Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making every mile count

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Thanks folks!

I write this, sitting on my fourth hotel room bed, waiting for my flight tomorrow night! I was due to fly last night but with events in Ireland, my flight got cancelled. Luckily I had a 5 beer tasting platter in front of me on discovering! A big inconvenience but you have to keep these things in context.

So, a near 2 minute PB. I am very happy to have gone 2.34:28 under a new coach, a new system and a very new approach. It was by far my strongest marathon run to date in terms of how it felt so with that, only starting with the coach 2 months ago, I for the first time think I am very close to making a big dent into my marathon time. I know I have the strength and stamina, it's now a case of fully trusting the body and adding some more speed! After all, for every 3 seconds a mile faster you run, that approaches nearly a minute and a half off your overall time!!

And yes, it was hot! A brilliant marathon, not as fast as Rotterdam but fast. I'm sure I will write up something when back.

We arrived late on Friday night, deciding to forgo the allure of the bright lights of Amsterdam City by staying near the airport for the night. The travel over was nice and relaxed, making it to our room by 11pm. What we didn't know was that it was to be the first of four hotels in total for the trip! The plan was to make our way in to our weekend hotel the following morning, taking in the expo along the way. That all worked a treat and meant arriving at our second hotel in the early afternoon, despite a chaotic day in public transport due to the Lord Mayor's funeral. Now began the wait. The day before the marathon is usually a long day, full of questioning and general touchiness (she really does deserve a medal of own having me as company!). Finally it arrived to dinner time which meant food. Food makes me happy. Very happy. With carb-depletion out the old fuinneog we took ourselves down to a local Italian called Spaghetteria West, an excellent cooler than cool restaurant. They say eat nothing new the day before the marathon but I just could not resist the black pasta with octopus. Marathon or no marathon, I had to order that! A place I would quickly recommend; delicious food, fresh and simply prepared (I sound like Gordon Ramsay!) The restaurant was full of locals enjoying their Saturday night. There was me in the corner, trying to enjoy by dioralyte loaded water instead of a beautiful glass of red wine!

I really had prepared like never before for this run. I had everything planned to military standards, nothing was forgotten or overlooked. I guess that's the advantage in now having experienced a number of foreign marathons - you know what works and even more importantly, you know what doesn't. I sipped on water, water with dioralyte and an energy drink for the remainder of the night. We managed to enjoy some awful comedy movie before setting the alarm for 6.20am. It's amazing the difference having some good company can make, I am very lucky. Unfortunately for Emma, she cannot say similar, I can be a nightmare at times!

After a quality sleep I was rudely disturbed my alarm. Without thinking I jumped up, got on the runners and did the lightest of 5 minute jogs around the block. I had company in the shape of revelers heading home after their night. Jealous! A quicker shower had me feel somewhat human again. The real advantage of that early morning jog was now felt, with the legs feeling ready for some faster running later in the morning. I found myself in near darkness, sitting at the end of the bed, shoveling some homemade porridge bread into me. A sad sight! I now had the luxury of an hours sleep before heading down to breakfast for a double espresso or two.

I was now ready but what was I ready for? I wasn't chasing something tangible like a sub-3 hour marathon or a 2.2x. I was chasing a time and performance in running no-mans-land. Sure, I was in good shape but I did find it hard to visual a time I would be happy to see on the finish line gantry clock. I have long since realised that I am firmly now in the 'diminishing return' zone. Was motivation or drive low? Not one bit. In many ways the closer I get to my very limited ability, the happier I am. I think I enjoy the process of knocking a second or two off, or gaining that extra place, over the big gains usually seen and made in the early cycles and years.

I arrived on the startline with nothing to prove to anyone but myself. I know that may sound self involved or even somewhat narcissistic but I was simply aiming to run a time that would bring a smile to my face. The was no pressure, no expectation. I wasn't running to place or to achieve a landmark time. Today, I was just running. I guess that will hopefully change over the next year but for this morning at least, it was me against the streets of Amsterdam!

The last week of taper went by in a blink of an eye. I was very strict over my diet, even having my sister shocked at my weight. When she offered lunch and I only ate an apple and yogurt she knew I was serious! I dealt with the absence of carbohydrates a lot better when compared to April. Do I recommend it? No. Do I think it's healthy? Not particularly. Is it bloody hard? Absolutely! Does it work for me? Not sure. Will I do it again? Yes, definitely.

Make of that what you will!

9.27am

The atmosphere was palpable. With a 'white' bib secured, I found myself standing on the track, in acres of space, standing behind the athletes contesting it for the win. The organisation was something to behold. When compared to Dublin or Rotterdam, I found the race a notch above in terms of race day management. It may have been an October morning but for all intensive purposes, it looked and felt like a summer morning. Stunning.

9.30am

BANG!

Let's do this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jaysus - is this going to be like Netflix - 1 update a week for the next 26 weeks?

Jaysus - is this going to be like Netflix - 1 update a week for the next 26 weeks?

I am just home - 48 hours late, a truckload of money lost on hotels (and in scoops!) and days missing from work......giz a few hours!! Haha!

It got so bad I thought I'd have to turn the old jeans inside out they got so rough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Thanks folks!

I write this, sitting on my fourth hotel room bed, waiting for my flight tomorrow night! I was due to fly last night but with events in Ireland, my flight got cancelled. Luckily I had a 5 beer tasting platter in front of me on discovering! A big inconvenience but you have to keep these things in context.

So, a near 2 minute PB. I am very happy to have gone 2.34:28 under a new coach, a new system and a very new approach. It was by far my strongest marathon run to date in terms of how it felt so with that, only starting with the coach 2 months ago, I for the first time think I am very close to making a big dent into my marathon time. I know I have the strength and stamina, it's now a case of fully trusting the body and adding some more speed! After all, for every 3 seconds a mile faster you run, that approaches nearly a minute and a half off your overall time!!

And yes, it was hot! A brilliant marathon, not as fast as Rotterdam but fast. I'm sure I will write up something when back.

Enjoy the PB and stop thinking about the future and your ultimate potential. That can wait for a few weeks. You could tear your hamstring or something and never run another PB. Best to enjoy them fully as they come. Milk it for a while, and then start thinking of the next goal.

Smashing run.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Enjoy the PB and stop thinking about the future and your ultimate potential. That can wait for a few weeks. You could tear your hamstring or something and never run another PB. Best to enjoy them fully as they come. Milk it for a while, and then start thinking of the next goal.

Smashing run.

Very true, sage advice. Thanks!

Trust me, I have learned the hard way so I know a few weeks to switch off, a chance to catch up on some missed activities and substances (kebabs and garlic&cheese fries before anyone asks!) is in order!

After a short jog from the train stop to the start line the legs felt nicely warmed up setting out. As soon as the gun went, I got into a good position, aided by the excellent starting position. Unusually for me there were no immediate thoughts of ‘WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DOING THIS AGAIN?!!’ You know, the train of thought that has you questioning your sanity, knowing the pain ahead. I already felt in a good place leaving the track, not even 200 metres. What’s the plan, I thought to myself. What is the plan? I told everyone in ear shot over the course of the week about the importance of getting into a group, having made a complete mess of doing so in April in Rotterdam. I was on the lookout for a group, preferably eyeing up the leading Dutch women, envisaging they would have their own pacer. I was looking for a bit of comfort, a bit of company for the poor lone Irishman.

First thought of the day: It was hot!

We entered Vondelpark and like a single man standing at a bar, I was looking for someone to dance with. Anyone? I spotted a group……..too slow. Move on. I spotted a female runner with a pacer/bodyguard keeping her from harm’s way. I latched on, following their every step. Lovely. I quickly realised they had slowed down so I made my move. After running through the incredible archway of the Rijksmuseum, I quickly found another group and latched on. Happy days. I am no longer the loner, I had company. We passed the 5km marker. I felt good, if a bit warm.

5km - 03:43 min/km (5km avg.) - 00:18:34

Ok, lads - it’s time to work.

After the 6km marker a definite group formed. It appeared to be a strong group and I was content. There wasn’t anything shared but there was obviously a stronger American runner chatting his way around the streets of the capital (it turned out he was a former 2.23 guy). I liked him but found his chatter a bit annoying and pushed on a bit when he said we were the 2.35 group. They must have liked me because they followed the tall Paddy. Unfortunately there wasn’t any group ahead, no pack to target. Should I have pushed on? Perhaps. I guess it’s hard to push on to the unknown and much easier to stay with what you know.

Second thought of the day: The course may have been flat but it sure was twisty!

Crossing the 10km mat with almost 25% completed, not ripping up trees but getting into a groove. It’s just the start of the race I reminded myself.

10km - 03:38 min/km - 00:36:44

Third thought of the day: I need the toilet!

From here on in I didn’t look at the watch. In fact, I hadn’t looked at the watch since the opening mile or two. One thing was annoying me, grating at me in fact. Unlike Rotterdam the cups did not have a foam top, meaning that you were lucky to get ¼ of a cup after most of it went over the top after grabbing it. I did my best but it was tricky. The U-turn (12.5km), as expected, was negotiated with the grace of a three legged elephant. We now hit the banks of the Amstel and in many ways, the mentally hardest miles of the course to possibly come. The group remained strong.

15km - 03:38 min/km - 00:54:54

We were now running into a strong headwind along the river. The running here was constant and relentless, with very little to break the monotony of putting one foot in front of the other. I was still in a good place physically and still importantly, still in a solid group. I was in good form, taking my second gel after the first at 8km. I put off the inevitable for as long as possible and snuck into the portaloo. I felt the pace had eased somewhat within the group so I picked my moment and did what I had to do! In hindsight that was a mistake as I really underestimated the wind and soon realised why the group pace had slowed. I was now 20 seconds back but with no need to panic I made it my mission to close the gap as efficiently as possible. I was now running solo and fighting the wind. A mistake for sure. The left turn ahead after the 19km marker signaled the crossing of the bridge and visiting the neighbouring bank of the river for some more riverside running! I was really hoping the wind would now help us all out and give us a helping hand. The gap was now down to 5 seconds or so. Good stuff, I convinced myself.

I knew I was behind my initial target at halfway but with plenty of running still to do, confident I could make up some lost time over the second half.

20km - 03:46 min/km - 01:13:42

Halfway - 21.1 km - 03:17 min/km - 01:17:18

The wind was now assisting us somewhat but without that headwind the heat really turned up. I caught the group here as soon as I did…….KABOOM! It blew up. Typical! Some hard running was had here as the sheer relentless of the section of course took its toll. The sun was now beating down and I began to really feel it. The American friend that I mentioned earlier had probably caused the implosion with a slight increase in effort and pace. He left the group behind, as well as his running buddy, creating a 20m gap back. I was now leading the fractured group, fighting the good fight.
    Boy, I was looking forward to getting off the river and some sheltered city running.

25km - 03:40 min/km - 01:31:37

Finally! We escaped the hardship of the river. I was now really looking forward to the 30km marker and the end of the ‘death zone’ of marathon running. The crowd support remained sparse but that was something that I didn’t notice at the time, only on reflection. At the 26km marker I was picking off the odd person, with my American friend ahead providing a very useful benchmark of progression. I wasn’t hurting but I didn’t feel I could up the pace. I was running hard and steady, nothing more. Here I joined by two runners running in tandem. Where did these lads arrive from? Are they even in the race? Who cares! Like a limpet I latched on and again looking back, they saved me. A hard left…..28km, 29km. Hang on in there! It now became very clear the lads were on a training run. Little did they know that they were dragging a man from Ireland called Anthony around the streets of Amsterdam for close on 6km. Heroes!

30km - 03:39 min/km - 01:49:54

The crowd support lifted, as did my spirits on reaching the 30km marker. I knew I was moving well but knew I wasn’t running at 100%. I was planning to up the effort at 35km and leave nothing behind. Perhaps I was much running within myself a bit too much. Perhaps I was too conscious, too scared to really go for it. I was back to solo running, again picking off the odd person with no one yet passing me.

I was now very much looking forward to the 36km marker and seeing Emma with a big caffeinated spiked drink in her hand!

35km - 03:40 min/km - 02:08:14

True to her word she was there and without even making eye contact I took the drink and gel. I was now in the groove; tired, hurting but not hurting very badly. I thought here about the pain of the corkscrew session and it made me realise I wasn’t faring too badly. I needed to make a move but without support, without many to chase, it proved hard. In hindsight, I just didn’t back myself. I should have rolled the dice and backed myself a lot more. With that said, hindsight and reflecting back in the comfort of a coffee shop……….I was now in countdown mode. A few little (tiny!) climbs now began to be felt.
    Passing the 38km mark meant retracing our steps from the opening kilometres. I now began to lift the effort a bit but the legs just couldn’t muster it up to any tangible noticeable degree. It was a great feeling to be running so strong so far into the race but it was disappointing not being be to blow the lid off the effort and pace. I was stuck in a gear, unable to vacate its stubborn hold.

40km - 03:40 min/km - 02:26:33

The finish was a thing to behold. The incredible stadium finish will live long in the memory. I passed out a number of athletes over the course of the closing stage, only being passed once. Finishing the marathon in a stadium was a new experience for me and what an incredible experience it proved to be. Magic.

Finish - 42.195m - 03:36 min/km - 02:34:28

Looking on the result objectively, a PB of close on 2 minutes indicates a positive result. Personally, I don’t think the time truly shows the improvement made if analysing performance solely based on the clock. I have come away from the result on Sunday very happy. After all, we as runners and athletes endure enough poor results, enough hard sessions, to know that ‘a PB is a PB’ and to enjoy it. That I plan to do! PB's become harder and harder to secure, that’s the beauty of the sport. That’s the reason I put on the runners over 10 times a weeks. I am not alone in that, so many do that and more again. I guess it comes down to dedicating yourself to a pursuit, a pursuit I personally am not very good at, and giving it everything you have.

I may never run a good race ever again or never PB once more. One thing is for certain though – it won’t be for want of trying!

The Amsterdam Marathon has filled me with so much confidence going forward. For that, I am extremely grateful.

ehhpqr.jpg

Amsterdam Marathon - 55th Place (2.34:28)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Well done, Flanno. Good race (and report)

This stuck out for me though:

"We now hit the banks of the Amstel"

A river made of beer? Oh Lordy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, Anthony, an excellent outing for sure.did you beat the loud yank in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Seeley Cup 10km in the plans this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

OOnegative wrote: »

Are you on commission?? :P

Are you on commission?? :P

Ah it holds sentimental value, first PB i ran under some young lads tutelage:D:D:D

Ah it holds sentimental value, first PB i ran under some young lads tutelage:D:D:D

Remember that kid alright, right ar$ehole. I think some grumpy old dad to be bullied him off of here :P

TBF looks like a great race would be doing myself only for the fact its same weekend as All Irelands

Not this year, I will be away. One of the best for sure.

I'm going to give the muck and grass a go before heading back to Rotterdam. I am currently 1,000 metres short of where I want to be over the marathon distance. It's only 1,000m, 2.5 laps of the track, just over half a mile. I'm edging closer, slowly :pac::pac:......I just have to be a small bit faster over the 42km but man, that's going to be hard!

Strength over Christmas - then back to it. I know the pain to come so no rush!

Dublin Intermediate XC

31st

In many ways I was very much looking forward to today's outing. Sure, it was to be a trip into the unknown being my first ever cross country race, but I was genuinely interested to see my result and placing on finishing. On paper the race should be one in which I am in with a decent shot of a good placing. Unfortunately for yours truly, races are not run on paper! My build up was not ideal; up early to work at the Jingle Bells 5km before a long trip up North to work some more. I hit bed at 2.30am totally wiped, with motivation at a low point.

I am almost 5 years running but to my eternal shame, I would optimistically guesstimate that I have ran less than 1% of all my miles on grass. Doesn't bode well for XC, does it?! :rolleyes: I am a road runner through and through. With that said, I promised myself and more importantly the club I would toe the line. I felt it was important to 'give something back' or to at least try and give something back. Running can be a selfish sport pursuit at the best of times but sometimes one needs to step back and do something you feel uncomfortable in doing.

My First Day in School.

I made my first mistake it not doing a course recce. Maybe I was protecting myself from what was to come! The start was subdued enough, with me becoming quickly fearful of what was to come. How to spot the road runner: it's the guy who almost falls flat on his face in the first corner! I was pushed back upright (thank you whoever you were!) Perhaps from that point onwards I began running with a bit of fear in my eyes. The race soon settled, with me overtaken by approximately 15 people. That was a new feeling for me. I just hoped my marathon strength may come through later on in the race. How wrong was I! The first of the four laps was a grueling affair; twist and turn, rise and fall, try not to lose a shoe, try not to fall over, try not to completely shame myself. I was aerobically in a good place but unable to get any faster. It was like I was running in mud......oh wait, I was!

Lap 2 was equally grim. I knew I had to finish for the club but the boy I just could not handle the turns (they would make a great bloopers video :D). Being a shade over 6'3'' doesn't really make the sharps turns any easier. To say I was like an obese elephant trying to salsa dance would be unkind on the poor animal! There was one particular right turn, very sharp with a very nasty rise, that had in all types of trouble. What the hell was that I thought to myself. I did not recall that from opening lap! The right turn quickly after had me almost at a standstill; no momentum, no technique! Car crash stuff :eek:. Lap 3 was somehow easier, perhaps because I had slowed. The two right hand turns were no easier and I may have well have walked around them. I probably would have been faster in doing so! I could see Luke and the lads extend their lead over me and wished them well......they where closer to the finish afterall. B1STARDS! :D Mistake 2 was using the shortest spikes possible. What a schoolboy error.

Lap 4 began and I was now well and truly in damage control. One or two athletes passed me like I was standing still on the turns; maybe I was actually standing still. I passed one soul on the last 200m and overtaken by one.

Being a 33.30 10km/2.34 marathoner puts me firmly in the 'average club runner' bracket. I think that an honest assessment of my current ability. One day I want to considered a 'good club runner' but that day is a fair bit down the track. While it's nice to place and do well in some races, it's also very satisfying to get your ar$e absolutely kicked in races. Seeing a runner on Sunday, almost a full half lap ahead of me, was quite humbling. He would be someone I beat on the roads, especially distances over 10km. I estimate he probably bet me by close on 1,000m metres.......over an 8km race! Cross Country is a different beast though - a different sport.

Am I disheartened by the race? Not one bit! If anything, it brought me back to reality and reinvigorated me. I am motivated from seeing others do well - that's where I want to be, I tell myself. I quite often look back to the Simon 5 Mile race. In that race I came 3rd but was completely outclassed by two good athletes. I can still see them ahead. I can still see where I need and want to be. That's motivation. I find it difficult to be inspired by worldclass athletes. Yes, seeing them do what they do is incredible to witness but it's not even vaguely tangible, not even remotely possible for a runner like me.

There's no shame in doing sh1te. I guess the my only regret is not doing it earlier. I fully recommend it to all.

Cross Country - I will be back!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Not looking too bad, Flanno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Fair play to you getting stuck in to the muck Anto. Coming from the roads, it is indeed a a blindfolded backwards jump into the unknown but It'll stand to you no doubt about it. This has been my first year giving the country a proper lash and I have found it to be a very humbling affair. These races tend to gently, no, harshly remind you where you really stand at a both a regional and national level. I've never seen such depth in a race like the national senior. It's a barbaric collision of all running disciplines and as I said, incredibly humbling to be running mid-pack amongst the savages. But despite getting mercilessly clobbered by the mud (and fellow competitors), you end up walking away from races with a tangible sense of motivation and a strong willingness to work even harder. You never regret toeing the line at XC. It's racing in it's purest form, nobody gives a toss about time or pace, it's all about who you beat and who can tolerate the pain most. One of the most enjoyable aspects of the cross country is representing your club and running for a greater cause than personal glory. Like you said, it's good to give back to the club and there's no better feeling than earning a team medal with your fellow clubmates. It's as close as we'll get to being in the trenches and getting a war medal for our efforts.

Like yourself, I feel more like a road runner too and I don't be expect to be lighting up the country courses but I still want to get better at it and I know it's all in the name of becoming an overall stronger and more rounded runner. I just see each race a chance to grow both physiologically an mentally. You learn a lot about yourself out there. You also learn a lot about cleaning your spikes after every race and how to shower properly. Well done on the debut and try get out there again as soon as you can and embrace the mud. It'll become your friend...eventually...probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

jebuz wrote: »
    It'll become your friend...eventually...probably.

The friend that you like despite the fact that all he does is rip the living piss out of you

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

davedanon wrote: »
    Not looking too bad, Flanno.

not a bit of muck on u...

Hello Log!

The Goal? Rotterdam.

Everything race and training session between now and then matters to varying degrees but only one race and distance really matters. I decided last year that I will solely focus on the marathon for the foreseeable future. It's the distance I believe I am best suited to and it's the distance I love training for and running in.

The coach and philosophy remains the same from Amsterdam last October. Last October I ran a solid race and ran a near two minute PB; it was the most comfortable I have ever felt in a raced marathon. I have no doubt that I can will run faster than 2.34, someone has to! I fully trust in 'the plan' and am fully confident that we can build on what was a successful build up to the Amsterdam Marathon.

Nothing new, nothing revolutionary - just good old fashioned honest running. I may not be blessed with natural talent or that killer competitive edge but I know I have yet to reach my limit. Bring it on!

Monday 25/12

Long Easy Run
    -20.25 Miles @7.00p/m

I needed to escape the madness of Christmas Day in Sligo. Go long Anthony, go long!

Tuesday 26/12

AM: 5km in 29.04 (pacing duty in Tubbercurry)
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.11p/m

Wednesday 27/12

10 Miles Easy @7.18p/m
    + 5.25 Miles 'freezing my a$$ off' @8.14p/m

I blame 'the Christmas'.

Ordering a BLT on brown and an Americano at 9.15pm was not how my bread-and-butter 10 miler was meant to end, especially after leaving the house at 6.30pm! Needless to say, I did something beyond idiotic! Arriving home after a long day (and night) had me in a post-Christmas flux. I was most certainly scattered.

Passing the 9 mile mark I went through the plan for the evening in my head: core work, catch up with some admin etc.....the boring stuff. It then struck me......I had no keys! For some reason, I had them in the car and with the OH now in Kildare, I was in all types of bother! Shiiiiiiiiiiite! I was bloody freezing during the last couple of miles so waiting for at least two hours in the cold was simply not an option. I called into a neighbour. Here he saw a very sheepish grown man asking to use his phone. Thankfully, he didn't blink at my running tights or pink gloves! It was now 7.30pm and she wasn't answering. Feeeck! I left a voicemail telling her of my ridiculous predicament and said, for a reason still unknown, that I would be at the Eddie Rocket's, Donnybrook at 9pm. I would then wait indefinitely......how did it all come to this?! I had to laugh. There was no other option.

I pressed the Garmin at ventured on to Donnybrook. I took the long way to eat up as much time as possible! I was again here in a predicament; with a session the next day I needed to run as slowly as possible but fast enough to remain warm. A tricky balancing act! I was beyond cold. The next 5.25 miles were grim, with the cold and wind freezing the hands. I resorted to running with my hands down my running tights. Ridiculous Anthony, ridiculous. I arrived at 8.40pm shivering. The icy wind had froze the hands but remarkably, standing still or slowly walking was easier than running. So began the indefinite wait. I knew she would get my voicemail but when was the question. I loitered around Donnybrook, hoping to remain discreet (hard to do when dressed head-to-toe in bright colours!)

Seconds turned into minutes, minutes turned into half an hour. By this point I had stopped walking and retired to the entrance of Ed's.

I convinced myself to wait to 9.30pm before making a decisive call on what to do next. Run to a friend or sisters? Call someone? Balls! Then a worker came out and called me towards him. I very awkwardly walked up to him. He then told me a 'friend' had called and told him she was ''on her way''. A 'friend', I thought?! She probably didn't want to admit she had me as a partner! I really could not blame her for that. He was a small bit of a hero and took me in. I began another wait before deciding to get some food. May as well I thought! So there was me, dressed in running tights, pink gloves, white arm warmers and silly white hat, sitting next to teenage girls having a milkshake. You couldn't make this stuff up!

She arrived.

Faith in Ireland and humanity resorted!

Thursday 28/12

11.25+ Miles

Session: 14x(400m @5km, 1min rec) 76sec down to 73sec

First few felt hard, with a cutting wind making the effort feel that much harder. Here it was great to have company, company drags you along when struggling. Then it all of a sudden got easier, as it usual does. With the legs now warmed up the paces started to go in the right direction, with the effort mirroring. The 60 second recoveries now felt very long (compared to the coaches usual 30 second non-recovery!)

Friday 29/12

9 Miles Very Easy @7.29p/m

Saturday 30/12

9 Miles Easy @7.20p/m

Sunday 31/12

12.50+ Miles

Session: 5x(2km @10km, 1.45 jog rec)

I could not face Kilbogget this afternoon so I pointed the car towards the gym. The session was a shade bit too comfortable come the 3rd rep so I upped the effort (pace and gradient) and worked towards making it 5, not 4 repetitions. By the 4th rep I was working quite hard and knew I had hit the sweet spot. The last 2km segment was a toughie but manageable.

WEEK TOTAL: 86.36+ MILES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great story. Fair play to you for doing a session the day after that ordeal!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great story. Fair play to you for doing a session the day after that ordeal!

All of my own doing so only myself to blame :)

The story at least breaks up the monotony of writing about easy run after easy run, with barely anything noteworthy to write about! It always makes me laugh that we engage in a hobby, a hobby that can take up a considerable amount of time, that can be so unmemorable in the majority!

Thank the man upstairs for podcasts. The latest one keeping me company being 'An Irishman Abroad'. The episode released for Christmas made the first 10 miles of my long run so interesting. It's the Enda O'Doherty episode. Such an interesting discussion and topic. There's over 100 episodes in the bank so great for marathon training :D........now where are my keys?!

All of my own doing so only myself to blame :)

The story at least breaks up the monotony of writing about easy run after easy run, with barely anything noteworthy to write about! It always makes me laugh that we engage in a hobby, a hobby that can take up a considerable amount of time, that can be so unmemorable in the majority!

Thank the man upstairs for podcasts. The latest one keeping me company being 'An Irishman Abroad'. The episode released for Christmas made the first 10 miles of my long run so interesting. It's the Enda O'Doherty episode. Such an interesting discussion and topic. There's over 100 episodes in the bank so great for marathon training :D........now where are my keys?!

Thats a super story...........the old "I had my hands down my tights to keep them warm....Your Honour"........classic.

Must look up An Irishman Abroad - I'm looking for something new - a break from Off The Ball & 2nd Captains is needed. I tried Serial last year, but didn't get beyond the 1st episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

*Bookmarks for post of the year award*. Jaysus, what a story! I thought it was going to end up with your hands frozen to your unmentionables.

Monday 1/1

How not to start a New Year......:eek:

Sick as a dog today. What started as run-of-the-mill hangover soon descended into a horrible day not able to eat. All I could do was sleep. This was no longer a hangover. Horrible! I barely ate. The other half grabbed her opportunity whilst I was asleep on the couch, waking up to Notting Hill on the TV. Fair play her, she pounced on the opportunity, spotting me at a weak point. I began to feel even worse after witnessing that, no surprise!

Tuesday 2/1

Medium Long Run
    -16 Miles @7.11p/m

A catch up of sorts today. Not 100% but well enough to carry myself around for 16 miles. A noticeable tightness/pain on my left shin though.

Wednesday 3/1

The day of two sessions.

AM

Aborted Session: 30min @MP, with minutes 20-25 @LT

5.5+ Miles

Holy Gawd, loike. Someone say wind?

I took myself up to the National Cinder Track, convincing myself en-route that the wind had died down. Ha! The warm-up was going well; no wind, feeling good. Well, that was until I turned right. Here I turned into a brick wall of a wind. Ah! On I went, just do the f'ing thing you jogger! I got up to 7 laps @5.43p/m pace before stepping of the track. The wind had become completely unrunnable. Rather than feeling weak, I was certain I made the right choice.

PM

Take 2!

Session: 10min @LT -2.45 rec- 10x200m @1m, 150 jog rec

8.25+ Miles

10min @LT - 5.15p/m
    200m (avg.) - 34sec

I took myself up to the club after getting the go ahead from the coach. I felt tired on the warm-up but once I started the actual session I knew I felt good. As ever, it was great to have company, especially with excellent trainers and runners in attendance. The 10 minutes felt comfortably hard. I was delighted t see an average of 5.15 on the watch and even if the Garmin had been a bit generous (track inaccuracies), the work was definitely 5.18 at slowest. The 200s were not so comfortable, especially when as slow as yours truly!

A great day and a big sign that form is coming good. The left leg had now developed from a pain to a niggle. Blasted leg!

Thursday 4/1

AM: 6.25 Miles Very Easy @7.45p/m
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.38p/m

Left shin, ouch. Heightened state of 'niggle watch', especially given it's definite an overuse concern.

Friday 5/1

6 Very Mucky Miles @7.23p/m

Down the Park to test the legs before a debrief with coach. All good. We decided on reducing the mileage over taking days off.

Saturday 6/1

AM

6 Very Easy Mucky Miles @7.47p/m

I decided against the parkrun, even after driving the 15 minutes that it took to Marlay. It was too much of a risk. No hard 5km, not ideal but let us move on!

PM

7 Miles Easy @7.19p/m

Every run this week has really felt like a bonus. I had scheduled in a week of no running given the leg, meaning I again fully appreciate and am very grateful to be able to put on the runners!

Sunday 7/1

Session: 25 minutes @LT, minutes 15-20 @faster than LT

10+ Miles

The leg was feeling much better again today but caution Anthony. caution. I took myself down to the gym and decided beforehand to really attack the session. After 65 minutes of running I was fairly wrecked! The meat of the session was very hard going. The treadmill had me go through the 10km mark in 49 minutes so even though it was a modern machine, I won't give any pace indications. The 5 minutes of faster running was very tough and had he sweating like a pig.

A really good session and another example of the benefits, at times, of treadmill running.

The legs were a mess later that night - a good sign!

WEEK TOTAL: 71.25+ MILES

Monday 8/1

AM: 6.10 Miles Very Easy @7.45p/m
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.27p/m

Tuesday 9/1

10.50 Miles Very Easy @7.47p/m

Wednesday 10/1

Corkscrew Session: 4 Reps

10.25+ Miles

Another trip to Howth. Another trip to the Hill of Misery. After a 3 mile warm-up we set of on our session, with the coach giving me a substantial headstart (didn't last long!) I described this exact session before but in essence it's running up a hill four times. Sounds easy, right? Halfway up the 1 minute recovery gives you a chance to brace yourself for what is to come. Now, the opening 2 or so minutes is very much uphill, it's a big climb. Unfortunately, that pales into insignificance when discussing the actual corkscrew section to come. The opening 2 minute segment felt fine but in hindsight I overcooked it. I really struggled on the second section, entering a deep painful cave 30 seconds after setting of. It's really hard to describe how grim it quickly becomes. After reaching the top I turned on my heels and jogged back down to the start, hoping for the best but knowing I was in for a long lonnnnng session. He passed me on the jog down, I wished him well!

I was now already in damage limitation mode and there were 3 more reps to go!! As you can imagine it was quite a painful affair. I really didn't think I could pull through but so I did. The last rep was just brutal. There's a particular 20m section that brings you to a standstill, like being stuck in quick sand. I somehow reached the top, almost falling into a car! :) I was completely bunched - hands on knees territory.

A great session, even if slower than last time. It a session you need to be sharp for, it's unlike anything else. I was session rusty, having not done it in quite some time.

Once again my Pain Threshold Level has been reset.

That hurt.

Thursday 11/1

8.25 Recovery Miles @7.57p/m

Legs - banjaxed. My everything hurts.

Friday 12/1

6 Very Easy Grassy Miles @7.43p/m

Still nowhere near recovered. The weekend will be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Re the infamous corkscrew; It sounds like it can't be as bad as it sounds....and also sounds like it is way worse than it sounds.

For that reason, I'm out

Duanington wrote: »
    Re the infamous corkscrew; It sounds like it can't be as bad as it sounds....and also sounds like it is way worse than it sounds.

For that reason, I'm out

Betcha coach T will have the us up there by May.

Betcha coach T will have the us up there by May.

Have already been told I am out there before long so may be dragging a few victims with me :P

• Advertisement

Nice 2nd place, no doubt taking it handy.

Advertisement