If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 40"/42" wall TV

Options
  • 08-11-2013 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi guys. Looking to buy a 2nd TV for the kids to use. It will be wall mounted above the fireplace in the den. Any advice please  and prices - LCD/Plasma/Smart etc ?

Thanks

Ciaran

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

CiaranS wrote: »
    Hi guys. Looking to buy a 2nd TV for the kids to use. It will be wall mounted above the fireplace in the den. Any advice please  and prices - LCD/Plasma/Smart etc ?

Thanks

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

First question would the fire be in use? 

One of our best sellers at the moment would be the LG 42 LN570V.  This is a full HD, Saorview approved, 100hz, Smart TV (via wireless dongle included)  Excellent TV and not a bad price either :)  For the 42" you're looking at £449.95 and on the 47" you're looking at £579.95.  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42LN570V

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 29 CiaranS

Thanks

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

One of our best sellers at the moment would be the LG 42 LN570V.  This is a full HD, Saorview approved, 100hz, Smart TV (via wireless dongle included)  Excellent TV and not a bad price either :)  For the 42" you're looking at £449.95 and on the 47" you're looking at £579.95.  Check the link below for more info:

Chris
    Thanks Chris and well picked up on the location! The fire now has an artificial gas fire so I imagine that the wall above the fireplace doesn't get too hot to damage the TV. I will make a point of checking that out. 2 further potential issues: (1) due to the fireplace ledge and also a dado rail higher up the wall this means that the max height of the TV is 25.5" or 65cm; and (2) because of this setup then ALL connections to the TV, including power, must be side on and not from the bottom. Ideally from the left hand side as you look at the TV in front of you. I think the max size will therefore be a 40" or 42" but don't know if any allow all connections from the side?

Ciaran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Ciarán, the issue here is the connections.

There are lots of TV's with connections on the side, but these are not aerial and power. These are always on the bottom.

The 42LN570 has HDMI connections with USB etc on the side, but the scart and aerial are on the back with the power socket to right of middle at the back.

Is this vital as I don't believe it's possible to have all the connections on the side ?

ATB

Dave

Hi Dave and thanks for the reply. I understand that it appears very unlikely to find any TV that is configured with all side connection. Our bedroom TV is as you outlined. The real issue is trying to maximise the TV screen size in the tight space between the top of the fireplace ledge and the bottom of the dado rail and to ensure that the TV will be able to be mounted on to the brackets when they are fitted to the wall. I will check out the TV you recommended and make a decision.

Regards,

Ciaran

Thanks

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Chris
    Hi Chris. Looking for your view on the LG versus the Panasonic TXL42E6B? Is the 570 definitely a better buy than the 575?
    Also, what would the total cost be delivered to Dublin for each please? Thanks.

Ciaran

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Chris
    Hi Chris. Looking for your view on the LG versus the Panasonic TXL42E6B? Is the 570 definitely a better buy than the 575?

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Tough one between the two.  Both excellent screens and offer pretty much the same in the way of smart features etc.   Thought one thing the Panasonic offers is a very nice remote app which can act as a keyboard too!  Another pro would be that the 32" version of this screen got the best TV under £400 in the What HiFi awards.

The LG is a great TV for the money and the picture quality is very impressive for a TV in that budget.  I'd say you'd be happy with either screen tbh.  If it was myself though and you didn't mind the extra few quid  then the Panasonic is the one to go for.

Hopefully this hasn't confused things further.

Let me know what you think,

Chris

Thanks

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Chris

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Tough one between the two.  Both excellent screens and offer pretty much the same in the way of smart features etc.   Thought one thing the Panasonic offers is a very nice remote app which can act as a keyboard too!  Another pro would be that the 32" version of this screen got the best TV under £400 in the What HiFi awards.

The LG is a great TV for the money and the picture quality is very impressive for a TV in that budget.  I'd say you'd be happy with either screen tbh.  If it was myself though and you didn't mind the extra few quid  then the Panasonic is the one to go for.

Chris
    Ok Chris we are getting there! Firstly, Pansonic it is. Sorry about this, but I just checked Powercity and they have a clearance on a Panasonic - the plasma TXP42GT50B for €699. This looks like an awesome offer (link http://www.powercity.ie/?action=eoldeals )   Can you match this price as I would rather buy off you? Also, I already have a Panasonic 42" plasma and the picture is brilliant. If you disagree and think the LCD is better then please explain as you are the expert! Thanks. Ciaran

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Chris

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Chris
    Ok Chris we are getting there! Firstly, Pansonic it is. Sorry about this, but I just checked Powercity and they have a clearance on a Panasonic - the plasma TXP42GT50B for €699. This looks like an awesome offer (link http://www.powercity.ie/?action=eoldeals )   Can you match this price as I would rather buy off you? Also, I already have a Panasonic 42" plasma and the picture is brilliant. If you disagree and think the LCD is better then please explain as you are the expert! Thanks. Ciaran
    Ciarán,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - unfortunately we cant price match the GT50 price as it's well discontinued, it is a good TV though! If you had your heart set on the GT50 we have one of our very good Customers who is selling a GT50 - I know I'd rather buy from a known Customer than a floor model from a retailer as it will almost certaintly have less hours - this one also has the 5 year warranty and some 3D glasses included at around the same priec as you are looking - if you like ( and our Customer agrees of course) we can put you two in touch?

Alternatively if you really wanted to push the boat out I'm happy to PM you a deal on the new 42GT60 which What Hi-fi have as their best TV of the year in the latest awards - give me a shout if you are interested?

Have a look at the review here:
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-tx-p42gt60b

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi guys. Ok we have some white smoke in sight at last! I decided to take the 2 boys to a store yesterday to get their input as ultimately it is for them in the den. Decision is to go for a Sony LED -  42W653. The price from Dominic Smiths I got after some negotiation was €609. On getting home and checking online the exact same price is quoted on their sites by 

Powercity http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42W653&pages=1&prod=42W653&brands=SONY&image= and also by 

Currys http://www.currys.ie/Product/SONY-BRAVIA-KDL42W653-Smart-42andrdquo-LED-TV/318126/6.9.3

Amazon quote £499stg at the moment - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL42W653-42-inch-WidescreenFreeview-Smart/dp/B00BV6411Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384781013&sr=1-1&keywords=TV+sony+42+inch+W653

Amazon also have a nice suitable rack on offer at £39stg.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designer-Habitat-Plasma-Glass-Management/dp/B005MWUFFG/ref=pd_ybh_2

So over to you guys. I have a very positive history of buying from you over the years (for more years than I care to remember!) so beat that please.

Ciaran

Hi guys. Ok we have some white smoke in sight at last! I decided to take the 2 boys to a store yesterday to get their input as ultimately it is for them in the den. Decision is to go for a Sony LED -  42W653. The price from Dominic Smiths I got after some negotiation was €609. On getting home and checking online the exact same price is quoted on their sites by 

Powercity http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42W653&pages=1&prod=42W653&brands=SONY&image= and also by 

Currys http://www.currys.ie/Product/SONY-BRAVIA-KDL42W653-Smart-42andrdquo-LED-TV/318126/6.9.3

Amazon quote £499stg at the moment - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL42W653-42-inch-WidescreenFreeview-Smart/dp/B00BV6411Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384781013&sr=1-1&keywords=TV+sony+42+inch+W653

Amazon also have a nice suitable rack on offer at £39stg.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designer-Habitat-Plasma-Glass-Management/dp/B005MWUFFG/ref=pd_ybh_2

So over to you guys. I have a very positive history of buying from you over the years (for more years than I care to remember!) so beat that please.

Ciaran
    Ciaran,

thanks for the positive post and the opportunity to quote - much appreciated!

We can do the 42W653 at £499.95 / €599.99 including the 5 year warranty and I'll do it including the TVS B3cm rack at  £529.95 - delivery would be an additional £19.95 ( that rack is seriously heavy!) Of course the 653 includes a 5 year warranty as well...

Keep us posted if we can assist and thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dermondo

Thanks

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Chris

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Chris
    If you had your heart set on the GT50 we have one of our very good Customers who is selling a GT50 - I know I'd rather buy from a known Customer than a floor model from a retailer as it will almost certaintly have less hours - this one also has the 5 year warranty and some 3D glasses included at around the same priec as you are looking - if you like ( and our Customer agrees of course) we can put you two in touch?
    Hi,

That would be absolutely now problem at all, assuming its me :)

Regards,
    Dermot.  

Dermondo wrote: »

Thanks

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Chris

Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran,

Chris
    If you had your heart set on the GT50 we have one of our very good Customers who is selling a GT50 - I know I'd rather buy from a known Customer than a floor model from a retailer as it will almost certaintly have less hours - this one also has the 5 year warranty and some 3D glasses included at around the same priec as you are looking - if you like ( and our Customer agrees of course) we can put you two in touch?
    Hi,

That would be absolutely now problem at all, assuming its me :)

Regards,
    Dermot.  
    ...we do try to look after you guys you know ;),

And the GT50 would be a far better screen than the 653..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi Dermot. Thanks for the offer but at this stage I am going to stick with the Sony that the boys picked. Am fully aware that the GT50 is brilliant as I have the GT20 myself! Good luck with selling it and someone should take you up on the offer for sure if they want an awesome picture.

Ciaran

Ciaran
    Ciaran,

thanks for the positive post and the opportunity to quote - much appreciated!

We can do the 42W653 at £499.95 / €599.99 including the 5 year warranty and I'll do it including the TVS B3cm rack at  £529.95 - delivery would be an additional £19.95 ( that rack is seriously heavy!) Of course the 653 includes a 5 year warranty as well...

Keep us posted if we can assist and thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi John and I think we are there! Just to clarify the rack - is it the same one as on your website - [font=arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]TVS ST42 Black Glass ? [/font]
    [font=arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Can we agree €650 Euro all in please? Ciaran[/font]

Hi John and I think we are there! Just to clarify that the rack is as on your website - "TVS ST42  Black Glass" ?

Can we agree €650 Euro all in please? Ciaran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there.

Unfortunately the pricing on that TV and stand is just too tight as this would essentially be free delivery.

The stand weighs a lot and when combined with the TV, the £19.95 won't cover the cost of delivery.

670 Euro is the best price that we can offer.

Keep us posted,

ATB

Dave

Hi guys. Just to close off the thread, thanks but sorry no go this time. I have manged to source a local Dublin supplier who will supply, deliver, and assemble (for a total of €650), - so we have taken that option. Thanks again and I know we will continue to do business in future.

Ciaran

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.