Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do for a reference

Options
  • 08-11-2013 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So a bit of background I was left go from my job about a year ago along with a few colleagues we all brought the company for unfair dismissal ( some have settled out of court and others have won there case but i'm still waiting for a date on hearing )

But in the mean time I have been constantly looking for work and I have had a few interviews but it always goes the same way...I go for the interview it all seems to go well but then I either never hear back from the company/agency again or I don't get the job...

I am convinced this is because my last employer is giving a bad reference..

But what can I do..I was in my last job for 6 years so I can't just leave them out of my CV
    If I tell the truth of what happened in an interview I won't get the job, if I say I left of my own accord and they ring ex employer and find out otherwise I won't get the job...

At this stage I am close to giving up even applying as when I don't get the job or never hear from them again I get very down...

I have even tried applying for different industries but I could not even get a xmas job with Tesco...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Who are you putting down as a referee ?
    Have you talked about it with them ?

Get a friend or family member to ring looking for a reference to find out what they are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Who are you putting down as a referee ?
    Have you talked about it with them ?

Get a friend or family member to ring looking for a reference to find out what they are saying.

I have reference available at request on CV, But I have never been asked for a reference I presume they ring my old company direct and ask for HR.

I asked the employer when I was leaving what to expect reference wise and they said that they don't give out reference for any employee, I had thought of getting a friend to ring alright not sure what difference it would make though other then I would know 100% im getting a bad reference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I am convinced this is because my last employer is giving a bad reference..

Not sure based on your follow up that this is the case,or at least it is a jump, most companies would not ring another employer without getting a reference or point of contact certainly not all your interview panels.

I would look at the parts of the process in your control, your CV your interview style etc as I respectively suggest that the problem more likely lies here.
    Certainly get on to the agency you have dealt with and get feedback ,while difficult to get it is possible with perseverance.
    has the same agency every contacted you for different positions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not sure based on your follow up that this is the case,or at least it is a jump, most companies would not ring another employer without getting a reference or point of contact certainly not all your interview panels.

I would look at the parts of the process in your control, your CV your interview style etc as I respectively suggest that the problem more likely lies here.
    Certainly get on to the agency you have dealt with and get feedback ,while difficult to get it is possible with perseverance.
    has the same agency every contacted you for different positions ?

Well regards my CV more then one agency has said my CV is very strong so I don't think it is that but I am considering getting another done by a professional agency.

With regards my interview style this may sound silly but I hope this is the case as this is something I could improve on ( even though I feel I interview strongly )

And the agencies I have yet to hear from the same agency twice and the only feedback I get is the usual that others had more experience etc etc, which may be correct but some roles I went for I knew that I had plenty experience in that role..

Thanks for the replies I know there is not much I can do about it only plug away and keep trying , I just want to work and earn some crust but unfortunately it feels like I will be on the dole forever

Advertisement