Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combine two networks using Gigabit switch.

• 08-11-2013 10:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I currently have two broadband connections, a wireless one which is fed into a belkin router and distributed throughout the house by LAN cat5 cables and also on the belkins wifi to connect iphones etc to the wifi.

I also have Broadband from Sky and this is only currently connected to my PC and I nearly use this more than the wireless. As a result of using the Sky I have no access out to my HTPC which is connected to the Wireless Belkin Router and I want to be able to drop files easily to the HTPC in the living room besides having to carry them there by hard-drive. The HTPC and PC will be directly connected to eash other via this Giagabit switch I have bought on amazon.

Both Sky and the Belkin Router are set to DHCP as they assign addresses to whatever connects be it by LAN or wireless. However both routers assign a different set of addresses.

The Sky Modem is set to assign from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.99
    The Belkin router is set to assign from 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.99

I think both DHCP routers will create a conflict as they will be connected into the switch as you will see in my diagram.

I am planning on using this piece of software below

This will give both my PC and HTPC a static LAN IP and allow for easy switching between Sky and the Wireless Provider through the switch and should hopefully bypass any DHCP conflict.

Basically what I am trying to achieve here is for easy switching between the two networks without having to go unplugging LAN cables each time and also for to create a gigabit LAN connection between my PC and HTPC at the same time.

Any ideas, suggestions or criticism welcomed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

You could disable the DCHP settings on your sky router, set it to a static IP (192.168.1.100) and let the Belkin router (192.168.1.101) assign the network addresses on your network(192.168.1.X)

All connections to the network will be automatically assigned to the gateway on the Belkin .101 and you could configure a static IP on your PC with a gateway of .100 for it to access your Sky connection.

See I drew a little picture below :)

08_11_2013_22_00_57.jpg

You could buy a dual wan router also, something like http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-R470T%2B but the above would be free and you have all the gear already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Thanks, excellent graphics too! I won't go down the Dual Wan Router road as they are a few hundred euro, I have the Gigabit switch already from Amazon.

I plan to spend tomorrow getting it working, I will report back tomorrow with an update on how I got things working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

You can read about tomato dual wan software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Stinicker wrote: »
    Thanks, excellent graphics too! I won't go down the Dual Wan Router road as they are a few hundred euro, I have the Gigabit switch already from Amazon.

I plan to spend tomorrow getting it working, I will report back tomorrow with an update on how I got things working.

Not at all, 25 quid plus about 12 shipping, bit of a learning curve though
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb750level-32mb-5xlan-p-560.html

Big thread about configuring Mikrotik here and even a post on how someone already load balanced 2 connections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭eddie_

Hi does any one know if you can have a cat5e from a UPC router going to a network switch, and what I am looking to do is put a phone line from a UPC line and put it through the network switch which in turn will have a cat5 going to a fax machine, can that be done. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

eddie_ wrote: »
    Hi does any one know if you can have a cat5e from a UPC router going to a network switch, and what I am looking to do is put a phone line from a UPC line and put it through the network switch which in turn will have a cat5 going to a fax machine, can that be done. Thanks

Nope, phone line would have to be wired direct from point to point, it won't route through a switch. You can use a CAT5 cable if you want, just make sure to use the same two wires on each end.

Advertisement