Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making every mile count

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Saturday 13/1

16.10+ Miles
    -inc. Steady Half Marathon in 1.18:17

Kildare Half Marathon

The sheer fun of the day diluted the disappointment today. The plan with the coach was to run this one 'by feel', with me stating that running mid 5.40s shouldn't put me under too much strain. Now, this was all before the legs departed me after the midweek session! I have honestly never felt aches like the ones experienced, even after raced half marathons! (fulls, yes) I soon settled and followed in the wake of a runner I didn't recognise. The race was essentially 4 laps of the Donadea 5km loop. The first climb of the day had me in an already tired state! Not a good sign. With no one in close proximity, I followed the leader and pleaded with the legs to turn up! No chance. He dropped me on the 2nd lap, slightly increasing his lead over the 3rd lap. I was very tired but aerobically fine. The issue today was the condition of the legs!

I mentally gave in over the 3rd lap and phoned it in. I woke up on the last lap, closing the gap from 30 to 10 seconds. I have no doubt I could have caught him but a huge part of me didn't want a race over the last mile. Bad attitude? Perhaps. I just think I was wrecked!

A fantastic event and race. It's a shame more races aren't like the ones today - just a very well organised race in a great location.

A good session in hindsight, especially over a tricky trail course.

Sunday 14/1

15.50 Miles Easy @7.08p/m

As I am still minding the leg, this was the maximum distance I would push it today. The leg still has a dull ache, perhaps leading from a tight calf. A very enjoyable run, with the legs feeling fresh.

Disappointing not to be doing 18-20 mile runs but it is what it is. I do have an abundance of long runs in the legs from last year including: one training marathon, one paced marathon and two raced marathons. I guess I am covered but a big part of me thinks this is the body finally giving out to me after all the punishment!

WEEK TOTAL: 78.70+ MILES

I am very much struggling to get races in at the moment. The Trim 10 is quickly approaching. Added to that, mileage is down considerably with the leg. Let's be positive though! :pac:

I am not chasing fitness. I am chasing the last 5% to make the next step up. Only 5% but I know how tough it will be.

Monday 15/1

AM: 6 Miles Very Easy @7.45p/m (grass)
    PM: 7 Miles Easy @7.28p/m

Tuesday 16/1

9 Miles Easy @7.32p/m

Wednesday 17/1

Another Wednesday, another session.

13+ Miles

Session: 5x1mile @10km - reducing recoveries ~2min, 1.45, 1.30, 1.15

Not bad, not good. The main thing? The main thing is that it is done! Short recoveries, long reps.

Splits: 5.26, 5.23, 5.24, 5.28, 5.22

I had initially hoped for 5.20s but just a shade beyond me this morning. I was still fairly tired but no excuses. Well, on topics of excuses the wind on the the home-straight, as well as the biting cold was a hard hurdle to overcome. I struggled in large parts today if the truth be told. The effort was there, just not the pace. Although I had company today, he rightly pulled the plug early on. Unfortunately, this led to many solo laps! A grind.

Thursday 18/1

AM: 6 Miles Recovery@7.58p/m (grass)
    PM: 8.25 Miles Easy @7.28p/m

Friday 19/1

8+ Miles Easy (no watch - 4 mile marker and back)

Saturday 20/1

AM

4 Miles Shakeout @8.20p/m (mainly grass)

If I weren't marathon training there would be no chance of me squeezing in this early run to make up the miles! With time against me today, I need to get this one done early. Listening to Matt Cooper at 7am was a grim affair. I haven't listened to him ever really. That won't be changing! Back to my podcasts, I think.

PM

Session: 14x(400m @5km, 40 sec jog recovery)

8+ Miles

Average: 75/76sec

Sitting in my car; waiting for the weather to improve, waiting for divine inspiration or just delaying the inevitable. After falling asleep, waiting for over 30 minutes I finally put on the runners in the Park. The legs felt ok but motivation was at a low point. A mere 4 minutes later, en-route to the Tom Brennan loop, I felt great! The session was programmed into the watch and after a short warm-up (a benefit of the AM run) I set off. The session was really good fun and a nice escape from the trappings of track running.

A crackin' session. Why did I ever worry about it?!

Sunday 21/1

Long Run (progessive)
    -19 Miles @7.00p/m

The instructions were to make this progressive and to max out at 18 miles. I only managed the progressive part right at the end, finishing at a decent clip. I went over distance after messing up my route somewhat. A very enjoyable run. Great to be back at the longer stuff.

WEEK TOTAL: 88.25+ MILES

A very good week in the bank. I have totally switched off on the easy runs, allowing them to be slower than ever before. That most definitely is a conscious decision, deciding to run a lot more on grass and generally relaxing a lot more on non-session days. I hope to race next week so I hope to possibly jump into a race this Sunday, if my schedule allows.

Going in the right direction. Happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck in Raheny Anto if you make the start line, run well.

Monday 22/1

AM: 6 Miles Recovery @7.54p/m (grass)
    PM: 6.50 Miles Easy @7.19p/m

Tuesday 22/1

11 Miles Easy @7.30p/m

T'was fierce mild, regretted wearing the tracksuit after a few miles. Nice 'n easy before session day.

Wednesday 23/1

AM

Session: 14x(200m hill, jog down recovery)

10+ Miles

Another enjoyable spin to Howth. The warm-up was a 3 mile climb to the final turnoff leading to the Howth Summit carpark. Some warm-up! The legs felt in a decent way after the previous two easy days. The session was soon underway; us doing 200m reps, coach doing 250m. Today provided another example of, if you plan it well, of how a session can work, even if there happens to be quite a gulf in standard between athletes! Rep after rep, jog recover after jog recovery. The session was soon telling on the legs but after 8 or so, one could see the exit door and mentally it became a lot easier. I soon realised we were being used as a target to chase, which meant no let up. After 10 it felt like I was running in slow motion but luckily the pace wasn't going backwards (it just felt so).

A good session. A session that keeps the speed in the legs but also builds strength. Just thank the big man that the win was on our backs........

Hills, hills, hills...........:pac:

PM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.42p/m

Thursday 25/10

AM: 6.25 Miles Recovery @7.49p/m (1/2 trail - Pier)
    PM: 6.50 Miles Easy @7.13p/m

Friday 26/10

8 Miles Very Easy @7.30p/m

Raheny 5 still on the cards. Just.

Saturday 27/10

AM

5 Miles EASY @7.31p/m

Nice run around Lough Rynn.

Raheny? Still on the schedule but plugged the plug later that afternoon. Time was just way too tight to make it over after work.

PM

Session: 5x(5min @10km, 2min jog rec) ~all by effort

No way the first split is correct! First 3 into the wind, feeling very good. Probably should have pushed the pace and effort. Good session on the roads. Loads more there.

5.43 ??????? :rolleyes:

Last minute text, last minute session. I guess sometimes you just have to adapt.

A nice session along the strandI set up the session on the watch and off I went, not looking at the watch once. The splits were decent; not good, not bad, just ok.

Sunday 28/1

13.25 Miles Easy (hilly) @7.13p/m

I postponed the long run until the next day as it was getting late. I decided, for whatever reason, to drag myself up Killiney Hill. I felt tired on the climb, running stupidly at 5.1x pace on the return for over half a mile. A bit of garmin watching, a bit of a slog but all in, fine.

Running freewheel downill is great fun. It really does release the inner child! As a grown adult though - pretty stupid and pretty much looking to fall, run into a car and/or injure myself!! Great craic though.....:D

WEEK TOTAL: 86.50+ MILES

Monday 29/1

Long Easy Run
    -19 Miles Easy @7.00p/m

It kind of goes without saying that coach would like most long runs at a decent clip, or progressive in nature. The only real difference is the day after a session or race. I don't even ask now. The only difference later on in the plan (I am guessing) is that many will become steady. I got to 14 miles, having spent the last 14 miles gearing myself up to pick it up. Well, that was a waste of flippin' time! The wind had battered my soul and I just couldn't muster anything up. The legs felt like two planks of wood so I trudged home. All good, just a small bit fatigued.

Tuesday 30/1

10 Miles Very Easy @7.46p/m

I have a new favourite place - the West Pier, Dun Laoghaire. Sure, it doesn't have the trapping on the more famous, better looking tourist Pier, but it's now mine! Flat as a flat pancake and all on gravel and trail.

Session tomorrow.

Wednesday 31/1

13.75+ Miles

Session: 1m@LT, 4x200m, 2x400m, 800m, 2x400m, 4x200m, 1m @LT ~1min rec b/t all

1 Mile @Tempo: 5.25
    4×200m: 36, 37, 38 (long), 35
    2×400m: 73, 73
    1×800m: 2.31 (hard)
    2×400m: 73, 74
    4×200m: 34, 36, 34, 34
    1 Mile @Tempo: 5.25

~1min recovery between all (mix of jog and walking)

A bruising session in very tough windy conditions. The run down to the track in Irishtown was tough enough with a strong headwind making things <cough> fun! Stupid me. Originally the plan had the framing mile reps at marathon effort but I asked could I push them to tempo pace. Why?! Well, he agreed. The mile to kick off proceedings was fine but the wind made things tricky. The first set of 200m was mainly into a stupid wind. I also made a mess of their distance. This was proving a hard one, that's for sure. 400s negotiated and onto the 800m rep. Just described quite beautifully in the message as 'uncomfortable'! That it was. So, I got through it and it took me 5 minutes to put on my leggings - a sure sign of a tough session! Confidence was low at the end (totally wiped), very low. I took my sorry a$$ on the 4+ mile run home. A real Jog of Shame. On reflection a good session in trying weather (horrific at times).

Why did it feel so hard? Because it was! Good honest splits -a good days work. Confidence largely resolved.

So, thoughts turn to the weekend. The Trim 10 is my season opener. I am truly shooting in the dark given that is my first race in quite sometime but here is hoping! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Those sessions are eye watering. Best of luck in Trim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Regarding your comments on your coaches approach to a long run, any other snippets that he likes/dislikes or does differently??

All the best in Trim Sunday, when I didn’t see your name on the entry list I figured you weren’t racing it.

Those sessions are eye watering. Best of luck in Trim.

Cheers!
    Regarding your comments on your coaches approach to a long run, any other snippets that he likes/dislikes or does differently??

I guess I will try to answer that question and in doing so, not answer it all! Like all sessions be it speed-work, hill or race specific, the long run is no different in terms of individuality or specificity to the athlete. I won't try to answer the question for him but at this stage he knows my strengths and weaknesses, what I like and what I don't like. With the short run in to Amsterdam, I think we both know eachother a bit better this time around. My weaknesses are plenty(!) but the big gap in my running is my speed. When I train with the club, Luke or whoever they would honestly leave me for dead on the short track reps - no contest! The strength is my strength so there really isn't any emphasis put on the long run. I know that may sound counterproductive whilst marathon training but at this stage, running easy 20 milers delievers very little training benefit. It needs to be done but that is taken for granted, barely mentioned.

Asides from long easy after sessions or races, the idea is to run into the run and push through fatigue near the end. I haven't been so good on that account recently but a few miles at the end, let us say MP +10-20 seconds, shouldn't push you over the edge - nothing hammered out, just a nice increase in pace. I need to be more diligent here.

I know what is to come - long 16-24 mile runs at steady!

Again it's all about individuality. He would have someone do very different long runs if coming from a speed background (you should ask him!) Asides from that, many sessions come in at 14-18 miles when all in. Is that a 'long run'? I guess it is.

There's many way way to skin a cat. I just have to make sure that f'er is stark naked :D..........

Well done in Raheny. Great too hear so many positive results!

OOnegative wrote: »
    All the best in Trim Sunday, when I didn’t see your name on the entry list I figured you weren’t racing it.

Thanks - I'll be there :pac:.....No Bewley's coffee this year but the best course in Ireland in my opinion. Brilliant race.

Thursday 1/2

8.25 Miles Recovery @7.53p/m

Friday 2/2

6 Miles Very Easy @7.34p/m

Saturday 3/2

4 Miles Easy @7.24p/m
    -inc. 30sec stride @3km

Sunday 4/2

Trim 10

4th - 55.06

I was looking forward to this one, having ran my best race of 2017 here. I wasn't lacking confidence per say but knew any result was possible given the many months since a proper race effort. That barren may stretch as far back of Amsterdam in October.....that's a long time! I knew I was in decent shape but how good I had honestly no idea. None! Sessions are sessions, races are races. I train to race, not train to keep fit. I like to be fit but I prefer to push myself and whatever the result, so be it. Times and placings matter of course but maxing out my ability is the driving factor in putting on the runners.

The race was soon underway and I felt fresh. I knew deep down that I didn't quite trust myself today. I tried to park that thought but I guess that comes with being so race rusty. I decided to neglect the garmin and focus in on the guys around me - Peter, Gary and a guy I recognised from Mullingar. I knew Gary and Peter to be 2.30 athletes so knew I was in soild company. Our small group quickly splintered after Mile 3, with Gary making the effort to close the gap. I really should have latched on and backed myself. I didn't. I was now running very much solo with the lads ahead holding their lead. The effort fluctuated from 'easy' to 'hard' a bit too much. The effort level soon settled but as soon as it did my hamstring started to seriously tighten. That very much knocked me. I had no option but to level off the effort and just run. The tightness got no worse but I did have to compromise by stride somewhat.

Mile 5, Mile 6........

I had no idea who was behind me and more importantly, how close! I listened to the ripple of applause generously afforded me by the friendly on-course support. As soon as they clapped for me, I waited. I waited, I counted. How long before they clapped for the next athlete? I hedged I had a 10-15 second lead on whoever was tracking me.

I wasn't hurting to any great degree but the leg did hand me some noticeable jolts over the course of the next 2 miles. On passing Mile 8, I knew I would get home in one piece.

A good hard effort overall. I am in a good place. I just now need to start working a bit harder and I know the results and times will come!

Very disappointing not to have reached the highs of last year but all eyes on the prize.

-w/u 1.50+ Miles
    -w/d 2 Miles

PM

5.25 Miles Very Easy @7.37p/m

Sometimes pointless miles are needed. 'Nuff said...........:p

WEEK TOTAL: 79.75+ MILES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What? No mention of the surges? :) I too was listening for the claps that indicated a repeat of last year! I reckon a break of two months between road races just leaves one rusty and if there were a follow-up 10 mile race in a couple of weeks (like last year) and no hamstring troubles, both of us would run a lot better and would have been more competitive. I think it provided a good training boost though, so job done.

Some good news this morning:
    Rotterdam wrote:
    OK for corral A.
    So I'll be seeing you there!

What? No mention of the surges? :) I too was listening for the claps that indicated a repeat of last year! I reckon a break of two months between road races just leaves one rusty and if there were a follow-up 10 mile race in a couple of weeks (like last year) and no hamstring troubles, both of us would run a lot better and would have been more competitive. I think it provided a good training boost though, so job done.

Some good news this morning:

So I'll be seeing you there!

Brilliant stuff. Told you it was worth chancing your arm!

I really hate that method - counting the gaps between clapping. As informative as it is, every time it happens a sense of dread clouds the body and mind! It's a good method though - shows no weakness, unlike turning around every 50m to see where that feeecker is!

From being disappointed I now know I can hold that pace for an additional 5km so that bodes well. I think racing tests your limits; a skill, a learned activity. Without a few races under the old belt I find it hard to fully trust myself. What I do definitely know is that my flexibility has taken another drive, hence the muscle tightening. Getting old, ha!

Roll on Bohermeen: REMATCH!

Monday 5/2

Medium Long Easy
    -16 Miles @6.57p/m

A nice jaunt after the previous days 10 mile race - not too long, not too short. Legs good, hangover bad!

Tuesday 6/2

8 Miles Easy @7.11p/m

Today was simply about easing off and getting myself into some type of rested state before the next days session. If I could remember one step of this run I would write something here. As I recall not one second of this uneventual run.......NEXT! :cool:

Wednesday 7/2

Session: 4x1km @10km, 4x800m @5km ~all off 90 cruise jog

8.25+ Miles

On paper: A recovery session after the 10 mile race on Sunday
    In reality: Bloody hard!

I set out, confident about this one. Again, on paper it looked fine. I got a nice little sense of dread on the warm-up down to Blackrock Dart Station - it dawned on me this may be a bit tougher than I had initially thought! It was incredibly cold this morning, with a nasty headwind to negotiate the whole way to Sean Moore Park on the cards. The opening rep was hard and cold. The remaining 1km reps felt ok but again, hard! I guess the short recoveries impacted the effort levels throughout. The 800m reps were pretty woeful, with the hamstring seriously tightening again. I had to reign in the effort but in reality, I was fairly whacked by end.

I got home, a cold tired mess. So cold. I wasn't hopeful on analysing the session in the warmth of indoors but I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, the 800m reps were as bad as expected but the 1km reps were fairly good. No watch looking this morn.

Splits:
    3.13, 3.13, 3.14, 3.14
    2.39 (level crossing impacted), 2.34, 2.34, 3.38 (nasty u-turn impacted)

That equates to a 10km time of 32.20-32.30. The 800m splits I will forgot as I had to pull in the pace/shorten stride (excuses, excuses!)

PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.16p/m

Friday 8/2

AM: 7 Miles Recovery @7.48p/m
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.26p/m

Friday 9/2

9.50 Miles Easy @7.23p/m

Saturday 10/2

21 Miles
    -inc. 20 Miles @Steady (6.02p/m)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1400477439

Time was in short supply today so I was up early (for me) to take myself on the 30 minute trip to the Park. I could of course have run this on the roads close to home but there's something about the Park, something that increases the importance of the run. Basically, I know it close to marathon day when I make the round trip across the river! After the shortest of warm-ups I was off. My plan was to make this one tough; a hard day, without going into the red. I took myself around the Simon 5 Mile route twice before shaking it up and taking in the North Road (admission: I got bored!). The opening 5 miles were ok, if a bit fast (29.5x). I felt good, even if the second lap was mentally tougher. I couldn't stomach a 3rd and 4th lap (to make it 20 miles) so I made the mistake and shaked it up! I was quickly back on the S-Bends, this time in reverse. The effort level soon shot up as the wind battered me senseless. Horrific. This is where marathons are made, I told myself. The remaining miles were ticked on in good fashion, with the last wind assisted mile being the fastest (5.38).

All in, a great days running and training. Delighted with the page give the effort. These runs are tough and so they should be. I find them to provide a great physiological boost; mentally draining over an overtly physical task. Job done with a healthy sense of satisfactions.

If I continued on at that average effort for an additional 10km I would have gone through the marathon in 2.39 (garmin adjusted time). That hopefully bodes well for April as I could have gone on without much trouble, albeit quite tired!

Sunday 11/2

9 Miles Easy @7.21p/m

No sleep, long work day = enjoyable run. That brings a very good week to a close.

WEEK TOTAL: 90.75+ MILES

Monday 12/2

AM: 6 Miles Easy @7.30p/m
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.24p/m

Tuesday 13/2

13 Miles @6.46p/m
    -inc. Fartlek - 3x3min, 6min, 3x3min ~ all of 90sec easy

I am not a morning person. In fact, I think people who enjoy the mornings to be of questionable disposition! I needed to get this one done early, before breakfast but most importantly, after coffee. I also needed to get in enough miles to buffer the loss of miles across the proceeding two days. The session itself was fine; working hard but not overreaching. I didn't set up the watch, choosing to focus on effort. The effort was there, not as sure about the pace. The run flew by and by 11.30am I had a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon in my hands before the flight. Cannot remember the last time I had a drink before midday! It's been a while......:rolleyes:

Wednesday 14/2

AM

Hamburg Run (1/3) - 5 Miles Very Easy @7.19p/m

PM

Hamburg Run (2/3) - 6 Miles Easy @7.04p/m

An obsession with running isn't always necessary but it certainly does help. I'm not too sure if I fall into that bracket just yet, preferring to call myself 'mostly dedicated’. The AM run was quite enjoyable before taking myself back to the hotel to take in a few miles after covering half of Hamburg walking. It's hard to explain; running is not the annoyance, it's the thought of it! Once out, I usually really enjoy the easy miles, seeing more of the city than I ever would doing what normal tourists do. The best way to view it is balance - do the training first, indulge in the stuff that makes one fat and unhealthy after!

Thursday 15/2

AM

Hamburg Run (3/3) - 5.25 Miles Very Easy @7.41p/m

Oh, the hangover. A great night was had, meaning this run was somewhat groggy setting out. I needed to time this run early enough to make full use of the breakfast offered in the hotel! Job done, another pair of runners retired on foreign soil.

PM

6 Miles Easy @6.58p/m

Back to Ireland with a bang - straight into a forgotten work assignment. This proved a right pain but I squeezed in an enjoyable run. A little bit on the quick side given the imminent deadline! I have really gotten into the mentally of running properly easy so to see 6.xx was definitely unusual.

Friday 16/2

AM: 7 Miles Easy @7.25p/m
    PM: 6 Miles Easy @7.21p/m

Alas! The weekend suddenly opened up, well Sunday at least. This a few years ago would have meant a night on the rip but after a chat with the man in control, a Sunday 10km race was the seen as the more sensible option.

Saturday 17/2

5 Miles Very Easy @7.45p/m
    -inc. 3x30sec progressive strides

A very easy day, followed by a long work workshop. Long……..

Sunday 18/2

Ballykelly 10km - 34.14

The announcer stated that the turnaround of this out-and-back course would be a bale of hay. Love it. This bale signalled the 5km mark of the course. Here we would retrace our steps, undoing all our good work! A group of three reached here, having seemingly fought a noticeable headwind. The opening 3 miles felt good; in control, with the pace feeling manageable. I again neglected the watch and focused on effort. In hindsight, mistake No.1. I got the feeling immediately that I was to be the wind buffer for the lads so I attempted not to run the straightest line, choosing to zig-zag at time when suited. For whatever reason, I got really annoyed about this, feeling the lads will attempt to pull away with the winds on our back on the return leg. I let myself down here. I turned around after the 4km mark and said “mind doing some of the work?” I am still p1ssed off at myself for not just doing what I was here to do - run. I was disappointed to say something like that but when you are running on a miserable day it can be hard not to. No excuses - I was in the wrong.

After my little word, he did take to the front. Fair play, I thought. It though make me feel worse about my verbal broadside. I hit the split button on the watch, anticipating running 5.20 pace for the run home. I was feeling good and confident that with some wind assisted miles I would seriously up the pace. How wrong was I?! We turned. We turned into a horrible nasty full on headwind. That wasn’t the plan! It really did feel like the Magic Road - wind no matter what direction you ran. I was here to run hard, not to worry about anyone else. That was the directions given to me before throw in so I made a mess of it.

There was nothing for it but to grit it out. He pulled ahead a bit but just before the 6km mark but I leveled and pulled away gradually over the remaining 4km. Running into a wind suits my style of running. I have no kick no real speed but strength-wise I am strong. Unfortunately, this also meant the pace dropped considerably.

Overall, a very good workout. I seriously mismanaged this race, probably losing 20-40 seconds in retrospect. In running within myself over the opening half, it meant I couldn’t pull anything back over the second half.

I warmed down with the aforementioned runner. Lovely guy, accepting my apology.

Happy with the effort, not with the time. Next!

-w/u 1.25+ Miles +drills/strides
    -w/d 3.15 Miles

PM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.40p/m

WEEK TOTAL: 80.85+ MILES

A good week.

With 7 weeks remaining, I feel in a good place. I would however like at least one PB heading into taper. It is impossible to be in peak 5km/10km/10m/HM shape when in the full throws of marathon training but I really expect, demand in fact, some good times before the gun in April. Patience Anthony, patience! :D

Modest as ever - congrats on the win - and a good 14 seconds ahead of 2nd place.

Monday 19/2

Long Easy Relaxed
    -18.25 Miles @6.30p/m

A very enjoyable run around South Dublin, taking in Rathgar, the City Centre and the Liffey, before making my way back through Sandymount. The instruction was to run relaxed, which is coded terms doesn't mean easy, yet doesn't mean fast. The legs were a small bit tired starting out, expected given the previous days race, but I knew this would prove to be an enjoyable one after just half a mile. I was a wee bit surprised to see 6.30 average on the screen on finishing. I only looked at the watch for distance, expecting to see mid 6.40s; a good sign, especially given the 'relaxed' effort levels!

Tuesday 20/2

8 Miles Recovery @8.09p/m

I dialled this one right back. Right back! Not because I was tired, which I was, but because I knew I had a nasty little session the following day. Bracing for what is has yet to come!

Wednesday 21/2

Session: 6x1m @10km ~reducing recoveries (2min to 1min)

11+ Miles

I woke up bloomin' exhausted. I almost got violently ill at the prospect of hitting the cinder so i succumbed to the treadmill :rolleyes:. This session actually works quite well on the machine, having previously undertaken the exact same session last year in the gym. I played this one smart; starting at 5.30 pace for the opening 2 reps, before upping the effort. I calculated that the pace on the screen, in conjunction with the incline, meant that 5.18 a mile equated to 5.30 effort on the open road, or planned half marathon effort. After settling, along with the legs waking up, I upped the effort and gradient from the 3rd rep. I wanted the last rep to replicate the closing mile of a 10km race so I again upped the pace and gradient.

I remember doing this session the last time, feeling good throughout and in the immediate aftermath. That didn't last long! I was in a hoop tat night so with that in mind, I didn't absolutely hammer the last mile like last time! I was certainly working at the end.

A good session - far below marathon pace and feeling good. Oh yeah, what is marathon pace? :o

PM: 5 Miles Recovery @7.48p/m

Weight down, with another 4-5kg to fall off hopefully. At this stage I don't need a weighing scales - I can tell when running or by getting the 'fat' test off the better half. That usually entails me asking: Am I still fat or have I lost weight?!

Bohermeen is the next big target. 5.30s all the way baby.......or for as long as I can hold! I hope to give my 10k PB another shot but with very few weeks reamining and very few good races left, it may have to wait a bit longer.

Thursday 22/2

AM: 8 Miles Recovery @8.09p/m
    PM: 5 Miles Very Easy @7.49p/m

Friday 23/2

7 Miles Very Easy @7.37p/m

Maybe I could have done more miles, maybe. I think this week last year I ran over 100 miles but I won't be chasing miles this time around. I have been solid and consistent regarding miles so, with that it mind, no arbitrary mileage targets.

Anyway, I will be doing enough time on feet the following day.........:rolleyes:

Saturday 24/2

24+ Miles
    -inc. 23 Miles @Steady (6.01p/m)

The interaction went along the lines of:
    'Good to go long at weekend?'
    -'Sure am. What are your thinking?'
    'Do 23 steady, same pace as the previous run.'
    -'Will do!'

Do 23 steady, no explanation needed! Two words and one number means one long run.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1423245152

It must be said that these types of runs are the ones I am particularly suited to. I may not have a sporty 2 litre petrol turbo engine but what I have is a steady 1.6 diesel. Sure, it may not have any speed but it's good on the motorway, something along the lines of an Octavia. Anyway, enough of that forced analogy! After a half a mile warm-up (it was freezing), I quickly settled into my default steady speed. I wasn't feeling too hot on the opening miles. may it was the thoughts of another 22 miles on my, maybe it was the thoughts of sharing the roads from that reality weight loss programme 5km. One big lap of the Park later I was back at the car, after one very brief pit-stop. He wanted me to practice my drinks but after almost 11 miles, an hour in freezing temperature, I really did not want to stop tough. The back was broken on the run and I was feeling quite comfortable, more so compared to 2 weeks ago. I attempted to up the pace over the closing 3 miles but the legs could only manage 5.50s. I wasn't tired, I was just beyond cold having dumped the hat, gloves and extra layer. Bad mistake!

2.18 minutes on the feet at 2.38/2.39 marathon. Very happy given the controlled effort level.

*Fueling: One gel, small bit of high 5 electrolyte drink at mile 11, hoping the weather improves as Rotterdam has a tendency to be a hot one

Sunday 25/2

9.25+ Miles
    -inc. Adamstown 10km @6.49p/m in 42.35

I was at the race so I thought I may as wll run the race and get the miles done before midday. I made a bit of a mess of what was supposed to be a very easy run. I ran the whole 10km without looking at the watch, expecting to see 45 minutes or just over on the clock on finishing. The effort felt very easy indeed but the legs were somewhat jaded. i should have taken notice of the pace because 6.49 was not, and never will be, very easy recovery pace. A bit of a rookie mistake but the pace did feel very measured.

Very well organised race, on a very fast flat course on paper. Unfortunately the wind had other ideas, meaning any notion of fast times were out the window. Happy not to be racing in those conditions..........;)

WEEK TOTAL: 95.50+ MILES

great long run there - whats the usual in race fueling routine for a goal marathon??

great long run there - whats the usual in race fueling routine for a goal marathon??

You learn from your mistakes, right? I had a bad marathon a number of years ago in Dublin and since then, well since then I have vowed to take things more seriously and take out as many variables with regards to nutrition and fueling as possible. I won't lie, it has become like a small-time military operation but it works for me! Very important is the phrase 'it works for me'; it's my approach which definitely isn't for all.

Sunday evening to Thursday evening: Complete carb-depletion (I haven't made a call on this for April) - very tough.
    Thursday/Friday: Mainly a carb based diet
    Saturday: Slightly increase the % of carbs, with one 500ml energy drink (throughout day), with at least 1 dioralyte with water (sometimes plain water isn't the best hydration tool). I think too many, including myself, suffer from nerves and anticipation, tending to overdo on the water stakes (not good)

Race Day:

Up 3 hours before race for a 5 minute jog. Then breakfast.

Breakfast: Homemade porridge bread with jam, weetabix, dioarlyte. Double espresso before I depart.

Race: High 5 gel every 5km, dioralyte circa 15km, introduce caffeine gels after halfway, caffeine drink with dioralyte approaching 35km (if someone on course), in general I tip away with water (small amounts, every 5km)

There's no magic formula, it works for me. In saying that, I tried a pasta squid dish the day before Amsterdam. Delicious but stupid!! :o

Practicing fueling is very difficult in the Irish climate. I take it for granted that it will be at least 18 degrees at some point during the race. How do you prepare for that? It's hard, especially in freezing temperatures like we are experiencing at the moment, You do what you can. Take last Saturday for example. I was supposed to work on my drinks but it was very cold. I didn't need nor want water but I stopped one to fuel. Ideally this would have been every 5km-8km to engage in race day simulation but that would have been pointless! In hindsight, I should have worn extra layers through the run, keeping myself as insulated as possible.

Monday 26/2

Medium Long Run
    -14.25 Miles @7.22p/m

Tuesday 27/2

10.25 Miles Easy @7.15p/m

A good sign that this run felt like a complete jog. A good feelig to have, especially before a big a big session on the cards the next day. With Saturday morning freeing up, the new plan involved taking in the Clane 10km race on Saturday. A shot at my 10km PB was to be the goal (33.30)

Wednesday 28/2

The day everything got cancelled!

From work to races, the week got wiped clean. Annoying to be down so much work, annoying to be unable to race. I decided to fully embrace the <cough> soft conditions and to enjoy the break! Sometimes you just have to roll with it........

AM

Goodbye session! I blame Luke for being so soft but he made correct call. I would have given the track session (18x400m) a lash but in no way was it in anyway doable in hindsight! Would have been fun trying though! Even the gym was closed.

8.65 Miles Easy @7.24p/m

Pretty cold but good underfoot conditions. Mostly :o.

PM

12.25 Miles @6.55p/m

https://www.strava.com/activities/1430289455

I got home later that evening and had thought: why not venture up to Killiney Hill? Suddenly the run, a run I wasn't really looking forward to, became a challenge! For the first time I took the phone out with me to grab a few snaps. Stopping every 2 miles or so made me feel like a tourist; a tourist in your own backyard! The run itself was probably the most fun I have had in quite some time - definitely the most fun running anyway! In so many ways a breathtaking run and a run in which I could fully embrace the incredible beauty that Dublin can sometimes offer. I had one slip, right at the top. Luckily, I slid 12ft down the icy hill before gracefully jumping back up and motoring on! The only one disappointment was that my phone died before I had the chance to take a few summit photographs.

Life affirming.

Thursday 1/3

Will I? I did.

10 Miles Easy @7.17p/m

I am all for taking calculated risks. I won't do something if I think it's patently stupid. If it's silly, that's fine with me. There's no glory in a broken bone afterall. The 10 miles were fine, with the paths generally in good conditions. I did change my route several times, choosing the path of least existence!

Good fun and back safely indoors within 75 minutes. The wind at times was a right joke though!

I have actually really enjoyed running in conditions like the ones presented. In many ways, it broke up the usual monotony of daily marathon training. It also posed a new challenge, like running in a new country. It does however take a hell of a lot on concentration to stay on your feet ;). Some thought I was mad to be out but I thought it would have been madness not to have even tried. You don't need much for running if you think about it - find a loop, even a 400m loop, and you can get the miles in, if not the quality. No excuses!

• Advertisement

Wait till you have two kids & your missus is stranded in another country because of the snow and then you’ll have excuses!!! Fair play in getting out.

Five weeks to go.......

Not the best week but not quite the disaster I was anticipating. The instructions were to run when and where possible, forgetting about any quality.

Friday 2/3

8.50 Miles Easy @7.08p/m

First mile - grim as grim can be. The rest of the run? Running bliss in the snow and ice. I got a number of shootouts during this run which was nice (stuff like 'you must be mad to be running!')

Saturday 3/3

12.50+ Miles
    -inc. 45 minute hard tempo

The gym was open! Success.

I went by feel on this one, working very very hard at the end. One sweaty mess :D. Good to get some quality in. Still can't swim for sh1te though!!

Sunday 4/3

Long Easy Run
    -20.25 Miles @6.50p/m

This one really flew by and by the time I reached the halfway point, Collins Avenue, the run felt like it was only starting. A good feeling to have it must be said. My endurance is probably as good as it ever has been; speed and speed endurance yet to be fully road tested! I thought about upping the effort but the underfoot conditions went from excellent to lethal, so with that in mind, avoiding injury took precedence.

WEEK TOTAL: 96.65+ MILES

Down one session and approximately 10% on mileage. All in, a very good week given the weather - surprisingly good and very enjoyable. Hands up though, the diet went seriously out the window this week. I ate and drank like a pig! Time to get serious.

Bohermeen next week.

All the best Sunday Anthony, run well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Good luck Sunday, Say hi as you whizz by the back end of the 10k!!

Bohermeen Half Marathon

6th - 1.12:54

Where do I start?

The midweek session completely floored me for whatever reason but by Saturday I could feel the legs come back to me. I left the house just after 6am to get in a small jog before work. I didn't plan nor want to taper as much as I did but I really had no choice. So with two easy days I hoped to be fitting fit for the race.

I arrived down quite early (for me!) to get in a nice relaxed warm-up. I decided to make the trip solo as I really needed the space to zone into the task at hand. As usual, the warm-up gave me no indication of energy levels so I made the jog up to the start, expecting the usual delay. After a bit of a chat we were soon off. Quickly two groups formed - the good, the bad (us) and JD bridging the gap. I was leading the group into the headwind which wasn't in my plan. I began a series of weaving maneuvers to try get some space, stop people drafting and most importantly, attempting to make space so I could hide in the warmth of group running. No chance! I guess they all thought 'follow the big fat lad, he'll break the wind!' I took my only look at the watch before the Mile 1 marker, deciding to forgo my pre-race plan of time-trialing the opening 10 miles. The group fully settled after a few miles with myself, PM, Gary, KB and someone I didn't know. All the Top 3 from Trim - b1stards! Even better, the group also had my clubmate, FW. I knew I was in the right company so why bother to even look at the watch? It was a great feeling to look around and fully respect and trust each and every athlete around you.

I broke the race down into 2 mile segments. Reaching every 2 mile segment within the group meant I was doing well. Just hang on in there, you hobby-jogger! There's not a whole lot to say about the opening 6 miles in truth. I was now moving well and feeling ok. Peter made a telling break just after the 6 mile mark. He's one deceptive and smart runner. Unlike most runners, I find it hard to tell when he makes a move. You just suddenly look around and he's 10 seconds down the road - magician. We went through the 10km mark in 34.10ish (not that I knew). This was a bit slow in retrospect but it was what it was. Now the efforts were focused on the 8 mile mark, the next segment. Miles 4-8 are the death zone of half marathon running. Suddenly, Mile 8 means only 11 minutes running until Mile 10, which means reaching the long straight to the finish! It's all in the head, folks!

Passing the clubhouse was terrific, with great support. Mile 7.....Mile 8. Ok, Anthony let's do this thing! If I was going to die a death, it was going to be with my runners on. I took a firm grip here which again in hindsight, brings me a lot of satisfaction. As mentioned, I really like the guys around me. I didn't honestly give one f1ck if they beat me. The aim today was to run the legs off myself, nothing else. Here I began to push the effort as I felt the group had settled. I briefly thought 'why the hell are you doing most of the work?' I guessed they would pass me later on in the race but again not one f1ck was given. Push yourself up the bridge, you lazy musician! It soon became relentless hard running; not fast running, just as honest as you can get. It was now myself FW and that guy I didn't know. Get to Mile 10 I told the lads. In total fairness to lads, they put in the shift when facing the wind. Not one word spoken, just a common goal.

I have to say that the satisfaction of running alongside FW was just immense. Fergal is a 2.30 runner from DCM last year. I have met some tough competitors in my time but he is without doubt the toughest of the lot. He is just the type who will never give in, just the type you want beside you. I never felt like we were racing one another. It just felt like we were racing the course and conditions. Sure, I was working hard but I was working within the redline. After 11.5 miles of relentless running I was on my own. I closed out the race in all I can describe as 'in a relentless state'!

Sometimes the clock or placing brings the satisfaction. Today was different though. While I didn't fully trust myself and let fully loose, I was gritty. That brings with it huge personal satisfaction.

I know I can run faster. There's not one doubt in my mind. Would I change anything? Not one bit.

A very honest run - nothing more.

A respectful PB. All roads lead to Rotterdam!

I have been woefully lazy recently in terms of updating this log. There's little point talking runs from 3 weeks ago, runs I really cannot remember, but for posterity I will throw up some stats and musings!

Week - March 5-12

Monday 5/3
    6.20 Miles Easy @7.06p/m

Tuesday 6/3
    12 Miles Easy @7.09p/m

Wednesday 7/3
    13.10+ Miles
    -inc. 14x(200m hill, jog down recovery)

Thursday 8/3
    AM: 4 Miles Recovery @7.47p/m
    PM: 4 Miles Recovery (treadmill)

Friday 9/3
    5.40 Miles Easy @6.59p/m

Saturday 10/3
    3.25 Very Easy @7.32p/m

Sunday 11/3
    17.70+ Miles
    inc. Bohermeen Half -1.12:54 (PB)

WEEK TOTAL: 72+ MILES

Recap: The hill session completely floored me, rendering the days before Bohermeen in a state of fatigued flux regarding energy levels. Happily, the legs came back to me on the Thursday and Friday runs. Phew....... :rolleyes:

WEEK- MARCH 12-18

Monday 12/3
    13.50 Miles Easy @7.12p/m

Tuesday 13/3
    10 Miles Easy @7.34p/m

Wednesday 14/3

AM:13.50+ Miles
    inc. 16x(400m, 40sec rec)

PM: 5 Miles Very Easy @7.33p/m

Thursday 15/3
    12 Miles Very Easy @7.37p/m

Friday 16/3

AM: 7 Miles Very Easy @7.40p/m
    PM: 6.10 Miles Easy @7.00p/m

Saturday 17/3

13.10+ Miles
    -inc. 14x(200m hills, jog down recovery)

Sunday 18/3

Long Easy Run
    -19.10 @7.13p/m

WEEK TOTAL: 97+ MILES

Recap: Another good week and a return to real training after the previous weeks' taper for the half. The session on Tuesday was awfully slow (78/79 average). Granted the conditions were truly horrid but the session itself turned into a recovery workout of sorts. No harm, especially give the conditions, tired legs and tight right hamstring. The hill session (someone likes hills!) went very well, even if so shattered tired (no sleep) I fell asleep during the rugby game. I then had a small window to get this one done. All good.

Monday 19/3

AM: 6.25 Miles Easy @7.31p/m
    PM: 9.10 Miles Easy @7.01p/m

Tuesday 20/3

10 Miles Easy @7.26p/m

Wednesday 21/3

25 Miles
    -inc. 24 Miles @Steady (6.02p/m)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2569571419

The last big one.

With a mere two and a half weeks to the start, I once again found myself in the Park for the last long effort. I always find this one a mental battle; a long hard grind, just you and the road. I decided to keep this one flat, using the North Road/Chesterfield Avenue loop, returning to the car and base at Visitors' Centre carpark. With one, almost 5 mile in total, loop completed, I had some company for the 2nd loop. I didn't need nor want water or gels but in order to get some practice in, I reluctantly stopped after lap 2 for a quick drink. The pace was more than manageable but the wind on the North Road was fairly bad. Nothing for it but to battle it out! Two slightly longer loops brought me up to the requisite 24. I had hoped to get down to MP for the last mile or two but the wind and drag, this time heading to Castleknock, was a right biatch! I finished off the run with a quick half a mile warm-down, with two strides. I am not sure why again I did the strides but it just felt right. No reason - just wanted to!

A big long one in the bag. I did the same run, same time, before Amsterdam averaging 6.14 a mile. Hopefully a good sign!

I firmly believe my aerobic base has developed a huge amount, even since October. The only issue (a big issue!) is my lack of speed endurance, particularly over the 10km/10mile distances. I am looking to make a big jump come Rotterdam, I just hope I won't find myself in some sort of grey area - the Bermuda Triangle of hobby-jogging marathon aspirations.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great to see that you're in such savage shape Anthony, and if there's any justice, you're going to have a savage race and a deserving result. Incidentally, did you ever try a heart rate monitor? The data would make for interesting reading, from that 24 mile run.

Have a smooth and risk-free transition to Sunday week, and see you in Pen A - if not the Hopper Coffee shop!

• Advertisement

Thursday 22/3

AM: 7 Miles Recovery @8.28p/m
    PM: 6.25 Miles Very Easy @7.46p/m

A very easy day to balance out the 25 mile run the previous day. The morning run was a cracker, again in the Park. With good company and after run coffee one just cannot go wrong!

Friday 23/3

AM: 5 Miles Easy @7.46p/m
    PM: 5 Miles Easy @7.43p/m

The session are coming quick and fast: recovery time!

Saturday 24/3

11.20+ Miles

Another day, another hill session.........:pac:

Session: 8x(400m hills, jog down recovery)

In hindsight I kind of messed this one up, choosing a beautiful section of tarmac close to my doorstep. Unfortunately, the gradient just didn't cut it. Still, with that all said, the session had me with hands of my knees so job done! The reps all came in the 5.0x range, with the last sub 5. I guess that shows you the climb wasn't challenging as perhaps it should have been. A good session in the bag even if lacking the strength part (sharp incline).

I need sleep. Now!

Sunday 25/3

Long Easy Run
    -17.30 Miles @7.02p/m

Another night of virtually no sleep. I was out the door before anyone could notice! You know you are coming to the end of marathon training when you don't blink twice about running for two hours.

It all gets shorter from here on in.........:eek:

WEEK TOTAL: 102+ MILES

Advertisement