Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Chairs Omniplex mahon point

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

You can now choose your seats when buying tickets online. Whats the story here? Will there be a "reserved" sign on your seat, or will you have to shunt people off your seat? Not sure is this a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

gimmick wrote: »
    You can now choose your seats when buying tickets online. Whats the story here? Will there be a "reserved" sign on your seat, or will you have to shunt people off your seat? Not sure is this a good idea.

may only be active for movies that are just out and are in big demand. I remember Douglas Cinema (about 127 years ago) used to do this for new releases. I found it very handy to be able to book an edge seat but sure with the nature of the tiered seating in Mahon Point I can't see it being as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

gimmick wrote: »

I went to the hobbit and it was completely full. They have ushers inside that will make you move if you're not in the right seats. I think booking seats is better than just turning up, avoids ending up in the very front row and straining your neck for the whole movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

may only be active for movies that are just out and are in big demand. I remember Douglas Cinema (about 127 years ago) used to do this for new releases. I found it very handy to be able to book an edge seat but sure with the nature of the tiered seating in Mahon Point I can't see it being as important.

127 years ago? Are you a time traveller? :D

Ref the smell, yes they do stink, and at €9.20 a ticket I will be taking my custom elsewhere in future. They would have done better to leave the old chairs and TURN ON THE HEATING !!!!! You shouldn't have to wear a hat coat scarf and gloves at a cinema !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

calnand wrote: »
    I went to the hobbit and it was completely full. They have ushers inside that will make you move if you're not in the right seats. I think booking seats is better than just turning up, avoids ending up in the very front row and straining your neck for the whole movie.

As long as there are ushers all the time though it will work. If not, it will lead to embarrassment and possibly conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Was there last night and it seems that all the screenings have assigned seating now, at the ticket desk there are screens behind the staff showing where there are available seats - same as what's online I would imagine - and they ask you where you wanna sit.

I'd say most people stick to their assigned seats, but as soon as the lights go down its almost impossible to find them I'd say - a few latecomers were scrabbling around with smartphone screens lit up trying to find theirs.

I can't remember if there were ushers inside there or not.

The new layout is a bit weird though - with the ticket office right by the door, the queue to buy tickets was all the way out nearly to the door of Debenhams.

Not sure i'm gone on the new chairs, but the stadium seating is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yep, all seats are assigned now, wherever you pay for your ticket.

There is ushers there, but they didnt go hunting people, if ya cant find your seat they will show you.

Went to get tickets for Anchorman 2 but i was kinda late and there was maybe 25 - 30 seats left dotted all over the screen in single spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Are the seat assignments only for evening screenings, or all the time does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

I think I saw a sign saying that all screenings are allocated seating now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

professore wrote: »
    127 years ago? Are you a time traveller? :D

well I was over-exaggerating the age of the Douglas Cinema given the state of the place :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Went in there for the first time in ages after the Christmas but during the day and thought the seats were quiet nice in fairness no smell from them. though the allocated seating was a bit much though I didn't even realise until we sat down that we were suppose to be somewhere else. Was well pissed off with them last night though went out for dinner and a movie first they forgot to give us the movie tickets in the restaurant then she wouldn't take them and the q's were back to the escalators wtf when did going to the cinema get so complicated. Defo prefer douglas or ballincollig Mahon Point is a fail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I don't get a smell from the seats anymore - I did the first time I went there when they had just got in the new seating but it's fine now.

I think the new layout of the cinema is a bit ridiculous - why didn't they leave it the way it was - the queue for tickets now goes all the way out into the main shopping centre which is kind of stupid!

that's what it was like last night has turned me off going back. Why such confusion I was thinking it was because there were less tills but there isn't they just put them to the other side if not there seems to be more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i hate assigned seating,

its a nightmare when you have children, you might walk in and go for your usual seats and if there is a tall person in front of those seats choose to move to a different row,

with assigned seating you now have no options if there is a group of adults sitting in front of your child.

i doubt they ask for heights when you are booking tickets?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i hate assigned seating,

its a nightmare when you have children, you might walk in and go for your usual seats and if there is a tall person in front of those seats choose to move to a different row,

with assigned seating you now have no options if there is a group of adults sitting in front of your child.

i doubt they ask for heights when you are booking tickets?

They have boosters for the seats, although if the child is very small, they mightn't be much use.

Faith wrote: »
    They have boosters for the seats, although if the child is very small, they mightn't be much use.

those booster are uncomfortable and most children consider them to be 'baby seats'
    with the way the seats are they can see without boosters anyway, unless an adult (or someone taller than the back of the seat) sits in front,

also with assigned seating i think it encourages laziness or people who come in late too, knowing the seat they want is there waiting for them, where with first come first served you'd have to go in early to get a good seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,578 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think the assigned seating is a good idea because if your going to the cinema with a group at least you know that you'll a be able to sit together and you can also get good seats.
    The reason they moved the ticket desk is because they are meant to opening a subway where the old ticket desks were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Milly33 wrote: »
    Went in there for the first time in ages after the Christmas but during the day and thought the seats were quiet nice in fairness no smell from them. though the allocated seating was a bit much though I didn't even realise until we sat down that we were suppose to be somewhere else. Was well pissed off with them last night though went out for dinner and a movie first they forgot to give us the movie tickets in the restaurant then she wouldn't take them and the q's were back to the escalators wtf when did going to the cinema get so complicated. Defo prefer douglas or ballincollig Mahon Point is a fail

Surely you can buy your cinema tickets also at the shop tills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Don't like the assigned seats system. Fair enough for popular films that are just out, but for everything else? Went there recently and there was a pair of langers behind us hilariously narrating every part of the movie. You could tell they were going to be a pain in the ass before we had even sat down, but we didn't have the option of sitting a bit further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

kub wrote: »
    Surely you can buy your cinema tickets also at the shop tills?

Nope!

• Advertisement

Well she said you can but even the shop que was huge. Now she said we could get the tickets there if we got the voucher things from the restaurant but again the que was mad there too so we would have missed it

Don't like the assigned seats system. Fair enough for popular films that are just out, but for everything else? Went there recently and there was a pair of langers behind us hilariously narrating every part of the movie. You could tell they were going to be a pain in the ass before we had even sat down, but we didn't have the option of sitting a bit further away.

You do know you can movie once the lights are gone down if they are free seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Besides, assigned seating in cinemas is in effect since the dawn of times just about everywhere else, can't see what's so special about Cork so that it would not work...it took time, but people in ITALY got used to it, and they can't even queue properly if their lives depended on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Assigned seating for all films is nonsense, popular films a few days into the run I can understand. But surely going to the cinema and finding wherever you want to sit down is all part of the leisure of it. Will be going elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Good point. To be honest it'd turn me off going there. I like turning up a bit early and getting a good seat, and having the option of picking based on who's around. Not fumbling around in the dark trying to find my seat, or a free seat if trying to move.

until the people who booked those seats come in late after the movie starts so they get to 'skip' the ads and find you in "their" seats!

until the people who booked those seats come in late after the movie starts so they get to 'skip' the ads and find you in "their" seats!

Wait till the movie starts then.
    I can't see why this is such a problem to some people.
    I've gone to the cinema in London, Manchester, Paris, Dublin and it's the done thing. It's just like booking tickets to a show/concert. You've assigned seats and you get to pick them.

Wait till the movie starts then.
    I can't see why this is such a problem to some people.
    I've gone to the cinema in London, Manchester, Paris, Dublin and it's the done thing. It's just like booking tickets to a show/concert. You've assigned seats and you get to pick them.

but then you are disrupting every one else by moving about after the movie starts, and have to move again if the person who booked those seats turns up.i have always been at a screening before it starts as i don't like disrupting other people.

and i couldn't count on one hand how many panto's/ seated concerts/ shows i have been to where my view has been impeded at being forced to sit behind someone taller than me,

or you get into the room you are unfamiliar with to find the seats aren't the ones you wanted as the layout is different (very possible in mahon point with the different sized screens)

like i said there were no problems with the first come first served options, they have been using, if you want good seats get there on time/early!

but then you are disrupting every one else by moving about after the movie starts, and have to move again if the person who booked those seats turns up.i have always been at a screening before it starts as i don't like disrupting other people.

and i couldn't count on one hand how many panto's/ seated concerts/ shows i have been to where my view has been impeded at being forced to sit behind someone taller than me,

or you get into the room you are unfamiliar with to find the seats aren't the ones you wanted as the layout is different (very possible in mahon point with the different sized screens)

like i said there were no problems with the first come first served options, they have been using, if you want good seats get there on time/early!

You should just use a different cinema if it's such a problem to you.
    If you have a problem with people sitting in front of you, you should book a seat in the front row.
    This is a system that is used across the world and here in Ireland. Some people are just resistant to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I think assigned seating is only going to encourage people to arrive late to a film, disturbing others who got there on time. If your seat is guaranteed then there's no time pressure, which admittedly is nice if you're the type that's always running late.

the argument that "it works everywhere else in Europe" is a little weak considering we're not all the same. We don't serve alcohol in Irish cinemas because it would be flipping mayhem. The germans on the other hand take a more measured approach to drinking in cinemas. Cultural differences do have an impact.

I'm all for assigned seating for the initial week of a popular movie, but its an inconvenience otherwise and personally makes me less likely to want to go see a movie if i can't even choose where in the theatre I'm allowed to sit.

Advertisement