Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Chairs Omniplex mahon point

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

You should just use a different cinema if it's such a problem to you.
    If you have a problem with people sitting in front of you, you should book a seat in the front row.
    This is a system that is used across the world and here in Ireland. Some people are just resistant to change.

Nothing to do with resistance to change I imagine. More to do with freedom of choice. Plenty of cinemas around the world do not use assigned seating also. The argument that it works elsewhere is a non issue. It works equally well elsewhere with free seating. Both systems are common and have advantages and disadvantages. A mix of both as others suggested makes a lot of sense.

And before you suggest the choice to use another cinema.. Of course that exists but didn't mean we can't discuss thru move to 100% assigned seating and the merits of one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You should just use a different cinema if it's such a problem to you.
    If you have a problem with people sitting in front of you, you should book a seat in the front row.
    This is a system that is used across the world and here in Ireland. Some people are just resistant to change.

Because it's not as good a system as just buying a ticket and sitting where you want. Why wouldn't people be resistant to change? If noone 'owns' the seats, there can be no argument about them.

As another poster said both systems are used and I certainly know which one I think is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭junction12

I'm from Dublin and moved to Cork last year. When I used live in Dublin my local cinema used be the same as Mahon but they changed a couple of years ago and I hated it at first as did my friends/family. After a while tough we got to see the benefits of it.
    I am delighted that Mahon has gone this way because at least I know I can seat where I want now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Went last night. There were people in our booked seats. Gladly the usher shoed them away so no issues.

I don't like the new rocking chairs though. The fella in front was bumping off my foot the while time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

I think the gate cinema in north mail street did this for a while about 5or6 yrs ago,it didn't work there. so good chance it wont work here. I find mahon 2 expensive so jus go 2 the gate or blackpool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

gimmick wrote: »
    Went last night. There were people in our booked seats. Gladly the usher shoed them away so no issues.

I don't like the new rocking chairs though. The fella in front was bumping off my foot the while time.

Was it busy last night?last friday there was a que out down the escalator .

Ya it was jammers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

farmerjj wrote: »
    I think the gate cinema in north mail street did this for a while about 5or6 yrs ago,it didn't work there. so good chance it wont work here. I find mahon 2 expensive so jus go 2 the gate or blackpool.

I think they did it in Cinema World too, and Omniplex when it was young, but went back to unassigned again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I hate the assigned seats. Went to a film last night with and as soon as I saw were out seats were I knew there was going to be trouble. We were seating infront of a large group of young lads, prob 9-10 years old, who were already throwing popcorn at each other when we went in. As soon as the movie started they put their feet on the tops of ours chairs kicking them, that really annoyed my with the fixed chairs but the rocking ones make it 10 times worse. Nightmare. If the seats weren't assigned there's no way in hell I'd have chosen to sit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I hate the assigned seats. Went to a film last night with and as soon as I saw were out seats were I knew there was going to be trouble. We were seating infront of a large group of young lads, prob 9-10 years old, who were already throwing popcorn at each other when we went in. As soon as the movie started they put their feet on the tops of ours chairs kicking them, that really annoyed my with the fixed chairs but the rocking ones make it 10 times worse. Nightmare. If the seats weren't assigned there's no way in hell I'd have chosen to sit there.

did you complain??

the more the manager is made aware of these incidents the more they are likely to review the new policy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Milly33 wrote: »
    Well she said you can but even the shop que was huge. Now she said we could get the tickets there if we got the voucher things from the restaurant but again the que was mad there too so we would have missed it

use the kiosks... they aren't just for collection any more, you can buy your ticket from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

My OH insisted we go to the Omniplex instead of the Gate last night. It'll be the last time we go. Overpriced tickets, complete lack of queue management, ushers who couldn't care less (not that I blame them tbh) and then of course there's always the "hilarious" pair who think their thoughts on the movie are so good everyone should hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I actually find the gate more expensive. I never get food at the cinema though, bring my own water and sometimes get something in Tesco beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

i never buy food in the cinema either, total rip off.

The sound in The Gate is crap. Very muffled.

Advertisement