Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat and housemate problem

• 08-11-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Im hoping someone can come up with a sugestion.

We have a 1 year old cat and a dog. Recently we agreed to let a friend of ours rent a room in our house for a few months.

She knew we had animals before she moved in and told me that while she is not a cat person, she will get over it.

Now, everytime the door opens the cat tries to bolt so we made the decision a few weeks ago to have her spayed. We brought her back today to get her stiches removed and thought that from today we could let her out and take her in at night. However, we have to get her injections again as she only only had one initial injection when she was a kitten.

We informed our friend that it will be 1 month before the cat can be let out and she seems a bit annoyed. She told us that she doesnt wanna sound like a bitch as it's our house but she just doesnt like cats.

I feel all awkward now with the cat in the house as our friend is paying rent. Im wondering is their a solution.

At present we have her sectioned in a room but she goes mad meowing to get out. This even seems to annoy our friend. So what do we do? And suggestions please.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

So she knew there was a cat in the house when she moved in? (just to clarify)

Cause if it was my 'friend' I'd be telling her in no uncertain terms quite what the big rectangular hole in the wall is for and that she should feel free to use it any time.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but your friend knew there was a cat and from the sounds of it now is making difficulty over it. I'd have little time for that behaviour.

(also it's really not very fair on your cat being locked in a room, nor is it very good for it's well being.)

I realise that's not much of a solution but the best I can do is to look for another lodger if you need the rent.
    Plenty of people would be delighted to live in a house with animals if they can't have their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Odelay

It's only a cat and only for four weeks, she'll manage if she is any kind of friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Mine's a fairly blunt answer I'm afraid.If you value your friendship I would end the living arrangement with them as soon as possible, if it was me.

I've lived with both cat lovers and cat haters and I never ever want to live with someone who doesn't like cats (or animals in general) again. I had one of my good friends live with me for 6mths last year and for the most part we got on fantastic, bar her dislike of cats. It was the ONLY source of tension between us and both of us agreed we would have fallen out big time if it was any longer.

You'll end up tip toeing around your own house and won't be able to relax (or your cat) for fear of upsetting her. If she's irritated now, I swear it won't get any better unless she miraculously learns to like them over time.

For the sake of your sanity and friendship,I'd save yourself and your pet the heartache to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Cat lives there. Your mate is only staying. If she really doesn't like cats, then she knows what to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

A true friend wouldn't put you in such a predicament. She knew that you had a cat and still chose to move in. The cat is family and she is a paying guest. Either she can handle living with a cat for a month or she needs to move out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

She'll just have to stay outside while the cat is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mustlove everyone

Reminds me of a funny picture I saw on facebook recently, something to the effect of "remember, you are just a guest, my pets live here" - very apt in this situation I think.

I agree with anniehoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If the mods would allow it I'd share some web links to some rescues that might be able to rehome your housemate :-)

Joking aside, housemate knew the score before she moved in.
    How much is it her disliking the cat or just being a drama queen?
    Tell her you understand she dislikes the cat and understand if she wants to move -but the cat ain't going anywhere.
    Maybe she won't dislike the cat so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

If the mods would allow it I'd share some web links to some rescues that might be able to rehome your housemate :-)

Just squirted wine over my laptop from my nose

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I have a beloved cat too. Solution is simple. Offer the door to your housemate. It's your house and the cat is part of the family. I don't see why you should feel under pressure to put the cat out just to suit your friend. The cat is there to stay, your friend isn't, best solution all round would be for your friend to move out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Before you go all "its you or the cat" on her - have you asked her what she expects you to do? Maybe there is something small that could be changed to keep everyone happy.

Advertisement