Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sorry dudes, I feel I need to stand firm on The Quo.

Rockin' All Over The World? Not in my book, fellas!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'd love to have brought him home to the Mammy....

Skid X wrote: »
    Ah, I like the Quo.

Anyone who holds the TOTP appearance record has to be doing something right.

That's a league table I'd like to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    You're doing it now, aren't you?

:-D

I can actually do the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery part quite well.

And any eejit can finish off the gogogoch part

It's the bastard chwyrndrobwllllantysilio which I need to practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I was in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch once, on the way back from Liverpool. Nice spot, if I have enough drink taken I make a decent stab at pronouncing it :D

That's easy for you to say! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

About time!!

The television man is crazy.
    Saying we're juvenile delinquent wrecks.
    Man, I need TV when I got T. Rex

Sorry dudes, I feel I need to stand firm on The Quo.

Rockin' All Over The World? Not in my book, fellas!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8hNN8YFpXnnwuYn_48UTFTbjoe6PbkfyCNwZkcj1uvMbyHgTZIw

And don't get me started on Keep Calm posters!

(Joking!!)

Torn now with the video game programme. Graham Linehan is on it.

I generally take these things with a pinch of salt until I see them, but Wouldn't it be nice if there were some early BBC gems in this find?
    A recently discovered stash of long-lost BBC TV shows found in Nigeria may include past Beatles appearances on the British music show “Top of the Pops,” Bill Harry, founder and editor of the '60s Mersey Beat newspaper in Liverpool that chronicled the Beatles' history as it happened, told Beatles Examiner Jan. 4.

Harry first mentioned the possibility on Facebook. “As you know, a vast amount of BBC TV material from the Sixties was found recently in a Nigerian TV station. Copies of the BBC programmes they received decades ago. Most of the publicity surrounded Dr Who episodes which had previously been lost. There is so much material that it's taking a time to go through everything, but I hear they have discovered Beatles TOTP ("Top of the Pops") appearances,” he wrote.

http://www.examiner.com/article/lost-and-found-bbc-films-could-include-rare-beatles-tv-appearances

• Advertisement

Nigeria?.......

:)

Wow, Jan 4? So hot off the press? When will we see it I wonder.

But yeah...Nigeria??

Skid, did you see that thread about Phantom fm's top 500 musical icons?

Roy Orbison was about 100 places behind Bez from The Happy Mondays. What did you think of that?

They're talking about the music from Mario games on the other show now.

If you get a chance, youtube Martin Leung blindfolded. Saw him in the NCH a while ago. Absolutely amazing.

Skid, did you see that thread about Phantom fm's top 500 musical icons?

Roy Orbison was about 100 places behind Bez from The Happy Mondays. What did you think of that?

That's close to Blasphemy by Phantom, to be honest Donie.

All credit to Bez, he had a good run but it's madness to be putting him in the same league as Roy (never mind above him)

Roy was my favourite singer of all time. Nobody ever came close. There's a reason you never see any Roy Orbison tribute acts. Because nobody could sing even half as good as him.

Johnny Cash was a good friend of his - Johnny Cash's autobiography is a great read.

It's a bit mad, isn't it? I think Liam Gallagher was one place above Paul McCartney (my favourite of them all).

Didn't know Orbison and Cash were friends. I'd say there were some interesting stories in that particular circle of friends.

I loved the Johnny Cash album "Live in San Quentin", there was great documentary about the recording of it.

I wouldn't mind seeing that again.

It's a bit mad, isn't it? I think Liam Gallagher was one place above Paul McCartney (my favourite of them all).

Didn't know Orbison and Cash were friends. I'd say there were some interesting stories in that particular circle of friends.

Love Macca, no-one comes close to him/

yeah, Orbison and Cash were great mates Edit - there's a film to be made about their friendship

http://suite101.com/a/the-friendship-of-johnny-cash-and-roy-orbison-a346725

Orbison and Cash became good friends. In the early years of their friendship, they toured together and Orbison frequently stayed at Cash’s house in Memphis. Later Orbison purchased a house next to the Cash house and they were neighbors for over twenty years, until Orbison died in 1988.

Although the two spent most of their time on the road, touring separately, whenever Orbison was in Memphis he would drop by the Cash household for breakfast. Cash described his good friend as a kind, considerate man, with a sweet nature and good humor. Cash was there to support his friend through two enormous tragedies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Jaysus, this Moot the Hoople doc is boring. They were a fairly shyte band in a great era. They didn't really deserve an hour long programme. The fact that their most famous song was made a lot more famous by David Bowie and Bruce Dickinson says it all.

• Advertisement

I loved the Johnny Cash album "Live in San Quentin", there was great documentary about the recording of it.

I wouldn't mind seeing that again.

you might like this

Coming Up ...

Friday Jan 10th BBC4

9pm & Midnight - Born To Be Wild (Part 1/3)
    A look at the evolution of 20th-century American rock music, beginning with the days of flower power, Vietnam and LSD, when bands like the Doors, Jefferson Airplane and MC5 sang about `the revolution'. The first episode concentrates on the late 1960s, exploring the artists that made the soundtrack to the Peace and Love generation, culminating in the Woodstock music festival. However, the event proved a watershed moment for rock music's reactionary era, as the marketeers lined up ready to turn this kind of output from protest into profit.

Interviewees include John Densmore and Ray Manzarek of the Doors, Creedence Clearwater Revival's Doug Clifford, Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane, Alice Cooper, Tom Petty, MC5's Wayne Kramer and Steppenwolf's John Kay

10pm & 1am - Jimi Hendrix: The Road to Woodstock
    A definitive account of one of the guitarist's most celebrated performances, at the New York festival in 1969, featuring signature renditions of Purple Haze, Voodoo Child and the Star Spangled Banner. The programme includes interviews with Woodstock promoter Michael Lang and Hendrix's band members Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cox, Larry Lee and Juma Sultan

11pm & 2am - The Doors:The Story of LA Woman
    The making of psychedelic rock band the Doors' 1971 album LA Woman, which was recorded during a period of growing social unrest and change in America. Members Ray Manzarek, John Densmore and Robby Krieger discuss how their music was influenced by the country's sociopolitical climate, and the programme also features archive performances and analysis of the original multi-track recording tapes by producer Bruce Botnick

Saturday Jan 11th BBC4

11pm - Tubular Bells: The Mike Oldfield Story
    An insight into the life of the acclaimed musician and the circumstances in which he - at 19 years of age - produced the biggest-selling instrumental album of all time, Tubular Bells. From life growing up seeking solace in music, to performing at the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony, Mike reveals the struggles behind his unprecedented success story. With contributions from Richard Branson and Danny Boyle

Midnight - Tubular Bells: Mike Oldfield
    The instrumentalist takes part in a 1974 studio performance of his seminal progressive rock album, often acclaimed as a career-defining achievement in popular music

12.25am - Synth Britannia at the BBC
    A showcase of 1970s and 80s synth music taken from the BBC archives. Popular acts in the genre include Roxy Music, New Order, Ultravox, Soft Cell, OMD, Yazoo and Depeche Mode

1.25am - Top of The Pops 1979
    Mike Read presents an edition from January 4, 1979, with performances by Generation X, Elton John, Ian Dury & the Blockheads, Olivia Newton-John, Racey, Barry White, Brotherhood of Man and Village People. Plus, dance sequences by Legs & Co

Coming Up ...

Saturday Jan 11th BBC4

12.25am - Synth Britannia at the BBC

1.25am - Top of The Pops 1979

That will do nicely Skid, thanks for that....

The Synth Brit sounds interesting...:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Saturday Jan 11th BBC4

An insight into the life of the acclaimed musician and the circumstances in which he - at 19 years of age - produced the biggest-selling instrumental album of all time, Tubular Bells. From life growing up seeking solace in music, to performing at the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony, Mike reveals the struggles behind his unprecedented success story. With contributions from Richard Branson and Danny Boyle

The instrumentalist takes part in a 1974 studio performance of his seminal progressive rock album, often acclaimed as a career-defining achievement in popular music

Yes!! I love Mike Oldfield!! :D:D:D

He shouldn't be remembered just for Tubular Bells, though - not when he also produced this 60-minute track, featuring a Morse code message 48 minutes in...

:D:D:D;););)

Yes!! I love Mike Oldfield!! :D:D:D
    He shouldn't be remembered just for Tubular Bells, though - not when he also produced this 60-minute track, featuring a Morse code message 48 minutes in...

Sounds good, GHG. I must have a listen.

It's a bit odd that both of the Mike Oldfield shows on Saturday have almost identical titles (Tubular Bells: The Mike Oldfield Story, and Tubular Bells: Mike Oldfield).

It just shows how much he is associated with his breakthrough Album, despite having an extensive Discography. A bit like Meat Loaf and Bat Out of Hell, in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Repeats them two.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Repeats them two.

I'm always glad to get the heads up when something is on tv, I often miss things first (or second) time around and, when you see something popping up that interests you, it's a bit of fun to look back!

That's what I like about this thread.

Don't like Oldfield...won't let Alan Patridge ramble through his estate!

Just a head up Alice Cooper at the Hammersmith Odeon Apollo is on next Friday.

Gonna start my watching at 12 tonight. Looking forward to it!

Grandpa Simpson: Bring on Sha-Na-Na!
    There must be a recruitment tent around here somewhere!

• Advertisement

This is very promising.

Started with the boss, gnr, hendrix...

Perfect!

Bloody love Creedence.

I never got the thing that Jim Morrison was a great poet....

Anyone "tired or emotional" comes out with about the same.

But he had a dream voice and he could light up a room with his presence...

Confession time...

I don't really dig The Doors.

I'm sorry.

Confession time...

I don't really dig The Doors.

I'm sorry.

We're on a real downer tonight Donie........:D:D:D

No cello's or Jim........:eek::pac:

I never got the thing that Jim Morrison was a great poet....

Anyone "tired or emotional" comes out with about the same.

But he had a dream voice and he could light up a room with his presence...

Isn't it generally agreed he talked b*llocks unless you were high and/or seventeen?

Isn't it generally agreed he talked b*llocks unless you were high and/or seventeen?

Oh God, Yeah.

SNAP!

:p We agree........

We're on a real downer tonight Donie........:D:D:D

No cello's or Jim........:eek::pac:

Well, i like Cellos. Just not really that earlier. :-D

Maybe it was the song.

Not on a downer, GSW, this show is great!

Well, i like Cellos. Just not really that earlier. :-D

Maybe it was the song.

Not on a downer, GSW, this show is great!

Ah Donie, I'm only having the craic.

I love the cello.

I also love the Devil's music.

God works in mysterious ways.....:)

Who's your favourite GSW? You seem to like a lot of things (a good way to be for sure). You did seem to enjoyPaul McCartney a while back. :-)

• Advertisement

I often think Woodstock is like the GPO in 1916....

Everyone who said they were there would fill a small country.

Who's your favourite GSW? You seem to like a lot of things (a good way to be for sure). You did seem to enjoyPaul McCartney a while back. :-)

My background is classical Donie.

Fell in love with Rory Gallagher, Phil Lynott, Horslips....all live bands to me.

How privileged was I??

Steeley Dan, American rock craic when I lived there........

For fun......

And still I love the Symphony Orchestra......:)

Sure, isn't that what makes it fun?....:o

Ha, it's true about Woodstock. Very funny. :-D

Classical, eh? I know bits here and there. Found a course in music appreciation in town the other day. Think I might give it a shot, I'd love to know
    more about it.

Ha, it's true about Woodstock. Very funny. :-D

Classical, eh? I know bits here and there. Found a course in music appreciation in town the other day. Think I might give it a shot, I'd love to know
    more about it.

I'd do it in a heartbeat Donie.

Music is open to all doors to me!

Don't know much of Steely Dan - other than the fact that Chevy Chase was in them briefly.

I've heard they're good, any recommendations?

Poor old Jimi Hendrix. He never got the respect he deserved for laying the foundations for Stevie Ray Vaughan to become the best guitarist ever.

Don't know much of Steely Dan - other than the fact that Chevy Chase was in them briefly.

I've heard they're good, any recommendations?

the best of Steely Dan? :)

Came in two phases - a "proper" band - fixed line up, touring and stuff then the studio years (1975 on) - Donald Fagen and Walter Becker plus loads of session kings recording sleek high end albums for depraved dinner parties. The early stuff is probably the easiest way into the band, the latter stuff is thier best in my own opinion.

For me, the best Steely Dan album is 'Can't Buy A Thrill'...Do It Again, Kings, Dirty Work, and other songs that RTE can use for programme titles :D

Anyhoo, Alice Cooper night on BBC Four next Friday!

All hail the Coop!

:D:D:D

A quick plug for a TOTP show on another Channel 'Yesterday' (Sky 537) Sunday at 9pm**

I've seen some of the other "TOTP, The story of ..." docs, I think they are quite interesting.

Top of the Pops: The Story of 1976
    Documentary examining how the BBC's flagship pop show reflected changes in British music and culture during 1976. As the popularity of glam rock faded, no dominant musical scene emerged to replace it, leading to chart success for bands including Abba, Showaddywaddy, the Brotherhood of Man and the Wurzels - while outside the mainstream, punk rock was rapidly growing in popularity. Featuring contributions by Tony Blackburn, Paul Morley, Toyah Willcox, David Hamilton and Dave Haslam

** What sort of a name is 'Yesterday' for a TV Channel. Saying "Tomorrow on Yesterday" sounds all wrong.

• Advertisement

** What sort of a name is 'Yesterday' for a TV Channel. Saying "Tomorrow on Yesterday" sounds all wrong.

I think it used to be the History Channel Skid.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement