Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Without a COA sticker am I stuck?

• 08-11-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

One of the guys in my house asked me to install Ubuntu on an old Compaq v3218tu machine he had. I did so but he didn't like it so asked me to put Vista back on. Guess what - he has no DVD and the COA sticker on the bottom has been pulled off (or worn off)! Somehow this is now my problem. Bloody hell :(

I managed to find a Compaq Win XP CD, had to go and slipstream SP2 into it as the Compaq has a SATA drive, installed it but wouldn't you know it didn't activate automatically and I can't activate. Wish I'd never seen this thing and I'm not getting involved with cracks and the like.

I'd buy one from HP but they aren't available anymore. Is this game over then? Should I just tell him to buy Windows 7 - I think the machine has 1GB of memory? Vista and XP retail CDs are available on Ebay but are actually more expensive than buying a W7 key from Amazon!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Is there any other writing visible on the COA sticker or a partial code available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭carveone

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Is there any other writing visible on the COA sticker or a partial code available?

Nope - there's no COA sticker at all! Someone must have nicked it. For some reason this guy refuses to believe that I can't magically fix it (just cause I work with computers I suppose)...

I believe Vista is like 7 in that, once you have the COA, you can use the code on it to activate using any Vista DVD (not just the official Compaq one like with XP). You could certainly download Vista at some point and you can (currently) download 7 from an official Microsoft source (Digital River) and then buy just the Product key online.

I believe Vista is like 7 in that, once you have the COA, you can use the code on it to activate using any Vista DVD (not just the official Compaq one like with XP).

Unfortunately not, It is an OEM key that would have come with the computer and needs the OEM build - If you have another OEM key for compaq you might get lucky but no guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭carveone

Unfortunately not, It is an OEM key that would have come with the computer and needs the OEM build - If you have another OEM key for compaq you might get lucky but no guarantee.

Ok, so I guess my options are: hunt about for a Compaq OEM Windows Vista DVD and cross fingers; get this guy to go out and cough up money (not a chance!). Or the Carlsberg option - accidently drop it several times :p

Pity it isn't a Dell. I'm up to my ears in Dells at work.

Seems so. best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

I have a worn, partly illegible COA sticker on the bottom of my Dell Inspiron 15R. The hard drive gave up on me and my DVD recovery back ups are scratched and useless.
    I've downloaded a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (same as COA sticker) from iriver (eh, Digital River), I've read that I'm legally entitled to do this but it is not accepting my COA number in any of the various versions I think it might be. Is there anything I can do about this?

I have a worn, partly illegible COA sticker on the bottom of my Dell Inspiron 15R. The hard drive gave up on me and my DVD recovery back ups are scratched and useless.
    I've downloaded a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (same as COA sticker) from iriver (eh, Digital River), I've read that I'm legally entitled to do this but it is not accepting my COA number in any of the various versions I think it might be. Is there anything I can do about this?

Nothing you can do other than get a replacement recovery disc from dell. Dell should also have the key on file as per your service tag. If not, Microsoft can try assist with a partial key if you call their licensing team.

The reason your downloaded version will not work even though its identical in version, OEM builds are different to retail builds in terms of licensing. The only version that will work with your key is the DELL OEM Build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Apologies for bringing up an old thread but it might be worth mentioning that occasionally you can find the Windows COA sticker at the back of the battery compartment so you need to take the battery out to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I had the same problem with a Vista HP desktop with the sticker only half visible, so I rang Microsoft and they asked me to take a picture of it and email it to them and within 5 mins they sent me a new key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

carveone wrote: »
    ...One of the guys in my house asked me to install Ubuntu on an old Compaq v3218tu machine he had. I did so but he didn't like it so asked me to put Vista back on....

Install a 90-day trial of Windows 8 that will get them off your back. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement