Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Ol' Donie wrote: »

AND

You're grounded.................:pac:

It tends to be all a bit over indulgent at times........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hmm.. that's odd. I like this more now than i did way back when.

Still, i think that's enough. Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

AND

Don't make Grey spank you, Donie!

:eek: :D

The Bends, still my favourite Radiohead album

:)

• Advertisement

Don't make Grey spank you, Donie!

:eek: :D

Believe me.

Neither of you want that to happen........;)

Who?!

This girl can do it all!....

I don't think I saw this before...

AND

Dont care. Grounded anyway.

*slams bedroom door and turns up Smells like teen spirit*

Dont care. Grounded anyway.

*slams bedroom door and turns up Smells like teen spirit*

***goes to hall and pulls the plug on the leckie***.....:D

• Advertisement

This girl can do it all!....

I don't think I saw this before...

Meh, i'm not impressed.

Meh, i'm not impressed.

Ah, she is not bad Donie, stop sulking in your room.....:D

***goes to hall and pulls the plug on the leckie***.....:D

*Picks up out of tune acoustic guitar*

*Picks up out of tune acoustic guitar*

:rolleyes:

Kids.............:pac:

Will the pair of you, keep it down!

*turns up Lyric FM*

Ah, she is not bad Donie, stop sulking in your room.....:D

Typical! Always disagreeing with everything i say!

(I was of course joking, that was amazing. How come i never saw that before?)

Typical! Always disagreeing with everything i say!

And no pocket money either for comics..........:p

Foofighters are a bit strange for me. I really like yer fella Grohl, but their tunes always seemed entirely unremarkable to me.

Foofighters are a bit strange for me. I really like yer fella Grohl, but their tunes always seemed entirely unremarkable to me.

First two albums were good, became a bit more bland and radio-friendly.

Will the pair of you, keep it down!

*turns up Lyric FM*

Yes Grandpaw..........

Your slippers and pipe are by the fire.......:p

• Advertisement

And no pocket money either for comics..........:p

Comics are for f&$#in kids.

I'm thirteen for f*** sake!

Etc etc

Yes Grandpaw..........

Your slippers and pipe are by the fire.......:p

These slippers go well with my silver trousers :)

This is getting 15 minutes..........

Not a sight of Rory....it's a BBC conspiracy......Boo..........

Wow. A city where everyone's sound.

I'd like to go there, someday.

These slippers go well with my silver trousers :)

***gets visual***

***shudders***

You are on your own there WM!!!!!!!!

Wow. A city where everyone's sound.

I'd like to go there, someday.

I wouldn't recommend it Donie, it's full of vacuous blonds on skates in shorts whizzing around........

Like what you're used to here.........:D

This is getting 15 minutes..........

Not a sight of Rory....it's a BBC conspiracy......Boo..........

Alright, beebrock confession time again...

I don't love Rory Gallagher.

Wait, wait! Come back!

I want to, i got a greatest hits, but it didnt grab me. What should i look for?

I wouldn't recommend it Donie, it's full of vacuous blonds on skates in shorts whizzing around........

Like what you're used to here.........:D

Where everyone is sound!

Well, alright, that's that box ticked.

Now this is the best ever......Rory used to play the Stadium every year......Magnificent!.....RIP.....:(

• Advertisement

Till tomorrow night folks!

Nos da!

PS. Highlights of last week's T In The Park about to start on BBC2 :)

I'm out too, sweet dreams you lot!! GSW xxx :)

Dear God, Barry Manilow's face.........That's just bad..... :(......

I'm deffo gone now - what a sight to see before you hit the pit!!!

Party on dudes!

Be excellent to each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you're off to bed and haven't seen this before, at least record it. Sound City is a great documentary.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you're off to bed and haven't seen this before, at least record it. Sound City is a great documentary.

I'm still watching........:o

Saw Stevie Nicks and had to stay watching.......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I just caught up on last weekends shows. I enjoyed The Guitar Riff programme. It's hard to believe that Rumble, the instrumental song, was banned.

I found an article which suggests the name 'rumble' caused problems, as well as the song.

http://www.pophistorydig.com/?tag=link-wray-rumble
    The song’s title — “Rumble” – was a stumbling block for some DJs; they just couldn’t get past it. However, the song itself, an instrumental, had no lyrics of course, so there was no language per se to incite kids; no fiery rhetoric. Still, those aware of the controversy took precautions. Even Dick Clark of American Bandstand, the popular TV dance show, was careful to avoid mentioning the song’s title when he introduced Wray and his band as guests in May 1958.

They really were different times. Although maybe PJ and Duncan were right to put a h in 'Let's get ready to rhumble' just to stop the kids getting overexcited!

Skid, if you were made of paper you'd be the Webster Dictionary........ :)

And another thing, BBC Radio 2 are doing a poll of the greatest 100 Guitar riffs of all time.

They will count them down in a special programme on August 25th
    Vote, Vote, Vote!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3CPpg0bvRvy4kVLtv49MyD6/radio-2-top-100-greatest-guitar-riffs-vote

They also have guitar tutorials on the same site. Now that's what I call Public Service Broadcasting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/mYXGYCXXZnm9hlhKY9T2wP/radio-2s-guitar-pickup-lesson-1

Ah, I might be washing my hair on the 25th.............

:):):)........ah, no I won't........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

And the beeb are using Justin. I've been following his tutorials online for a few years now. Small world. Haha

• Advertisement

Wow. So much good news, after some tough times beebrock-wise.

Better make sure not to miss that radio show.

I've watched a fair few of Justin's tutorials too. He's great. Even has a few Ukulele ones! Delighted he's working with the Beeb.

Wow. So much good news, after some tough times beebrock-wise.

Better make sure not to miss that radio show.

I've watched a fair few of Justin's tutorials too. He's great. Even has a few Ukukeke ones! Delighted he's working with the Beeb.

Donie, don't forget the ukulele..don't forsake it for the rift!!!.....:)

If I could divert the thread for one moment towards *cough* BeebRadio, as part of Radio 2's geetar season - documentary about Mick Ronson, Monday (28th.) at 10pm :)

Normal service is resumed!

It's the last TOTP until at least Mid September this week, apparently. A combination of the shows never actually happened (due to BBC strikes) and not being suitable for repeats (due to the presenters). At least by 1979 they had realised that it might be worth keeping the tapes of the old shows.

Elsewhere it's Pink Floyd, Prince, Northern Soul, Motown, Lionel Richie and Robbie Williams.

Thursday BBC4

7.30pm Top of The Pops 1979
    Kid Jensen presents an edition first broadcast August 30, 1979. Featuring performances by Secret Affair, Dollar, Nick Lowe, the Gibson Brothers, Gary Numan, Johnny Mathis, the Stranglers and Cliff Richard. Plus, dance sequences by Legs & Co

Friday BBC4

9.30pm & 12.30am - Northern Soul Living: For The Weekend
    A look at the rise, fall and re-birth of the music and dance movement that took place across the north of England during the 1970s. Archive footage and vivid first-hand accounts reveal the dynamic culture of fashions, dance moves and musical obsessions that were all fuelled by a unique style of black American soul music based on heavy beats. With contributions by Richard Searling, Ian Levine, Colin Kurtis, Kev Roberts, Pete Waterman, Peter Stringfellow and others

10.30pm & 1.30am - Motown at the BBC
    A compilation of studio performances by some of Motown's greatest artists, originally broadcast to mark the record label's 50th anniversary. Featuring Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Temptations, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, the Jackson Five, the Four Tops and Stevie Wonder

11.30pm & 2.30am - Prince: A Purple Reign
    Profile of the enigmatic American musician, who rose to fame in the 1980s with hits including 1999, Kiss and Raspberry Beret. As well as achieving significant commercial success around the world, he won critical acclaim for his adventurous, genre-blurring albums, such as Sign O' the Times and Around the World in a Day - while also making headlines for his sexually explicit lyrics and stage shows, as well as his legal battle to retain control of his name and music. Featuring contributions by guitarist Dez Dickerson, Public Enemy frontman Chuck D, soul singer Beverley Knight and Paisley Park label president Alan Leeds

Saturday BBC4

10.55pm - Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
    Documentary exploring the creation of the rock band's ninth studio album Wish You Were Here, which was released in 1975 and topped the charts in the UK and America. The record reflects on the legacy of Syd Barrett, who left Pink Floyd in 1968 and is eulogised in the song Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Featuring contributions by members Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason

11.55pm - Pink Floyd: A Delicate Sound of Thunder
    An extravagant concert film from the musicians' A Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, recorded at New York's Nassau Coliseum in August 1988 using 27 cameras. The performance sees David Gilmour, Rick Wright and Nick Mason deliver several seminal tracks, including Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Time, Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here

1.30am Top of the Pops As above

RTE1 10.50pm - Robbie Williams:One Night at The Palladium
    The former Take That star performs an evening of swing music and new songs recorded at the London Palladium on November 8, taken from his album Swings Both Ways and featuring special guests Lily Allen, Rufus Wainwright and Muppet megastars Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog

BBC4 Monday Night 2am - Lionel Richie: Dancing on the Ceiling
    Profile of the soul singer, who found fame in the 1970s as frontman of the Commodores. The programme looks at his departure from the band in 1982 and subsequent international success as a solo artist. With contributions by Kenny Rogers, Lemar, Motown songwriter and producer Gloria Jones and video director Bob Giraldi

Northern Soul on Friday Night there, BBC2 had a very similar (and very good) Northern Soul programme last September, presented by the then Newsnight Economics Editor Paul Mason (who is now at Channel 4). Only the BBC would do this, it would be like RTE getting Brian Dobson to do a documentary about the Seventies Underground Dublin punk scene of. Please commission this as soon as possible, RTE!

Music film of the week ... Dreamgirls on Channel 4 (Saturday Night, 12.05am)
    A 1960s singing trio are chosen to perform backing vocals for a popular performer - an event that launches the band on a successful career of their own. However, when the most attractive of the girls is picked as the face of the group, edging out the other two, personal rivalries begin to jeopardise their friendship. Musical drama, inspired by the rise to fame of Diana Ross and the Supremes, and starring Jamie Foxx, Beyonce Knowles, Eddie Murphy and an Oscar-winning Jennifer Hudson

Sadly, there is no Sounds of The Eighties this week, it is replaced by Beethoven at the Proms. Down with this sort of thing. Roll over Beethoven :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Skid X wrote: »
    Northern Soul on Friday Night there, BBC2 had a very similar (and very good) Northern Soul programme last September, presented by the then Newsnight Economics Editor Paul Mason (who is now at Channel 4).

The Paul Mason film was one of the loveliest little films in quite a while, made with great heart.

Waterman of course, created his own Motown in the 80's.

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahHahahHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

:D

Did the documentary makers forget to hire a make-up artist for the talking heads?

Everybody looks haggered!

Seeing as it's been ages since I mentioned Roy Orbison or Sky Arts ...

Tonight on Sky Arts 1 at 12.25am ...

Roy Orbison & Friends: A Black and White Night
    The singer performs his greatest hits, including Oh, Pretty Woman, It's Over and Crying, with a backing band made up of stars including Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, kd lang, Jennifer Warnes and Bonnie Raitt. Filmed at the Cocoanut Grove nightclub in Los Angeles

I heartily recommend this programme.

'Wish You Were Here'...absolute classic album.

'Shine On You Crazy Diamond! Has the quietest and longest intro in history :D

Always have to turn the volume up, thinking there's summat wrong with my record player!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement