Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making every mile count

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Monday 3/7

11+ Miles

Session: Pyramid 4x200m, 2x400m, 800m, 2x400m, 4x200m -1min jog rec

Reps:
    200m: 33,34, 34, 34
    400m: 75, 74
    800m: 2.28
    400m: 74,73
    200m: 34, 34, 35, 34

(description above)

Tuesday 4/7

AM

5.10 Miles Easy @7.38p/m

PM

4.10 Miles Easy @7.38p/m

Wednesday 5/7

5 Miles Very Easy @7.41p/m

Thursday 6/7

AM

2 Miles Shakeout @8.21p/m

Nine, yes NINE, laps of the local square. Sweet Jaysus! Still, a pre-race routine is a pre-race routine!

PM

-1.75 Miles w/u
    -Docklands 5km (17th - 16.10)
    -4.25 Miles w/d

I expected to go low 16s tonight, not to challenge my PB from the previous week and well, run strong! I think my pre-race mentality was realistic, rather than a negative disposition. I felt great on Tuesday but sh1te on the Wednesday run so I kind of knew I was tired. I ran here in 2016, running well in a good time of 16.22, At the very least I expected a vast improvement. The route along the Liffey took us towards the <insert whatever phone company paid the bill> Arena/Point Depot; flat, on closed roads and potentially very fast. The only real issue is traditionally the strength and direction of wind but what ye gonna do ‘bout dah?!

After a brief wait we were off. I immediately felt flat and tired but hoped things would loosen out. The field tonight was very good and better than expected (great to see). I was to have the 15.50 train I had in Kilcock but hoped to work with and off a group, particularly into the wind of the long stretch back towards the city. We soon rounded Butt Bridge and headed towards the port. I was leading a small group of runners (by the sounds of the shoes hitting the tarmac), with a noticeable gap up to the runners ahead. Not a good place to be! As a strength based runner I had no option but to run hard. The other option would have been to sit back and lose time, only to be eventually beaten by the runners with any speed. The 2km marker came and went. The pace felt decent but again, I was leading the charge (well behind the leaders obviously!). The wind was on our back so I knew the turnaround, and the long stretch towards the city, was the make or break section. I saw Gary just behind of the turn back so knew he would likely catch. The long stretch (did I mention it felt long?!) was fairly grim, with at least two sitting on my shoulder. In fairness to them I have done similar into the wind but still, I knew it would come back and bite me. I was doing all the work but I had no alternative. Just run, Anthony!

To do essentially all the work, to know they would surge as soon as the wind was on our backs after the turn for home, was playing on my mind. I wasn’t in a great place and was looking forward to the post-race beer. I let slip here and lost a fair chunk of time. I will need to sort out my tactics in that regard. As night follows day, the two left turns over the bridge meant just over 1km to go and the wind on our backs. And ss night follows day I was immediately overtaken.. I soon saw the clock and phoned it in pace-wise. I wasn’t going to murder myself to run a non PB time. Not today.

A decent performance in hindsight. A crackin’ race and a very good workout.

Bloody wind!

Friday 7/7

AM

5.25 Miles Very Easy @7.42p/m

PM

8 Miles Easy @7.17p/m

Saturday 8/7

5 Miles Easy @7.06p/m

Very lucky to get in any run this evening. Time very much against me!

I need more than 3 hours broken sleep!

Sunday 9/7

AM

10.25 Miles

Session: 7x1m @5.3xp/m ~3.15min recovery (reducing by 30sec each rep)

Splits: 5.37, 5.32, 5.33, 5.32, 5.33, 5.33, 5.23

Not that I watch Love Island but the session was ‘my type on paper’. 120%.

What was very much against me this morning was the chronic lack of sleep. I was looking forward to it but also aware of how tired I was. After a mess up on my part :pac: we soon arrived close enough to the PP to jog to the Tom Brennan loop; the perfect loop for a session like this one. The 1st rep was a shock to the system but I soon go into a decent groove on what was a perfect day in the Park. The trick with the recovery jogs is not to chat away because the first, and longest recovery, felt the quickest. Ah! The session flew by, with the hardest being the 5th. I upped the effort slightly on the last rep but nothing too hard.

The session bodes well for the National Half. I am very confident of holding very low 5.3x’s for the opening 10 miles but the challenge really starts with the hills over the last 5km. I guess the hills will suit me but hope they don’t impact too much on the time. Anyway, I digress. I have the small matter of a 5km and 10km to contend with first!

-1.90 Mile Jog w/d

PM

5 Miles Very Easy/Recovery @7.47p/m

WEEK TOTAL: 71.70+ MILES

Monday 10/7

Plan: 10-14 Miles Easy

14.25 Miles @7.26p/m

Tuesday 11/7

Easy Day

AM

6 Miles Easy @7.30p/m

PM

5 Miles Easy @7.30p/m (snap)

I gave blood after Monday’s run so I knew the knock on donation fatigue could perhaps last 2 or 3 days. I try to plan my donations to fit in with racing/hard training so I usually try to slot it in when suits. That’s 19 down so only 1 more to go to get the coveted gold pin! Pretty tired throughout both runs so the pace was nice and handy.

Wednesday 12/7

Session: 20x(400m @75-77sec, 30sec rec)

I knew this session was going to pop up soon enough and so it did on Tuesday evening. In truth, it was the session I was most definitely dreading. It’s a horrible one, with a mere 30 seconds between repetitions. It also totals very close to 5 miles at 5km pace so it’s a very very tough one. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a slog and yes, a failure! I told myself to give it a shot and not to give in and ask for something a bit more manageable. I was a man destined for failure methinks. Maybe the sheer volume meant I went in with a negative mindset. 20 laps? Ah here…….

76 seconds laps equates to my PB of 15.56 for the 5km distance so the session targets weren’t overly aggressive.

Enough waffle!

I managed:
    -12x400m @77sec average (30sec rec)
    -3min recover
    -8x(200m @5k-3k, 200m jog)

After 6 I was flogging myself. I wasn’t feeling that bad really but I just couldn’t get over the total. 20,20,20…...it was relentlessly washing about in my consciousness. I told myself to get to 10 and then I told myself get to 12. I could have pushed on, it wasn’t like the splits were slowing. They weren’t. The session and the sheer punishment of the cinder track got the better of me this morning.

For the first ever time I felt the cinder track really impacted the legs and effort. As much as I have a love/hate relationship with the ‘track’, it just doesn’t cut it for these types of workouts.

In truth, a session beyond my current fitness.

Total: 12+ Miles +drills/strides

Thursday 13/7

Easy Day

10 Miles Easy @7.33p/m

I am down for the 5km in the Park on Saturday but the pace (may be at race pace :eek:) was yet to be confirmed. The general easy pace is slowing, which has been a trend for quite some time (anecdotal - haven't looked back). While keeping the pace easy is a good thing, I wonder is partly down to good old cumulative fatigue. I am not going to worry as Wednesday was my first miserable attempt at a session in quite sometime. It's along way to the Amsterdam Marathon so I will keep an eye on it.

Oh yeah, I am doing the Amsterdam Marathon in October!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

On paper, your training looks like its going in the right direction, blips aside (if you class that a blip) - the trend is upwards to the spectator.

How you finding the coaching - If I remember, you were coached by 'himself' a few years ago, weren't you??
    Any '2nd guessing' the coach going on or are you fully committed?

On paper, your training looks like its going in the right direction, blips aside (if you class that a blip) - the trend is upwards to the spectator.

How you finding the coaching - If I remember, you were coached by 'himself' a few years ago, weren't you??
    Any '2nd guessing' the coach going on or are you fully committed?

New coach, new direction (I won't mention him without permission).

100% committed. We are in early days so it's a balancing of sorts. I say balancing act because I have races and goals I went to him with but he doesn't yet know what I capable of, training or racing wise. He knows by background but that's just a set of random numbers on a page (training and racing times). Does that make sense?! :)

I did go to him with a very ambitious target. I am confident that by self coaching I could possible eek out a few more minutes off the marathon distance, possibly 2 or 3 minutes (which would pose a big challenge) later this year. I guess I needed a change, some sort of accountability and a new approach.

I never would have dared to attempt 20x400m (30sec) by myself. In that regard he will probably push me harder (and in a new direction) than I would ever attempt by self coaching. Sure I messed it up but you can never fail if you never try!

On the other hand.......:pac:

'You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.'
    -Homer Simpson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

'You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.'[/I] -Homer Simpson

I thought he was talking to Bart, and Bart goes :

"Got it. Can't win. Don't try"

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    I thought he was talking to Bart, and Bart goes :

"Got it. Can't win. Don't try"

That may be correct but perhaps from a different episode? I'll rewatch later to make sure :)

Pretty sure everything in life can be related back to The Simpsons......well maybe not all. Every episode after Frank Grimes has been in rapid freefall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

That may be correct but perhaps from a different episode? I'll rewatch later to make sure :)

Pretty sure everything in life can be related back to The Simpsons......well maybe not all. Every episode after Frank Grimes has been in rapid freefall!

Don't think I've watched an ep in 10 years. Used to be unmissable.

Friday 14/7

5 Miles Easy

A desperate attempt to cut the miles and find my legs. Did it work? Like hell it did! I was still dead from the waist down :D.......

Saturday 15/7

-2 miles w/u +drills/strides
    -FitLive 5km - 17.06
    -7 miles run w/d

Race report:

1km: Man, I am tired
    2km: Yep, still f!cked :eek:
    3km: This feels like a jog; a tired jog
    4km: Tick tock......still bunched
    5km: I think I will go for a pint tomorrow pint. A pizza perhaps? Jaysus, my legs feel like two planks of rotten wood!

I reached the startline and immediately settled on going somewhat easy on myself. I didn't feel too tired in fact, just the legs were completely zapped on anything remotely resembling freshness. I know that feeling. Yes, I have over-trained. The first km felt like a jog but somehow I still felt very flat. A young man opened up a decent lead and I told myself he would die a death on the hills. Just keep the effort honest, Anthony. Well, I underestimated him. He kept the gap and I was in absolutely no humour to give chase. I settled for the 'run and if he comes back to me, he comes back to me!' approach. Up the hill, around the hairpin turn and he still had a 10 second gap. Here my mind started to wander. Why was I here? Why were you bothered showing up just to run like an idiot?! Anyway, one leg went infront of the other leg and we soon passed the 4km mark. Fair play to him I thought to myself, the young man was running very well. Kudos to him.

We turned for home. The great thing about the course was that I know it like the back of my hand. The straight up the Furze Road as everyone knows, is the longest stretch of road in Western Europe! 800m to go now. I didn't speed up one bit but caught him eventually.

I really love training and racing. There are so many reasons why I run, why I put on the runners 10+ times a week. Now, that's nothing special, far from it. I do it because I enjoy it. I honestly cannot say I enjoyed today. Not because it was a bad event or not well organised (it was much was). I didn't enjoy it because my attitude left so much to be desired. Honestly, what was the f!cking point putting in the effort and time to go to a race, only to do it half arsed? I would like to think I am somewhat better than that.

Sunday 16/7

Long Easy Run
    -16.25 Miles Easy

WEEK TOTAL: 80.60+ MILES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You were spotted in the papers today. Congrats on the win.

Monday 17/7

AM: 5 Miles Easy @7.30p/m
    PM: 5 Miles Easy @7.11p/m

Tuesday 18/7

12.25 Miles Easy @7.40p/m

A very enjoyable run in the company of Luke. The weather was crackin' for this run. The legs felt good starting out before becoming like two planks of wood on the clmib from Harold's Cross up to Tenenure. Delighted to get back to the car in one sweaty piece! Effort levels on the very high side given the pace. Alarm bells! Nah, I will press the big red IGNORE BUTTON :o.......

Wednesday 19/7

AM

5.10 Miles

Session: 6x800m ~90 seconds rec

Splits: 2.37, 2.39, 2.38. 2.38, 2.36, 2.34

With the benefit of 20/20 vision I cans see the splits were not what they should have been. I was told to run each in the mid 2.3x but again with hindsight, although feeling better than in previous days, the session points towards cumulative fatigue. I think I was kidding myself! I should have been honest with myself.

PM

5.10 Miles Very Easy @7.43p/m

Thursday 20/7

8 Miles Easy @7.24p/m

Friday 21/7

5 Miles Easy @7.33p/m

Saturday 22/7

4 Miles Easy @7.27p/m

Sunday 23/7

Fingal 10km

Standing on the startline; feeling fresh and in the company of some very good athletes. The weather and conditions looked favourable. No excuses really. The start was only seconds seconds away. We all stood waiting there in anticipation for one of the biggest and best 10km races in the country to get underway. I stood there with fresh legs but with beads of sweat dripping falling, with a noticeably high heart-rate. I attempted to park these two issue and run hard. I knew I would have plenty of company this morning as the field looked positively deep on what promised to be a fairly fast and flat course. I hoped for that illusive 1 in 100 races; the type of race that comes around despite the training woes recently encountered. I did consider pulling out of the race in the buildup but but settled on toeing the line with 100% commitment the Monday before. I wasn't like I was short of confidence. Although, that's probably because I had none to begin with! I was in a confidence and running form vacuum. I still had a 1% chance I naively told myself! The glass was not even half full. Just run, Anthony.

The gun went and we made our way up the short incline, turning left and off Swords main street. I was where I wanted to be, with a group nicely forming passing the 1km marker. The legs felt fresh but my word, I was dead from the waist down. There was nothing there passing the second KM marker. I was still however in a decent group, forgoing the watch in favour of running by feel. I began to lose touch with the pack. Pauric, Brian, Seamus etc., all runners I should be in contention with, all progressing nicely as I quickly went into running hell! I quickly reached a low point, a very low grim point! The next 8km was perhaps as bleak as I can recall. Each and every km marker dragged with an increasing sense of fatigue. The freshness in the legs somehow remained. I guess I reached the race over-trained, on the wrong side of the training and racing curve. Ciaran and I ran most of the race together; him just back from a running break and me thinking of my week away immediately after the race. Neither of us in top form but he was just coming back.

Crossing the line I saw the clock. I had reached ground zero. Running 10,000 metres in 5.35s wasn't even half marathon pace. The result was probably the worst in 2 years and I found the whole experience pretty embarrassing if I were to be honest and frank. Yes, the time was very poor but that wasn't the most disappointing aspect. The most disappointing aspect was that I didn't turn up this morning. I definitely ran the time my attitude deserved.

T-shirt over head, trying to avoid as many possible. A needless 5 mile run to bring the torrid affair to a close. I guess the good results make up for days like these. Days like the Fingal 10km happen. It's bloody well guaranteed. I guess what sets people apart is how we respond to such performances. Only time will tell how I respond!

There is lonelier place to be at times than that horrid race day performance experience bubble. Its just running after all so I keep I insulate it from real life. Not that it doesn't p1ss me right off at times.......:D

You get what you put in. Running is a very honest sport, there is no hiding place; no teammate to take the blame for a missed tackle or that free kicked wide. With 10 weeks to go Amsterdam it was probably the kick I needed. I know I will be fighting fit come October.

Time for a week of relaxation, bad food and some wine and beer.

-w/u 1.40+ Miles
    -w/d 5.10 Miles Very Easy @7.42p/m

WEEK TOTAL: 62.15+ MILES

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Love the viewpoint after the 10k. With 10 weeks to go a race like that will give you the kick up the a&se nothing else probably could. Enjoy the beers man.

Monday 24/7

60 Min Easy
    -8.40 Miles @7.11p/m

A nice few miles around rural Sigo, licking my Fingal wounds with each passing stride........

Arranmore, County Donegal

Perhaps the toughest, yet most enjoyable, place to run yet encountered in Ireland. The roads, with savage climbs and punishing uphills, really broke the monotony of city running in Dublin. Every run felt like a trip to the gym for the legs! In so many ways, running bliss. Given that our accommodation was perched on the side of this jagged rock on the Alantic Ocean, it did mean a 300+ ft climb from the main road over the span of a kilometre. Each climb was rewarded with spectacular scenery. Arranmore is a real must. In addition, it has 6 pubs and the only island nightclub in Ireland :rolleyes: As always in the case with a trip away, there was a compromise to be had. Arranmore has without doubt some of the worst food imaginable. Think of Ireland back in the 1980s only worse! I am always reminded of this Dylan Moran quote when it comes to Irish and British 'cuisine': "What d'ya mean there's no fackin' chips, I come ere on a plane (ferry :D), you $%^&! I've got children ere, what am I 'spose to do with this fackin' tomato fiasco."

Chips, chips and yes, more chips!

The advantage of having a coach really came into it's own this week. He told me to keep it easy, relax and forget about the recent race. The plan this week was to merely tick over and come back ready and hungry. I did seriously consider taking a few days off, especially given the downward curve I was most definitely on. He advised me to run easy, no pressure. As the Chinese proverb says: 'Talk doesn't cook rice'. The only way to get out of my running created hole was to keep running; a bit smarter and with a bit less expectation. I only aim to peak twice a year so weeks like these are important in the overall picture.

Tuesday 25/7

9 Miles Easy @7.07p/m

Hills?! Shock to this Dublin Runner!

Wednesday 26/7

10 Miles Easy @7.02p/m

Thursday 27/7

13.50 Miles Easy @6.42p/m
    -inc. fatlek session of 3x3min, 6x1min, 3x3min ~90 seconds recovery

One of the best runs of the year, circling the only flat piece of real estate on the small island! The quality work, covering 30+ laps of the local soccer pitch, was great run. I say fun because I wasn't chasing times of splits, just running hard around the much amused girls playing soccer.....who is the nutball?! (but as Gaeilge!)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1879452619

Friday 28/7

10 Miles Easy @6.59p/m

Back to Sligo.

Saturday 29/7

Long Easy Run
    -17 Miles @7.08p/m

A cracking run in the company of Second Captains and angry Sligo dogs. A long trip to Clare followed so i was keen to knock this one out early and on empty. Butter and butter type run.

Sunday 30/7

8 Miles 7.17p/m

A bangin' hangover and a return to the Big Smoke!

WEEK TOTAL: 75.90 MILES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

[Arranmore, County Donegal

Perhaps the toughest, yet most enjoyable, place to run yet encountered in Ireland. The roads, with savage climbs and punishing uphills, really broke the monotony of city running in Dublin. Every run felt like a trip to the gym for the legs! In so many ways, running bliss. Given that our accommodation was perched on the side of this jagged rock on the Alantic Ocean, it did mean a 300+ ft climb from the main road over the span of a kilometre. Each climb was rewarded with spectacular scenery. Arranmore is a real must. In addition, it has 6 pubs and the only island nightclub in Ireland :rolleyes: As always in the case with a trip away, there was a compromise to be had. Arranmore has without doubt some of the worst food imaginable. Think of Ireland back in the 1980s only worse! I am always reminded of this Dylan Moran quote when it comes to Irish and British 'cuisine': "What d'ya mean there's no fackin' chips, I come ere on a plane (ferry :D), you $%^&! I've got children ere, what am I 'spose to do with this fackin' tomato fiasco."

A place I always wanted to visit. I suppose I can still go, but would have to cook all week! Hope the beer was better ;)

Keep the faith Anto. Whatever you do don't panic, loads of time to Amsterdam. Keep injury free

Abhainn wrote: »
    A place I always wanted to visit. I suppose I can still go, but would have to cook all week! Hope the beer was better ;)

Keep the faith Anto. Whatever you do don't panic, loads of time to Amsterdam. Keep injury free

Cheers!

I'm too effortless cool to panic lol! I know how quickly things can change so plenty of time yet, no panic!

Yeah, the only problem is the food to be honest. It's shocking that there was no fresh fish to be found! I guess if you are handy you can take a boat out and go fishing. I think next time I will rent a house and stock up the car in Burtonport. Crackin' place for beer and a BBQ. Highly recommended.

Best of luck with the training!

Seen as I am here.

This post brings me up to date regarding training. With a trip London on the cards for the World Championships on Sunday, training will prove quite difficult. The 6.30am flight to watch the marathon was a late call. We had initially booked the Monday Evening session but the calendar threw up the two marathon races on the Sunday. It proved too difficult to turn down but unfortunately means working up North until 1am and driving straight to the airport. Now, that sounded ok at the time of booking but unless I go for a run at 3am that rules out Sunday training-wise! No harm.

Monday 31/7

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.27p/m
    PM: 5 Miles Easy @7.09p/m

Tuesday 1/8

9+ Miles inc. drills/strides

Session: 8×(400m, 1min rec), 3 min rec, 4×1m (2min, 1min 30sec, 1min reducing rec)

Target: 78-80sec (400m), 5.2x for mile efforts

Splits: 76, 77, 77, 77, 78, 79, 76, 77
    5.28, 5.31, 5.34 (long), 5.27

I took a quick look before work the previous night to look over the session. Grand, he says. I took a second look in the morning and realised there were 8x400m reps, not 4. Oh, how the session good harder! I took myself over to the cinder and knocked this one out in a pretty controlled fashion; tough but under control. Note to self: Get yourself over a real track!

PM

3.15 Miles Recovery @7.47p/m

The idea this evening was to get some recovery miles in at a slow pace. I wanted to do 5 miles so as you can see, I didn't quite manage that! The pace was 7.30p/m for the first uphill miles, too fast given the nature and reason for the run but I knew the pace would drop come the many laps of the local park on grass yet to come. Mile 2, all good. I got onto the grass and felt tired but nothing too bad. Quite soon though things went badly wrong. I have gone through rough recovery runs before, the ones that should be run-of-the-mill but turn into a slog. It's very unusual but it happens. Nothing like this evening though. The body began to seriously shut-down, even if the heart rate was in the 120s. I got off the grass early and thought I would run through it. I began to wobble of my feet and called a halt to the run a mile away from home. I was in bits! I sat of the wall for 10 mins, dripping sweat. I hit the wall! The body shutdown and for the first time EVER, I resigned myself to a slow walk home. What the hell was that?! :eek:

Wednesday 2/8

I left the house this morning with some amount of trepidation. It's amazing how one single run can knock your confidence! No need to worry though. The legs felt good and I took myself up and down Killiney, telling myself to look after myself a bit more, especially being disciplined with the diet.

Medium Long Hilly Run
    -14 Miles Easy @7.28p/m

Thursday 3/8

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.25p/m
    PM: 5 Miles Easy @7.18p/m

Friday 4/8

The option was there to race tonight but there was nothing within a 2 hour drive so I took the second 'easier' option of a 20 miles Progression Run. Easier, yeah right!

Long Run Progression
    -20 Miles @6.24p/m

An old school good old hard run paper. I was quite looking forward to this run and even went to bed quite early to get some quality preparation. The opening 5 miles were at an easy pace, even though each and every dog seemed to be out for some runner's blood! So began the quality work, starting with 3 loops of the Nature Reserve Loop (just under 3 miles) before a trip along the quays into the city and finally, the hard miles home.

The run worked out well, split as follows:

-5@7.03p/m
    -3@6.33p/m
    -3@6.16p/m
    -3@6.11p/m
    -3@6.07p/m
    -1@6.02p/m
    -1@5.55p/m
    -1@5.32p/m

The overall run was a positive one, even if one or two splits were a bit slow (perhaps wind related -bad). The last mile felt comfortably hard which proved a positive sign having 19 miles in the legs.

The marathon work has started, that's for sure! Love these types of sessions: a) it's mentally easier than running 20 slow miles and b) Value for Money - you get a 2 for 1, a session and a long run in the one morning. Boom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Fup me that's a monster session, kudos!!! The 5 miles @ 7.03 would be a struggle for me. Shows the clear talent some have for running more than others. Best of luck with the Amsterdam training, might come and spectate and shout you on.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Fup me that's a monster session, kudos!!! The 5 miles @ 7.03 would be a struggle for me. Shows the clear talent some have for running more than others. Best of luck with the Amsterdam training, might come and spectate and shout you on.

Ah here, I have zilch talent! Haha, just an extraordinary amount of good old fashioned stubbornness :pac:......

Hope to see you over there, hope all is well and good. Man, Amsterdam is expensive. I got 3 nights over there a few years ago in a quality place. The same place has almost doubled in price! Really looking forward to it, the race looks class.

Saturday 5/8

12 Miles Easy @6.59p/m

Sunday 6/8

In from work, 45 minutes sleep and a 6.30am flight to London. Planned no run day!

WEEK TOTAL: 80.15+ MILES

Work has meant me pulling out of the the National Half. Completely unavoidable but still annoying. Too many late nights/early starts!

Monday 7/8

11 Miles @7.04p/m

Crash! Bang! Wallop!! :eek:

Thankfully we were offered accommodation for our stay in London. There was one big downside; it was above my Uncle's pub and all that would obviously entail. We arrived on the Sunday eve, fresh from listening to the hurling on the wireless (radio app on the smartphone) on the banks of the Thames. How Irish! The night quickly descended into talk of GAA and 'it must be Galway's year, it has to be' sort of babble. All this meant a very tired and delicate run the next day around the busy suburb that is Wembley. So, 6 miles in and feeling somewhat alive once at last I took an almighty fall. The sort of slow motion run that had me internally say 'this is gonna hurt!' and so it did. I was one bloody hungover mess, with people noticeably winching as I plodded on by. Classy!

The night was spent in the stadium watching the athletics. A very enjoyable eve but the lack of Irish involvement left me somewhat detached. I won't even go into the crowd safety issues on leaving the stadium. At best inconvenient and at worst plainly dangerous.

Tuesday 8/8

10 Miles Easy @7.14p/m

Wednesday 9/8

15 Miles Easy Hilly @7.01p/m

Thursday 10/8

Session: 4x(2min hill, 1 min rec, 2min hill)

8.90+ Miles inc. drills/strides

I had pretty good company for this session, undertaken on the (in)famous corkscrew hill section in Sutton. I went into the session blind and was excited about tackling the session with the coach casting an eye over proceedings. Now, the session wasn't exactly as described above. The session was basically a run from the bottom of the hill to the top, with a minute pause inbetween. From there we recovered on the downhill section before repeating three more times. The opening section was a steady climb. That can not be said of the second hill section! It was a killer. Each time felt like running in quick sand. There was a very short stretch in particular that had the legs in a fair degree of trouble each time. A real attritional type session and one not for splits or 'knocking it out of the park'. I think the session would feel the same if feeling in great shape or struggling for form. My type of running.

A belter of a session.

PM

4.25 Miles Recovery @7.45p/m

Friday 11/8

9 Miles Very Easy @7.35p/m

With a very short turnaround on the cards, the plan today was simply to tick off a few miles before a nasty long drive to Clare for work. I needed all the rest I could get so taking a wrong turn meant an additional 2 miles. A nice enjoyable run all the same.

Saturday 12/8

20 Miles @6.13p/m
    -inc. 18 Miles Steady @6.09p/m

The session today was flexible to a very small degree. I discovered that I wasn't meant to run faster than MP on the progression long run the week previous, my error for not clarifying. I guess with all new coach/athlete relationship there has to be a period of flexibility, particularly as he is still ascertaining what I am capable and not (more importantly!) capable of. With time and sleep levels against me all weekend, it was decided that a long run session (vs. session and long easy run) would prove most beneficial. The 20 mile total was to be a fair clip, steady and consistent.

I checked the checked the watch after a mile, upping the effort to what felt like steady. The route took me out towards the Nature Reserve but for once I neglected it in favour of a trip into the city. I really should have planned this out a bit better! I checked the watch for the second time after 12 of so miles and after a spin along the canal. 6.09p/m for the steady work? I will take that! Now, I was obviously tired somewhat but the effort felt very controlled. I pointed myself towards home after the briefest of stop to throw a gel into me. I ploughed on up the Liffey only to (just about) notice some promotional people handing out some Club Orange Zero or something. Bliss! Half a bottle into me and on I went. The remaining miles ticked on by and before long I was on the the home-straight. 19 miles in, with 18 at steady, I eased back the effort to bring me home, somewhat tired but feeling good.

Sunday 13/8

8 Miles Easy 7.06p/m

WEEK TOTAL: 86.15+ MILES

Monday 14/8

11.50 Miles Easy @7.04p/m

Tuesday 15/8

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.18p/m
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.04p/m

I did it again. I fell.

This time there was no blood but I did a fair number on my knee on the PM run. While it didn't flare up after getting to my feet (yes, I paused the Garmin :rolleyes:), the knee did seriously protest that night. I am an idiot, it's official. Not that anyone needed proof to learn that!

No. More. Drama. Please.

Wednesday 16/8

This one hurt. Going through the pain threshold.....

Session: 5x2km @6.45 target time ~reducing recovery (2.30 reducing each rep by 30sec)
    Splits: 6.54, 6.50, 6.45, 6.48, 6.44

12.50+ Miles

I will take that!

The pain was quite bad this morning but on I went, confident it was an impact pain over an underlying injury. The knee loosened out somewhat but it did certainly hurt! It was great to be back on a real track and some company in the shape of Luke. The opening rep was a real feeler and each passing rep felt very controlled. A good session and one I could have easily have given up on. One more in the bag!

-w/u 1.30+ Miles @7.25p/m inc. drills/strides
    -w/d 5 Miles @7.57p/m

Thursday 17/8

10 Miles Very Easy @7.51p/m

Ouch! The right knee again proving quite uncomfortable.

Friday 18/8

-w/u 2.40+ Mile inc. drills/strides
    -Rathkenny 5km (4th - 16.39)
    5 Miles Easy @7.06p/m

10.50+ Miles

The main man wanted me to get out before the raced half next week. In truth, I was dying to get to a startline, any startline, before Tullamore. I wasn't fussed about time but did want to run well. I knew I was tired given the miles and a few tough sessions in the legs. I thought anything below 16.30 would be a good day put and although I didn't get that time, I was happy with the nights run.

I did something stupid. I will get back to that.....

I soon found myself in 4th place after the opening kilometre. I was sure one or two would drop back. How wrong was I! The 1km marker signalled the start of a mighty hill. A right killer. The leg reacted well but the lads made hay on the downhill. Game over. The course was definitely a challenging one, particularly in the windy conditions encountered tonight. The wind played havoc on the open main road before a lovely downhill section. The left turned has us turn for the run home and I found myself reeling in 3rd place. He ran well, holding the reduced gap and I crossed the line a bit annoyed for not upping the gears a bit more. May I was a bit more fatigued than I realised.

*The knee remained silent throughout the run. I naively (stupidly) took some painkillers immediately before the race. Even though this was a first for me, I will never do it again. Pain is there for a reason, even if you know you aren't injured. The OH later informed me that the painkiller I took 20 minutes before the gun was quite strong. I guess that was why I was feeling somewhat dizzy on the feet on the one mile from the car to the start. Not something I will ever repeat.

A really well run event and highly recommended. An honest course, superbly organised. One for next year.

Saturday 19/8

12.50 Miles Easy @7.07p/m

Sunday 20/8

Abandoned Session

Long Easy Run
    -22 Miles @7.03p/m

Expect the unexpected!

I expected a nice easy work engagement up North the previous night. The coach had me down for another 20 mile steady run; definitely a tough day at the running office with rest essential. Although leaving very early I barely made the call time. The venue was quite simply in the middle of nowhere! I really do mean nowhere. I had to call into 3 neighboring properties and even the friendly locally could barely directed me. Que a mad 30 minutes of traversing every single road/land and farmhouse on a 2 mile road! Nightmare! Anyway, got home home at 3.50am, set the alarm for 7am and struggled to make it to the Park given the Ironman. I finally reached the Park at half nine and immediately canned the session. Sh1te......

The opening easy miles were a right struggle and I forgot about doing 10 at steady I had as my fallback. The effort levels settled and the longest run in the cycle done and dusted. A shame as I was looking forward to the session. Three hours sleep and a very long hard run don't go well together.

WEEK TOTAL: 91+ MILES

A positive but certainly a mixed week. Roll on next week......I feel in great aerobic shape, perhaps the best I had ever felt. The trick now is to get sharp and add some more intensity and specificity. I am in a decent place with a fair number of weeks left to mess it up or get fitter. Time will tell........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Wouldn't call having me 50m behind on reps company on that session haha

Solid run in Rathkenny

• Advertisement

Wouldn't call having me 50m behind on reps company on that session haha

Solid run in Rathkenny

Made a nice change alright from you hammering me on the track all summer!!

Swings and roundabouts!

Monday 21/8

11 Miles Easy @7.11p/m

Tuesday 22/8

AM

8.10+ Miles Easy @6.31p/m

Session: 15x(400m @76-78sec, 100m jog recovery)

My last attempt at a similar session ended in a grim slog, finally throwing in the towel somewhat. The sheer volume, alongside short recoveries, makes this a very tough one for me; it plays on my weaknesses! The session itself was fine, even though the wind (again!) was a right 'mare. The cinder track really should be turned into an The National Indoor Cinder Track. I blame the government!

Splits averaged in the high 78s; slow but bang on the money given the conditions (weather and underfoot).

PM: 5.60 Miles Recovery @9.41p/m (pacing duties)

Wednesday 23/8

8.25 Miles Very Easy @7.35p/m

Thursday 24/8

5 Miles Very Easy @7.30p/m

Friday 25/8

AM: 2 Miles Very Easy @7.43p/m
    PM: 2 Miles Very Easy @7.31p/m inc. 30sec stride

Saturday 26/8

Tullamore Half Marathon

6th - 1.13:58

The race this morning was scheduled in to provide a decent gauge of form heading into the most important stage of marathon training in September. With the National Half consigned to a DNS, I entered Tullamore knowing it to be a good race on a decent course and field. I was very tired on both the Wednesday and Thursday. I knew myself I had possibly over done things slightly but confident of a decent run on the back on my strength.

Reaching Mile 11 signalled the beginning of the end of the race. With a mere two miles to go I knew the hard running was behind me. The only issue was my insole. Much like Kipchoge my left insole was trying to evacuate my shoe! I told my that with less than 12 minutes of running to cope with I could. if forced, run bare footed! The other issue was a positive; I was quickly catching Peter and a fellow runner just ahead. The insole really got to me and definitely cost me a bit of time. I will get back to that infamous left runner later :o.......

The race quickly took shape. In fact the race was regularly over in many respects with 2 miles covered. Here I occupied 5/6th place, with a leading group of four ahead, closely followed by myself and others. I knew at least one would come back to me. I was though already in a very rough place. I found the opening 3 miles extremely hard. The great thing about the half marathon distance is that you have the time and space to run through the bad spots. In saying that, I really did not expect the opening miles to feel as hard as they did, even if the the wind and gradient was against us. Now 4 miles in, I told myself I was almost a third of the way through. Man up! The sunshine and heat was really getting to me but on I plodded.

Miles 3-8 in the half are the lost miles I always find. It really can be no man's land. The key is to tough it out and hope for the best! Here I passed out an old clubmate and settled into 5th place. I was quickly overtaken by Peter and used him to pick up the pace and effort. I never looked once at the watch throughout the race so in that respect it felt like a proper race over the time-trial I had envisaged. It easier to race than race the clock so I told myself to hang on to Peter and get through the miles. I had no idea how slow or how fast I was travelling but approaching Mile 8 I was feeling a bit better about life.

Clap, clap, clap.......(waits.......)...........

Now in 6th, I could see up to 5 place. My concern was what was going on behind me. Every passing on a spectator meant a few words of encouragement and a small round of applause (thanks all). I always try to not look over my shoulder and every time waited for the sound of clapping after I had passed. Luckily I could tell there was no one in close proximity but by stealth I was overtaken, relegated to 7th position. He quickly caught Peter but did not go by him as I had expected given his decent turn of speed.

Mile 8......get to Mile 10.

With now only a parkrun to negotiate I upped the effort in an attempt to bride the gap. It worked. As mentioned above, my insole proved troublesome and caused a problem or two. The gap closed quite significantly but I told myself to bide my time and use the fast last miles (the opening uphill mile) to go through the gears. Unfortunately the two lads ahead had similar thoughts, especially the guy occupying 5th. Yes, the legs were tired but I felt very stronger. Certainly a lot better when compared to the opening miles.

I closed on 6th, passing him on the track with something approaching a kick.

1.13:58. 59 seconds off where I wanted to be. A strong run but a wee bit disappointing. However, I am on the upward curve bus once more so a definite step in the right direction. If only I had looked at the watch I would have PB'd. That will come soon though.

I will go back to that left insole now! I reached the startline after putting on the races 10 minutes previous. The left runner slightly ripped (I have them permanently tied up) on slipping it on. How odd I thought, especially as a very light but extremely robust runner they only had 8 miles on their odometer. The shoe didn't feel as comfortable as the right either but I though that perhaps a stone may be stuck or something; an easy fix on the line or so I thought! After a few handshakes and 'howiyez' I finally looked down. Oh for the love of God......you've really outdid yourself this time! While the right was a picture of cleanilness and perfection, the left shoe was part of the pair thrown in the boot to be put in the recycling. It was in a bad way! I looked at the sole and I could have put my finger through it was that thin and perished. What a fook up to make! No time now. Time to run. Ah sh1te........:mad:

-w/u 1.25+ Miles
    -w/d 4 Miles @7.07p/m

=18.35+ Miles Total

Sunday 27/8

Long Easy Run
    -16.25 Miles @7.12p/m

WEEK TOTAL: 75.50+ MILES

Jaysis - your pre race prep never fails to deliver!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

I am half convince he forgot he was racing judging by a phone conversation I have

13 min to race - DublinRunner - "xXx xx xXx"
    11 min to start time - Me "Should you not be on the start line at this stage"
    "........................"

You'd think I know better at this stage! Thing was, we arrived very early. No excuses! Now, I did arrive at the line with plenty to spare but unfortunately I was wearing odd shoes........:rolleyes:

Anyway, fail to prepare, prepare to fail. I have taken the nonchalant approach to races to the extreme. This probably led to a tougher than expected opening few miles. I just wasn't switched on. A half marathon is quite a distance but it still goes by in a blink of an eye. I thought I could run into the race but guess what, I couldn't!
    I am half convince he forgot he was racing judging by a phone conversation I have

13 min to race - DublinRunner - "xXx xx xXx"
    11 min to start time - Me "Should you not be on the start line at this stage"
    "........................"

I was busy trying to google 'coffee near me' for a pre-race kick up the ar$e/double espresso hit :P.......I think it's very fair to say that the lack of caffeine led to a non-PB run!! Haha.......

A much needed easy two days. Takin' easy, easy. Just four more weeks, time to peak (or least continue on putting one tired foot infront of the other tired foot!)

Monday 28/8

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.35p/m
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.14p/m

Tuesday 29/8

12 Miles Easy @7.26p/m

Wednesday 30/8

I really am having no luck!

Session: 16x(200m hills @3k-1m, 200m jog down rec)

8.50+ Miles inc. drills/strides

Up early(ish) to get this one done by 9am. The idea behind the session was strength/speed session, keeping in mind the effort of the previous weekend. So, 3 almost 3 miles in and feeling awake after my banana and espresso, I stopped briefly to tie the shoelaces. Down I went only to see a husky come straight for me and not in the friendly manner either! Normally dogs keep their distance but today my dog friend was having none of it. I had to fend him off somewhat before sprinting away. A combination of him at my legs and me going sub 4 minute mile pace meant me hitting the ground hard. Another tumble, another bloody mess! I made my escape before composing myself around the corner! Covered in blood from the arm to the ankle I forged on and did the session. Plain stubbornness on my part. Part of me knew I needed to get it done before the pain and swelling increased. I was correct in that regard.

Up and down, up and down........

It turned out to be a crackin' session in the end; working hard, especially at the end. You always feel like a bit of an idiot doing these types of session on busy public roads! Up and down, up and down........:rolleyes:

Stupid aggressive dogs......:eek:

PM

8 Miles Very Easy @7.43p/m

I needed to get from Rathmines so I took me and my swollen hip across the Southside. I won't lie, this one hurt. I was happy that I wasn't doing damage to myself but boy, the hip hurt.

Thursday 31/8

AM

6 Miles Very Easy @7.36p/m

The pain subsided quite a bit but still quite sore. I'll keep an eye on it.

PM

6.50 Miles Very Easy @7.21p/m

Pain level going in the right direction. Thank fook......I still have one bruised and swollen hip though.

Friday 1/9

9.25 Miles Easy @7.43p/m

Ah, that feeling we all take for granted. What's that feeling you ask? The feeling of (almost) running pain free! Time to plan for the weekend now, hopefully going long on the Sunday if the body hold itself together. If..........

Saturday 2/9

6 Miles (no watch)
    -inc. 3x30sec strides @5km effort

This was one hot sweaty mess! Not a good look. With the watch dead, I took myself down to my 3 mile marker and retraced my steps. Exciting stuff, not. Great to see see so many out training. Always noticeable in the lead up to DCM.

Sunday 3/9

Long Steady Run
    -Mondello Marathon (2.46:38)

I wanted to go long and steady before Amsterdam, much like when I ran Tralee before Rotterdam a few years back. The coach gave me the go ahead after a few days deliberation and off I went to County Kildare, pretty tired after a late work night and an awful nights sleep. Normally the day before any race I try to do as little as humanly possible but with this a training run, I was happy to go into it a bit fatigued. In a way that served a great purpose. Now, I was only allowed to toe the line because the race today was on a lapped course. I think I said Dingle or another country race he would have shown me the red card! The great thing about it being a lapped course was that if not feeling it I could hop off the course close to the car and not in the back end of Monaghan or such, 8 miles away from the car and safety! The only problem was that it was a lapped course. 12.5 laps!

The aim this morning was to get home in one piece and watch Galway do what they needed to. Thank heavens it all worked out! I quickly settled into a rhythm and held it, after starting off a tad bit quick. The lap itself was very good, with a few nice hills on perfect tarmac (a nice change in Ireland!). Before long I was on lap 8 and after a bit of encouragement (and slagging!) I knew I was going to complete the distance. I tried to ease back on the tempo somewhat but the legs were stuck on automatic. Lap after lap, bend after bend. I quickly found myself on the penultimate lap. Here, I was definitely tired but stubbornly strong. You always respect the distance; be it a 5km, half or marathon. You really do learn that after a number of years lacing the runners. I never take anything fro granted on the course, especially over the marathon distance. Anything can happen! The penultimate lap was a bit of a slog as I knew the last lap would look after itself.

In the end I really think I struck the right balance and ran the distance well. These types of runs can be the most beneficial but equally, the most counterproductive heading into the raced marathon the following month.

A good mornings work.

Gaillimh Abú!!

WEEK TOTAL: 94.50+ MILES

Next target - Charleville Half Marathon

Congrats on the win! Nice Brucie bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

someone asked was ur name Pat Hunter....must of been the announcers accent

Congrats on the win! Nice Brucie bonus.
    Rockyman7 wrote: »
    someone asked was ur name Pat Hunter....must of been the announcers accent

Pat Hunter........I have a sneaky feeling that name may stick! :) Hopefully the top 200+ or so lads and lasses decide to give the marathon next month a miss :D.......

• Advertisement

Monday 4/9

AM: 6 Miles Very Easy @7.43p/m
    PM: 6.25 Miles Very Easy @7.32p/m

Tuesday 5/9

AM: 7 Miles Very Easy @7.34p/m
    PM: 5 Miles Recovery @8.06p/m (pacing)

So, that was the two days allowed to recover from the long steady run. Sure, I was tired and a bit sore, that was to be expected. I was back to myself by Tuesday afternoon and was presented with the option of doing the session on either the following day or allow an extra day and undertake it on Thursday. Wednesday was the decision........

Wednesday 6/9

Evil Pyramid Session! 1mile@HM, 4x200m, 2x400m, 800m (hard), 2x400m, 4x200m, 1mile@HM ~1min recovery (took 2.30 after 800m)

14+ Miles -inc. drills/strides

1mile@HM: 5.33
    4x200m: 36, 34, 36, 34
    2x400m: 73,73
    800m (hard): forget to time!
    2x400m: 72, 74
    4x200m: 36,36, 36, 33
    1mile@HM: 5.30

You can spot the wind assisted/impacted reps! Felt surprisingly good throughout but took a bit of extra time after the hard 800m to fix the watch (and myself!). I was in a heap after the 1st lap of the last 1 mile HM effort. Lap 2? Out on my feet. Looked down to see I was travelling at just over 5 min pace. No wonder! Settled from there into a nice rhythm thereafter. All good. Feeling 'fooked but strong' aka approaching decent marathon shape!

I suppose the key difference I am finding this cycle is that I am keeping up the speed sessions (compared to the Magness schedule etc.) much later into the training programme. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Speed, or the lack of it (!), is my real weakness so I believe the approach will work. Rather than work at 'MP', we are working either side of it, not honing in on it. It's an approach I would personally find too hard to undertake under my own initiative, possibly lacking the real confidence to do so. Most importantly though, I am really enjoying the process, no matter the result. The result does matter though :D........

Advertisement