Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

s8n wrote: »
    Its descended into a thread on classic rock and you tube links, would be better suited to classic rock forum

With respect, you have about three posts in the TV Forum in the last year. None of them in this thread. And none in the Classic Rock Forum either.

Why the sudden interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Skid X wrote: »
    With respect, you have about three posts in the TV Forum in the last year. None of them in this thread. And none in the Classic Rock Forum either.

Why the sudden interest?

It's a bit like the relation you haven't seen in years coming to visit and telling the family to move to the village where the streets have no name.......

getit??....

It was strange to see Jonathan King in the Genesis Documentary, given all the Yewtree hysteria at the moment. He was convicted of Sex offences and was in prison from 2001-2005.
    The broadcaster says it was essential to include him because of the "significant role" he played - having discovered Genesis, given them their name and produced their early works. They say he wasn't paid for his appearance.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/14/September/ts29Genesis_Documentary_Includes_Shamed_Impresario_Jonathan_King.shtml

It was strange to see Jonathan King in the Genesis Documentary, given all the Yewtree hysteria at the moment. He was convicted of Sex offences and was in prison from 2001-2005.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/14/September/ts29Genesis_Documentary_Includes_Shamed_Impresario_Jonathan_King.shtml

We will be left soon enough with no archives to look at if the baddies keep coming out of the closet....:(:(:(

We will be left soon enough with no archives to look at if the baddies keep coming out of the closet....:(:(:(

Maybe there's a decontamination period ... If it's alright to interview Jonathan King now, perhaps the blacklisted seventies material might eventually make it to air (if BBC Four survives long enough!)

Maybe there's a decontamination period ... If it's alright to interview Jonathan King now, perhaps the blacklisted seventies material might eventually make it to air (if BBC Four survives long enough!)

Horrible people. :mad:

Makes me feel sad I worked there, albeit for a short time. :(

With a bit of luck the Beeb will get it together....:o

rednik wrote: »
    Not enough mention of Steve Hackett and his solo career.

I don't think Ray Wilson, the singer from Stiltskin who replaced Phil Collins, was mentioned at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

I don't think Ray Wilson, the singer from Stiltskin who replaced Phil Collins, was mentioned at all.

To be honest I didn't expect to see or hear any mention of Ray, Daryl or Chester as this programme was advertised and promoted as being about the classic line up.

961BF920AC57418DA2D240C00C6FD0ED-0000362898-0003678409-00640L-3A19A5B3765744B7A6B9C027657774FE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Great documentary. I love Genesis. I've been a huge fan since my teens and they introduced me to the wonderful world of Progressive Rock. There were a couple of glaring omissions. Wind and Wuthering was left out of the album lineup. Calling All Stations and Ray Wilson was also brushed over. Although Calling All Stations was a Ray Wilson fronted album, I wasn't ever expecting an interview or a contribution from Ray but if they were focusing on the classic lineup then there were still two of the classic lineup involved in that album under the name Genesis. My own suspicion is that because the album was pretty much a flop that they just diced to sweep it under the carpet like the deformed child that used to get locked in the attic.

Steve didn't get enough exposure. His contributions seemed like the most forthright and honest on the night and his own solo career is about as high profile as Tony Bank's career. Much as I love Tony's music, his solo albums are largely dross. Great concepts overblow by meandering progressions and I always end up thinking he really needed a Phil Collins type of chap in there to tell him to keep the songs immediate and under 3 minutes! Steve has done some great stuff over the years in his own right and is the only o0ne who can dsitll be described as an active progressive rock artist. There was no mention of GTR also for instance. He deserved better.

Aside from that the TOTP special was also great. It was nice to have something to get excited about as a Genesis fan for a few hours anyway. I don't really think we'll have many more evenings like that.

• Advertisement

The BBC unveiled an All Star version of God Only Knows to promote their Music output today. Similar to the Perfect Day video some years back. It will be released as a single for Children In Need.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/god-only-knows-bbc-children-4397742

God-Only-Knows.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

God Only Knows is one of the most perfect pop songs ever written.

I'm not sure that they quite recreated the magic of Perfect Day, but they managed to get poor old Brian Wilson to perform. I'd say that took some phonecalls.

cml387 wrote: »
    God Only Knows is one of the most perfect pop songs ever written.

I'm not sure that they quite recreated the magic of Perfect Day, but they managed to get poor old Brian Wilson to perform. I'd say that took some phonecalls.

Yeah, on a first listen it didn't seem to have the same punch as Perfect Day. Maybe it's too well known (as you say, it's one of the best songs of all time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Elton is in 'God Only Knows', albeit only for one line.

And surprising to see Dave Grohl :eek: :D

Elton is in 'God Only Knows', albeit only for one line.

And surprising to see Dave Grohl :eek: :D

Yeah, Elton performs in both God Only Knows and Perfect Day ... does that make him the Bananarama of BBC music collaborations!? (They were the only act to perform in both Band Aid and Band Aid II)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Why the sudden interest?

Why does my posts in this forum come into play ? I'm a heavy user of this forum and as I already pointed out, this thread would be better suited elsewhere ?

My point still stands - This thread is now a nostalgic look via anecdotes and youtube links at (mainly) 70's rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Well that describes the majority of Beeb output if you take into account BBC4. Yes, there's Jools Holland and Glasto coverage but if we were doing word association and you said BBC4 to me, I'd immediately say Led Zepplin or Bowie. That's just the way it is!

Here are some programmes for your consideration. The BBC made a big deal about their new video to promote their BBC Music output. It seems to be all repeats again this week, shame they didn't make something new for the week that was in it ...

Thursday BBC4

7.30pm & 12.30am - Top Of The Pops 1979
    Kid Jensen presents an edition first broadcast on October 4, 1979. With performances by XTC, Blondie, Matumbi, Buggles, Sad Cafe, Squeeze, Rainbow, the Jags, Lena Martell and the Police. Plus, dance sequences from Legs & Co

Thursday TG4

11.45 Old Later With Jools Holland
    Bloc Party return to the studio to perform tracks from their third album Intimacy, and Jakob Dylan, son of Bob, sings Evil Is Alive and Well. Also appearing are Keane, with material from their new album Perfect Symmetry, together with Amadou and Mariam, Allen Toussaint and Dave Clark

Friday BBC2

11.40pm Newish Later With Jools Holland
    Extended edition of Tuesday night's show. Veteran south Wales rock band Manic Street Preachers perform Europa Geht Durch Mich from their recent album Futurology as well as a classic track from 1994's The Holy Bible. Londoner Jessie Ware plays songs from her forthcoming release Tough Love, and Devon singer-songwriter Ben Howard showcases tunes from his new long-player I Forget Where We Were. Also appearing are New Jersey funk and soul group Robert Randolph & the Family Band, New Orleans-based blues and soul guitarist Benjamin Booker and Belgian jazz singer Melanie De Biasio

Friday BBC4

9pm &12.30am Imagine: Jimi Hendrix:Hear My Train a Comin'
    Alan Yentob profiles the American guitarist who enjoyed just four years of mainstream exposure in the late 1960s, but who lives on thanks to his influential music. Jimi Hendrix was a true original, a once private in the 101st Airborne who famously found an audience when former Animals bass player Chas Chandler discovered him and brought him over to the UK. He revolutionised the music scene and pushed his musical gifts to their extremes to become arguably the greatest rock guitarist of all time. Bob Smeaton's film features never-before-seen performance footage, home movies and family letters, as well as contributions by the Hendrix family, Paul McCartney and former bandmates Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell

10.30pm & 2am Jimi Hendrix: The Road to Woodstock
    A definitive account of one of the guitarist's most celebrated performances, at the New York festival in 1969, featuring signature renditions of Purple Haze, Voodoo Child and the Star Spangled Banner. The programme includes interviews with Woodstock promoter Michael Lang and Hendrix's band members Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cox, Larry Lee and Juma Sultan

11.30pm & 3am Guitar Riffs at The BBC
    A compilation of clips and performances featuring some of the best guitar stars of all time, including Jimi Hendrix, the Kinks, Cream, AD/DC, the Smiths, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Pixies and the Stone Roses

Saturday RTE1
    11.25pm - The Imelda May Show (repeat)
    The singer-songwriter celebrates Ireland's love of music alongside Finbar Furey, the Original Rudeboys, Nathan Carter and Sharon Shannon, in a series of performances filmed in front of a live studio audience

Saturday BBC2
    1.30am TOTP2
    Mark Radcliffe introduces more performances from the BBC archive, featuring artists including Altered Images, the Who, Belinda Carlisle, Charlene, Ozzy Osbourne and Kid Creole & the Coconuts. The programme also features a song by Rufus Wainwright

Saturday BBC4
    10.55pm Britain's Most Dangerous Songs: Listen to the Banned
    The stories of 10 songs, dating from the 1930s to the present day, that were considered unsuitable by the BBC for broadcasting on its radio and television stations. Tunes include Lola by the Kinks, Jackie by Scott Walker and (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang by Heaven 17, though it is perhaps surprising that Bing Crosby and the Munchkins are among the other performers on the list. The reasons why these records were censored reveals much of the changing controversies around youth culture. Contributors include Carrie Grant, Paul Morley, Stuart Maconie, Glen Matlock, Mike Read and Jon Robb

11.55pm More Dangerous Songs: And the Banned Played On
    A compilation of songs that have previously been banned by the BBC, including Lola by rockers the Kinks, singer-songwriter Scott Walker's Jackie and (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang by synthpop band Heaven 17

12.55am TOTP2 (as above)

And that, as they say, is that. The Oscar Winning Shine about the troubled Piano genius Shiny McShine is on BBC2 on Saturday at 11.50pm if you're into that

BBC to drop all DLT TOTP

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/08/bbc-top-of-the-pops-dave-lee-travis

I'm just waiting for the Kid Jensen and Noel Edmunds revelations and then it'll be impossible! :p

High time there was a documentary about what became known as the 'Irish Top Of The Pops'!

14th. January 1993 - The Frank And Walters (After All) and Sultans Of Ping (You Talk Too Much) on the same show!

:D

• Advertisement

High time there was a documentary about what became known as the 'Irish Top Of The Pops'!

14th. January 1993 - The Frank And Walters (After All) and Sultans Of Ping (You Talk Too Much) on the same show!

:D

Ah, good times :) I don't get to many gigs these days but I have seen both of them in the last few years. They both sounded well.

That'd be a class documentary. It's the kind of thing RTE Radio do for their 'Doc on One' but a telly version would be sweet.

Ah, good times :) I don't get to many gigs these days but I have seen both of them in the last few years. They both sounded well.

That'd be a class documentary. It's the kind of thing RTE Radio do for their 'Doc on One' but a telly version would be sweet.

Had The Four Of Us released 'She Hits Me' a few weeks earlier, they would have also been on that edition.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Well, Happy Birthday David Lee Roth. 60 today.

Go ahead and jump, you mad b******!

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Well, Happy Birthday David Lee Roth. 60 today.

Go ahead and jump, you mad b******!

*opens window and puts speakers facing outwards onto the world*

*plays 'Hot For Teacher' at maximum volume*

:cool:

BBC music nerd and frequent contributor to BBC4 Paul Gambaccini won't be charged with any offences
    BBC broadcaster Paul Gambaccini will not face action over alleged historical sex offences, prosecutors say.

The 65-year-old was held at a south London address in October last year as part of the Metropolitan Police's Operation Yewtree investigation.

The Crown Prosecution Service said the inquiry followed claims of sex offences against two teenage boys in the early 1980s.

Mr Gambaccini said he has suffered "12 months of trauma".

He has always denied the claims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29574077

That's all well and good, Skid, but where were you for the LLS?

:-D

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    That's all well and good, Skid, but where were you for the LLS?

:-D

:)

Ah sure, everybody needs a night out once in a while. I will catch on the LLS and all that later on. I hope it was watchable.

While I'm here, BBC Radio 4 has some very good music Docs available to stream. I think they have beefed up the selection since the last time I plugged it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01f50fb?page=4

There's a Spandau Ballet thing on ITV on Tuesday. I haven't heard much about it, but I know this much is true ...

9pm Tuesday ITV: Spandau Ballet: True Gold
    Pop legends Spandau Ballet celebrate 35 years as Britain's favourite New Romantics with a one-off programme in which they perform some of their greatest hits, including Gold, To Cut a Long Story Short and True. The group, who went from cult club band to international superstars, join Christine Bleakley to talk about the highs and lows that came as part and parcel of hitting the big time. They discuss those well-documented rows about royalties which caused almost irreparable damage among the friends and took them to high court, while Gary Kemp reveals that another 1980s pop star inspired their chart-topping hit True. Plus, the men reveal all about what they got up to while out on the road for all those years

There's a Spandau Ballet thing on ITV on Tuesday. I haven't heard much about it, but I know this much is true ...

Aw, Skid, that's Gold.

Heh.

I'll be Hungry Like The Wolf with anticipation to see that documentary.

Whoops, wrong band.

*gets coat*

• Advertisement

I'll be Hungry Like The Wolf with anticipation to see that documentary.

Whoops, wrong band.

*gets coat*

I was going to try to think of a smart arse response, but it's Sunday Night and I don't need that pressure on :)

I was going to try to think of a smart arse response, but it's Sunday Night and I don't need that pressure on :)

cut a long story short Skid, but I won't as I lost my mind...:o

Another chance to see Jeff Lynne's ELO in Hyde Park next Friday on BBC Four :D

Here come the weekend ... with lots of Jools Holland, ELO, Robert Plant and Northern Soul. And if you are thinking "That's all very well, but I would much prefer to hear a lecture by Iggy Pop about the issues surrounding free music in a Capitalist Society", then you are in luck .

Thursday BBC2

10pm - Later with Jools Holland (new)
    Irish singer and activist Sinead O'Connor returns to the show to perform numbers from her most recently album I'm Not Bossy, I'm the Boss, while Pakistan-born south London singer-songwriter Rumer showcases tunes from her new long-player Into Colour. California rock band Rival Sons play tracks from their fourth album Great Western Valkyrie and Hackney musician and producer Labrinth debuts tracks from his forthcoming record Take Me to the Truth. French/Cuban twins Ibeyi reveal music from their debut album and Canadian singer-songwriter Adam Cohen, son of Leonard Cohen, provides a track from his fifth album We Go Home. The host also chats with the former lead singer of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Holly Johnson, about his first new album in 15 years. This week's show is not being transmitted live

Thursday TG4

11.55pm - Later with Jools Holland (Old)
    The iconic and legendary Grace Jones performs a track or two from her first album in 18 years, Hurricane, which sees her reunited with the likes of Sly and Robbie. From Louisville, Kentucky's My Morning Jacket pop in to perform tunes from their Evil Urges album, and Brazilian musician and filmstar Seu Jorge takes to the studio with a number or two from his America Brasil album. North London's Razorlight return with their much anticipated album Slipwire Fires, and Welsh born sideman to the stars Geraint Watkins presents songs from the album of his career In a Bad Mood.

Friday BBC2
    11.35pm: Later With Jools Holland
    Extended version of Thursday's show

Friday BBC4

9pm & 1.35am - Mr Blue Sky: The Story of Jeff Lynne and ELO
    The life and career of singer-songwriter Jeff Lynne, from his early days in the Birmingham rock scene to his success with Electric Light Orchestra during the 1970s and stint as a member of the Traveling Wilburys with Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison and George Harrison. Featuring contributions by the artist himself, along with his friends and colleagues Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Joe Walsh, Barbara Orbison and Eric Idle

10pm & 2.35am - Jeff Lynne's ELO at Hyde Park
    The Electric Light Orchestra's first live performance in 28 years at Hyde Park, closing BBC Radio 2's Festival in a Day in front of a 50,000-strong crowd. The show saw Jeff Lynne lead a band that included original ELO keyboard player Richard Tandy and the BBC Concert Orchestra through hits including Livin' Thing, Sweet Talkin' Woman, Don't Bring Me Down, Mr Blue Sky and Roll Over Beethoven. The frontman also paid tribute to his bandmates from the supergroup the Travelling Wilburys, with a performance of Handle with Care

11.25pm - Robert Plant: By Myself
    The singer discusses his varied life and musical career, including his upbringing in the West Midlands town of Stourbridge, his rise to stardom as the singer of influential rock band Led Zeppelin and his solo projects. The programme also reflects on his collaboration with country singer Alison Krauss, with whom he made the Grammy-winning album Raising Sand, and his reunion with virtuoso guitarist Jimmy Page

12.25am - Robert Plant @ Glastonbury
    Mark Radcliffe presents a performance by legendary Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant and his band the Sensational Space Shifters, at the music festival held at Worthy Farm, near Pilton in Somerset

Saturday BBC2
    1.20am - TOTP2
    Mark Radcliffe presents memorable performances from the BBC archives by Thin Lizzy, Gotye, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Swing Out Sister, Tight Fit, New Order, Bow Wow Wow and the Rattles

Saturday BBC4
    10.55pm - Northern Soul: Living For The Weekend
    A look at the rise, fall and rebirth of the music and dance movement that took place across the north of England during the 1970s. Archive footage and vivid first-hand accounts reveal the dynamic culture of fashions, dance moves and musical obsessions that were all fuelled by a unique style of black American soul music based on heavy beats. With contributions by Richard Searling, Ian Levine, Colin Kurtis, Kev Roberts, Pete Waterman, Peter Stringfellow and others

11.55pm - Motown at the BBC
    A compilation of studio performances by some of Motown's greatest artists, originally broadcast to mark the record label's 50th anniversary. Featuring Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Temptations, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, the Jackson Five, the Four Tops and Stevie Wonder

Sunday BBC4

7pm - The Story of Top of The Pops 1979
    A look back at a heady year for the chart show, which recorded its highest audience of 19 million viewers, as physical format singles peaked at four times that number. Social problems in Britain during the Winter of Discontent did not stop inventive musicians from making hay as eager fans queued up to embrace their output, and new wave, 2-tone, reggae, rock, folk and electro hits competed for the top slots. Among the featured artists are Gary Numan, Nile Rodgers, Jah Wobble and Woody from Madness

8pm -BBC Music John Peel Lecture 2014 with Iggy Pop
    The singer-songwriter delivers the annual lecture and discusses the subject of free music in a capitalist society. Plus, Lauren Laverne talks to Iggy about his musical legacy before a specially invited audience ask him their burning questions

That's all for now. Rock Around The Clock is on BBC2 on Saturday at 1pm if you want to see what it was like back then. Go Cat Go!

Go, cat go! :-D:-D:-D

Man, Friday looks good. Real good.

Go Cat Go, me hole!

Rock and Roll will never catch on...skiffle's where it's at!

Go Cat Go, me hole!

Rock and Roll will never catch on...skiffle's where it's at!

I hear ya, if James Page had stayed true to his roots instead of messing around with the Rock and Roll with Planteh things might have been very different. Such a waste of talent!

Yay for Jeff Lynne! :)

Boo-urns for pointlessly re-recording old material! :(

Rock and Roll is King and Hold On Tight are practically the same song.

is it me or is the drummers arse out of picture this time (have they reframed every shot from that angle?)?

• Advertisement

I love Robert Plant so much, when he metamorphosis' into Mick Wallace I physically can't watch him...

Robert Plant playing 60 kilometres north of Timbuktu ...

If he would just go and reform Led Zep he could be getting gigs much closer to home :mad::D

Robert Plant playing 60 kilometres north of Timbuktu ...

If he would just go and reform Led Zep he could be getting gigs much closer to home :mad::D

I'd put up a tent for him in the back garden!!...:D

As you would....:pac:

Mark Radcliffe doing the voiceover ... he gets a lot of work for BBC Four.

Fair play to him, I remember listening to his Hit The North show on the original BBC Radio 5 way back in 1991-2 ish. He's a solid presenter, still a regular on 6music.

That song is awful.... :(

Oh, I would have given my back teeth to have been at that concert!!...

and even the front ones!!

• Advertisement

That night Robert Plant was messing around doing backing vocals on The Saturday Night Show was frustrating.

The one time they had a proper 'A list' guest and he pretended he wasn't there.

There is an awful lot of ten gallon hats going on there!!

That night Robert Plant was messing around doing backing vocals on The Saturday Night Show was frustrating.

The one time they had a proper 'A list' guest and he pretended he wasn't there.

Wasn't he just promoting the Mrs though??....and didn't want it to be about him.....

As if that was going to happen......:(

I hate it when Rockers grow old and find C&W....... :(

Wasn't he just promoting the Mrs though??....and didn't want it to be about him.....

As if that was going to happen......:(

Yeah, all credit to Mrs Plant but that's like paying to see Mrs Maradona playing football when Hubby is in the Dugout shouting out advice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement