Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Ireland connect to the internet?

• 08-11-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

So I was taking to someone recently about Irish internet and they asked me a question I could not answer. How does Ireland connect to the internet?

So how does it? How does Ireland connect to the rest of the world?

I know that it used to be through RTE or UCD years and years ago and that all traffic went through there but thats not the case any more. So how does it work now? Does all our traffic go through the UK? Do we connect directly to pipe lines and if so which ones.

Anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

drumswan wrote: »

tbh mate that does not answer my question. I know that INEX are the Internet Exchange Point, but thats exactly it, they are an Internet Exchange Point. Also their FAQ does not explain how Ireland connects to the rest of the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

There's some high tension string, twisted into pairs and coated with melted rubber from discarded and worn out welly boots, this is then run from poles with a maximum lean of 1 degrees in places to the NSA headquarters and onwards to the interweb. Simples :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

So I was taking to someone recently about Irish internet and they asked me a question I could not answer. How does Ireland connect to the internet?

So how does it? How does Ireland connect to the rest of the world?

www.irelandoffline.org/map
    All Ireland tab - international cables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

bealtine wrote: »
    www.irelandoffline.org/map
    All Ireland tab - international cables

Thanks bealtine, exactly what I was looking for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

there are huge transatlantic and transeuropan fibre optic cables running across the sea bed connecting us to the rest of the world

alcatel_large.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

I'd say at 200mbits I connect very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Have a look at www.hostinireland.com and download the free report - it shows the name and owner of each of the cable crossings out of Ireland & lots of other stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Irish ISPs get their international transit from various Tier 1 providers such as C&W or Tinet (who would in turn own/rent fibre on the submarine cables shown in the map above).

Big companies like Google and Amazon would have their own transit arrangements - Irish ISPs can peer directly with these companies via INEX to gain access to their services without incurring additional transit costs (though in reality I believe international transit is quite cheap these days).

• Advertisement
Advertisement