Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy vegetable shortening

• 08-11-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Where can I buy vegetable shortening in Ireland I can't find it anywhere I want to make foundant and can't find vegetable shortening or glucose syrup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's sold under the brand name Cookeen here, available in all good supermarkets.

Don't know about glucose syrup though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Atora vegetable suet is available in Supervalu. They also have Dr Oetker liquid glucose. It's handy as it comes in a squeeze tube, so less sticky mess! Aldi generally have a good range of Dr Oetker baking products as well. Cookeen is another hydrogenated vegetable fat my Mum used to bake with, but I haven't looked for it recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Atora vegetable suet is available in Supervalu.

& Dunnes too - haven't seen it in Tesco though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Suet vegetable or otherwise usually is coated with flower to stop it sticking though which may be not what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 niallsammy

Thanks I found cooked in dunnes and also found a post saying frytex is vegetable shortening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Not for Long

I'm having serious trouble finding 'Cookeen' vegetable shortening. It seems permanently out of stock in SuperValu, Dunnes etc.

Also, frytex has beef in it so its not the same. Shouldn't be this hard to find and don't want to have to buy crisco from Amazon. The search continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

Trex is an alternative but hard got here too, I used to get a lot of it whenever over the border and freeze it. Used for cake decorating purposes but it is a white vegetable shortening, cookeen doesn't work for cake stuff as it's a slightly off white colour.

I have loads in freezer that I won't use up so have started to mix it into to pastry with butter, makes nice pastry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lads, this thread is almost 10 years old...

Advertisement