Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Skid X wrote: »
    Yeah, all credit to Mrs Plant but that's like paying to see Mrs Maradona playing football when Hubby is in the Dugout shouting out advice.

But....but...but.....

It was very dreary....;)

I think I wouldn't even notice the rain there....

It's like a scene from Midsommer Murder where Suzi Quatro got electrocuted on the stage...not from the rain mind but I was just thinking.......... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Well, your mind works in strange directions Skid!!....

Ah, RIP to Joey's Mammy as she will always be affectionately known!.... :)

She was an interesting woman by the sounds of it!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A43hdpVdSos

Lads, I'm sure yis are enjoying bbc4's buzz at the minute (I wish i could join you, I will soon!) but it'd be good to take a few mins to dig this from Stevie Ray Vaughan.

One of my favourites.

And other news Skid?....

While the interlude is on...

Yeah, there's a tale to remember next time you watch The Commitments!
    Ninety-two-year-old Mary Maura O'Malley from Slane was recently awarded a diploma in social studies after studying at the International Foundation for Adult Education (IFAE) for the past year.

Born on 12th November 1919 in Ballintobber, Claremorris, Co Mayo, Ms O'Malley was the second eldest of seven children. She worked as a PE teacher for six years after studying physical education in Scotland, and gaining her degree.

She is one of the founding members of physical education in Ireland and also Ireland's first PE teacher.

Planteh doing a nice gig here. Not just going through the motions.

Sometimes I'm not in the mood for monkeying around with classics....this is one of them....

I keep playing the song in my head and this is just not working....

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A43hdpVdSos

Lads, I'm sure yis are enjoying bbc4's buzz at the minute (I wish i could join you, I will soon!) but it'd be good to take a few mins to dig this from Stevie Ray Vaughan.

One of my favourites.

Good man Donie ...

tumblr_m6vbasSSL91qg7jbzo1_500.png

You could choose worse mottos to live by

Sometimes I'm not in the mood for monkeying around with classics....this is one of them....

I keep playing the song in my head and this is just not working....

I know what you mean :mad:

Lets rock ...

• Advertisement

Dear God, thank you for this song..... :)

I listened to this sitting on top of Table Mountain once....

Heaven.

With a blue Sony Walkman.....

Setlist for this show *Spoiler alert*

Edit: I may have been mixing up my setlists.

Sorry, is all that I can say

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/robert-plant/2014/worthy-farm-pilton-england-6bc1aa96.html

Setlist for this show *Spoiler alert*

Hmmm ... not impressed with the 'Reimagined' warning on the final song. Just play the hits, the way we remember them.

I hear you Skid....couldn't agree more. There is a time and a place. This is not the time. I'd have headed off to the bar a couple of times there!!!..

I listened to this sitting on top of Table Mountain once....

Heaven.

With a blue Sony Walkman.....

I got out my Walkman last year and a twenty-something acquaintance of mine laughed at it :(

The kids these days, with their Hipping and their Hopping.

Table Mountain sounds class :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Jaysus, I hate these self-indulgent prigs. Plant should be blasting out the Led Zeppelin classics. Nobody wants to listen to this shyte, apart from Plant himself.

I got out my Walkman last year and a twenty-something acquaintance of mine laughed at it :(

The kids these days, with their Hipping and their Hopping.

Table Mountain sounds class :)

Ah, I still have all the old stuff, mouldy but still there!!....

Table Mountain was fantastic Skid, I was talking to little grey and we are going to go walkabouts there in the not to distant future!!....:) The cable car up to it was not so great though!!...:( Bit rickity! but that was in the olden days!!...:D

Jaysus, I hate these self-indulgent prigs. Plant should be blasting out the Led Zeppelin classics. Nobody wants to listen to this shyte, apart from Plant himself.

I've been trying to say the exact same in a much discreeter way Harry.

Sometimes you have to say manure is manure but I still have to hold back for God's of Rock....:o

I'd be mouldy drunk at this concert.....

I'd be the beer messenger for anyone with beer vouchers...em, money...

• Advertisement

The worst example of self indulgent rockery I heard was when The Kinks kept teasing the audience by playing the intro to Lola but never actually played the song in full.

You can f-u-c-k f*** off with that, Ray Davies when people paid good money to see you.

The worst example of self indulgent rockery I heard was when The Kinks kept teasing the audience by playing the intro to Lola but never actually played the song in full.

You can f-u-c-k f*** off with that, Ray Davies when people paid good money to see you.

He wouldn't do that in Ireland and get away with it I'd say!!....:eek:

The crowd nearly pass out with hearing a song they know....

***TOTP***

RIP I think.... :(

Overall I'd want my teeth back.

All of them.

That setlist.fm is a good site to check before buying tickets. It's useful to know if your favourite artist is going to play all the classics, or give you about 0.4% of a song you know, like Mr. Plant.

• Advertisement

That setlist.fm is a good site to check before buying tickets. It's useful to know if your favourite artist is going to play all the classics, or give you about 0.4% of a song you know, like Mr. Plant.

It's the random tangent they go of on that does my head in really.....

It's like blah blah in work and you hear something that perks you up but then you go into coma again...

This version is shi......not good.....:(

S and the B's in a spider ad????

Not good.

S and the B's in a spider ad????

Not good.

The only Spiders I like ...

I still have a spider in a jar to be identified in the press....

****don't tell little grey****

I bet Jeff had no girlfriends at school....

You'd have to have a sat nav to find his face...

• Advertisement

I bet Jeff had no girlfriends at school....

You'd have to have a sat nav to find his face...

It's a living thing ... it's a terrible thing to lose

It's a living thing ... it's a terrible thing to lose

:D:D:D

I'd say it would bring you down all right!!:pac:

Of course you could always hold on tight and ignore the evil woman....

I know its long after his heyday, but I love Jeff Lynne/The Wilburys version of Runaway

I'm laughing at Tom Petty saying he bought the tape because he couldn't get a big selection, I remember buying tapes for the sake of having something to play on the "cassette machine".....

hahahaha...I bought some dogs of tapes but I also got some gems!!....

First gem was a bootleg of Yazoo's first album in St. John's Market in Liverpool....one of the best and finest times in my life having the lols there!!!...

Off to the big blue sky....xxx :)

This 'Jeff Lynne and ELO' documentary is really a Travelling Wilburys retrospective.

I'm very happy with that, I love the Wilburys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

John Peel - his influence on music is incalculable, and still sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

ELO at Hyde Park:

Living Thing - Outstanding!

I see Later with Jools Holland is giving a break to new Irish beat combo U2 tonight, who make their debut on the show (10pm BBC2 except BBC2NI who show it at 11.50pm. Longer version at the weekend, as ever.
    Dublin rock band U2 make their debut on the show to perform songs from their new album Songs of Innocence. Joining Jools for his first-ever performance on the programme is London singer-songwriter Sam Smith, responsible for one of the best-selling albums of 2014 so far, In the Lonely Hour. New York rockers Interpol return 10 years after their last appearance to perform tracks from their fifth studio album El Pintor. Also appearing are Zola Jesus aka Arizona singer Nika Roza Danilova, and Dave & Phil Alvin from seminal Californian rock 'n' roll band the Blasters reuniting for the first time in almost 30 years

And tomorrow night sees a number of Irish acts tackle Johhny Cash cover versions in Ceol Johnny Cash (TG4, Wednesday 10.30pm)
    Republic of Loose, Fiachna Ó Braonáin and the Hot Sprockets, Jack L and Eleanor McEvoy perform personal renditions of Johnny Cash classics Cry Cry Cry, I Walk the Line and Ring of Fire

While BBC4 fills a gap in their schedule tomorrow with Big Hits: TOTP 1964 to 1975 (11.35pm) and Sounds of the Eighties (1.05am)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Wouldn't be a bad gig for any of the younger hipsters to see the aul fellas working the small crowd in Jool's new Milton Keynes gaff.
    Mostly beeb's runners/stoney faced suits or roadie crew from other performers with their freebie tickets perhaps.

They could probably dish out a few tips for anyone unfamiliar iTunes or their tunage.

E.g. How to achieve B's 'never too early' pre-chorus pentatonic scale climbs. A's steady 40Hz limiter-compressor-sustainer to the bassbins. E's location of echo chambers/reverb springtanks (at very end of fx-chain ideally!), seems also to be lots of fuzz breakup guitar lead on the latest long player, 'tis all the rage.

Fav appearance over the years has to be Prono4Pyros, Perry Farrell and the funksters sure like to go a bit avant-garde, dig.

• Advertisement

I'm very happy with that, I love the Wilburys.

Have you got 'Travelling Wilburys Volume 2', Skid?

:pac: ;)

Have you got 'Travelling Wilburys Volume 2', Skid?

:pac: ;)

I spent ages looking for Volume 2, The Internet would have made life a lot easier back then!

I reckon Tom Pettys Full Moon Fever was vol 2, all the Wilburys are on it!

Hello, that Abba triple bill is on yet again on Friday. Sunday sees the start of a new series about The Foo Fighters. But BBC4 are only going to show the first two episodes on Sunday, then skip the next four and show the last two in December. Now That's What I Call Half Arsed Scheduling - if they don't want the series, they shouldn't have bought it ...

Friday BBC4
    9pm The Joy of Abba
    10pm Abba at the BBC
    11pm Agnetha: Abba and after
    Midnight: Disco at the BBC

Friday BBC2 NI
    11.35pm Later with Jools Holland
    Extended edition. Dublin rock band U2 make their debut on the show to perform songs from their new album Songs of Innocence. Joining Jools for his first-ever performance on the programme is London singer-songwriter Sam Smith, responsible for one of the best-selling albums of 2014 so far, In the Lonely Hour. New York rockers Interpol return 10 years after their last appearance to perform tracks from their fifth studio album El Pintor. Also appearing are Zola Jesus aka Arizona singer Nika Roza Danilova, Tunbridge Wells garage punk two piece Slaves, and Dave & Phil Alvin from seminal Californian rock 'n' roll band the Blasters reuniting for the first time in almost 30 years

Saturday BBC4
    10.50pm Elvis That All Right 60 Years On
    Actor and musician Sam Palladian hosts a musical tribute to Elvis Presley, 60 years after the artist recorded his first single That's All Right at Sun Studios in Memphis, Tennessee. The presenter traces Elvis's story from a childhood spent in poverty to the moment he entered a recording booth to perform the track that would act as a springboard to his success. Featuring performances of a selection of the King of Rock 'n' Roll's finest songs from artists including Candi Staton, the Pierces and Laura Bell Bundy

11.50pm Top of The Pops 1979
    Andy Peebles presents an edition first broadcast on October 11, 1979. Includes performances by the Dooleys, the Headboys, Chic, Dr Hook, Viola Wills, the Charlie Daniels Band, Errol Dunkley, Cats UK, Dave Edmunds, Dana and the Police. Plus, dance sequences by Legs & Co

1.30am Sound of The Sixties
    Recalling a decade in British music, with archive performances from the early stages of the `swingin' era, featuring music by by rock, pop and R'n'B artists including the Springfields, the Shadows, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones

Saturday BBC2NI
    12.25am TOTP2
    Mark Radcliffe introduces another selection of archive performances, including tunes by BJ Thomas, Billy Ocean, Prefab Sprout, Five Star and Ralph McTell

Sunday BBC4
    10pm Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways
    New series. Part 1/8 The rock band commemorate their 20th anniversary by documenting the eight-city recording odyssey behind their latest album, Sonic Highways. Lead singer Dave Grohl takes his band on a tour of America, where they visit various studios and meet the musicians who have helped shape the country's vast musical wealth, and allow these experiences to influence the recording of their lyrics. The first stop is Chicago, where blues icons Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters made their names in the 1950s and 60s. At Electrical Audio Studios, Dave meets up with owner Steve Albini, who was a founding member of Big Black and Shellac and also produced Nirvana's third and final studio album In Utero

11pm Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways
    Part 2/8 The rock band continue to commemorate their 20th anniversary by documenting the recording odyssey behind their latest album, Sonic Highways. Lead singer Dave Grohl takes his band to Washington, DC, the birthplace of go-go. He sits down with Trouble Funk's Big Tony Fisher to discuss the genre, which originated with the so-called `Godfather of go-go' Chuck Brown. There is also an interview with the owner of Inner Ear Studios Don Zientara. This series will return to BBC Four in December with episodes 7 and 8. Episodes 3, 4, 5 and 6 will be available on BBC iPlayer in the coming weeks

That Foo Fighters programme is a HBO production, I'm surprised Sky Arts don't have the rights to it. Anyway, You could always give Quadrophenia a lash (Sunday ITV4 12.05am).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The Joy of Abba, indeed.

Jools from Dublin will be worth watching. I'd be having a bit of that.

U2 barely ever get a mention round here, what's the vibe towards 'em? I totally admire them for both their success and the humanitarian work.
    But i'm afraid I struggle with quite a lot of their music. They have a few tunes that I love, but most of it isn't for me.

Edit: that's a wee bit absurd showing a couple of episodes of the Foo Fighters series. Especially since there are so many repeats over the weekend.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The Joy of Abba, indeed.

Jools from Dublin will be worth watching. I'd be having a bit of that.

U2 barely ever get a mention round here, what's the vibe towards 'em? I totally admire them for both their success and the humanitarian work.
    But i'm afraid I struggle with quite a lot of their music. They have a few tunes that I love, but most of it isn't for me.

Yeah, they don't get much love.

I really like some of their stuff, especially Achtung Baby and bits from their other big albums. Maybe they hung around too long on a gradual decline, If they had all died in a bizarre gardening accident around 1992 they would be more iconic than they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

TOTP favouite Alvin Stardust is dead.

alvin-stardust-09.jpg

R.I.P. Alvin

Ah, poor Alvin...

72!....Where does the time go?...RIP

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/1023/654359-singer-alvin-stardust-dies-aged-72/

• Advertisement

RIP Alvin :(

Apart from his music work he did the Safe Green Cross Code ads for years, and he was in the first ever episode of Hollyoaks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement