9. That is hard going. Every plan is different but on a quick look it looks well planned. My plan isn't as set as yours and has a degree on flexibility. The key for me is to peak on the 13th of April, not in training or a preparatory race!

Do you have any races planned?

Yeah fair point on the recoveries, listening to your body makes the most sense but then you also run the risk of "feeling good" too much when your body may be crying out for a recovery, you may find you get too focussed on your goals to see it so I suppose there's an element of discipline to it also.

My plan is more of a guide, I've been told to tone it down and tweak where necessary and that's exactly how I'm approaching it especially for the first few weeks but I have trust in it and I think I'll reap the rewards by continuing to listen to the feedback from my body but working hard when I know I can.

I have been toying with the idea of splitting the easy/steady days into an AM/PM session, in the past I've always enjoyed those and felt the benefits so yeah when I'm fully settled into the training I'll be discussing that with the big man.

Can't wait for the 20/20 back to back, come back to me after it ;)

It's a tough weekend but very doable with a good nights sleep on the Saturday! Yeah, really see the benefits of the double days. Look forward to reading the blog some more tonight properly. Looking for someone to do some long runs with so if interested give me a shout. Plan looks good.

Thursday 30/01
    9.90 Miles Easy @7.22p/m in 1.13:00

Friday 31/01
    135 Minute Long Run
    -18.85 Miles Easy @7.12p/m in 2.15:38

Increasing the long run bit by bit with the view to adding some progression later on in the schedule. Legs are definitely tired but strong. I included a full loop of the Phoenix Park into this one. No matter how many times I run it, I always find the section from the Conyngham Gate and up the Military Road towards the S-Bends, tough. I continuly find it a hard enough section but always very enjoyable. Once again I got truly soaked during this run (why does this always happen on the long run? errr..) I soley concentrated on maintaining an easy effort during the run so happy to clock an average of 7.12p/m when the legs were somewhat fatigued.

I received an email today from the Rotterdam Marathon confirming 'Corral C' starting position. Hopefully starting here will help regarding avoiding the worst of the congestion.

Month|Days Run|Miles Run|Daily Average|2014
    January|31/31|347.8|11.2|347.8

Saturday 01/02
    7.40 Miles Recovery (no watch)

Fairly tired for this one. I am counting the run into the very strong headwind along the canal as resistance training!

Sunday 02/02
    8.67 Miles Steady @c.6.30p/m
    -inc. 5x30 second strides

The plan called for a tempo but with a late night (and a few beers!) I decided to postpone until next week. Settled on a steady run with 5 strides and was happy with the effort. The legs felt surprisingly great.

WEEK TOTAL: 80.97+ MILES

• Advertisement

Monday 03/02
    11.60 Miles Easy @6.56 in 1.20:31

I will admit that this was wind assisted. For once, I wasn't battered by the wind and enjoyed a lovely tailwind for the majority. The miles flew by.

Tuesday 04/02
    13.8 Miles

-4 Miles Easy
    -5.8 Miles Pyramid Session
    1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 minutes with 60 second active recovery (120 seconds after the 5 minutes)
    -4 Miles Easy (like a drowned rat :))

WOW.

The thought did enter to skip the club session after I looked out the door and onto the truly horrific conditions. I told myself to run the 2 miles to the club house and then decide. The weather at this point wasn't too bad and was happy to see a decent turnout. Headed out for a two mile run to 'warm-up' :) and headed straight onto the track to get this done. The mixture of rain and wind was terrible but once I got started I actually really enjoyed my first ever Pyramid Session. With the weather how it was, this session would be all about effort. Despite the worsening conditions, I kept the 5k effort throughout. The weather had a great galvanising effect on the group and I think we were all just delighted to get this one done as the conditions gave us every excuse not to. Two more miles 'warm-down' (!!) and I headed on my 2 mile run swim home.

Never so happy to get into a hot shower.

Wednesday 05/02
    9.27 Miles Easy @7.35 in 1.10:20

Nice and easy as I was pretty tired. Briefly flirted with the idea of a double day but I promised myself previously not to mile-chase.

Thursday 06/02
    19.32 Miles Easy @7.15-7.20p/m (watch malfunction)

Ran the two miles up the club and then decided to do a long run by myself! What a team player :) Ran up with two options in mind: tempo or long run. I put a bit of money into the pocket (in case of disaster) before I left so maybe I subconsciously knew that a long run was on the cards, particularly as the weather for the weekend looks pretty grim. I had no route in mind and ended up running a mile or two extra. The run itself posed absolutely no problems so my endurance/aerobic capacity is in good shape at the moment. It's definitely a time for change in regards to the long run. I will talk to the coach soon but I feel I need some progression/faster miles within the long run (progression run, fast finish or some miles@MP). A lot to think about. I have a feeling he will advise leaving the faster miles until later in the plan and therefore closer to the marathon.

Friday 07/02
    8.60 Miles Very Easy @7.42p/m in 1.06:10

A bit stiff and tight in the morning so a run at very easy pace was much appreciated. Did the trick nicely.

Saturday 08/02
    11 Miles Various

-3.70 Miles Easy
    -5K Marlay Parkrun in 29min (Pacing duties)
    -4.25 Miles Easy @7.08p/m in 30:20

Suggested to the person who I part-time 'coach' that I would help pace her at that weeks Marlay Parkrun. She has a race next week so this was just her training run and a perfect dress rehearsal. Very happy not be racing this as the weather was horrific. Funnily enough I spotted the winner before it even started. Slight niggle in the inner right knee so decided to take today easy.

Sunday 09/02
    9+ Miles

-1 Mile W/U
    -6 Miles Tempo @5.49p/m
    -1+ Mile W/D
    -8x40 second hill repeats @c.5.30p/m with 60 second recovery
    -W/D

With a very slight niggle it was a helpful reminder that I have been running way too much on the road. Time to head to the gym and the treadmill. The tempo was all about effort so 5.49 a mile with a decent gradient felt about right. Running on the treadmill is certainly easier so a 5.49 probably equates to a 6.00-6.05 mile on the road. The hill repeats were tough but enjoyable.

Some back strengthening exercises and some swimming wrapped up the week nicely.

WEEK TOTAL: 82.59+ MILES

With a 5k race on Sunday I will be slightly front loading the miles to the beginning of the week. It's an important race to do well in but it must not compromise the training. There will be a small reduction in mileage before a heavy week next week. From Sunday it's all about Bohmermeen and nailing it.

Man you make me feel bad every time I see your weekly training :P Great stuff though, I'm envious of your tempo pace, what's the thinking behind that? do you have set paces in your mind for tempo, interval and long runs or do you just run by feel?

What's the aim for Bohermeen? I signed up myself during the week and hoping I can manage about 82 mins

Man you make me feel bad every time I see your weekly training :P Great stuff though, I'm envious of your tempo pace, what's the thinking behind that? do you have set paces in your mind for tempo, interval and long runs or do you just run by feel?

What's the aim for Bohermeen? I signed up myself during the week and hoping I can manage about 82 mins

Thanks. I am not too sure if it's good consistency or just plain stubbornness! I do most of my runs by effort. So, if an 'easy' run is, let's say, 5 (out of ten) my tempo effort is 8. Sometimes the speed is there, sometimes not :) it really just depends. I try not to force it too much.

Great target. Apparently it's a brilliant race. The aim? That's the question! I would like to think I could hit sub 80. Current PB is 1.22 but I would like to think that is now a soft target.

• Advertisement

Yeah you seem confident and your training speaks for itself so I'd say sub 80 is well on. It's a target I should be hitting if I'm going to go sub 2:50 but realistically speaking I just don't think I'll be in sub 80 shape by then. If I hit the 1:22 (McMillan equates that to a 2:52 marathon) I've still a good chance and another good month of training after it, just a matter of working hard to the day of the marathon and hoping it all comes together.

Starting to run by effort a bit myself now having been a slave to my garmin in past schedules. It actually takes a lot of pressure off the session, I did a 16 x 2 mins @ 5k effort last week by feel and wasn't far off the pace at all. I found I wasn't constantly checking the watch every few seconds which allowed me concentrate more on form and breathing and actually just getting in that completely focussed zone. I'm half thinking of applying this approach in a race but give me time, detaching yourself from your garmin is a lengthy and emotional process.

By the way have you sorted your flights and accommodation yet? I've neither done, I'm not sure where I'll be living at the time but probably should get a hotel booked soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

By the way have you sorted your flights and accommodation yet? I've neither done, I'm not sure where I'll be living at the time but probably should get a hotel booked soon

Glad to hear I am not the only one :D

Yeah you seem confident and your training speaks for itself so I'd say sub 80 is well on. It's a target I should be hitting if I'm going to go sub 2:50 but realistically speaking I just don't think I'll be in sub 80 shape by then. If I hit the 1:22 (McMillan equates that to a 2:52 marathon) I've still a good chance and another good month of training after it, just a matter of working hard to the day of the marathon and hoping it all comes together.

Starting to run by effort a bit myself now having been a slave to my garmin in past schedules. It actually takes a lot of pressure off the session, I did a 16 x 2 mins @ 5k effort last week by feel and wasn't far off the pace at all. I found I wasn't constantly checking the watch every few seconds which allowed me concentrate more on form and breathing and actually just getting in that completely focussed zone. I'm half thinking of applying this approach in a race but give me time, detaching yourself from your garmin is a lengthy and emotional process.

A 1.22 would put you in with a good shot of sub 2.50 if training goes well for the remaining weeks. It does depend on the type of runner you are though. Yeah, people can be complete slaves to their Garmin (I used to be one!) I should be running xx:xx not xx:xx etc. Garmins can be a great tool but like everything, it's a balancing act. That's a great session by the way.

Flights booked. Thinking of an apartment rather than hotel now. Time to get a move on!!

ecoli wrote: »
    Glad to hear I am not the only one :D

All this hard work training and I still don't have a hotel! I could be slumming it over there by this rate....:)

Monday 10/02
    16.63 Miles

AM
    80 Minutes Easy
    -11.15 Miles @7.11p/m in 1.20:10

PM
    40 Minutes Easy
    -5.48 Miles @7.19p/m in 40:05

A day just to build the miles. The plan is to front-load some of the miles this week with a race on Sunday. 2hrs or running and can't remember any of it!

Tuesday 11/02
    11.22 Miles

Club Track Session
    Steady Run

-2 Mile Warm-Up
    -9.22 Miles Steady @6.25p/m in 59:13 (probably a shade quicker-watch problem)

With a frozen track a steady/tempo run was agreed. I managed to forget both my socks and gloves (I think my feet have paid a hefty price). Despite the forgetfulness I felt very strong today and probably the strongest I have felt during the entire training block. With things going well(ish) the temptation is to push the intensity/mileage but I won't fall into that particular trap. There is no point peaking in February after all!

TIP: If unused to wearing no socks whilst running, AVOID AT ALL COSTS! This may lead to pain and discomfort....ouch :)

Wednesday 12/02
    8.90 Miles Very Easy

The previous nights steady run left it's mark in two ways. Fatigue I can deal with but cut beat up feet is a different matter. That'll teach me. Nice and easy to recover.

Thursday 13/02
    17.50 Miles Long Run @7.07p/m in 02.04:30

Firstly, I have no idea how this run was so fast. The plan was for an easy long run before incorporating a bit of speed into the long run next week. My legs are definitely tired at the moment, no doubt so I was somewhat apprehensive setting out today. When apprehension sets in the only thing to help is to get out the door asap and just get going, giving you less time to let the doubts creep in.

Two days easy running before a race on Sunday. I need to build some confidence in the week leading up to a race. Self doubting can fill my mind at times. Time to think positive! Less thinking, more running :)

Friday 14/02
    8 Miles Easy @7.30p/m
    -inc. 5x30 second strides at 5k effort

Treadmill. Beyond boring. That is all.

Saturday 15/02
    4+ Miles Easy
    -inc. 30 second stride at 5k effort

In Sligo for the weekend so a gentle run was in order with a race the next day. That evening the body just felt terrible. Could barely get out of the car!

Sunday 16/02
    7+ Miles

Cloonacool 5k Road Race
    Time: 17.03 (unofficial)
    Position: 1st

To put this into some perspective, I ran this race last year running 19.47. I wasn't in a good place and ran terrible. To say I was keen to make amends would be putting it lightly.

Like all great pre-race plans, the plan went out the window as soon as the gun went. In my head the aim was get a good time and hopefully secure a decent place. My PB is 17:24 so the aim was to break this. So the gun went off and I quickly realised I may be in with a shot of placing well or maybe even winning. I tucked in behind the leader and hit the 1k in 3:15. Now the race was all about tactics, effort and in a distant third, time. After the 1k mark we were both overtaken. No need to panic. I tucked in behind the new leader and allowed him a 10-15m lead, pretty confident I could catch him later on. The course was an out and back so a quick turn around the community centre saw us head for home with just over 2k to go. The course here was a gradual long uphill into the wind. With all the hill work under the belt I was fully confident I would make up the ground on the leader.

Soon after the 3k marker I positioned myself behind the leader and considered my options. I waited to just before the 4k mark to make my move. Now it was all about winning. I didn't care about time. If I cared about the time I would have pushed on earlier and possibly risked the win. The race on Stephen's Day taught me a lot. In that race I settled for '3rd place' and didn't push on and try and catch the runner ahead. In fact I came 4th, not 3rd.

Delighted to take my first ever win. Yes, it wasn't the biggest race of the year but a win is a win :) These days probably won't happen too often so I fully intend to savour the moment (and that I did!) I know, if pushed, I could have maybe gone 15-25 seconds quicker today but 16:xx will happily wait for another race.

Great to finally collect some prize money. A very well run race and a great spread afterwards (most importantly :)).

WEEK TOTAL: 73.25+ MILES

The body is tired but the mind is strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

A win, a great time, a PB & some €€ !!

Nice work.

That's a cracking run DR, inspirational stuff. Smashed your PB, 1st place and a huge confidence booster for a sub 2:50, a good day all around I would say :)

That's a cracking run DR, inspirational stuff. Smashed your PB, 1st place and a huge confidence booster for a sub 2:50, a good day all around I would say :)

Thanks. Most definitely. It has given me some much needed confidence that training has/is going well. I find the endless weeks of training without races tough as a lot of doubts creep in. Now to look towards Bohermeen.....now that'll be all about time! Hope the training is going well

• Advertisement

A win, a great time, a PB & some €€ !!

Nice work.

Cheers! You look to be flying at the moment, great stuff.

Monday 17/02
    80 Minutes Easy
    -11.05 Miles @7.16p/m in 1.20:21

Legs felt good for this one.

Tuesday 18/02
    12+ Miles Various

-4 Miles Warm-Up
    -800m x 8 in 2.37-2.41 with 90 second recovery
    -4+ Miles Warm-Down

Found this tough. The 5th and 6th rep were hard. A lot of tiredness in the legs. I briefly thought of knocking the last two on the head but ground it out. The 7th rep was actually felt pretty good and the 8th was the fastest! Pretty decent session. No not a chance I could have done this solo today. Really seeing the benefit of doing this type of session in a group.

Wednesday 19/02
    10.89 Miles Very Easy @7.48p/m in 1.25:00

Legs pretty shattered after the exploits of the previous few days. Up early before I had a chance to think. One of those runs to just get ticked off and move on......

This week will be a hard week, I can feel it. Almost half way there though :) A long run, hill session and a steady/run planned. The plan is to (sort of) experiment with the long run tomorrow. This really does depend on how I feel tomorrow. Next week is all about knocking out a good HM. My marathon plan is a long one so I can hopefully afford a few easy days before and after.

Thursday 20/02

Plan:
    2hr Long Run
    -with 20 minute fast effort finish

Actual:
    2hr Long Run
    -with 10 minute slightly faster finish

Details: 16.85 Miles @7.17p/m in 2.02:45
    -inc. 1.63 Miles @6.35p/m in 10:45 to finish

To say that I am unhappy with this run would be an understatement. The energy levels were very good for the entirety of the run but from Mile 4 onwards the area just above the right knee was giving me some trouble. The pain was bad enough to slow me down (especially going uphill) but not bad enough to stop. The fast finish wasn't fast, that's for sure. At the this stage sub 6.15p/m should pose very little problems. The section was against the wind and had a big climb (c.106ft if I am right) but I don't think that's an excuse.

I am happy with my training to date but the long run is giving me a headache. For example, running 18+ miles @7.30p/m doesn't take a lot out of me and doesn't create a sufficient training stimulus at this stage of my marathon training. I would rather run 16+ miles with some 'quality' thrown in than run 24 miles slowly.......

With next week being a race week I will do my longish run on Wednesday. After that there are only 5 long runs left. Each one must count.

Friday 21/02
    14.24 Miles Various

AM

8.10 Miles Easy @7.24p/m in 1.00:00 (Treadmill)

Conscious of the knee pain I hit the gym. The knee pain was noticeable but manageable. A swim after really helped to loosen it out. Job done.

PM

45 Minutes Easy
    -6.14 Miles @7.23p/m in 45:23

Knee felt a lot better. Really enjoyed this one. Like always the double day very much suits me. The legs always felt just brilliant in the evening.

Saturday 22/02
    15.93 Miles Various

AM

10.73 Miles @6.47p/m in 1.12:46

I decided late the previous night to leave this run completely to feel and just go with 'what feels right'. The run ended up being a progressive one with the pace being whatever I felt like! Very enjoyable to just run and not worry about hitting certain mile splits etc. The run went something like this:

EASY~STEADY~TEMPO~FAST FINISH

I estimate I started at c.7.20p/m (1st 4 miles) hitting a tempo pace of c.6.10p/m before upping the pace heading for home.

Sometimes making a run up as you go along can be exactly what you need.

Happy.

PM

40 Minutes Very Easy
    -5.20 @7.45p/m in 40:20

Legs great but energy levels very low for parts of the run (lesson not run whilst hungry). The food when home was heaven....:)

Sunday 23/02
    9.10+ Miles

-4.30 Miles Easy
    -8 x 30 second hill repeats at 3k pace with 90 second recovery
    -4.30 Miles Easy

The regular hill session today using Military Road in the Phoenix Park. Nice bit of speed in the legs and a great way to finish of a solid weeks training.

WEEK TOTAL: 90+ Miles

A good week with my highest ever mileage coupled with some decent quality sessions. Next week is all about the HM so I have limited myself to a 65 mile week with the main runs being a session on Tuesday and a long easy run on Wednesday. Every other run will be at an easy effort with a number of strides thrown in nearing race day.

The real work begins after the HM with a very tough four week marathon training block before entering a two week taper. The weeks have just flown by.

Pressure gig....:o

Monday 25/02
    8.65 Miles @7.07p/m in 1.01:38

Tuesday 25/02
    10.4+ Miles Various

-4 Miles Easy
    -10 x 400m in 73-75 seconds (although one was a quickish 70)
    -4 Miles Easy

Wednesday 26/02

2hr Long Run
    -16.88 Miles Easy @7.09p/m in 2.00:38

With one eye to the weekend I was keen to knock out a shortish long run. The pace felt easy and controlled. The run took very little out of me. This was exactly what I needed, with a race on the horizon and the previous nights session still slightly in the legs.

Thursday 27/02
    6.75 Miles Recovery @8.01 in 54:07

Let the mini-taper begin :pac: I'm getting good at these slow runs! Once the Saucony Hurricanes (aka The Bricks!) are put on the pace come right down. I really do notice the extra weight using these runners. They did the trick nicely.

Friday 28/02
    4.63 @7.01p/m in 32:31
    -inc. 3 x 30 second strides @5k effort

January|31/31|347.8|11.20|347.8
    February|28/28|309.2|11.04|657

Another decent month ticked off. The real work begins on Monday. With a few easy days before the HM I cannot wait to get going next week. I really am willing to throw the kitchen sink (within reason :)) at training this month. The old social life will take a back seat. There will be a lot of doubles once I get the plan nailed down after the race on Sunday. I should be pretty well rested come race day so the pressure is slightly on! That's the way it should be I suppose.

Plans for next month? Race a 5k/10k with no easing up in the training beforehand. I am tempted though to run a half at marathon pace, adding a few slower miles to bring it up to 20.

I had an interesting during the week discussion regarding pain and particularly, dealing with pain during a race. It gave me plenty of food for thought. Not many are adept with coping with, and dealing with, the anguish that can come when pushing yourself to the limit. This may be what separates the good from the truly great.

All that can wait though. Bohermeen deserves 100% commitment and concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Monday 25/02
    8.65 Miles @7.07p/m in 1.01:38

Tuesday 25/02
    10.4+ Miles Various

-4 Miles Easy
    -10 x 400m in 73-75 seconds (although one was a quickish 70)
    -4 Miles Easy

Wednesday 26/02

2hr Long Run
    -16.88 Miles Easy @7.09p/m in 2.00:38

With one eye to the weekend I was keen to knock out a shortish long run. The pace felt easy and controlled. The run took very little out of me. This was exactly what I needed, with a race on the horizon and the previous nights session still slightly in the legs.

Thursday 27/02
    6.75 Miles Recovery @8.01 in 54:07

Let the mini-taper begin :pac: I'm getting good at these slow runs! Once the Saucony Hurricanes (aka The Bricks!) are put on the pace come right down. I really do notice the extra weight using these runners. They did the trick nicely.

Friday 28/02
    4.63 @7.01p/m in 32:31
    -inc. 3 x 30 second strides @5k effort

January|31/31|347.8|11.20|347.8
    February|28/28|309.2|11.04|657

Another decent month ticked off. The real work begins on Monday. With a few easy days before the HM I cannot wait to get going next week. I really am willing to throw the kitchen sink (within reason :)) at training this month. The old social life will take a back seat. There will be a lot of doubles once I get the plan nailed down after the race on Sunday. I should be pretty well rested come race day so the pressure is slightly on! That's the way it should be I suppose.

Plans for next month? Race a 5k/10k with no easing up in the training beforehand. I am tempted though to run a half at marathon pace, adding a few slower miles to bring it up to 20.

I had an interesting during the week discussion regarding pain and particularly, dealing with pain during a race. It gave me plenty of food for thought. Not many are adept with coping with, and dealing with, the anguish that can come when pushing yourself to the limit. This may be what separates the good from the truly great.

All that can wait though. Bohermeen deserves 100% commitment and concentration.

Good luck on Sunday. I hope all goes according to plan....Enjoy!!

Good luck Sunday DR, hopefully won't be too far behind you ;) If you see me around (Donore vest, #320) say hello!

Good luck Sunday DR, hopefully won't be too far behind you ;) If you see me around (Donore vest, #320) say hello!

Haha! I'll look out for you. I think you may be slightly underselling yourself, I will be the one behind you I think! Cracking training by the way. Really enjoying the blog.

I'll be wearing an orange or something with orange in it and tall enough so I should stand out. Have a great race. Time to collect on all the training.

Saturday 01/03
    3 Miles Easy
    -inc. 30 second stride

Sunday 02/03
    19+ Miles Various

BOHERMEEN HALF MARATHON

1.18:17

24th Place (out of 656)

I allowed myself a three day mini-taper heading into the most important race before Rotterdam. The race was important to both get a good time and as a confidence booster. The legs felt surprisingly fresh this morning. It's been quite a few weeks since the first few steps out of bed weren't tired ones. The aim was to go sub 1.19 and break my PB from Waterford last December4 (1.22:36).

The start was cold and wet which might excuse the quick start I made. Realistically though, it was a combination of inexperience and a general eagerness to prove to myself that training has gone well. Natural order was resumed when Ecoli overtook me around the Mile 4 mark :) I decided at Mile 3 to slow up a bit and concentrate on my own race and not to try to catch the Mullingar runner just ahead. This race was all about time. The rest of the race was quite uneventful but at the same time very enjoyable. I always felt in complete control.

I kicked on slightly at Mile 11 but at that stage a 1.17 was off the cards. If I had more confidence I could have kicked on earlier but that day can wait. I am happy to knock over four minutes off my PB in the three months since Waterford but in the same breath, I know that there is so much more there.

Steady progress.

PM

5.72 Miles Easy in 7.23p/m in 42:14

WEEK TOTAL: 69.31+ MILES

A reduction in the mileage this week to leave myself as fresh as possible heading into Sunday. After a chat with my coach this evening a revised target for Rotterdam has been decided. Using the Tralee Marathon as a long slow training run was even mentioned but that is far from a certainty. I am not too sure whether running MP +25 seconds for 26.2 Miles is the best course of action for me at the moment.

Six weeks to go......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

If it was me...I'd leave Tralee. (See what I did there ;))

You could leave your marathon in kerry rather than rotterdam.

Savage run today, very impessive. well on target and it would be a shame to overcook it.

Advertisement