Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice place to stay near christchurch

Options
  • 08-11-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

Hey can anyone recommend somewhere lovely to stay near Christchurch in February. I'm flying out and meeting my boyfriend out there and probably hiring a car and heading south towards Dunedin and onto fiordland.
    Anywhere nice to stay for the first night within three hours of Christchurch? Half thinking of Lake Tekapo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

http://www.onuku.co.nz/

This place is unmissable and reasonable. Stargazer huts are very romantic. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Good suggestion, Akaroa is gorgeous, I stayed at this place called Half Moon and it was also lovely: http://www.halfmoon.co.nz/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Cheers.

Another question. Would you go for renting a camper van? Or would a rental car do? I have a friend in Westport and we will stay with her a few nights. She can loan us camping gear but we will have ten days to travel around south Island. Going over in February. I'm tempted to stick with renting a car and camping the odd night if not in hostels or hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Car and camping is best! Cheaper and more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

^ That's what I thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I did both islands in a campervan and wish I had just rented a car. Much more enjoyable to drive and I found it much better socially to stay in hostels or campgrounds rather then campervan parks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For me, who hasn't travelled in a camper van, the main advantage of one would be not having to stay in dorms in hostels.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm travelling across South Island in 3 weeks time, for around 40 days, and will be camping as much as i can. Only staying in hostels for around 4 or 5 nights, and most of those are just to recharge my electronics :P

Advertisement