Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The science of Doctor Who

• 08-11-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

This looks interesting!!

Further details and the airdate have been announced for The Science of Doctor Who, one of the special programmes to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

For one night only, Professor Brian Cox explores the universe of the world’s favourite Time Lord, Doctor Who.

Brian takes an audience, with the help of celebrity guests, on a journey into the wonderful universe of The Doctor, in a specially recorded programme from the lecture theatre of the Royal Institution of Great Britain.

Brian reveals the science behind the spectacle and explains the physics that allows Doctor Who to travel through space and time. Fun, but filled with real science, it’s a special night for Who fans as well anyone with a thirst for understanding.

Brian is in the unique position of knowing The Doctor’s universe inside out as well as the reality behind the drama. When the TARDIS travels through time and space, Brian understands the physics involved. And when it comes to life on other planets, Brian knows the real science that could prove extra-terrestrial life might just really exist in our galaxy.

The show airs Thursday 14 November at 9pm on BBC2.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-science-of-doctor-who-54374.htm

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It was done in book form:
    51HCcAvUw3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg
    in "The Science of Doctor Who" by Paul Parsons which went into quite a lot of detail and was well worth buying. Doubt Cox's docu will be as thorough but it could be a bit of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'll watch it, and most likely really enjoy it.

However I can't be the only one who really doesn't get why Prof. Cox is so famous and well-liked. I think he's a bit of a ponce really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'll watch it, and most likely really enjoy it.

However I can't be the only one who really doesn't get why Prof. Cox is so famous and well-liked. I think he's a bit of a ponce really.

Eh, he's something, and would be glad he exists. When he first heard about Dr. Cox, my brother, a chuffy physicist, relished at the prospect of a massively popular, heavily broadcast scientist, but came away somewhat disappointed with a wry 'it's less content and more guffawing'. I'd call it consensus, but I tend to limit my exposure to physics-majors because......THEY'RE ALWAYS BRINGING ME DOWN.

Right, who turned on the extractor in my gene pool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Eh, he's something, and would be glad he exists. When he first heard about Dr. Cox, my brother, a chuffy physicist, relished at the prospect of a massively popular, heavily broadcast scientist, but came away somewhat disappointed with a wry 'it's less content and more guffawing'. I'd call it consensus, but I tend to limit my exposure to physics-majors because......THEY'RE ALWAYS BRINGING ME DOWN.

Right, who turned on the extractor in my gene pool?

TBH I always say him as a bit of a wannabe Carl Sagan or Bill Nye type for the new generation.

He's undoubtedly very intelligent, but I don't know... he just seems like a bit of a tool on a few occasions I've seen him.

The plus side is he is a massive Doctor Who fan and will probably be very good on the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I can't stand watching him, as a Physics grad (find 99% of popular science makes me grind my teeth due to simplifications/inaccuracies), but I love that he exists. He makes science sound as interesting as I've always found it, and makes it more socially acceptable to feel that way. Which is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Maybe I'm his target market as a non-science grad who played with chemistry sets as a child but I love his shows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

This was the scene that really made me like him

its the last line "And that why I love Physics"

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

just watching it , enjoying it , space time and getting spaggetified are not things i come across every day but i will watch it and see what i learn or more understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just finished watching it there. Knew most of it already but thoroughly enjoyed it none the less. I've to teach an engineering class on Saturday the 23rd. Will definitely cover some of it.

Advertisement