Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drives for Gigablue HD 800 SE

• 08-11-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A few questions:

Can external hard drives be used with this box to record and if so do they have to be powered (from wall socket) or can they be portable (just USB connection)?

Will the box accept USB3 connections or will it only accept USB2?

As for installing an internal hard drive, should it be 2.5inch or 3.5inch?

Are there any size limits on the drives that can be used?

Any recommendations on the best Hard Drives would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭swoofer

yes, and yes, but with these boxes you wont know how good it works with usb power until you try or someone with same box can verify. Under normal circunstances self powered would be best but then you need a power point. I use samsung usb portables with a different box.

usb3 is backwards compatible so will work with usb2.

i dont think this box has space for internal hdd. As for 2.5 and 3.5, this depends on the bay in a box where HDD sits, some can take both, others only one or the other. I think 2.5 spins at 5400, 3.5 is usually 7200 but 5440 is quieter.

yes, size can be software limited as well, check your box spec. how large do you want?? 500gb is a lot.

samsung, seagate, western digital, iomega.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    yes, and yes, but with these boxes you wont know how good it works with usb power until you try or someone with same box can verify. Under normal circunstances self powered would be best but then you need a power point. I use samsung usb portables with a different box.

usb3 is backwards compatible so will work with usb2.

i dont think this box has space for internal hdd. As for 2.5 and 3.5, this depends on the bay in a box where HDD sits, some can take both, others only one or the other. I think 2.5 spins at 5400, 3.5 is usually 7200 but 5440 is quieter.

yes, size can be software limited as well, check your box spec. how large do you want?? 500gb is a lot.

samsung, seagate, western digital, iomega.

Thanks GB

I will give it a go with my portable WD which is USB3. Just wanted to be careful because for the Ariva boxes it is recommended not to use portable drives and only use power ones.

I know you can put a 2.5 Hard Drive in the Gigablue Quad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My brother has 1 of these boxes and has an external 2.5" USB3 WD drive connected to it for recording/time shift with no problems, the only thing to note is that the drive will be linux formatted (ext2 or3) so you won't be able to view it on a windows system.

Clareman wrote: »
    My brother has 1 of these boxes and has an external 2.5" USB3 WD drive connected to it for recording/time shift with no problems, the only thing to note is that the drive will be linux formatted (ext2 or3) so you won't be able to view it on a windows system.

Thanks for that very important info. - having to format the drive to Linux.

Do you or your bro. know if it can take an internal drive?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm almost positive that they can't but I can't find a picture of the internals of it online at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

The Gigablue 8OO Quad takes a 2.5 inch internal drive or you can force in a 3.5 inch drive depending on the type....

not sure bout the gigablue 8o0 se or ue

USB PVR unterschtützung von externen HDD (HDD Optional)

Google translate does not translate 'unterschtützung'

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm almost positive that they can't but I can't find a picture of the internals of it online at the moment.

I can't find one either - thanks for looking

"New standards will set the new GigabBlue receiver. Equipped with the necessary modern features and users should have a fair price for a receiver at home to be their wishes in all matters. In the period of high definition television sets sail with the Gigablue quality image resolution in HD format in the eye. The fast switching it is a further feature. Smooth recordings to an external hard drive allow archiving desired series or movies easily."

• Advertisement

"New standards will set the new GigabBlue receiver. Equipped with the necessary modern features and users should have a fair price for a receiver at home to be their wishes in all matters. In the period of high definition television sets sail with the Gigablue quality image resolution in HD format in the eye. The fast switching it is a further feature. Smooth recordings to an external hard drive allow archiving desired series or movies easily."

Your great at finding info. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

USB PVR unterschtützung von externen HDD (HDD Optional)

Google translate does not translate 'unterschtützung'

It is a spelling mistake on their website, should say unterstützung which means supports as in supports external USB

So the conclusion is that it supports only an external hard drive both electrically powered and USB powered and the drive must be formatted to Linux.

Cheers guys

Advertisement