Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dedicated Video Ram

Options
  • 08-11-2013 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

I can't play a certain game in my laptop because I don't have the dedicated video ram.It needs 128 but I have 64.Is there anyway of freeing this up?Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

I suspect the ram referred to is the graphics card and not the system ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Generally you can't, unless it is shared memory then you might be able to allocate more. It shouldn't be that low though unless the laptop is around 10 years old or was extremely cheap. What processor or graphics card are in it?

Ram is something you can get more of, not something you can free up. It's not saying you need x amount free, you just need x amount.

Check your game here, if it says you can run it you have an issue somewhere, if it says you can't run it you probably just can't. http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

TheBoffin wrote: »
    I suspect the ram referred to is the graphics card and not the system ram.

That's exactly what he just said. Video card and graphics card are sometimes used interchangeably although it's actually the graphics card, and given it's a laptop it's probably a graphics chip/processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

GarIT wrote: »
    Generally you can't, unless it is shared memory then you might be able to allocate more.

Check in the bios for this. 64 sounds so low that I would guess it is shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Generally you can't, unless it is shared memory then you might be able to allocate more. It shouldn't be that low though unless the laptop is around 10 years old or was extremely cheap. What processor or graphics card are in it?

Ram is something you can get more of, not something you can free up. It's not saying you need x amount free, you just need x amount.

It's a toshiba satellite L750 bought it in 2012 for 500/600 euro can't understand it either.Its an intel i5 processor and my graphics card is Intel (R) hd graphics family.Thanks for the reply

• Advertisement

Check your game here, if it says you can run it you have an issue somewhere, if it says you can't run it you probably just can't. http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Checked it there that's where I noticed the problem,it shouldn't be that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

What game is it?

What game is it?

Football manager 2014. 2012 was the last one I had and that worked.

Meglamonia wrote: »
    It's a toshiba satellite L750 bought it in 2012 for 500/600 euro can't understand it either.Its an intel i5 processor and my graphics card is Intel (R) hd graphics family.Thanks for the reply

Do you know which i5? they range from completely useless to great. Intel processors don't do dedicated graphics ram, but you may be able to change the 64 value in the bios to something higher. Check if you can run the game first.

Do you know which i5? they range from completely useless to great. Intel processors don't do dedicated graphics ram, but you may be able to change the 64 value in the bios to something higher. Check if you can run the game first.

Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2430M CPU @2.40 ghz..that's exactly what it says sorry not great with this stuff.Would you think the game may still run just not to it's fastest speed?

• Advertisement

Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2430M CPU @2.40 ghz..that's exactly what it says sorry not great with this stuff.Would you think the game may still run just not to it's fastest speed?

That's pretty much average for an i5 I think. I wouldn't have a clue if it will run or not, you need to go to the link I posted earlier, use automatic detection when it asks, just click yes or run to anything it asks and it will tell you if you should be able to run it.

That's pretty much average for an i5 I think. I wouldn't have a clue if it will run or not, you need to go to the link I posted earlier, use automatic detection when it asks, just click yes or run to anything it asks and it will tell you if you should be able to run it.

Yeah done that passed everything bar the video ram requirement.Might buy it and give it a go anyway,cheers for your help.

Yeah done that passed everything bar the video ram requirement.Might buy it and give it a go anyway,cheers for your help.

If you keep pressing the f2 key as your laptop is starting up you should be brought to the bios, don't change any settings, just look for shared graphics memory, if you can find that it should be safe to change to 128. Then navigate to the furthest menu on the right and select save and exit.

If you keep pressing the f2 key as your laptop is starting up you should be brought to the bios, don't change any settings, just look for shared graphics memory, if you can find that it should be safe to change to 128. Then navigate to the furthest menu on the right and select save and exit.

Yeah tried that but couldn't find it think it isn't available on some laptops :(

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

I can't play a certain game in my laptop because I don't have the dedicated video ram.It needs 128 but I have 64.Is there anyway of freeing this up?Thanks in advance

boot into your bios

most computers with integrated gpu's can allow you to assign upto 512mb ram to the gpu.

here is an example of how to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

http://www.ehow.com/how_6542894_change-shared-memory-bios-toshiba.html
    - Restart your Toshiba laptop.
    - Press the indicated key to enter BIOS. This is typically one of the F keys or "Del."
    - Highlight the "Integrated Peripherals" menu and press "Enter."
    - Highlight the "Shared Memory Size" entry and press "Enter. "
    - Select the desired amount of shared memory and press "Enter" to confirm.

However, I've seen posts claiming some Toshiba models use dynamic allocation with no manual control.

Snowbat wrote: »
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6542894_change-shared-memory-bios-toshiba.html
    - Restart your Toshiba laptop.
    - Press the indicated key to enter BIOS. This is typically one of the F keys or "Del."
    - Highlight the "Integrated Peripherals" menu and press "Enter."
    - Highlight the "Shared Memory Size" entry and press "Enter. "
    - Select the desired amount of shared memory and press "Enter" to confirm.

However, I've seen posts claiming some Toshiba models use dynamic allocation with no manual control.

Yeah I've no manual control :(

Advertisement