Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Chairs Omniplex mahon point

Options
  • 08-11-2013 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Just back from there, it was my 3rd time going since they got in the new comfortable rocking chairs,

but the smell when you first go in is potent,

one friend's eye reacted to it and went completely red and another friend admitted she got a massive headache from the smell just now,does anyone else think its too much? is it the chairs that cause it or some new cleaning products?

either way it would put me off going there again tbh...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Rocking chairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Heard somewhere its was something to do with the ventilation system.....
    They paid load of money to fix it I think, but it didn't do anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

rovoagho wrote: »
    Rocking chairs?

They're amazing.

Haven't been there in a few weeks though so I don't know anything about the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishgirl12345

I've been there recently and didn't notice any rocking chairs?! Are they only inside some screens or what's the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Just back and noticed the smell, it's just the smell of New fleather and I imagine glue and other building materials in the walls. Really comfy seats though, and the screens are brilliant bow can't wait for the omnimax screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've been there recently and didn't notice any rocking chairs?! Are they only inside some screens or what's the deal?

There not in all of them yet I don't think but they eventually will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭VincentLeB

I was there about a year ago and a man came into one of the screens with a staff member, and angrily shouted "CAN YOU SMELL THAT?", trying to get other people to join in.

He said: "EVERY TIME I COME TO THE OMNIPLEX, PAYING THROUGH THE ROOF, MY EXPERIENCE IS RUINED BY THIS SMELL. IT SMELLS LIKE SHÍTE".

A few people nodded.

Then the staff member proceeded to explain how they have tried everything to get rid of the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Yep, Totally agree. Was in there a few weeks ago and the smell was terrible. Hits you right in the face when you go in. I'll admit I get headaches really easily but I had a ferocious headache after the film. And during the film. Kinda smell that's hard to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

was there a week ago and no smell at all (but with the new seats)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What are they doing at the moment where the Ben and Jerry's place was? Is it a new screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

leahyl wrote: »
    What are they doing at the moment where the Ben and Jerry's place was? Is it a new screen?

Yeah spotted that aswell, would love to know, since they have the omnimax signs plastered all over it I wonder is it something to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 thecatburger

Surely I'm not the only one to leave mahon point cinema with a pain in my back and a headache after 2 hrs in their awful new seats? I can't understand for the life of me how this ever happened. One of the big pluses in mahon point were the comfortable seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 thecatburger

IS THIS REAL LIFE? Those new seats are ****in abysmal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

leahyl wrote: »

I have heard it s going to be a Subway .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have heard it s going to be a Subway .

That's strange, I thought the Ben and Jerry's place was doing well enough, not that I have ever bought anything from there myself but it always seemed busy enough whenever i was at cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

IS THIS REAL LIFE? Those new seats are ****in abysmal

no they aren't, other than the smell, they are really comfy,

although i predict problems in busier screenings with kids placing their feet on your chair rocking you in an attempt to rock their chairs! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

What is the point of the rocking? Is it to help you off to sleep during chick flicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Can't wait to give these chairs a go!

Do they actually rock back and forth or is it just able to recline a bit?

Ok they aren't really designed as rocking chairs, but they do rock a good bit, as far as I know its to help everyone find a comfortable position no matter how long or short your legs are etc.

I like them, have been to two films with them now and they work well in my opinion I also think there is an extra bit of leg room with them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Disappointed to hear the ben and jerries bar has gone, or are they just moving it? And why couldn't subway just move in to where Eddie rockets was?

• Advertisement

Disappointed to hear the ben and jerries bar has gone, or are they just moving it? And why couldn't subway just move in to where Eddie rockets was?

They have moved it by the other tills, but with a reduced selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

VincentLeB wrote: »
    I was there about a year ago and a man came into one of the screens with a staff member, and angrily shouted "CAN YOU SMELL THAT?", trying to get other people to join in.

He said: "EVERY TIME I COME TO THE OMNIPLEX, PAYING THROUGH THE ROOF, MY EXPERIENCE IS RUINED BY THIS SMELL. IT SMELLS LIKE SHÍTE".

A few people nodded.

Then the staff member proceeded to explain how they have tried everything to get rid of the smell.

I havent been for months, but I did start to notice a humm developing in the place. Kind off like stale sweat. Really not pleasant at all. This new smell seems to be from the new seats by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Had a go on these new chairs a couple of nights ago. I like them, didn't notice any particular smell form the chairs.

I forgot about the rocking though, and nearly catapulted the poor lad in front of me when I was getting up to go to the loo. Oopsie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

pwurple wrote: »
    Had a go on these new chairs a couple of nights ago. I like them, didn't notice any particular smell form the chairs.

i don't think the smell is from the chairs themselves but rather the new cleaning products for the new chairs,

its only since these new chairs were installed i noticed (couldn't ignore it really it was so pungent) the smell.

its like an eye watering cleaning product smell,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

was there sunday defp more leg room with them and there is a bit of a smell but not as bad as the smell that's was in some of the screens the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I like the new seats. Pity they are only in screen 2 (not in screen 1 or 3 anyway). Much more comfortable than the older seats. Didn't notice any smell. Love the new screen/projector in Screen 2 too, excellent picture quality. Hope they do the rest of the screens up to a similar quality soon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Bacchus wrote: »
    I like the new seats. Pity they are only in screen 2 (not in screen 1 or 3 anyway). Much more comfortable than the older seats. Didn't notice any smell. Love the new screen/projector in Screen 2 too, excellent picture quality. Hope they do the rest of the screens up to a similar quality soon too.

They are in screen 12 as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was there this afternoon and got the smell alright. It wasn't great, but it stopped bothering me quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭VincentLeB

Faith wrote: »
    I was there this afternoon and got the smell alright. It wasn't great, but it stopped bothering me quite quickly.

Yeah. I mean, I've always got some sort of a smell in the place, but just like you have to leave a room for a few minutes and return to get the smell of fresh bread because you've become acclimatised to it, it's the same with that smell. It's there, but you get used to it fairly fast. Otherwise, people would just stop going there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

there in screen 10 aswell.noticed the smell alright but got used to it fast

Advertisement