Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isn't the PS3 a great console?

Options
  • 08-11-2013 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Since we're coming to the end of the PS3's era, it just got me thinking what a great console it is./ Rocky start no denying, but Sony really got the ball rolling in 2009 with the great games.
    It introduced PSN+, easily the best value subscription service out of the two (xbox live or the other one), it gave me blu rays, all sorts. And those games. Exclusives alone, looking at my gaming shelf/trophy list

Uncharted 1,23,
    Heavy rain
    Killzone 2,3
    Metal gear solid 4
    God of war 3
    God of war ascension
    The last of us
    Infamous 1,2
    Super stardust
    Dead nation
    Journey
    Flower
    Resistance 1 and 3
    Little big planet 1,2
    Ratchet and clank future series
    Ni no Kuni
    Various HD collections
    Wipeout HD
    Heavenly sword

Fantastic 6 years of gaming.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

How did the Tekken's work out? I have't played one since the ps2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Apparently they're not bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought it was a terrible console at first. I got mine a year after launch and nothing worth playing on it really other than uncharted was worth playing on it for a year and I was better off getting third party games for my 360.

After Valkyria Chronicles things picked up. 360 exclusives dried out and there's been a steady stream of exclusive games on the PS3 that have been very high quality.

Over it's life span it went from a total waste of money to a console that I would rank better than the 360.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Add dragons dogma to that list and were laughing .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Enjoyed this earlier.

I was a Playstation nut so I got a PS3 as soon as I could. Ended up slightly underwhelmed by the early games on offer, and had to replace two of them when they stopped working. I've had my current PS3 for just over fours years and Uncharted 2 was pretty much the turning point when I would show friends the game and they would say "Okay, now I HAVE to get a PS3".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Was loving the xbox, was lucky enough to get a ps3 free of charge in early 2010 and it soon became my main console. Have since gotten rid of my xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

CrinkElite wrote: »
    How did the Tekken's work out? I have't played one since the ps2 days.

Tekken tag tournament 2 was released about this time last year. Brilliant game for the series, I really enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Enjoyed this earlier.

I was a Playstation nut so I got a PS3 as soon as I could. Ended up slightly underwhelmed by the early games on offer, and had to replace two of them when they stopped working. I've had my current PS3 for just over fours years and Uncharted 2 was pretty much the turning point when I would show friends the game and they would say "Okay, now I HAVE to get a PS3".

Tara Long, you beautiful creature you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Anyone remember folklore? Its been sitting on my shelf since christmas 2007, still only played about an hour of it. Quite enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Got my PS3 thrown into a deal when I was buying a TV didnt really want it but I kinda said feck it I'm getting it rediculousl cheap so why not. Turned out to love my PS3 more than my Xbox, the uncharted series are by far my favourite games of this generation. It had the better exclusives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Got mine for Xmas in 2009, never played it really then gradually I began to play it more often and now it is my main console.
    Its comparable to a guy stuck in friendzone who eventually got the girl :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Had the 360 at lauch, it died, got another, it too died! Got the fat ps3 then and it's lasted me til this day. A fantastic console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,419 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Great games, a ****ing disaster of a piece of hardware / OS design though. Incredibly sluggish and user unfriendly menus. Interminably long updating process, with the updates themselves often crippling features that didn't need fixing. Half broken online features such as the store, download capabilities, trophy system etc...

It's software catalogue came on leaps and bounds over its lifespan, but I still shudder everytime I need to navigate the XMB. Although Microsoft making the 360 OS worse with every recent update has made the PS3 look slightly favourable in comparison, and at least it doesn't sound like an out of control hairdryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's OK. Had a terrible start but really picked up in the last three or so years. Still held back by a truly awful joypad though. You get the feeling that the great games worked almost in spite of the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Great games, a ****ing disaster of a piece of hardware / OS design though. Incredibly sluggish and user unfriendly menus. Interminably long updating process, with the updates themselves often crippling features that didn't need fixing. Half broken online features such as the store, download capabilities, trophy system etc...

It's software catalogue came on leaps and bounds over its lifespan, but I still shudder everytime I need to navigate the XMB. Although Microsoft making the 360 OS worse with every recent update has made the PS3 look slightly favourable in comparison, and at least it doesn't sound like an out of control hairdryer.
    Bloody hell, didn't know anyone could hate the XMB so much! I thought it was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I completely agree with this.

I have both consoles for the last 3 years and the Xbox is definitely my main console. I only use my PS3 for exclusives.

Firstly, the lack of party chat is crazy. Having bought an Xbox first it was very hard not being able to co-ordinate easily with people in a party, or talk to someone when we were playing different games.

The install/patching system was "not very good" (I would be banned from this forum if I said exactly what I thought of it). I recently stuck in a fairly new game, and between patching & installing, it was about 45 mins from inserting the disk (I've 100Mb UPC) and jumping into the first level. I'm used to the patches for the Xbox being quite small and adding no more than 2 mins (if you are very unlucky). Stick in LBP (on a console which it has never run before), and tell me how long it takes from disk insertion to level 1.

They are also the small touches, on the Xbox I can see what games are my friends are playing, and what they are doing in that game. On the PS3, I can see what game they are playing (if they are online), but if they are offline, you can't see what they were playing, even if they were online a minute ago.

The lack of being able to add friends (or send messages) via the web interface is also a pain (maybe not a problem with the console itself, but typical of the lack of attention to detail with the PS3 generally).

IMHO, The XMB is a pain to navigate. I really dislike the UI, despite having customised the balls off it.

To sum up, I would also say, absolutely brilliant exclusive games, but generally not a great console in comparison to it's competitor. I much prefer my Xbox360. Having said all that I think Sony have fixed a lot of my gripes with the current generation. I'm opting for a PS4 instead of an Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

cloud493 wrote: »
    Anyone remember folklore? Its been sitting on my shelf since christmas 2007, still only played about an hour of it. Quite enjoyable.

Same here. It's sitting on my shelf too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I have around two thousand songs on me oul PS3. Plus a shít load of movies, tv series' and games. Apparently its impossible to convert them over to PS4 (except games through PS Store). That's a major pain in the bollíx and one of the reasons the PS3 is a great oul console..

Edit: Even though my blu ray player has been fúcked for ages so most games won't even work unless I download them. Still got me tunes though:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I actually bought Folklore for €2 in a charity shop on Abbey Street a couple of weeks back. The Irish accents are awful but it's not a bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Tara Long, you beautiful creature you.

If I could handpick my future wife, Tara Long would definitely be first choice. Beautiful creature indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

She knows sweet f all about games though. I could never marry someone that didn't think Shadow of the Colossus was great.

How the hell are people finding it hard to navagate the XMB? It couldn't be more simple :confused:
    nocoverart wrote: »
    If I could handpick my future wife, Tara Long would definitely be first choice. Beautiful creature indeed.
    Just googled her. Píss off, she's mine :pac:

Cienciano wrote: »
    How the hell are people finding it hard to navagate the XMB? It couldn't be more simple :confused:

Oh it's wonderful. Games, nice and simple. Music, simple again. Video, nicely laid out. System.... what is this cluster****!!!

Their system menu needs to be far better laid out and user friendly. Instead it's a place to shove all the techy stuff.

I don't care about the xbar any more. To busy googling Tara Long

Tara-Long-Destructoid-Animated.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can't say it ever had me in tears of anything but joy. It's flawed, but the games.... DEM GAMEZ.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

RSV2

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

The PS3 is such a great console in my opinion,, that even though I bought mine 6 years ago,, I still play it and use it everyday. I recently bought the new Batman Arkam Origins,, and the graphics are amazing,, very little difference between the PS3 and PS4 version,, t

Infact, I refuse to be caught up with the hype for the new PS4,, I am not convinced it is a 'next generation console'.. for that I would expect to be wearing a pair of Google Glasses with amazing motion detection,, etc... I remember the leap from super nintendo to N64,, now that was amazing...

The PS4, is more of a bit of an upgrade to the PS3,, if we are all honest with ourselves.. bah,, Il probably still buy one.. but I'm still very happy with my PS3..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

superman28 wrote: »
    The PS3 is such a great console in my opinion,, that even though I bought mine 6 years ago,, I still play it and use it everyday. I recently bought the new Batman Arkam Origins,, and the graphics are amazing,, very little difference between the PS3 and PS4 version,, t

Infact, I refuse to be caught up with the hype for the new PS4,, I am not convinced it is a 'next generation console'.. for that I would expect to be wearing a pair of Google Glasses with amazing motion detection,, etc... I remember the leap from super nintendo to N64,, now that was amazing...

The PS4, is more of a bit of an upgrade to the PS3,, if we are all honest with ourselves.. bah,, Il probably still buy one.. but I'm still very happy with my PS3..

it will be a big upgrade you just wont see it right away but give it a year or so
    look at launch games from this gen then compare them to games coming out this year on the same gen

games are limited in what they can have onscreen on PS3/360
    just imagine all the background shiz going on now thats possible with these new consoles its gonna be great

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My PS3 is going since it was bought on launch day,I still have games that haven't been played yet due to lack of time but I'm getting through them,every time I turn it on I end up going "sure I'll play Pro Evo for 2 matches then play something else",you all know that nobody just plays Pro Evo for only half an hour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement