Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 Jobs gone in the last month

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Sad to see Honeywell measurex will be closing down with a lose of 27 jobs i worked there at one stage many years ago and im sure all those 27 people have by now 30+ years service

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0211/503680-honeywell-process-solutions/

In the news and star today that 36 jobs to go with the closure of intacta print at the airport business park.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Are there incentives for companies to open in the other 4 cities that we don't have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Isn't there another building out there, a big green one? I take it that's staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Isn't there another building out there, a big green one? I take it that's staying?

Looking for people to take redundancies out there the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

There's a worrying trend in the pharmaceutical sector where 150 jobs have gone in Kildare recently in Pfizer, Its no longer logical to pay Irish people anything from 20-35000 in production in a pharmaceutical plant when it can be done in India for 2,500-5000. Share holders see this and I think most production jobs in Ireland will move eventually to cheaper countries. I think our new sectors will be in computers, Google facebook and the like, that wont keep the country going, maybe Farming will go back to 50% of GDP

Genzyme had a problem a few years ago where an Indian company were trying to copy some of their products but because the water quality in the region was so bad they couldn't make a proper product. Irish pharma is safe enough, it's well trusted around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

yer man! wrote: »
    Genzyme had a problem a few years ago where an Indian company were trying to copy some of their products but because the water quality in the region was so bad they couldn't make a proper product. Irish pharma is safe enough, it's well trusted around the world.

There's a huge pharma sector in India. There is also a problem in Ireland when products come off copy right(not the right wording) sure that's what happened Pfizer in cork when jobs were lost because anybody could make the product. I think there's a 20 year right on products. There's also a huge medical instrument industry in India. Google BBC Panora medical instruments in India. It doesnt matter how sh'tty or terrible the products or instruments are made, once the costs are right. They(BBC Panorama) reckon most of the problems with MRSA are because of the quality of medical instruments made in India and Pakistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

There's a huge pharma sector in India. There is also a problem in Ireland when products come off copy right(not the right wording) sure that's what happened Pfizer in cork when jobs were lost because anybody could make the product. I think there's a 20 year right on products. There's also a huge medical instrument industry in India. Google BBC Panora medical instruments in India. It doesnt matter how sh'tty or terrible the products or instruments are made, once the costs are right. They(BBC Panorama) reckon most of the problems with MRSA are because of the quality of medical instruments made in India and Pakistan.

"Patent" is the word you're looking for.

zetalambda wrote: »
    "Patent" is the word you're looking for.

Wow that really makes me look stupid. Its like when I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that wine making course I forgot how to drive? That's because you were drunk! and how!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Are there incentives for companies to open in the other 4 cities that we don't have?

Larger population plus Waterford has a bad reputation for union-friendly work shy wasters who spend more time banging on about their rights than actually doing a hard day's work. No company would take a risk on us because of that. I have seen characters like that in every single place I have worked in Waterford (including the major factories). Harsh but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

India is having serious issue with quality control. If you buy an Irish made medicine you know it will do what its supposed to do and safe.India on the other hand has serious issues with quality control and counterfeit products. The America FDA is cracking down on poor quality India medicine

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/world/asia/medicines-made-in-india-set-off-safety-worries.html?_r=0

Ireland has a reputation for quality and safety. Something India would have for years

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    India is having serious issue with quality control. If you buy an Irish made medicine you know it will do what its supposed to do and safe.India on the other hand has serious issues with quality control and counterfeit products. The America FDA is cracking down on poor quality India medicine

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/world/asia/medicines-made-in-india-set-off-safety-worries.html?_r=0

Ireland has a reputation for quality and safety. Something India would have for years

Its not going to stop production though. unless like you said theres proper regulation. In the BBC Panorama documentary they showed how they got around certain laws and regulations. They bought german metal for medical instruments and used 2 percent of the german metal in their instruments and the rest was from all over the shop but because they had bought german metal they printed on the instruments made in Germany which helped them sell the product. The work was also outsourced in India ten fold till you had people at the side of a street with open sewers sharpening medical instuments. They were also found to recycling medical instruments. As i said before take a look on youtube for the documentary BBC Panorama medical instruments in India absolutely shocking. Its the tip of the ice berg though China have started to oursource their work to Nigeria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

I hope more places close down and more jobs are lost in the city, 200 job losses in one month is just not enough, it is just my personal opinion, anyone who tries to silence me is impeding my right to free speech.

For me I just revel in doom and gloom.

So, How about that Bears game??

Advertisement