Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No sodium salt.. is it available?

Options
  • 08-11-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

Where could I get no sodium salt? I know I can get lo salt but it still has about 30% sodium in it. Is there any sodium free salt available out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Where could I get no sodium salt? I know I can get lo salt but it still has about 30% sodium in it. Is there any sodium free salt available out there?

I don't know if it's available. Your body needs sodium to function.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lo lo salt is a mixture of 2 salts, sodium chloride and potassium chloride.

Is there any reason you specifically want to reduce sodium chloride. Are you sure potassium chloride would be OK?

i.e. they are both salts, so it could be like a doctor recommending you to "give up the beer" and drinking whiskey as an alternative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Salt that you buy is a combination of sodium (Na) and chlorine (Cl). Combined they make NaCl, sodium chloride. Their are plenty of other salts which replace the sodium with other elements such as potassium (KCl) and magnesium (MgCl2). Whether these are edible or even available to the public I don't know. But in short yes such a thing does exist.

Edit; Runadub beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

rubadub wrote: »
    Is there any reason you specifically want to reduce sodium chloride. Are you sure potassium chloride would be OK?

I need it for a relative who was put on a strict no/very low sodium diet. Obviously sodium will naturally be present in a lot of foods but no extra sodium is allowed in his diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Your relative would be best asking a dietician or nutritionist to suggest alternatives. Their doctor should be able to recommend one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Hi
    heres a little info on low salts diet (i know its in relation to blood pressure but it still applies if your relative has some other condition where they need to keep salt low such as kidneys problems)

http://www.indi.ie/fact-sheets/fact-sheets-on-clinical-conditions/521-understanding-blood-pressure.html

http://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/hypertension.pdf

http://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/Salt.pdf

I would aslo second the recommendation for consulting a qualified dietitian, just be sure to go through your doctor so they can put you in touch with a properly qualified professional.

:)

Advertisement