Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making every mile count

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

why are you trying carb-loading this time? trying to avoid gels during the race, or just figure it will give you a bit of a boost?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

RayCun wrote: »
    why are you trying carb-loading this time? trying to avoid gels during the race, or just figure it will give you a bit of a boost?

Was wondering this too? Have you suffered badly in the past? Seems a bit risky to be trying this before a major goal. What happens if it doesn't suit you? I know if you try something new, you have to start sometime but would you not have been better trying this before a pacing gig for example?

Good luck this weekend, hope you get the time you deserve!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

RayCun wrote: »

The basic idea is to delete carbs from the diet from Sunday eve to Thursday eve. In essence; carb depletion before carb loading. It's a much discussed area and results often disputed but I wanted to try it out. It's tough but not as bad as feared!

I will be taking gels during the race. Again, results differ regarding the use of gels but as they don't impede me, I use them. Also, they create a nice distraction every 5 miles!

Was wondering this too? Have you suffered badly in the past? Seems a bit risky to be trying this before a major goal. What happens if it doesn't suit you? I know if you try something new, you have to start sometime but would you not have been better trying this before a pacing gig for example?

Good luck this weekend, hope you get the time you deserve!

Well done at the weekend. Pics looked class!

As this cycle has been essentially a 'rinse and repeat' of the 2016 plan, I am keen to try something new. Why? Partly for the sake of it bit also with an eye on future marathon attempts. I guess there's only one way to find out if it has worked! I don't think there's much risk as I am still eating like a horse (minus carbs). Other than that Thursday to race start will be exactly the same as previous.

I guess it's like everything in running; you find one opinion supporting to one arguing against. I love my food so meal preperation has been very interesting and a process I have already learned much from. It carries a small risk but a risk I am willing to take. There's only one way to find out I guess!

*Good to read Steve Way/Jason Cherrimann etc. in respect to it's benefits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 OWinter

Good luck from myself and Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done at the weekend. Pics looked class!

As this cycle has been essentially a 'rinse and repeat' of the 2016 plan, I am keen to try something new. Why? Partly for the sake of it bit also with an eye on future marathon attempts. I guess there's only one way to find out if it has worked! I don't think there's much risk as I am still eating like a horse (minus carbs). Other than that Thursday to race start will be exactly the same as previous.

I guess it's like everything in running; you find one opinion supporting to one arguing against. I love my food so meal preperation has been very interesting and a process I have already learned much from. It carries a small risk but a risk I am willing to take. There's only one way to find out I guess!

*Good to read Steve Way/Jason Cherrimann etc. in respect to it's benefits
    The other thing about carb depletion is that it needs a good hard session (usually '16-18 miles + finishing hard' is bandied about), in order to flatline the glycogen stores, but that's just too much of a risk in my book. Without this level of depletion, you won't necessarily get the glycogen storage benefits, when you go into the carb-loading phase. Won't do you any harm (and watching what you eat for the next few days will have a broadly beneficial impact), but running really well on Sunday (which I know you'll do), will likely have more to do with the hard training you've put in, than the carb-depletion phase. But that's the challenging aspect - after the race it will be hard to separate what benefit you got from the carb phase, from the benefit from the training/taper. In any case, enjoy the eggs and the fish! Catch up with you on Friday or Saturday.

The other thing about carb depletion is that it needs a good hard session (usually '16-18 miles + finishing hard' is bandied about), in order to flatline the glycogen stores, but that's just too much of a risk in my book. Without this level of depletion, you won't necessarily get the glycogen storage benefits, when you go into the carb-loading phase. Won't do you any harm (and watching what you eat for the next few days will have a broadly beneficial impact), but running really well on Sunday (which I know you'll do), will likely have more to do with the hard training you've put in, than the carb-depletion phase. But that's the challenging aspect - after the race it will be hard to separate what benefit you got from the carb phase, from the benefit from the training/taper. In any case, enjoy the eggs and the fish! Catch up with you on Friday or Saturday.

Exactly. I've honestly watched my eating as much as I have this week so that has to be a good thing. I agree about the hard run to fully empty the stores but as you say, too risky. I am guessing by the last sharpener on Thursday that the stored will be low and as much as I love eggs and cheese, I never want to see any again for a while. I hit a new low by making kale crisps last night! I've never felt more ashamed but they actually tasted ok (olive oil, spicy seasoning of course added!). In that respect it's been a very interesting week and it does give me a helpful distraction of sorts to running. The training is what counts so here is hoping.

See you at the weekend. Cannot wait now.

P.S How is the weather looking? Raincoat or speedos?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

P.S How is the weather looking? Raincoat or speedos?!

Speedo-coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

OWinter wrote: »
    Good luck from myself and Brian

Nothing like an endorsement from a true legend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

All the very best man, hope it goes well. You've done savage work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

read your log from cover to cover over the past week or so A, a great story to be fair ! Good luck at the weekend, some fantastic training in the lead up to this one

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck on Sunday, I really enjoy reading your training log, hope all goes well for you on the day!

Cheers all. You all have have way too much time to be reading my collection of mistakes, calamities, near race misses, daily 'interactions' with cyclists and taximen......the list is endless!

In reality, it's just another race. I used to say that but never truly believed the sentiment or words. Now I do. I am a believer! It is just another race. I really want and demand a good result but Sunday is just another day in the cycle; another day in the the hopefully never ending cycle of simply pushing yourself and seeing where it gets you. No limits, just blind hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck on Sunday A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck on Sunday A, great training to lead to a great race. Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Very best of luck Sunday, no doubt if the weather is kind you'll run a super race, leave it all out there.

Have a great race!

As I sit here in the very same room I stayed in exactly one year to the day, it is hard not to look back and compare but to also think forward to Sunday. It is an odd mixture of emotions and feeling, jarring but somehow quite comforting. Sunday means a lot to me but I am experienced enough to know at this stage that whatever happens, happens. I have prepared well so I will let fate take hold and hopefully bring me to a happy place on Sunday!

I will give a quick update. I do this for posterity reasons over any real points of interest or discussion. It will also serve to subdue some of the boredom and growing appeal of hitting the local bar and letting the night take hold! That particular thought at the moment has quite the appeal to a marathon runner, two days out from an important race.

By the way, I simply despise packing for races abroad! It's like a military operation. The OCD is strong in me.

Saturday 1/4: 8 Miles inc. 6 Miles @MP (5.46p/m -too fast but that was the plan)
    Sunday 2/4: Medium Long Easy Run -14.25 Miles @7.15p/m

WEEK TOTAL: 67.85+ MILES

Monday 3/4: AM 4 Miles Easy @7.20p/m PM 4 Miles Easy @6.58p/m -inc. 6x30sec surges
    Tuesday 4/4: 6.25 Miles Easy @7.21p/m
    Wednesday 5/4: AM 3 Miles Easy @7.22p/m PM 3 Miles @7.08p/m
    Thursday 6/4: 4 Miles @6.28p/m -inc. 10min @MP
    Friday 7/4: 3 Miles Very Easy @7.33p/m

-Marathon training how I will miss thee. Until next time. Over and out.

The very best to all competing this weekend and a big thank you for all the very kind words.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

G'luck. Get there early for a change. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great running dude. Enjoy the post-race beers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Huge well done Anto, great result & racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Well done DR.... Great running there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Brilliant run, great to see hard work being rewarded like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great running today. Enjoy the rest of the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super Anto - just Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Well deserved pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Congrats Anto, savage time.

great running, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great running and congratulations on the PB. Very well deserved.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I write this on the train to Antwerp, accompanied by a stinker of a hangover. Performance-wise I give yesterday a 6/10. Just about on the right side of acceptable!

For whatever reason I just love the Rotterdam Marathon. It really does hold a special place in my running heart. Maybe my subdued response to my time is because I was not chasing a tangible, albeit arbitrary, time goal. Breaking 4 hours, breaking 3 hours etc. are goals you can really target and the satisfaction of realising those goals, priceless. For me, I was not chasing a landmark time. I was just trying to do the training justice.

I waltzed through taper like never before. I reached the race in the shape of my life but did not run the race of my life. That is not being hard on myself, it is just my honest and frank assessment! Am I disappointed? 40% of me is. The other 60% tells the remaining 40% to get real! A 6/10 performance, no doubt.

I love training. I love running. I just need to bring it together more to properly attack the distance. Yesterday I ran scared and made a few awful mistakes. Have I learned much from the experience? You better believe it. My motivation has never been higher and I will not stop trying to be the very best I can be. Whatever the clock says is secondary to that. I am my own best and hardest critic.

I will write up about the weekend later on in the week. Until then it is beer and food time! Oh yeah! Having only booked accommodation only last night, I hope Antwerp has a lot to offer.

Thanks again for all the supportive messages!

Advertisement