Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making every mile count

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

You'll wipe most of the field!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

You'll wipe most of the field!

Thanks but don't think tomorrow will be my finest hour! Looking forward to it now. You doing it? I'll be just happy to collect my tshirt and goodies :cool:.....really don't want to be one of those people that starts pulling out of races!

Go hard or go home. Next bus back to Bettystown, Tayto Park for the Meath supporters!

Pretty annoyed to have missed out on the Fingal 10km. Arrving in late I began the search for my number. Somehow it went missing. It was in the hall for the past week and when I finally went to pin it on my singlet it was nowhere to be seen. Now, this was at 4.30am, with 5 hours of driving framing a busy night at work. I looked at myself in the mirror and told myself to cop on.

There will be other races. In saying that I am disappointed to miss out. I feel like I am in good shape. Finally.

Saturday 19/7
    5.25 Miles

5 Miles Easy @7.25p/m in 37:08
    -inc.3x30 second strides @10km effort

Another shortened run to give myself a chance of racing the next day ;) For the strides I did a 'yaboya1'. This involved noting the distance and pace of each stride. As I thought, it was pretty futile (sorry yaboya1 :pac:) A good experiment but one I won't be repeating. Each to their own I suppose. Looking at his fantastic progress proves he is doing a lot right. Some shape.

Sunday 20/7
    11.50 Miles

8 Miles Steady @6.33p/m in 52:30

Splits per mile:

1. 6.48
    2. 6.41
    3. 6.30
    4. 6.33
    5. 6.35
    6. 6.31
    7. 6.30
    8. 6.20

3.50 Miles Easy @7.27p/m in 26:07

Very happy with these splits, particularly as the effort was always honest and hard. Running through the city is far from ideal though. I was on the receiving end of two beeps from the nice drivers of Dublin. I may leave my faster runs to area a bit more conducive to man of my size and speed :cool:

WEEK TOTAL: 75.81+ MILES

A missed race but a decent weeks training. Feeling a bit frustrated as I was looking forward to finding out what sort of shape I am in. I will bottle that frustration.

Mainly I am annoyed that I had TWO open bars during the week and stuck to coffee/soft drinks because of the race. An opportunity missed. Time to make up for it......!

Monday 21/7
    12.70 Miles Various

AM

6.50 Miles Easy @7.24p/m in 48:07

PM

6.20 Miles Easy @6.59p/m in 43:18

In pretty good form heading out the door. The legs wanted to go faster but I did my best to hold them back. The steady run on Sunday has really woken the legs up.

Tuesday 22/7
    10.45 Miles Various

Club Track Session - Pyramid

Plan:
    ~400m, 600m, 800m @3k effort
    ~1,000m, 1,200m, 1,000m @5k effort
    ~800m, 600m, 400m @3k effort
    (200m Jog Recovery)

-400m 75 (5.11p/m)
    -600m 1.56 (5.12p/m)
    -800m 2.43 (5.21p/m)
    -1,000m 3.25 (5.24p/m)
    -1,200m 4.05 (5.27p/m)
    -1,000m 3.23 (5.25p/m)
    -800m 2.45 (5.24p/m)
    -600m 1.59 (5.14p/m)
    -400m 75 (5.11p/m)

-W/U 2.25 Miles (with strides)
    -W/D 2 Miles (8.41pm)
    -2 Miles Very Easy (7.56p/m)

The Garmin probably isn't the best way to gauge these track reps, especially when you don't press the stop/start button at the right time. I think I may return to using the stopwatch next time. The humidity made this session hard going (I think my t-shirt gained a pound or two in weight!) Another solid, if unremarkable, session. I would like to think I am possibly in 16.30 5k shape currently, so that's 5.19 a mile. I didn't quite reach that tonight but I won't get too hung up about it. I know speed is my issue at the moment. I found the session tough in places but manageable. Quite happy in reflection to make a very welcome return to the track. There won't be too many speed sessions remaining between here and marathon day so I will enjoy them while they last!

Finally, I may have adapted to the hot and humid conditions we are experiencing at the moment. Yes, the level of sweat produced is at times unnatural but it hasn't quite been the usual struggle. The effort expended is without doubt greater but the runs are actually enjoyable, even if the pace is that bit much slower.

Wednesday 23/7
    14 Miles Various

AM

8 Miles Very Easy @7.36p/m in 1.00:45

Legs pretty receptive after the previous nights session. Kept it nice and handy.

PM

6 Miles Easy @7.32p/m in 45:12

Pretty uneventful mile building run.

Thursday 24/7
    Hill Run

10 Miles Easy @7.30p/m in 1.15:00

I made a complete mess of this run. Like a typical Irish man I got lost but convinced myself I was in fact going in the right way :) The plan was a hard 8 mile run up and down Ticknock/Three Rock but by the time I found the road to be climbed I was already 5 miles into the run. I started the climb but soon turned around. It wasn't the day to be stupid. It must have been 24 degrees and I was along way from the car. I finally know the way now so another attempt shall be made in two weeks. That's 2-0.

Still a decent training run over lumpy terrain. There is one great thing about run up though. As you begin the climb there is a water fountain/pump (whatever it's called!) by the side of the road.....heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Billy Mills

Hahaha - the mountain wins, again! I don't even wanna think about what it would feel like climbing it in the heat!

Still good training going on DR!

Hahaha - the mountain wins, again! I don't even wanna think about what it would feel like climbing it in the heat!

Still good training going on DR!

Cheers. I think it was a blessing in disguise! I'll be dragging you up soon enough, don't you worry :)

I really considered racing tonight. The Donedea 5km, with it's 19.30 starting time, suited perfectly. I decided to leave my decision until the morning. The first few steps out of bed are always a good indication of how I am feeling. How did I feel? Pretty good. Then I began to weigh up the actual reason and the likely benefit of racing. I felt I could have run 16.5x (maybe 16.4x at a push) on the night but I really struggled to see the point. I am strong but a tough 10 miler the day before was not the best preparation. I am so far from race sharp at the moment it's scary. I think the best place for me at the moment is the training paddock and a few parkruns to once again acclimatise myself to the real word of racing.

With all that in mind......

Friday 25/7
    Long Run
    -16 Miles @7.15p/m in 1.56:06

To say I was pretty keen to get this weeks long run ticked off would be an understatement. I was very lucky to have offers to do a long run on both Saturday or Sunday but I really felt it best to run to the plan (plus I want to go out on Saturday night!) As I have mentioned, I won't be going much over 16 miles for the next few weeks so a 20 miler, although tempting, would have been possibly counterproductive.

On with the singlet and out the door. Yes, it was very hot but I found the surprisingly easy. Delighted to finally run very comfortably in the heat, a real turning point.

The new Puma Faas 500's proved to be a very wise purchase. A seriously good training runner.

Saturday 26/07
    Progression Run
    -8.5 Miles @7.04p/m in 1.00:01

For once, the person driving someone to a race was my good self. It was a great feeling being on the other side for once! I left this run a bit opened ended setting out, allowing the legs to dictate what they wanted to do. Naturally the pace steadily increased and the run turned into a solid progression run with the last few miles at sub 6 minute pace (5.56p/m). Motoring down Chesterfield Avenue was a great feeling. Having so many other runners around was a real motivation.

The 5k Colour Dash race in aid of the Irish Cancer Society is a good example of how a charity race should be run, with 100% of the entry fee going straight to the charity. Good to see.

Sunday 27/07
    9 Miles General Aerobic
    -6.54p/m in 1.02:05

Originally planned as a steady run but the late night the previous night ended any plans of this. I could pushed harder but there was more to lose than to gain. Legs felt great. Feeling strong.

WEEK TOTAL: 80.65+ MILES

The mileage won't increase much over the next weeks. It's exactly where I want it to be. What I will be looking for is an increase in the intensity, particularly targeting the steady/tempo run sessions. I am feeling very strong at the moment and probably the best I have felt in a long time. The last time I remember feeling this good was the week or two before the taper in late March. I don't want to get ahead of myself so a very prudent approach to training is needed (boring, I know!)......:pac:

Next proper race? Looking like The Streets of Galway 8km in two weeks time.

Monday 28/7
    14 Miles Various

AM

6 Miles Easy in 7.25p/m in 44:28

PM

8 Miles Easy @7.25p/m in 59:21

Two runs with the exact same average pace. I am consistent if nothing else! Two pretty standard runs.

Tuesday 29/7
    14.80+ Miles

AM

4 Miles Practice Run @7.57p/m in 31:51

As I am doing some pacing work on Monday, I thought it necessary to be the professional I am and undertake a trial run. I switched off on the 4th mile and ran a 7.54. This won't happen on race day :pac: A nice recovery pace run.

PM

10.80+ Miles

Club Session

-W/U 2Miles
    -10x400m @74 seconds (50 seconds recovery)
    -w/d 2 Miles

The initial plan was to do 12 but a toilet break after the 8th rep (:eek:) meant I missed both the 9th and 10th. The last two reps flew by after the extended recovery but by 7th and 8th I began to work quite hard. The lads are really flying at the moment so I was happy just to cling on and battle it out. Pretty lucky to have 3 guys to work with that are slightly ahead of me at the moment. It's a nice target to have :) Very happy with the consistency of each rep (74) but in truth, this was more down to the consistency of the lads ahead.

I really enjoy speed sessions but I do question whether the training stimulus provided is what I actually need at the moment.

Wednesday 30/7
    Medium Long Run
    -12.20 Miles @7.23p/m in 1.30:12

Down to UCD to meet the former moderator (aka Ecoli) for this midday run. Marathon training means getting a decent long midweek run in. This run will eventually creep up to 15-16 miles but for now 12 will do. Great to have company for the first 6.50 miles (7.31p/m btw Ecoli not 7.37p/m!!) and the miles flew by. Unintentionally, the pace upped for the last few. This was down to a natural progression of sorts, although the drag up Booterstown Avenue was tough enough.

• Advertisement

Thursday 31/7
    11.51 Miles Various

AM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.36p/m in 38:01

Quite enjoying these pre-breakfast runs. Last weeks 5 miler went well so I pushed the boat out and added an extra mile because that's the way I roll at the moment :cool: Kept it nice and handy even though there was very little tiredness in the legs.

PM

Hill Run

-Sutton to Howth Summit (carpark)

~6.51 Miles @6.35p/m in 42:47

http://www.strava.com/activities/173497529
    -some discrepancies between Garmin Connect and Strava. I'll stick with the Garmin details......

That makes it 2-1 to the hills. Still behind but catching up.

Nicely rested after a 4 hour break the runners were back on :) Ticknock has chewed me up twice now so a change of scenery was called for. The aim was to maintain a solid steady run effort. The effort on the climb was well judged, although the steep climb from the pub up to the carpark pushed the effort briefly into the tempo effort range. As downhills are my achilles heel, I kept the effort honest on the descent without ever really pushing.

The most enjoyable run in a long while. Hard to beat. The idea is to use the hills to strengthen the legs, gradually increasing the effort and distance. If I could do the 8 mile loop of Howth Head (Sutton-Carpark-Pier-Sutton) twice to make it a 16 miler before Dublin I will be a happy baby rabbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

That's an impressive run today, you're coming into form at a great time just before the real training starts. mile 3 looked like a killer, great pace for an 182ft climb!

You doing the frank Duffy or Charleville? signed up for both myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

jebuz wrote: »
    That's an impressive run today, you're coming into form at a great time just before the real training starts. mile 3 looked like a killer, great pace for an 182ft climb!

You doing the frank Duffy or Charleville? signed up for both myself

Ah crap really got ramp up training now with the two of you to chase in Charleville :D

ecoli wrote: »
    Ah crap really got ramp up training now with the two of you to chase in Charleville :D

The more the merrier, looks like a great race. I dunno ecoli looking at your log I think you've got a big performance brewing in your arsenal, could be me doing the chasing

The more the merrier, looks like a great race. I dunno ecoli looking at your log I think you've got a big performance brewing in your arsenal, could be me doing the chasing

It's gonna have to be with the rate of improvement of you two (and a few others around here) as of late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Hope ye have the king size bed booked for the 3 of ye that night in charleville! :P

Might do Charleville but I may stump for Athlone. It was a seriously good race last year. Yeah, it's a tough climb but there is one or two areas of respite on the way up. The problem is on the way down those areas are climbs, quite tough but the scenery and general road conditions make it a pleasure.

I am definitely not racing the 10 miler but may use it as a MP run or something. The weekends are the moment are a real mess how pretty apprehensive about losing anymore money booking races only to cancel because of work!

Jebus vs Ecoli........that's a good one!

blockic wrote: »
    Hope ye have the king size bed booked for the 3 of ye that night in charleville! :P

Haha! Throw in TRR and Billy DrQ and I am there :eek:

Ah I am only a little guy :D

Thursday 1/8
    6 Miles @7.12p/m in 43:16

After a quick look at the targets for the week, a small adjustment was required. I decided to reduce the mileage as I was on course for a 90 mile week. Although feeling fresh, I wanted to play it smart and run smart :)

Friday 2/8
    16 Miles Long Run

2 Hour Long Run @PMP+60 seconds
    -17.15 Miles @7.03p/m in 2.00:55

Setting out I knew the Garmin was low on battery. Fearing the worst but hoping for the best, I strapped on the stopwatch as backup. 10 miles in and it was dead. Delighted to see the average pace (7.00p/m), despite the easy effort.

A huge confidence booster. The legs feel incredibly fresh at the moment....I know it won't last long though :pac:

Sunday 3/8
    8.25 Miles Various

-10km Steady (6.25 Miles) @6.13p/m in 38:52
    ~http://connect.garmin.com/activity/556449863

-2 Miles @1.45 HM Pace (recovery) @7.55p/m in 15:52

Two late nights working meant a well deserved sleep in and a few hours of GAA viewing. A really enjoyable run, taking in a fair chunk of the south city centre. The effort was nice and controlled, although the last uphill mile was approaching tempo effort.

(Note to self: Warm up next time! It will make things easier!)

WEEK TOTAL: 83.91+ MILES

A good solid week and probably the best week in a good while. I feel like I am getting the balance almost right at the moment. Work has ended any chances of running The Streets of Galway, unfortunately but I am determined to race this week! Not too sure what distance it will be but it's important now to get race sharp. I am not too worried about times/places. It's more of a case of getting back into the groove of competing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck with the pacing gig tomorrow.
    Enjoy!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Good luck with the pacing gig tomorrow.
    Enjoy!

Thanks! Looking forward to it. It will have it benefits (it might finally teach me how to run at an easy/recovery pace!)

Now to set my five alarms for the morning.......:D

Monday 4/8
    18.22 Miles Various

AM

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon

1.45 Pacing
    -13.22 Miles @7.54p/m in 1.44:30

The previous nights steady run left the legs in a nice state of fatigue so a nice run around Dublin was just what was needed. I probably prepare more for pacing gigs than I do for my owns races. This gives me much needed discipline. Give me a training schedule and i'll complete it and then some but ask me to be on time for a race and well :pac: After a near timekeeping disaster in work on Saturday night I am now a new man who turns up on time, everytime!

It really was a beautiful morning. A combination of glorious sunshine, coupled with a light breeze, meant almost perfect racing conditions. The start was quite congested, as usual in a big event like this. I may be now unused to running around this part of the field but the congestion never really eased up for the remainder of the race. Nothing too bad but certainly noticeable. This made it quite difficult to work out who was actually following us. The first two mile markers came early but from there on in they seemed to be bang on the money. The course was a tough one and if I were to be honest, a course I was very happy not to be racing. Myself and my fellow pacer kept the effort nice and controlled, easing up on the hills and gaining slightly on the descents (not too many of these!) This is how I like to pace.

Unusually, the chat amongst the group increased as the miles ticked by. Once again I apologise to anyone I annoyed when 'encouraging' them to 'finish strong' :cool: Sitting here drink my first beer in a week I am pretty confident we helped a good few people to hit their target times today.

As I have mentioned in the race thread, the race was brilliantly organised. The only issues for me being the first two mile markers and possibly the water stations. I don't really mind cups but I wonder would it be preferable to simply leave the cups of water lined up on the table rather than handing them out. I know this race has it's critics but what I will say is that the pacing team were treated very well (even a VIP area at the finish....fancy! A bit too early for wine though :eek:)

Later AM :pac:

-5 Miles Easy @7.12 in 38:04

It was a bit of a pain having the finishing line 4+ miles away from the car start line. The choice of getting the bus or running was a no brainer. Full of coffee, muffins and pastries the run was pretty forgettable.

A slight concern of late in the pain in my heel. It can be very noticeable whilst driving and walking. It became a bit more noticeable today, with possibly the unfamiliarity of running at recovery pace for 13+ miles. The differing foot strike and cadence at this pace cannot be discounted, especially when running for over two hours in total. I will keep an eye on it as I know what it possibly might be but am currently afraid to say! It has been a small issue for the past few weeks. If it does persist I will see someone later in the week about it.

Tuesday 5/8
    7.6+ Miles Various

Club Track Session

-2 Mile w/u inc. strides

-6x1km @5km effort
    1. 3.25
    2. 3.25
    3. 3.24
    4. 3.24
    5. 3.24
    6. 3.17

-2+ Mile w/d

Pretty solid session. I kept the first 5 reps nice and consistent, sticking to my own pace and effort level. Finishing the 5th rep I felt I was going somewhat easy on myself so I increased the pace, finishing strongly and relatively comfortably. My aim with these sessions is not always to run 'great' times, preferring consistency and completion.

Wednesday
    6/5

Medium Long Run
    -13.05 Miles Easy @7.05p/m 1.32:21

Building on lasts week 12 miles medium long run, a 13 mile run felt about right. Happy to see the pace, especially as the effort was easy enough despite the heat at times.

Thursday 7/5
    13.25 Miles Various

AM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.40p/m in 38:21

After two years of solid running I think I may cracked easy running. It's quite simple: Don't eat!

The absence of food in the system naturally brings the pace down, without impacting greatly on the energy levels and indeed, enjoyment.

PM

8.25 Miles
    -3 Miles Easy
    -2 Miles @PMP (6.09, 6.01 avg. 6.05)
    -3.25 Miles Easy

I settled on some marathon paced miles whilst lying in bed unable to sleep the previous night (God, that's sad confused.png) It's pretty daunting contemplating running at your planned marathon pace. Naturally thoughts of fear, dread and excitement cloud the mind. The idea with this type of run is to start small and slowly increase the distance over the next few weeks. The first mile was into a very strong headwind but I was confident I would easily claw back a lot of time on the return mile leg. Job done.

A nice 'dip of the toe' into some PMP miles. How did it feel? Pretty damn fast if I were to be honest. If I can do 3 miles next week and 4 the week after......etc I will be happy. I have to remind myself that this is planned marathon pace and it may change over the next few months. Here's hoping not in the wrong direction.

Friday 8/8

6 Miles Easy
    -@7.25p/m in 44:32

Step back day. Nice relaxed run and (essentially) pre-breakfast.

After weeks of good intentions I finally introduced myself to one of the distance coaches in the club. He trains the group above us and is spoken very highly of. I asked him to have a look over my training as it's always good to get another perspective. After a brief roundup of my running career to date and an outline of my targets and ambitions, his response made my day. It's always nice to hear people congratulate you on your improvements but his reply to my recent marathon time was exactly what I wanted and needed to hear. ''Respectable enough'', two simple words but it told me precisely where I am in the grand scheme of things. We had a really good chat and I look forward to hearing his feedback.

Saturday is called 'moving day' in golf tournaments because it is the day where competitors try to set themselves up for the final round on Sunday. My 'moving day' is the month of September. September is where I set myself up for October and the marathon.

Provisional Race Calendar

September

6th-The Lakes 10k (race)
    13th-Athlone Flatline Half Marathon (race)
    20th-Dublin Half Marathon (general aerobic)
    27th- Moone Kilomarathon (marathon pace)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

6th-The Lakes 10k (race)
    13th-Athlone Flatline Half Marathon (race)
    20th-Dublin Half Marathon (general aerobic)
    27th- Moone Kilomarathon (marathon pace)

Few miles before and after Dublin i hope! ;) separate activities though. ;)

Few miles before and after Dublin i hope! ;) separate activities though. ;)

:)

I decided to record each and every mile separately from here on in :eek: I'm going to cripple Strava!

Nice work this morning ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The intersection of Strava and Boards!!

Must start using it and see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks! Very tactical affair this morning. Worked on the win rather than time. Happy enough

• Advertisement

The intersection of Strava and Boards!!

Must start using it and see what all the fuss is about.

Do! Very competetive. Someone beat my times yesterday, got an email about it and everything! Back to Howth I go.....!

Saturday 9/8

AM

W/U

.41 Mile in 8.37p/m in 3:30

No strides. Nothing.

Parkrun 5km - St. Anne's

1st

17:21

After a long internal tactical discussion with myself, I settled on what appeared a very achievable target. After my quite frankly embarrassing attempt at a warm-up I felt quite good, despite the 60+ miles already in the legs for the week. Arriving at 9.22am wasn't in the plan. I might try a two mile run around 3 hours before the next race just to loosen out the legs before a light breakfast. Like all great pre-race tactical plans, it soon went out the window after the gun started the race. After 100m my initial target of 16:5x was forgotten. The race quickly developed into a two horse race, with a sizeable gap to 3rd place and the pack. Focus shifted to finishing 1st. The time really didn't matter. I knew after 200m that this race was mine to win and a nice bit of pressure was put on my shoulders.

I really enjoy the St. Anne's route. The two lapped course almost lends itself to a tactical race. Two things became very apparent after the first 1km. The wind was one and my footwear the other. As the wind was strong I allowed myself to tuck in behind the leader. This was not the day to be a hero and go on a solo effort. The only issue with drafting is that you are essentially allowing someone dictate the pace. It also became quickly apparent that my runners (Faas 300v3) were fit only for the bin. The right foot in particular proved troublesome. While my left foot lands neutrally, my right foot supinates quite badly at the moment.

As I mentioned previously, the race was essentially a two horse race. The first and second mile passed quickly in a somewhat pedestrian 5.46 and 5.45 a mile. I did my fair share on the work into the headwind but I did allow myself some respite when I felt it was beneficial. Passing the 4km mark it was all about when to make my surge for home. The straight to the finish is fast. I made my move with about 600m to go, finishing the last mile in 5.20 or thereabouts.

Happy to win but a part of me would prefer a faster time, even if giving up a few places. With virtually a non-existent warmup I only really beacame comfortable ten minutes into the race. No point training hard all week to make such a basic mistake.

A huge thank you to the organisers. A flawlessly organised race. Cannot wait to be back.

W/D

2 Miles @8.13p/m in 16:28

The battered runners left the legs quite sore. I will be sorry to see them go! Next stop? The bin.

PM

5 Miles Easy @7.19p/m in 36:35

Felt very fresh.

Sunday 10/8

Long Easy Run
    -17 Miles @7.14p/m in 2.03:05

Mentally shattered after arriving in late from work the previous night. The legs and body pulled me easily through what could have easily been a disastrous run. My emergency 2 euro still unused! Boom :)

WEEK TOTAL: 85.64+ MILES

Step back week next week? Quite possibly.

Great stuff DR, good to see you back racing, and winning! Always nice to fit in a sneaky win in an 85 mile week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Bravo, very impressive week!

Great stuff DR, good to see you back racing, and winning! Always nice to fit in a sneaky win in an 85 mile week ;)

Cheers.

Nice to win but the time was average. Looking back on all my decent races they have all been done on the back of a decent warm up so I think that played it's part. Great to be back at it though. Race days are hard to beat!

cianc wrote: »
    Bravo, very impressive week!

Thanks! Paying the price of it last night though. Shattered!!

• Advertisement

Monday 11/8

10 Miles General Aerobic
    -@6.49p/m in 1.08:09

It's usually a positive sign when your easy/general aerobic pace naturally comes down during the course of marathon training. It was nice to get a break from the traffic and noise of Dublin and hit the West. The roads of Sligo can be quite unforgiving. It's usually raining and it is certainly always windy. Quite happy to see the pace drop after the usual leg loosening first mile.

Tuesday 12/8
    8 Miles Various

Club Track Session

Plan: 8x800 @5k effort (200m recovery)

Splits:

1. 2.36 (5.01p/m) This came up long at .52 of a mile, hence the quick pace
    2. 2.39 (5.14p/m)
    3. 2.39 (5.19p/m)
    4. 2.41 (5.20p/m)
    5. 2.41 (5.23p/m)
    6. 2.42 (5.28p/m)
    7. 2.41 (5.19p/m)
    8. 2.37 (5.16p/m)

On reflection the splits for this session were slightly all over the shop. I simply concentrated on effort and didn't look at the watch once. The 5th and 6th rep were quite slow. I lost a bit of concentration, losing a few metres on the lads ahead. On the 7th and 8th rep I regained my composure and concentration to finish reasonably strong.

Another completed session. It felt reasonably tough but very manageable.

Wednesday 13/8

Medium Long Easy Run
    -14 Miles @7.09p/m in 1.40:07

Absolutely nothing to note! This run has increased nicely, building from 12 miles two weeks ago. I will continue to build, aiming to maintain a regular 16 mile midweek run.

With a wedding tomorrow and the strong possibility of a killer hangover on Friday (and possibly Saturday!), I will play this week by feel. I have decided to knock alcohol on the head from the 7th of September so a few beverages tomorrow will be most welcome :) I may race at the weekend to make up for my 'antics' :cool:

As a proud Northsider, the usual reason for our type get in the news/paper is usually for well, the 'wrong reasons'!! :pac: I got a nice surprise on Monday when traveling back up to Dublin.

Fit Magazine, The Irish Independent 11/8/14

Thursday 14/8

10 Miles @6.54p/m in 1.09:00
    -inc. 3 Miles @Marathon Pace

Splits:
    1. 6.00
    2. 6.03
    3. 6.02

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/564701723

After a 3 mile warm-up it was decision time. I tried everything possible not to run the marathon paced miles. This usually happens when my mind is preoccupied. I was very much looking forward to my friends wedding later that afternoon so my mind was elsewhere. Go hard or go home!

As ever, once you get into your planned marathon pace the miles fly by. It does take a while to dial into the pace but once you get into your stride the three miles flew by. The pace does still feel fast though. It may be just at my tipping point. Another small step made in the right direction but I am fully aware that a three mile marathon pace run is just that.

Friday 15/8
    8+ Miles Easy

Hungover. The miles went by easily enough. The average paced dropped to 7.13p/m before I made a mess of it by not stopping the watch after meeting a friend cycling by the canal.

Saturday 16/8
    1hr General Aerobic
    -8.70 Miles @6.57p/m in 1.00:23

Oh Dublin.

The legs are getting tighter and tighter with every mile completed. With that in mind I stopped outside my flat and proceeded to well, 'stretch'. I am possibly the worst runner ever to stretch and feel like I don't have a clue what I am doing because well, I don't! I say this because a taxi driver pulled up and grabbed my attention. I was expecting him to ask for directions or possibly give out to me for running across the road or something but he stopped to give me advice. He told me he saw me run and chased me (:eek:) to have a chat. His advice was interesting. He was a 31min 10km guy back in his army days. He informed me my left knee ''flicks out'' and how it may cause me trouble in the future. He demonstrated some stretches to do while a line of traffic backed up behind him. Very interesting and very mad! :)

Sunday 17/8

Long Run
    -20 Miles @7.06p/m in 2.22:12

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/566975286

Up bright and early to meet Dr.Q for what proved to be a really enjoyable run. It was such a great feeling to have wrapped up a twenty mile run by 10am. The plan was to run large chunks of the new marathon course.

THREE things to note:

1. The stretch up Chesterfield Avenue and towards Castleknock is a tough one, especially if the wind is in your face like today
    2. The few miles after Casstleknock are fast ones
    3. The Crumlin Road aint any easier!

The pace dropped naturally after the 15th mile or so. Happy to see the last few mile splits:

-15 7.05
    -16 6.51
    -17 6.28
    -18 6.32
    -19 6.22
    -20 6.16

This was my longest run in quite a while (Rotterdam Marathon in April). I am in a good place endurance-wise. The issue is now to put some speed to it.

WEEK TOTAL: 78.7+ MILES

A small step back week this week. Decided against racing as there was no real compelling reason to race a 10km. I will bide my time!

Nice looking week.

One question though, two
    Two things to note:

or three?
    1. The stretch up Chesterfield Avenue and towards Castleknock is a tough one, especially if the wind is in your face like today
    2. The few miles after Casstleknock are fast ones
    3. The Crumlin Road aint any easier!

:p

Nice looking week.

One question though, two

or three?

:p

Haha! There's always one! :) I will proof read a bit better the next time!!

Monday 18/8
    12 Miles

AM

6 Miles @7.23p/m in 44:20

Pre-breakfast.

PM

6 Miles @7.11p/m in 43.11

A pretty mundane day to balance out the 20 miler the previous morning.

Tuesday 19/8
    12.1+ Miles

AM

4 Miles @7.35p/m in 30:20

A simple run to wake up the legs. Felt nicely loosened after but I found myself clock watching quite a bit. A possible nasty habit that I won't allow grow! Pre-breakfast.

PM

8.1+ Miles

Club Track Session

Plan: 10x600m @3k effort (200m recovery)

Splits:

1 1:57
    2 1:57
    3 1:58
    4 1:57
    5 2:00 (stopped the watch quite late!)
    6 1:57
    7 1:56
    8 1:57
    9 1:56
    10 1:54

Nothing earth shattering but delighted with this session. Always felt in complete control whilst doggedly sticking to my own pace, not relying on other people. I feel that the consistency I was looking for is finally coming.

Wednesday 20/8

Medium Long Run
    -15 Miles @7.15p/m in 1.48:46

It has taken a while but this is the first of what I call a proper marathon training run!

Leaving the house I felt pretty fresh after a decent nights sleep but after a few miles that changed a bit. Although feeling strong I could feel the tiredness in the legs, especially on the hills. All in all a pleasant run up to and around Marlay Park. That hill on the Parkrun 5k was tough enough though, even at an easy pace! A sure sign of tiredness and the first proper marathon training run! :)

With a little under 10 weeks until marathon day, it funnily enough feels a long way away. I am confident training is heading in the right direction. What is of slight concern is the half marathon on the 13th of September. Now that feels very very close. It really is a target race so I will definitely incorporate some half marathon training in. Maybe something along the lines of 4x(2 miles@HMP), for example. I will also have to nail down a target for the race. Plenty to think about!

Now I am off to bite my tongue and suppress my inner keyboard warrior...........:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Thursday 14/8

10 Miles @6.54p/m in 1.09:00
    -inc. 3 Miles @Marathon Pace

Splits:
    1. 6.00
    2. 6.03
    3. 6.02

This is my first time stumbling upon this log since I seen you in the Dundalk 10K. Looking at your MP above, are you aiming at 2.38 in Dublin. I am heading for Dublin myself. Hoping for somewhere in the 2.45 region. My plan during summer was to get 10K time down and then build up to Athlone in September so on course this far. Might see you in Athlone. My target there is 1.17 so might see you in a wee group at some stage.

NiallG4 wrote: »

This is my first time stumbling upon this log since I seen you in the Dundalk 10K. Looking at your MP above, are you aiming at 2.38 in Dublin. I am heading for Dublin myself. Hoping for somewhere in the 2.45 region. My plan during summer was to get 10K time down and then build up to Athlone in September so on course this far. Might see you in Athlone. My target there is 1.17 so might see you in a wee group at some stage.

Great stuff.

That's the target, well 2.39:59 is to be precise! It's a flexible target at the moment. I think I need to training a second or two faster a mile in these sessions to replicate race day.

Brilliant target. Give me a shout before Athlone, things should be easier in a group.....:)

Thursday 21/8

AM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.33p/m in 37:46

Just a nice leg shaker before breakfast.

PM

8 Miles (treadmill)
    -inc. 4 Miles @MP

Usually the morning run loosens the legs but they still felt stiff and sore so a trip to the gym was called for. Jumping into the car the heavens opened so the decision was definitely the correct one. My planned marathon pace is c.6.06 per mile. After a few miles I jumped into the marathon pace effort. With a noticeable gradient, 5.56 per mile felt on the money effort-wise. The pace had me working but not too hard so I was happy enough to tick off 4 miles. The two mile warm down was perhaps the most bored I have ever been running. The 15 minutes almost killed me. Give me the roads any day.

Friday 22/8

8 Miles Easy @7.21p/m in 58:46

Saturday 23/8

AM

5 Miles Easy @7.00p/m in 35:02
    ~inc. 5 strides @5k effort

Nice to tick off this run before watching some of the Frank Duffy 10 Mile Race. I placed myself at the gates at Chapelizod, just before the real race and hills start. This perhaps wasn't the wisest place to stand as the runners quite obvious knew the challenge ahead so their efforts lay elsewhere (i.e not on me!) I won't name names (Jebuz and Dr.Q :)) but it was nice to be spectating for once.

PM

5 Miles Very Easy @7.25p/m 37:53

A very handy one before the early start the following day.

Sunday 24/8
    19.50 Miles Various

-W/D 1.56 Miles @7.14p/m

Longford Half Marathon (1.30 Pacing @6.49)

For whatever reason I came in a minute under my target time. I really still cannot put my finger on why this happened. While a bit annoyed I don't think it affected anyone as there wasn't ever really a group around me. The Garmin might be at issue as the first mile just would not settle. Passing the 6 Mile marker the stopwatch and Garmin indcated all was on track. This continued until Mile 11. Here I was 40 seconds under the target time (predicted 1.29.20) so all good. My Garmin totaled 12.94 miles passing the finishing line. I probably relied a bit too much on the watch as I think it acted up.

Anyway, a really good race with some great performances.

-W/D 5 Miles @7.47p/m in 38:55

WEEK TOTAL: 89.6+ MILES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

I'm a jackass. Sorry DR didn't even see ya as you're right, the hill was really the only thing on my mind! Was just thinking about it there- yourself and Ecoli would actually make the perfect pacing team. You could run 2 mins under and he could run 2 mins over- it would be a great way to space out the pace bands!

Maybe you guys could share your pacing expertise w/ the 3:40 lads in DCM;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

dukeraoul wrote: »
    I'm a jackass. Sorry DR didn't even see ya as you're right, the hill was really the only thing on my mind! Was just thinking about it there- yourself and Ecoli would actually make the perfect pacing team. You could run 2 mins under and he could run 2 mins over- it would be a great way to space out the pace bands!

Maybe you guys could share your pacing expertise w/ the 3:40 lads in DCM;)

We don't need no help from no dodgy pacers foool

Ah here! I was 80 seconds under. I'll send you the Garmin link! I am still wondering why. I don't want to speculate on the most likely reason.....:eek:

No worries DrQ. Only my fellow club mates responded! It was a stupid place to stand...well run by the way. Plenty more to come.

I'll see you Gavlor in the pub after. Hopefully at that stage i'll be on my fourth drink and talking sh!te! At least there you'll have safety in numbers in the 3.40 group. Mine was a solo mission :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ah here! I was 80 seconds under. I'll send you the Garmin link! I am still wondering why. I don't want to speculate on the most likely reason.....:eek:
    I checked against my tracklog from last year, and there's a slight variance in distance (13.07 Vs 13.01), using the exact same watch (slightly newer firmware), the exact same course, and I ran pretty much an identical racing line. So variances seem to be caused by external influences, such as satellite cover, weather conditions, GPS watch inaccuracy etc. As to whether the course is short or not - I don't really know (and if I'm being honest, don't really care in this instance!). I often wonder how the course is measured - e.g. how they measure around those roundabouts, the measured route through that last stretch back into town (where I took a pretty aggressive racing line through the middle of the road) etc. Are we taking short-cuts that the race measurer didn't take? Anyway, there's not much point in delving too deeply, unless you want to go back with a measuring wheel, we'll never get any closer to the reality on these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I checked against my tracklog from last year, and there's a slight variance in distance (13.07 Vs 13.01), using the exact same watch (slightly newer firmware), the exact same course, and I ran pretty much an identical racing line. So variances seem to be caused by external influences, such as satellite cover, weather conditions, GPS watch inaccuracy etc. As to whether the course is short or not - I don't really know (and if I'm being honest, don't really care in this instance!). I often wonder how the course is measured - e.g. how they measure around those roundabouts, the measured route through that last stretch back into town (where I took a pretty aggressive racing line through the middle of the road) etc. Are we taking short-cuts that the race measurer didn't take? Anyway, there's not much point in delving too deeply, unless you want to go back with a measuring wheel, we'll never get any closer to the reality on these things.

I discussed this a week ago on TbL's log. Didn't want to open that can of worms again but it seems it's now open!! It seems that they changed the start point of the AIMs measured course 2 years ago which left the course short. I Ran the marathon 3 years ago and the start was in a completely different place. I too got 12.94 when i ran the half in 2012.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I discussed this a week ago on TbL's log. Didn't want to open that can of worms again but it seems it's now open!! It seems that they changed the start point of the AIMs measured course 2 years ago which left the course short. I Ran the marathon 3 years ago and the start was in a completely different place. I too got 12.94 when i ran the half in 2012.

I got 13.04 on Sunday. I don't think it was short. I think the turnaround caused the Garmins to be off as my watch was beeping around 50 yards short of the mile markers before that point. Anyway, I don't care either as I still would have Pb'd and gone sub 1:21 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

I don't want to speculate on the most likely reason.....:eek:

You had a super hot chick you were tailing on 1:28 pace? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement