Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making every mile count

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

blockic wrote: »
    If it was me...I'd leave Tralee. (See what I did there ;))

You could leave your marathon in kerry rather than rotterdam.

Savage run today, very impessive. well on target and it would be a shame to overcook it.

Thanks, quite happy! Disappointed I started too fast but you live and learn!

That's exactly how I feel at the moment. Running a marathon (no matter how slow) will take a lot out of the body. I am yet to be convinced. Not to mention the hassle of travelling down there etc.....although I am sure it's a lovely place :) I know exactly what you mean about overcooking it. I ran Athlone 3/4 a month out from Dublin @MP still not sure it helped or caused me trouble in the marathon (cramp). Although I did hit my target.

Time to play (and run :)) smart...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Agree with Blockic, choose your next 'race' carefully.
    That said, your coach should know you enough!

Agree with Blockic, choose your next 'race' carefully.
    That said, your coach should know you enough!

That is very true, thanks. Part of me wants to race every weekend but the other realises its the main race that counts. 26.2 miles next Sunday (no matter what pace) seems counterproductive at the moment. Think my decision is made....

Monday 03/02
    8.75 Miles Easy @7.09p/m in 1.02:38

This one is pretty hazy in the memory. Complete autopilot. Just one to tick off and move on. Legs were strong but by God they were tired.

Tuesday 04/02
    80 Minutes Easy
    -10.95 Miles Easy @7.19p/m in 1.20:02

Somewhat back to normal. I think the stretch of road along the Quays towards the Samuel Beckett Bridge is now my favourite night time run. Hard to beat on a cold crisp night. Made a nice change from the miserable conditions in Bohermeen (the pics aren't the best :)). Tuesday normally means a track session but I decided against. I saw no benefit in risking a hard session on battered legs.

Wednesday 05/02

AM

50 Minutes Easy
    -6.81 Miles @7.19p/m in 50:06

The body is recovering well from Bohermeen. Judging by the general fatigue on Monday and Tuesday, the race took a fair bit out of the body. This is good as it indicates I ran the race hard and pushed myself. On further reflection though, I think there may have been another 40-50 seconds in me on the day. Thoughts of hitting 1.15:xx this year briefly entered the mind.

The Tralee Marathon closed for registration on Sunday so that almost certainly rules it out (unless something magic happens :)). This may be for the best but I wonder. I know some would think running a marathon (MP+25sec) four weeks out from your goal marathon is mad (and I can see why) but if we all religiously followed the plans of P&D, Daniels etc that wouldn't make for interesting logs now, would it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Superb run on Sunday, didn't see you on the day but all that work paying off and big PB, you're well on target and think you're right to revise it, you can go quicker. My legs are feeling it too now, have a cold today from all that standing around in the wet but worth it :)

Just on your point above, for my first marathon I ran 25 miles of the marathon course 4 weeks out at MP+25sec, ended up nipping under 3 hours as planned and I think it was that run that gave me the belief I could do it. But as you say we don't need to be religiously following all these plans, it worked for me doesn't mean it will for others, you've got to trust your gut most of the times and weight up the cost v benefits. Good luck with the next few weeks!

• Advertisement

jebuz wrote: »
    Superb run on Sunday, didn't see you on the day but all that work paying off and big PB, you're well on target and think you're right to revise it, you can go quicker. My legs are feeling it too now, have a cold today from all that standing around in the wet but worth it :)

Just on your point above, for my first marathon I ran 25 miles of the marathon course 4 weeks out at MP+25sec, ended up nipping under 3 hours as planned and I think it was that run that gave me the belief I could do it. But as you say we don't need to be religiously following all these plans, it worked for me doesn't mean it will for others, you've got to trust your gut most of the times and weight up the cost v benefits. Good luck with the next few weeks!

Cheers, quite happy. Brilliant run yourself. Really enjoyed reading the report. All the training is showing.

The result has helped focus the mind and close in on a potential marathon time. I set out with the goal of sub 2.50 but after talking to a good few people, I think that would be a softish target now. The result has me on course for a 2.45 but that may be a bit aggressive. But in saying that, a 1.23 first half and a 1.22 second half no longer looks daunting. I hope to further improve over the next month but realistically, the gains made will be small.

I would now love to run the marathon next week as a training run.......of course that could be down to the fact the deadline has passed and it's no longer an option!

Keep up the great work. Brilliant stuff.

Thanks yeah I was pretty happy with it and better than I expected only 2 months back into it. Mr.McMillan has me on course for a 2:52 marathon (generally a decent ball-park calculator) so I think I'm about where I wanted to be at this stage. As you say, gains will be small over the next month but I reckon I can shave those 2 minutes off ;) getting some MP miles in will be crucial.

I think you're well on course for a 2:45 so I reckon go for it, at worst you'll still go under 2:50 all going well.

Wednesday 05/02
    30 Minutes Easy
    -4.32 Miles @7.01p/m in 30:20

Shoe: Nike Lunarglide

Thursday 06/02
    9.5+ Miles
    -inc. 8 Miles @Tempo (5.45-5.55p/m)

Shoe: Asics Hyperspeed

I went out to the Phoenix Park to meet the coach for this run. We both eased into the run, progressively building into (my!) tempo pace. He was tired starting off while I felt very comfortable. Fast-forward 5 miles and I was just about hanging on to to his coattails, breathing heavily and clock watching. I love the Phoenix Park but the stretch up the North Road towards the Castleknock was tough going and a road I have never really enjoyed. He was flying at this stage and feeling good, how things change! Delighted to wrap this one up. Great to be pushed and see how a tempo run should be done.

Friday 07/02
    150 Minute Long Easy Run
    -21.05 @7.09p/m in 2.30:30

Shoe: Nike Lunarglide

The long run is very important at this stage. I am not a fan of knocking out 20-24 mile runs months out from the marathon but with only four long runs left the time is now right to increase the length. I ran this by feel, barely looking at the stopwatch. The first twenty minutes were pretty horrid with doubts swirling around my head of how I would get through another two hours of this. The legs woke up though and the run went well. The weather was perfect, except for a nasty headwind from Dún Laoghaire to the city. This may have been the first run in a while without a break for a long time. Not once did I have to stop for traffic etc. Nothing worse than a break in the rhythm of the run to complicate things. I will admit a bit of clock watching nearing the end though. The body was full of energy but the brain had enough and was already picturing a coffee and food for the last twenty minutes! Job done.

Decided that track sessions are off the plan until after Rotterdam. I was bit a bit disappointed to hear this as not only did I see a massive benefit from doing 400s, 800s etc, but the social aspect will be also missed. The reasons behind this decision are sound and will benefit my marathon training so that is what matters at this juncture. Instead of the session a shorter tempo will be introduced. This will mean two tempos a week, one long run, some hills and a lot of easy runs :)

Saturday 8/03
    15.05 Miles Various

AM

60 Minutes Easy
    -8.40 Miles @7.14p/m in 1.00:47

PM

50 Minutes Easy
    -6.65 Miles @7.33p/m in 50:10

Sleep. Run. Eat. Run. Eat. Sleep........and repeat! Getting into a nice routine now and the miles and days are ticking away nicely. Hard going but very enjoyable.

Sunday 09/03
    10.12 Miles
    -inc. 10 minutes @Tempo Effort

Nice solid short tempo effort to get the legs moving. I used the Quays for this run. Probably quite a good place to do runs at tempo pace as it's nice and flat, just like Rotterdam (apparently!)

WEEK TOTAL: 86.55+ MILES

I am very happy with this weeks training. The race on Sunday was certainly out of the legs, body and mind by Wednesday. I seem to have a decent capacity to recover quite quickly so if I decide to do Tralee on Sunday (yes, I got in!) it shouldn't take too much time to recover after. I am realistic though. I realise at this stage it's a question of balance and in a sense, risk vs. reward.

Monday 10/03
    14.47 Miles

AM

60 Minutes Easy
    -8.27 Miles @7.16p/m in 1.00:05

PM

45 Minutes Easy
    -6.20 Miles @7.16p/m in 45:01

Funny to see the exact same pace for these two runs considering I ran completely by feel. It's either consistent running or my easy effort runs are now stuck around this mark.

Tuesday 11/03
    12.90 Miles Various

AM

45 Minutes Easy
    -6.20 Miles @7.17p/m in 45:08

One second a mile slower than yesterdays easy effort runs? I may call this my recovery run so! Once again, this was by feel so not too concerned that my easy efforts have all clocked in (or even stagnated) around the 7.16p/m mark recently.

PM

6.70 Miles

-1.61 Miles Warm-Up
    -3.48 Miles @Tempo (avg. 5.47p/m)
    -1.61 Miles Warm-Down

The 5 rules of Running: Dodge, Dip, Dive, Duck and Dodge.

Decided to take this run down to the Grand Canal. Delighted with how it went. It was a progressive run so it ended up below 5.30p/m for the last stretch. No doubt it could have been faster but buggies, pedestrians and the odd dog conspired to make this a very eventful run! Not far from ending up in the water :)

The cracking weather really helps.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Hi DR,

When ya going to make the Tralee call? Are you going to cut back the later part of this week if you are going to run it?

Mileage is unreal on here..can only dream of that at the moment!

Nice to put a face to the name and not a bad coach to boot! ;)

My detective work here is done! :D

Hi DR,

When ya going to make the Tralee call? Are you going to cut back the later part of this week if you are going to run it?

Mileage is unreal on here..can only dream of that at the moment!

I replied to this yesterday but must have forgot to post! Er!

You'll be soon flying by me, don't worry! Tralee is confirmed now (slightly daunted but confident). Plan is easy running Thursday and Friday. I'll be tired heading into it but that's the plan/objective. I'll be sensible though. If not feeling great during the 'race' i'll ease off. I won't kill myself. The main goal is Rotterdam, not Tralee.

Nice to put a face to the name and not a bad coach to boot! ;)

My detective work here is done! :D

Haha! It's a small world. That was after a tempo run, I was wrecked!

Wednesday 12/03

80 Minutes Easy
    -11.13 Miles @7.12p/m in 1.20:05

Cracking weather. Cracking run. The great thing about Irish weather is when we do get decent weather you tend to really enjoy it. Could have run for hours in this weather but fortunately time restraints meant otherwise.

Thursday 13/03

AM

35 Minutes Very Easy
    -4.60 Miles @7.37p/m in 35:00

PM

35 Minutes Very Easy
    -4.65 Miles @7.40p/m in 35:41

Friday 14/03

60 Minutes Easy (with strides)

-8.30 Miles @7.18p/m in 1.00:38
    ~inc. 3x30 second strides @5km effort

The plan for the weekend is a short treadmill run tomorrow in the hotel before a long run at the Tralee Marathon Marathon on Sunday. I have no idea what to expect on Sunday. The idea is the run around the three hour mark, so planned MP +20-25 seconds or there abouts. I'm definitely anxious in anticipation but looking forward to it. The main thing is to get a good effort in and not get suck into pushing myself too hard.

It's a training run. It's a training run. It's a......:)

Solid run today DR. Hopefully it didn't take too much out of you. Don't celebrate too much tonight!! ;)

Solid run today DR. Hopefully it didn't take too much out of you. Don't celebrate too much tonight!! ;)

Solid run, solid night out! Thanks, happy. Didn't look at the results but clocked it at 2.59:51 so job done (thanks Ecoli, great job). Not too sore today so a few easy days running. Really challenging enjoyable marathon. But be warned! The hill at around mile 10 is basically a vertical climb. Sorry to the pacing group for the bad language when I saw it!!

Solid run, solid night out! Thanks, happy. Didn't look at the results but clocked it at 2.59:51 so job done (thanks Ecoli, great job). Not too sore today so a few easy days running. Really challenging enjoyable marathon. But be warned! The hill at around mile 10 is basically a vertical climb. Sorry to the pacing group for the bad language when I saw it!!

Saturday 16/03
    4 Miles Very Easy (treadmill)

Really not feeling great all day. The legs felt pretty tired. Taper madness I guess.......:)

Sunday 17/03

Long Run

26.2 Miles

Tralee International Marathon

2.59:49 (6.52p/m)

10th Position

I received a call not long after the Bohermeen Half Marathon to congratulate me on a good run off the coach. No sooner had he stated his happiness with my run he mentioned the Tralee Marathon in two weeks as the next race. I really only decided to do the race last Monday, after carefully considering the pros and cons of undertaking 26 miles at a decent clip in the middle of training. I was hesitant, no doubt. Maybe even scared. Scared at the thought of a bad run, collapsing at mile 20 or just struggling to run a sub 3.10. Training had been going so well well I was worried that the marathon would compromise the goal marathon in April.

I was very anxious the day before the race. Many doubts filled my head and I struggled to come to terms with the fact I would have to run a full marathon in under three hours. After all, it was only a months ago I had to push myself extremely hard to go sub 3 in Dublin (after a 2 week taper). I arrived at the start line with one minute to spare :) I really didn't want to get caught up in the pre-race excitement for this one. I said hello to Ecoli (3hr pacer) and off we went.

The first 4 miles were pretty tough psychologically. Thoughts like...'How are the legs?', 'You're tired, you definitely are' and 'There is no way you can do this filled', filled my mind. I forced myself to concentrate. The plan was to run bang on three hours so I stuck to Ecoli and the pacing group. The course was a tough one, with many hills and pretty strong winds to complicate things. I soon settled and the miles nicely ticked by. The route was quite beautiful but the Barrow Hill at Mile 10 was a definite shock. I have never experienced such a climb before. It was short but extremely sharp. The group largely stayed in tact for the next few miles. It was great to have company and the miles flew by. The effort was comfortable and controlled.

After reaching mile 20 I knew I was in good shape and any doubts were firmly eradicated. I was in pretty good form and I started to really enjoy the run. The last 6+ miles were all about just bringing it home. The group really broke up in the last few miles, despite the extremely consistent pace. I would like to apologise to Ecoli here. The last thing he needed was me biting his ear off after 24 Miles! http://www.flickr.com/photos/francis-foley/13194312074/in/set-72157642433623904

The race provided to be a big confidence booster. I have taken back a lot of positives but also some things to improve on, like avoid drinking too much water etc.

A fantastic race, challenging but very enjoyable. A good night out was had after (last one for a while :() so I made the most of it.

The race also helped to flush out the cramp pains encountered during the previous marathon in Dublin. I only realised it on Saturday night but the pain of pushing through the agony in Dublin was still quite fresh and raw. I was quite paranoid of a repeat in Rotterdam.

A big thanks to Ecoli. A brilliant job on a tough windy course.

The long trip down to Tralee was well worth it.

WEEK TOTAL: 86.25 MILES

The legs have recovered nicely. A few days easy running to minimise any risk of injury before upping back the training.

Monday 17/03
    5 Miles Very Easy

Hungover and tired. Tripped, fell, stomach in shocking order with a brief run in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Tralee (What was I thinking??)

All in all, just horrible. Legs felt good though ironically! Last hangover for a while so I made the most of it....:)

Tuesday 18/03
    11.40 Miles Very Easy

AM

40 Minutes Very Easy
    -5.55 Miles @7.15p/m in 40:10

PM

40 Minutes Very Easy
    -5.85 Miles @7.06p/m in 41:30

Legs felt brilliant. Just have to conscious not to push it too much.

Just eleven days training left before a two week taper. A 10km in Dundalk on the 2nd of April might be on the cards as a sharpening race. I will see how the next few days go before signing up.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 19/03
    14.10 Miles Various

AM

40 Minutes Easy
    -5.60 Miles Easy @7.11p/m in 40:10

PM

60 Minutes Easy
    -8.50 Miles @7.07p/m in 1.00:30

Just building the miles. Introducing some quicker stuff later in the week.

Thursday 20/03

90 Minutes Easy (with 5x30 seconds strides @5k effort)
    -13.25 Miles @6.54p/m

Every easy run this week is somewhat quicker than usual. The effort is on the money so i'm taking it as a good sign that all is well.

Friday 21/03
    16.30+ Miles Various

AM

11+ Miles

5x2 Miles @HM Pace (5.46p/m)
    ~2 Minute Recovery

After many days of pounding the roads the body and mind needed a break, so I took this session down to the treadmill. 5.46p/m felt about right effort-wise.

A much needed swim after. Bliss.

PM

40 Minutes Recovery
    -5.30 Miles @7.42p/m in 40:46

Saturday 22/03
    70 Minutes Easy
    -9.55 Miles @7.21 in 1.10:15

The weather Gods conspired to make this run a real b!tch! The morning started out nice before a monsoon arrived on the East coast. My choice of shorts and light t-shirt made me look like a right idiot.

Sunday 23/03
    Long Run
    -20 Miles @6.46p/m in 2.15:20

A beautiful day to run with good company in the form of TRR, Krusty and KU. Always great to run with people considerably better than yourself.

The pace flirted mostly around the 6.50p/m for the first 16 miles before dropping into the low 6.30's after Krusty departed (coincidence? :):)). TRR chose a challenging route, taking in Knockmaroon Hill (the notoriously hard Rotterdam Marathon hills should be a breeze now ;)). The pace for the last few miles dropped considerably, I think mainly due to us wanting to get this one dusted off.

A thoroughly enjoyable run. Really fantastic to see so many out running today in the Phoenix Park.

WEEK TOTAL: 89.6+ Miles

Disappointing week. Really gutted to not reach my target of 90 miles. I guess there are still 3 hours left in the week to run the .4 of a mile needed :eek:!!

One week left of full on training before a two-week taper. Excited.

Monday 24/03
    11.05 Various

AM

40 Minutes Very Easy
    -5.30 Miles @7.34p/m in 40:03

PM

40 Minutes Easy
    -5.75 Miles @6.58p/m in 40:03

The easy runs are slowly getting faster. The effort has remained the same as before so I will take it as a positive sign.

Tuesday 25/03
    14.65+ Miles Various

AM

30 Minutes Easy
    -4.25 Miles @7.16p/m in 30:50

Just a leg waker before the club session later.

PM

-2 Miles Warm-Up
    -10x400m in 72-74 seconds (1 rep was 75) with 60 second recovery
    -4 Miles Warm-Down

This was definitely the last speed session before the marathon. Felt very strong throughout. It was great to get legs ticking over.

Wednesday 26/03

90 Minutes Easy
    -13.00 Miles@7.09p/m in 1.32:55

Felt a bit tired setting out on this one but like always, once I got going the miles quickly flew by.

So, nothing to report really! Just getting the miles in and trying to look after the body. At this stage the work is mostly done and with every run there is more to lose than gain (if that makes sense :)).

The only dilemma now is whether or not to check-in an extra bag....life is tough ;)

...and buy a new pair on Cloudracers for the race (somewhat important!!)

Thursday 27/03
    15 Miles Various

AM

45 Minutes Easy
    -6.40 Miles @7.09p/m in 45:47

PM

60 Minutes Easy
    -8.60 Miles @7.12p/m 1.01:55

Just one of those perfect runs. Postponed the tempo until Friday as time was against me so an hour easy was the alternative. Very little point forcing out a tempo when under such time pressure. Really enjoyed this one. Didn't want it to stop :pac:

Friday 28/03
    14.22 Miles Various

AM

30 Minutes Easy
    -4.22 Miles @7.10p/m in 30:18

Up and out before I could even re-consider think. A good leg shaker before the tempo later.

PM

10 Miles
    ~inc. 7.20 Miles Tempo in 40:30 (avg. 5.35p/m)

Like all treadmill runs, it reads better than actually was. The effort was the main thing (comfortably hard)m so I was delighted to get this under the belt. Even with a decent gradient, I would estimate the pace @5.45p/m or so on the road.

The week has been going very well. I feel like I am coming into (please God :)) a good bit of form and hopefully peaking at the right time. Interestingly, I am not as tired as I would expect at this stage. Part of me thinks the body has finally given in and has stopped complaining!

Making it look too easy DR, looks like you're in seriously good form, almost there now keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

You're in great form. No doubt going to have a great race.

How are you finding the doubles? Did they come easy to you or had you to break them in, so to speak.

Also, the cloud racers, have you worn them yet. Interested to see how you get on with them. Still uncertain about them, but would love to try them myself ( I love a good fad, so I do :) )

Making it look too easy DR, looks like you're in seriously good form, almost there now keep it up

Thanks! Yeah, feeling good at the moment. Thing now is now not to over-cook it......two weeks to freedom!....and beer.....and the local take-away :)

You're in great form. No doubt going to have a great race.

How are you finding the doubles? Did they come easy to you or had you to break them in, so to speak.

Also, the cloud racers, have you worn them yet. Interested to see how you get on with them. Still uncertain about them, but would love to try them myself ( I love a good fad, so I do :) )

Ah thanks.

Doubles suit me, no doubt. The morning run usually starts out pretty horrible to be honest but once you get going its fine. I find it really helps with recovery and the evening run feels so much easier (and enjoyable). Yeah, broke them in gradually. It really can't be rushed.

Really like the Clouds! Light but supportive. Personally, they fit me like a glove, feel great. Annoyingly squeaky in the wet (can be quite bad) and annoyingly expensive but the previous pair have 450 plus miles with plenty of life left, so they do last.

Brilliant training. You are in for a big marathon.

Saturday 29/03
    10.67 Miles Easy @7.09p/m in 1.16:15

The usual ten mile run. This is the one route I will really miss when I move out.

Sunday 30/03
    21+ Miles LSR @7.22p/m in 2.34:48

Great to meet up with Ecoli and DrQ for this one. The miles always tick by that much quicker with company. The plan was to keep this easy enough. I was conscious not to over do it and stay within my comfort zone. Although tired, the run went well with DrQ showing me show parts of the Phoenix Park previously unexperienced.....(now, now....:))

DrQ departed on his merry way around mile 14 and Ecoli soon after at mile 17 or so. At this point energy levels and concentration levels were dipping, it was now a matter of knocking off the last of the miles and welcome the taper.

To finish, I sprinted up the grassy hill to the Papal Cross. My mother was quite religious so it felt right to wish her a Happy Mother's Day under the shadow of the Cross. It was a nice way to finish the last long run and the end of a very enjoyable and productive marathon training block. It wasn't planned but I guess you do sporadic things at the end of a two and a half hour run to conclude an intense training week.

From here on in it's all about management of training, diet and rest. I am confident that I have thrown my all at training over the last few weeks and months. I believe myself to be a better runner and person for the hard work put in, no matter what the result in Rotterdam.

WEEK TOTAL: 99.59 MILES

Someone is having a laugh! Really thought I smashed the 100 mile mark this week :( Although tempted, I shan't forage through my training runs looking for the extra .41 of a mile (although it'd definitely there somewhere!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

To finish, I sprinted up the grassy hill to the Papal Cross. My mother was quite religious so it felt right to wish her a Happy Mother's Day under the shadow of the Cross. It was a nice way to finish the last long run and the end of a very enjoyable and productive marathon training block. It wasn't planned but I guess you do sporadic things at the end of a two and a half hour run to conclude an intense training week.

No more Rocky DVDs for this young man :D

ecoli wrote: »
    No more Rocky DVDs for this young man :D

I was thinking the exact same thing after!! I must have looked like a right idiot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You really are in cracking shape. Whatever about the result in Rotterdam, the hard work has definitely paid off and you've shifted up a level. Enjoy the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to hearing how Rotterdam goes.

You really are in cracking shape. Whatever about the result in Rotterdam, the hard work has definitely paid off and you've shifted up a level. Enjoy the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to hearing how Rotterdam goes.

Thanks. Good to run with you last week. I am unusually calm about the race. What will be will be! Cheers

Monday 31/03
    5.30 Miles Very Easy (no watch)

Decided to take today nice and easy. The body felt good but I still decided to take the prudent approach and not risk more miles. It's all about ticking over and keeping sharp from here on in.

Month|Days Run|Miles Run|Daily Average|2014
    January|31/31|347.80|11.20|347.80
    February|28/28|309.20|11.04|657
    March|31/31|389.29|12.55|1046.29

Unbeknownst I passed the 1,000th mile for the year during the week. It's a pity as I could have savoured the moment!

Highlights: The Tralee Marathon, Bohermeen and my consistency (also know as stubbornness :))

The Dundalk 10km on Wednesday evening is still on the cards. I will make a call on the race that morning.

Tuesday 01/04
    5.30 Miles Very Easy (no watch)

Exact same run as Monday. Yawn.....!

Wednesday 02/04

AM

2 Miles

Just to wake the legs for unusually late start time later.

PM

1.5+ Miles w/u

Dundalk 10km

Time: 35:27 (5.42p/m)

Position: 7th

After averaging over 12 miles a day for the month of March, the previous two days of easy running gave the body a nice rest. It must be said that I am officially in taper mode. I am focusing on keeping the intensity up, whilst dropping the mileage. I will be honest in saying that this particular taper is a bit of an experiment. I do however have a brief outline of this and next weeks training plan. In essence though the next days session/run is mostly decided the night before. I am doing my best to listen to my body.

So, the plan setting out was to run 'comfortably hard', or as I say, '8/10'. The most important thing tonight was to keep plenty in reserve (yes, hold back slightly) and to get a good tempo effort run ticked off in race conditions. I felt 36:00 (pb 36:24) would be a decent time to target.

Conditions were wet and miserable. As the wind turbine on campus cruelly illustrated, the wind tonight would make things that bit harder. Cold and wet I set off, quickly getting into a nice groove and feeling somewhat great. Maybe it was the lack of pressure but the miles really flew by. The effort was nice and even and the cadence was quick with the arms pumping. I really feel some runners ignore the arms. For me, arm movement is just as important as leg movement but that's for another day.....

Approaching 4km mark I tucked in behind a runner. I think he got a bit annoyed by my drafting (I do apologise if you somehow read this). In reality, he was clipping away at a pace that suited me. I made two successful efforts to pass him but he responded twice by overtaking me. I gave in and let him fight the wind. As we hit the 9km mark I was feeling that bit too comfortable so I upped the pace and moved from 8th to 7th.

In truth I am very happy with the run tonight. It felt easy. I feel I am in low 34 minute shape at the moment. The goal this year is now 33:xx. That day can wait though.

Job done. Two days of easy running now.

• Advertisement

Great job man. I am impressed you managed to keep it controlled. When you were debating whether to do it I figured you wouldn't be able to hold back but going off the shape you are in at the moment I would agree you are definitely sub 35 min at the moment so this run looks well within you.

Just don't play the hero the next 10 days and make sure you give the legs a good chance to freshen up before Rotterdam

ecoli wrote: »
    Great job man. I am impressed you managed to keep it controlled. When you were debating whether to do it I figured you wouldn't be able to hold back but going off the shape you are in at the moment I would agree you are definitely sub 35 min at the moment so this run looks well within you.

Just don't play the hero the next 10 days and make sure you give the legs a good chance to freshen up before Rotterdam

Thanks. That's key bit for me. I am going to keep the mileage right down, a 11-13 miler on Sunday apart. I know some people will think I am a bit mad (Tralee Marathon, 10km) but I really feel that these were achieved quickly comfortably. Time will tell I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hmmm, just clicked with me now, wonder are you they guy I warmed up with with Gary and Darragh? If so, nice effort.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Hmmm, just clicked with me now, wonder are you they guy I warmed up with with Gary and Darragh? If so, nice effort.

Yep that was me! It's a small world, there ain't no hiding place :) Are you happy with your run? Pretty horrid conditions for your first 10k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Yep that was me! It's a small world, there ain't no hiding place :) Are you happy with your run? Pretty horrid conditions for your first 10k!

Small world indeed. Not my first 10k but happy with how I ran, not a great time but a steady effort and never went above 85%. Very best of luck in Rotterdam.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Small world indeed. Not my first 10k but happy with how I ran, not a great time but a steady effort and never went above 85%. Very best of luck in Rotterdam.

Sorry thought it was. Glad the run went well. Thanks. Best of luck yourself with training and the season ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Only caught up with this log yesterday.
    Your progression has been brilliant.
    Very best of luck in Rotterdam, although judging by your training you won't need it!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Only caught up with this log yesterday.
    Your progression has been brilliant.
    Very best of luck in Rotterdam, although judging by your training you won't need it!

Cheers! Hopefully the work is mostly done but as we all know it's what happens on the day that counts. Keep up the excellent training, great stuff.

Thursday 3/4
    45 Minutes Easy
    -6.56 Miles @7.00p/m in 45:54

Quite surprised to see the quickish pace for this one. I kept the effort easy but maybe not easy enough.

Friday 4/4
    8 Miles

Plan: 3x2km @HMP EFFORT

-W/U
    1. 5.30p/m
    2. 5.30p/m
    3. 5.46p/m
    -W/D

A bit of a mess this one. Keen to remove myself from the road I hit the treadmill. Plan was quite simple, 3 reps at HMP with 3 minutes active recovery. Current HMP is 5.59p/m. For some unknown reason I dialled in 5.30p/m to give myself my current 10km pace (5.42p/m). I only realised my mistake on the second rep as it was feeling a bit harder than it should have been. School boy mistake. The third rep was easy as I pulled back the pace (5.46pm), the way it should have been all along.

Saturday 5/5
    45 Minutes Easy
    -6.30 Miles @7.13p/m in 45:00

In the West for the weekend so I pushed the session to Friday to give myself an easier weekend. Great fun this run. On taking a wrong turn I got hideously lost. Luckily I got collected. Phewwwwww.......:pac:

Sunday 6/5
    85 Minutes Long Run
    -11.80 Miles @7.15p/m in 1.25:30

A run to get ticked off and move on. Every run now is just about getting through.

WEEK TOTAL: 52.96 MILES

Big drop off in mileage, for obvious reasons. Confidence isn't great at the moment. My legs feel tight and in particular, my calves. It's amazing the swings and roundabouts of marathon training. I really enjoy the training, however tired it makes me. Training fills me with confidence as I am working hard and seeing the benefits (most of the time). What I don't enjoy is the week of the marathon. God, it's a slog. Every step of every run is over analysed at the moment. I just need to get a grip!

Monday 7/4
    6+ Miles

Sandwiched this in between some coaching. Really not feeling too hot at the moment. This is going to be one long week!

Tuesday 8/4
    5 Miles (treadmill)

-1.5 Miles w/u
    -2 Miles @MP
    -1.5 Miles w/d

Felt slightly better today. Fantastic to get a good stretch, a core exercise session and a great swim in to relax the body.

The rest of the week will be pretty uneventful. Running will continue to methodically reduce in length with the only exception being a 2x800m @10k effort session on Thursday. I may throw in a stride on Saturday but that'll depend on how I feel.

At the moment I am struggling to convince myself that I can run 1 mile @6.xx, never mind 26+ miles. I know this is all part of the week build-up but don't listen to anyone, it doesn't get any easier! Well for me anyway....:)

The only thing of note are the small calf muscle twitches annoying me, very similar to the week before Dublin '13. Conscious not to drink too much coffee (very hard for me!) and to get in some extra electrolytes and salt (any advice welcome).

To be honest I am approaching this week like any other week, a sort of experiment really because for the last 2 marathon tapers I became quite strict and uptight about everything and I think it just compounded the nerves and doubt. My diet hasn't changed, usual amount of coffee, still having a treat if I feel like it and I'm treating the marathon like any other race. In the couple of days before I'll take that extra bit of water but other than that it's just another week (albeit with severely reduced milage), now we wait for it to backfire :P

I figure if I ran a 10 mile PB 3 weeks ago using a similar mindset, why wouldn't it work again. There was no pressure, I didn't do anything different than I would have on a long run and I overachieved my target. I get the marathon is a different animal to a 10 mile race but my mental approach should be the same so if behaving like its any other week achieves that mindset then I'm all for it.

I find looking over your training log will really help with the confidence, you've done all the work it's there in black and white and look at your race times, all indicators that you're able to do this. During the day at work or whatever, take a moment to visualise yourself crossing the finish line, see the clock ticking over exactly where you want it, anticipate that sense of achievement and it will happen.

To be honest I am approaching this week like any other week, a sort of experiment really because for the last 2 marathon tapers I became quite strict and uptight about everything and I think it just compounded the nerves and doubt. My diet hasn't changed, usual amount of coffee, still having a treat if I feel like it and I'm treating the marathon like any other race. In the couple of days before I'll take that extra bit of water but other than that it's just another week (albeit with severely reduced milage), now we wait for it to backfire :P

I figure if I ran a 10 mile PB 3 weeks ago using a similar mindset, why wouldn't it work again. There was no pressure, I didn't do anything different than I would have on a long run and I overachieved my target. I get the marathon is a different animal to a 10 mile race but my mental approach should be the same so if behaving like its any other week achieves that mindset then I'm all for it.

I find looking over your training log will really help with the confidence, you've done all the work it's there in black and white and look at your race times, all indicators that you're able to do this. During the day at work or whatever, take a moment to visualise yourself crossing the finish line, see the clock ticking over exactly where you want it, anticipate that sense of achievement and it will happen.

Thanks for that, great advice and much appreciated. You're right, it's just another race. Time to relax. I know I have done the work. I think whatever happens is meant to be. Can't wait for it now.

Hope last few runs are going well. Time to visualise......I might try to visualise my first pint of Guinness first though! :)

Don't worry about the calf. These niggles always crop up around this time but are usually a mental manifestation (sniffles becoming the bubonic plague etc).

The main thing now is getting yourself in the right state of mind. As was mentioned before looking back through your own personal logs is a good one. Often we remember the missed run or the session we bonked during, to the point where we usually forget or overlook the good work that has been done so it is no harm to remind yourself of the training that has been done and sessions you have nailed.

You are in great shape man. Remind yourself that a your marathon began before Christmas, Sunday is just crossing the finish line. The work is done man now time to reap the rewards.

You are as strong as an ox without a doubt man and are probably in better shape than you give yourself credit for. Tralee probably took more out of me than it did out of you which showed me what kinda shape you are in.

Best of luck at the weekend

ya If you can't picture yourself crossing the line, just use a cold guinness, whatever works for you ;)

Week's going grand meself, just getting the easy runs ticked off. I wanted to get 6m with 2m @ MP done last night similar to what you did but shin was complaining so taking no chances, it's really just to remind my brain of the pace it's gotta run for 26+ miles but maybe I'll wait to shock it on the day.

ya If you can't picture yourself crossing the line, just use a cold guinness, whatever works for you ;)

Week's going grand meself, just getting the easy runs ticked off. I wanted to get 6m with 2m @ MP done last night similar to what you did but shin was complaining so taking no chances, it's really just to remind my brain of the pace it's gotta run for 26+ miles but maybe I'll wait to shock it on the day.

It'll be no bother to you. Definitely made the right call.

• Advertisement
Advertisement