Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how hard is it to get a d3 in honors english?

• 08-11-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

hi, just wondering would it be hard to pass honours English. all's I need is a d3, any advice appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's not excruciating, but you need to put in some work. Mostly for Paper 2. Poetry you'll have to know 4 poets, 3 poems each, the play you'll have to know the theme/issue and some other topic, and the novel is generally cultural context or theme/issue also. So many quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Not very. Know some basic themes and quotes relating to a long list of poets and pieces of literature and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cossi

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    It's not excruciating, but you need to put in some work. Mostly for Paper 2. Poetry you'll have to know 4 poets, 3 poems each, the play you'll have to know the theme/issue and some other topic, and the novel is generally cultural context or theme/issue also. So many quotes.
    That's five poets. Probability could be incredibly cruel and you could end up with the other four on the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

A97 wrote: »
    That's five poets. Probability could be incredibly cruel and you could end up with the other four on the day.

1.4% chance. Fairly unlikely it'll be that cruel, but you never know, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

If you want easy to remember poems go with Yeats and Dickinson. Both rhyme in pretty much every poem so are easy to remember but you can also talk a lot about them because the poems aren't that complicated but are interesting at the same time.

The other poets would be up to you. We do 5 poets (5 poems of each) So you'll be doing a lot less work than us and a lot of people but you should manage a D3 if you actually do put in the work.

For the prescribed material look here: http://ceenglish.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/cl0001_2012.pdf.

So for Macbeth just learn the quotes. They are in the back of the book but you can probably tell yourself which are important from reading it. Just take it scene by scene and learn it well and understand what's going on completely and how the characters interact with eachoter, the emotions in the play, character traits and appeal of the play.

For Comparative pick your three and learn how to compare them under the "Comparative Modes" listed in the file above.

For poetry I already mentioned two options but for whoever you pick know the poetry inside out and practice talking about them. Be personal when speaking about them.

Ask a teacher for real advice, this is only general stuff :)

Good luck

I think some people giving advice here are missing out on some vital stuff. It's all well and good to know your quotes and poems but that's just a memory game. For English, you HAVE to get your Purpose right. Learn how to focus your essays on the question being asked. You can know all the quotes in the world but you need to be focused or else you won't do well.
    And sure you can work on Paper 2 forever but Paper 1 is 50% of the marks. Prepare for the comprehensions well and also the part B :) Play to your strengths for the Composition so you can maximise your marks in the question worth the most marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

yoho139 wrote: »
    1.4% chance. Fairly unlikely it'll be that cruel, but you never know, I guess.

Less, I'd imagine, given that certain poets have higher probabilities of coming up, and presumably you won't choose the least likely ones.

Advertisement