Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

'In Bloom' still kicks ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

And in comes the 9 year old rapper from Dublin....

And it's all so wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Tom Petty is so cool he breathes icicles.

He would be a great partner to have for the soon to come Pointless final round about the Travelling Wilburys.

Dare I disagree with Mr. Petty...the 'garage' rock bands such as The Strokes/The White Stripes gave rock a shot in the arm and killed nu-metal.

And in comes the 9 year old rapper from Dublin....

And it's all so wrong.

If he hadn't had such a big buildup, it wouldn't have been so embarrasing.

• Advertisement

Paradise City.....

I was there.

I think.

Dare I disagree with Mr. Petty...the 'garage' rock bands such as The Strokes/The White Stripes gave rock a shot in the arm and killed nu-metal.

I'd agree ... it's a tenuous narrative on which to give the series a natural conclusion.

Excellent 'Sound City' documentary next Friday!

Dear god...the Jovi...

Nos da!

The Bon Jovi/GNR conclusion was underwhelming, but that was still an excellent series.

If was a UK Licence Payer, I'd be happy to pay my contribution ;)

Excellent 'Sound City' documentary next Friday!

Dear god...the Jovi...

Nos da!

Nos da, Wm

Oiche Mhaith everyone else :)

Good craic tonight here and in the other place.
    See you all soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Right, just in the door and I'm greeted by acoustic Jon Bon. Feel a bit short changed! Next show will be good. :-)

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Right, just in the door and I'm greeted by acoustic Jon Bon. Feel a bit short changed! Next show will be good. :-)

Nice one Donie :)

I think you will like the last part of Born of the Wild (the first part, anyway)

Well, I totally love the GNR (and the Boss), so i'm really looking forward to it! Not The Jovi though. Can't help thinking of that time Jon Bon turned up in Ally McBeal. THAT is rock n roll, baby!

What qualifies as Poodle Rock, by the way?

You, are most definitely NOT a cowboy, Jon.

Edit: the cool type, i mean. Maybe some sort of rock equivalent of the cowboy builder or something...

You, are most definitely NOT a cowboy, Jon.

Edit: the cool type, i mean. Maybe some sort of rock equivalent of the cowboy builder or something...

He's giving it good game there, to be fair.

He also sometimes forgets to mention that he was born in Stoke ;)

Sure hasn't he got a concert dvd called Made in Stoke?

Anyway, it's not as bad as when they recorded One in a million, and he seemed to forget he was an immigrant and black!

Sure hasn't he got a concert dvd called Made in Stoke?

Anyway, it's not as bad as when they recorded One in a million, and he seemed to forget he was an immigrant and black!

For Slash. And all the Stokies

Skid X wrote: »
    For Slash. And all the Stokies

And the Van Halens.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Surprised Metallica were not shown in this seeing as how they blew up as big as Guns N Roses back in the day but they probably left them out because it would have been too similar to that Seven Ages of Rock series they did a few years back.

The story is given a better narrative to say that one band killed an entire genre, but in reality Nirvana didn't kill 'hair metal' stone dead.

'Hair Metal' was already slipping off the radar a few years before 'Nevermind', with alternative bands (Faith No More, Chili Peppers, Jane's Addiction, Ministry) breaking into the mainstream circa 1989/90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Watching Forever Young on BBC4. It amazes me how Pete Townshend got away that all that "research" stuff :rolleyes:

Watching Forever Young on BBC4. It amazes me how Pete Townshend got away that all that "research" stuff :rolleyes:

Not feeling Forever Young at the moment.

RTE owes me 1 hour and 20 mnutes of my life back :(

Not feeling Forever Young at the moment.

RTE owes me 1 hour and 20 mnutes of my life back :(

Don't forget the 4 hours of Amber....;)

:eek:

Chris O' Dowd in the red tracksuit!

This was the type of song that justified your mam and dad watching Top of the Pops as well...

This is why punk happened.

How come every Racey song always sounded exactly the same as every single one of their other songs??

:eek: :eek: :D

Video killed the Radio Star ... and TOTP Dance Troupes.

• Advertisement

How come every Racey song always sounded exactly the same as every single one of their other songs??

Somewhere in the attic at home is a recording of me singing this when I was about three or four :o

Steady, ladies...

This is why punk happened.

But if you look at The Sex Pistols, McLaren exerted exactly the same influence over them that Louis Walsh did over Boyzone and Westlife. Punk wasn't half as anti-establishment and spontaneous as some people thought it was.

Prince Charles's favourite group :rolleyes:

He probably fancied Sheila Ferguson.

Prince Charles was obsessed with the Three Degrees at one point. apparently.
    Sheila Ferguson in a Patron for one of his charities now.

That would been an interesting shake-up of the Royal Gene Pool if they had taken things further ...

Edit: Like what Harry said :)

The Covers Band in my local plays this as their Opening song every night.

They sound good, but they need to shake up their setlist a bit.

• Advertisement

Billy Joel was great all-round musician.

I always thought that Peter Powell was a plonker. Could never understand at the time how he ended up with Anthea Turner (who I now know is absolutely crackers)

60% of this Village People line-up were straight.

One of them went on to marry the actress who played Bill Cosby's wife in The Cosby Show.

The definitive Peter Gabriel song:

Brilliant tune, Solsbury Hill. Brilliant.

• Advertisement

Classic Albums is a show that pops up all over the place. I remember it was on in the middle of the night on ITV for years.

Sky Arts 1 are showing lots of their programmes at the moment

http://www.locatetv.com/tv/classic-albums/schedule#26-Jan-2014

I love Peter G's voice.

The Ovo show he did in the big tent (Millennium Dome Show) in London was fantastic.

Great CD.

I loved him in Genesis too....:)

This is the best song on the "So" album, in my opinion....

I have that album Harry, you have good taste!....:)

I loved Peter's collaboration with Kate Bush. It was a dreamy song, complimented both their voices...

I do like 'Don't Give Up'. I don't think Dolly would have done it justice.

Skid X wrote: »
    I do like 'Don't Give Up'. I don't think Dolly would have done it justice.

:mad:

God no.

48 hours to write a song, do the lyrics, video......

No pressure there!

Coming up on fabulous BBC Four ....

Top of The Pops 1979 - Thursday 7.30pm (short), &12.30am. Saturday Night 1am (extended)
    Mike Read presents an edition from February 1, 1979, including performances by Nazareth, the Three Degrees, UFO, the Members, Sally Oldfield, Billy Joel, Two Man Sound, Generation X, Driver 67 and the Pointer Sisters. Plus, dance sequences by Legs & Co

James Bond 50th Anniversary Gala Concert - Friday 7.30pm
    To mark 50 years since the cinema release of the first Bond film Dr No, the Philharmonia Orchestra, conducted by Carl Davis, performs music from the 007 movies, including Diamonds Are Forever, GoldenEye and From Russia with Love. The concert, recorded in November 2012 at London's Royal Festival Hall, also features singers Mary Carewe and Lance Ellington, and is presented by Honor Blackman, famous for her role as Pussy Galore in Goldfinger

Blondie: One Way or Another - Friday 9pm & Sunday 11.50pm
    Profile of the pop group founded by singer Debbie Harry and guitarist Chris Stein, one of the world's most successful bands to be fronted by a woman, which first rose to fame in the mid-1970s. The programme features interviews with former members and fellow performers including Iggy Pop, Shirley Manson, Tommy Ramone, Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth, who discuss Blondie's eclectic brand of music. Mark Radcliffe narrates

Sound City - Friday 10pm & 2am. Sunday Night 1.05am
    Premiere. Documentary directed by Foo Fighters lead singer Dave Grohl, celebrating Sound City, a Los Angeles recording studio where classic albums including Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Nirvana's Nevermind were produced. Following the facility's closure, Grohl gathers many of the artists who worked there to record a new album using Sound City's distinctive analogue equipment

Sings The Great American Songbook - Friday Midnight
    A compilation of archive performances of hits composed by American songwriters including Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Johnny Mercer and Harold Arlen. Featuring music by Shirley Bassey, Bryan Ferry, Captain Sensible, Jamie Cullum and Florence and the Machine

When Rock Goes Acoustic - Friday Night 1am
    Musicians discuss the importance of the acoustic guitar in rock music, revealing how performers can often get more attention by playing quietly, and recalling some of the instrument's most notable contributions to the genre. Among those appearing are Johnny Marr, Keith Richards, Joan Armatrading, Roger McGuinn, James Dean Bradfield, Biffy Clyro, Ray Davies and Donovan

The Joy of Abba - Saturday 11pm
    Documentary exploring how pop legends Abba raised the bar for their music genre in the 1970s and early 80s, popularising the sound of Swedish melancholy. The programme explores how the quartet of Agnetha Faltskog, Bjorn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad came to dominate the British music charts with simple, catchy melodies, but also divided opinion due to the mass-produced prolificacy of their output

Abba at The BBC - Saturday Midnight
    A collection of memorable performances by the group on the BBC. Agnetha Faltskog, Bjorn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad were thrust into the limelight in 1974 when Waterloo triumphed at the Eurovision Song Contest in Brighton, marking the start of their meteoric rise. Various outings were captured by the corporation's cameras over the next few years and several are featured here alongside their Top of the Pops dedbut, archive interviews and fly-on-the-wall footage. There is also a chance to see the foursome on a 1982 edition of Noel Edmonds' Late, Late Breakfast Show, which was Abba's last televised appearance in the UK

Best of the Rest

Neil Young:Heart of Gold Channel 4 Friday Night 1.05am (early Saturday)
    Jonathan Demme's concert film capturing the Canadian guitarist and songwriter in reflective mood as he presents his country-flavoured Prairie Wind album after recovering from a life-threatening brain aneurysm. Songs from Young's biggest-selling album Harvest also feature, including The Needle and The Damage Done

Big Hits: TOTP 1964 to 1975 Yesterday (Sky 537, Freeview and Freesat (but not UPC :( )
    A rare chance to see some memorable performances from the first 12 years of Top of the Pops, featuring the Rolling Stones, Tom Jones, Stevie Wonder, Queen, the Kinks and Status Quo.

Bryan Ferry Night - Saturday Night from 8.30pm on Sky Arts 1

http://www.locatetv.com/uk/listings/sky-arts-1#01-Feb-2014

Nice one Skid!

So, Driver 67 is back? I was half thinking I imagined that. Better watch it again, just to be sure.

Hang on, is it Abba night again?? It's only about two weeks since the last one!

Quite varied this week. The Sound City & Blondie shows should be good. (And the James Bond one...:-) )

Edit: The Joy of Abba, indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Nice one Skid!

So, Driver 67 is back? I was half thinking I imagined that. Better watch it again, just to be sure.

Hang on, is it Abba night again?? It's only about two weeks since the last one!

Quite varied this week. The Sound City & Blondie shows should be good. (And the James Bond one...:-) )

Edit: The Joy of Abba, indeed.

and this must be the 10th time they've shown that Blondie doc in the last 8 years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement