Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Who knew "Bettttttyyy" had that voice??.....

Great production, I've seen it many times....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Andrew Lloyd Webber has so much to answer for.

Never mind Phantom of the opera, all his nonsense gives me the creeps.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Andrew Lloyd Webber has so much to answer for.

Never mind Phantom of the opera, all his nonsense gives me the creeps.

Booooo Donie......

He had to give the Mrs a job after all!!!.....

Booooo Donie......

He had to give the Mrs a job after all!!!.....

Booo nothing! Feckin musicals!

Was yer one Sarah Brightman his missus?

The hell is Bahaus?

Hate the stupid shaped git-ars.

Seem like fun fellers!

Booo nothing! Feckin musicals!

Was yer one Sarah Brightman his missus?

She most certainly was Donie.....

And she of this classic.....

Please tell me Donie you know who Bela Lugosi is??....

She most certainly was Donie.....

And she of this classic.....

Aaaaargh! Turn it off! Turn it off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

They did the Monster Mash!

I choo choo choose you!
    (and there is a picture of a train)

• Advertisement

Please tell me Donie you know who Bela Lugosi is??....

I know who Bela Lugosi is!

Jesus, what do you think of me!?

efb wrote: »
    They did the Monster Mash!

I choo choo choose you!
    (and there is a picture of a train)

Ha, that's what I always think when I hear this.

And they actually make the lovely girls disband.....

I could never understand why there wasn't riots on the streets....

She has that guitar back to front, right?

She has that guitar back to front, right?

Is this a woman thing Donie.....:mad:

Get that girl to a Dentist quickly.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

She looks a bit like Lady Gaga

Woah, some of this is actually scary.

Woah, some of this is actually scary.

Would you not bring her home to meet the mater and pater Donie??.....:p

• Advertisement

Is this a woman thing Donie.....:mad:

??

Okaaay. Well, I hope it works out for yis?

(I'm sorry, I really don't get it!) :-)

*****Drooooolllllsssss*****

What a divine man........

Would you not bring her home to meet the mater and pater Donie??.....:p

Might bring her to the church, if only to find a priest and a crucifix!

*****Drooooolllllsssss*****

What a divine man........

Well, I certainly hope Nevin McGuire isn't reading this! :-D

Well, I certainly hope Nevin McGuire isn't reading this! :-D

Neven for the Kitchen, Bryan for the Bedroom Donie......;):pac:

Neven for the Kitchen, Bryan for the Bedroom Donie......;):pac:

Have you a piano in the bedroom or something?

Wait a minute...!

• Advertisement

Have you a piano in the bedroom or something?

Wait a minute...!

Yeah, it's on the ceiling Donie.....:p:pac:

True Classic.

Anyone who ever went to The Grove will understand.....

STOP!

HAMMER TIME!

I don't think there's any excusing this.

***clicks fingers***

What's the craic with the redneck looking audience?

:-D

• Advertisement

Great songs!!......

And they say the 80s is the decade fashion forgot.

Pfft.

And they say the 80s is the decade fashion forgot.

Pfft.

That's the type of suit I'd expect any suitor of little grey to come into my house wearing Donie.....;):p

You heard that about next months Country special. Yee haw!

It would be lovely to see the whole of this video - about 12 mins long?......

That's the type of suit I'd expect any suitor of little grey to come into my house wearing Donie.....;):p

In a different colour every time!

Funny how it turned out 'ol MJ was indeed very creepy.

In a different colour every time!

And my shotgun would be the same colour all the time.....:eek::D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Heads up...

Episode 3 of the Foo Fighters 'Sonic Highways' is now on BBC iPlayer.

Nashville :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hi there, it's Country Music time on BBC Four and BBC Radio 2. That's an excuse for BBC Four to roll out their Dolly Parton and John Denver programmes again. And one new documentary. But there's lots of other stuff repeated too ...

Thursday on BBC4

7.30pm & 12.30am: Top of The Pops 1979
    Mike Read presents an edition first broadcast on November 1, 1979. Featuring performances by Sparks, the Ramblers, Darts, the Jam, Lene Lovich, Thin Lizzy, Suzi Quatro, BA Robertson and Lena Martell. Plus, dance sequences by Legs & Co

11.30pm: Dusty Springfield at the BBC
    A tribute to the renowned London-born pop diva, featuring BBC archive footage of some of Dusty's most famous performances from 1961 to 1995. The programme also offers a chance to relive the singer's story, from her folk beginnings with the Springfields, through to her Motown homage years and her collaboration with Pet Shop Boys in the late 1980s. Also includes the star's duets with Tom Jones and Mel Torme

1.05am Sounds of the Eighties
    Showcasing a selection of musical performances from the BBC archives, featuring the Teardrop Explodes, Orange Juice, Robert Wyatt, Aztec Camera, Billy Bragg, the Fall, Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians, the Pogues and the Style Council

1.30am: Queens of Disco
    Graham Norton celebrates the careers of some of the greatest names in disco music, including Gloria Gaynor, Donna Summer, Grace Jones and Chaka Khan. He also explores Madonna's return to her 1980s roots and the success it brought her in the UK pop charts

Thursday on TG4
    11.50 pm:Later with Jools Holland
    Scottish rockers Franz Ferdinand showcase songs from their album Tonight: Franz Ferdinand, while ska group the Specials also perform. American singer-songwriter Carole King makes an appearance with tracks from her classic Tapestry album, and New York indie trio Yeah Yeah Yeahs play songs from their third record It's Blitz! The Mummers, a big band from Brighton, also perform

Friday on BBC4
    9pm & 1.30am: The Heart of Country: How Nashville Became Music City USA
    A historical biography of the hub of country music, revealing the relationship between commerce and art that has defined Nashville since 1925, and exploring the conflicts and demons that have confronted artists and the industry. The documentary charts the creative pressures of `the Nashville sound', the impact of Elvis then Bob Dylan, and the rise and fall of the Urban Cowboys. Featuring the testimonies of musicians, producers and broadcasters, including Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Brad Paisley and Steve Earle, as well as archived footage of performances by Nashville's greatest - from Johnny Cash to Loretta Lynn, and George Jones to Garth Brooks

10.30pm & 3am: Country Queens at the BBC
    A historical biography of the hub of country music, revealing the relationship between commerce and art that has defined Nashville since 1925, and exploring the conflicts and demons that have confronted artists and the industry. The documentary charts the creative pressures of `the Nashville sound', the impact of Elvis then Bob Dylan, and the rise and fall of the Urban Cowboys. Featuring the testimonies of musicians, producers and broadcasters, including Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Brad Paisley and Steve Earle, as well as archived footage of performances by Nashville's greatest - from Johnny Cash to Loretta Lynn, and George Jones to Garth Brooks

11.30pm Dolly Parton: Platinum Blonde
    The life and career of one of the best-loved country singer-songwriters, whose prolific career has seen her reach superstar status. Interviews with Dolly, family members and producers chart her road to fame, from the early years in Nashville to her own theme park Dollywood and her role as one of the most successful pioneering women in a male-dominated industry. With contributions by Lily Tomlin, Norah Jones, Jonathan Ross, Alison Krauss, Billy Connolly, Terry Wogan and Kenny Rogers

Friday on BBC2NI
    11.50pm: Later With Jools Holland
    Extended edition of Tuesday night's programme. Roxy Music frontman Bryan Ferry performs tracks from his forthcoming solo album Avonmore, former Free and Bad Company singer Paul Rodgers plays songs from his recent long-player The Royal Sessions, and Philadelphia indie rock outfit the War on Drugs showcase tunes from their third album Lost in a Dream. Plus, performances by south London rapper Fuse ODG, Swedish pop singer Seinabo Sey and Bath singer-songwriter Laura Doggett, and Jools chats to Pink Floyd's David Gilmour about the inspiration behind the band's much anticipated album The Endless River. Last in the series

Saturday on BBC4
    10.40pm TOTP 1979

12.10am Top Of The Pops: The Story of 1978
    Documentary about TOTP's changing musical direction in 1978, when pop singles were slowly ousted by disco, punk and new wave artists. The programme features contributions by members of the Boomtown Rats, Squeeze, Boney M and Sham 69 - among others - and archive performances by the likes of Elvis Costello, the Undertones, Ian Dury and the Blockheads and the Jam

1am Country at the BBC
    A compilation of BBC session performances by country artists from the past four decades, including Tammy Wynette, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Charley Pride, Kris Kristofferson, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss, Taylor Swift, kd lang and Billie Jo Spears

2am Lionel Richie - Dancing on the Ceiling
    Profile of the soul singer, who found fame in the 1970s as frontman of the Commodores. The programme looks at his departure from the band in 1982 and subsequent international success as a solo artist. With contributions by Kenny Rogers, Lemar, Motown songwriter and producer Gloria Jones and video director Bob Giraldi

Saturday on BBC2NI
    11.15pm TOTP2
    Mark Radcliffe introduces a selection of musical treasures from the Top of the Pops archive, including performances by KC and the Sunshine Band, Everything but the Girl, the Jam, Robert Palmer, Neneh Cherry, Jilted John and Lisa Hannigan

Monday on BBC4
    11pm: Pop Charts Britannia: 60 Years of the Top 10
    The evolution of feelings and attitudes towards the British singles chart. Documenting changes from the 1952 NME chart via Pick and Top of the Pops through to the Radio 1 chart show of today

12.30am: Ultimate Number 1s at the BBC
    A selection of chart-topping hits from the BBC archive, originally shown in 2012 to mark the 60th anniversary of the UK singles chart. Featuring tracks from the Bee Gees, T.Rex, Donna Summer, John Lennon, Culture Club, Spice Girls, James Blunt, Rihanna and Adele

Tuesday on BBC1NI
    11.05pm: Bette Midler: The Divine Miss M
    Alan Yentob meets Bette Midler in New York, almost five decades after she began her rise from nightclub act to Hollywood star. At the age of 20, the woman who would become known as `the Divine Miss M' went from working in a pineapple-canning factory in Honolulu, Hawaii, to a role in the 1967 Broadway hit Fiddler on the Roof, and has never looked back. She recalls those early days, as well as the nightclubs and bathhouses of the 1970s, and how she finally made it to the top of the film industry, the combination of a raucous wit and soulful voice making her an outrageous but captivating all-round entertainer

12.25am Bette Midler: The Showgirl must go on
    The Divine Miss M takes to the stage of the Colosseum theatre at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas for an all-singing, all-dancing revue recorded in 2010. The show features many of the singer's colourful characters and her most popular songs, including Wind Beneath My Wings, From a Distance, The Rose and Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

ITV on Monday
    9pm The Nations Favourite Queen Song
    The stories behind the legendary rock band's 20 greatest hits, as decided by the public. This 90-minute countdown, narrated by Matt Lucas, features in-depth interviews with Queen's Brian May and Roger Taylor, celebrity fans including Katy Perry, Tony Hadley, Tom Fletcher, Noddy Holder and Tony Iommi, and some of those who were closest to singer Freddie Mercury. From Bohemian Rhapsody to We Are the Champions, Don't Stop Me Now to We Will Rock You, there are almost too many classics to choose from, but which one will take the top spot?

The Lionel Richie programme reminds me that I saw a van belonging to the excellently named Lino Ritchie Carpet Company http://www.linoritchie.ie/index.php I do hope their voicemail message says "Hello, is it me you're looking for?" :)

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is on RTE1 on Friday at 11.55pm, worth waching just for the theme tune ...

• Advertisement

Nice one Skid. However, I can't help feeling that Lionel Richie doc should have taken up more of that post. :-D

G'wan Lionel. Easy like Sunday mornin'. Damn right.

(I know they repeat a lot on BBC 4, but country seems to get more than it's fair share all the same)

The Nation's Favourite Queen song had my attention, until I realised ITV were involved. *shudder*
    You would think not even they could make a bad show when the material is that strong, but I'm still angry from that crappy Paul & Ringo rubbish from a few months back.

Edit: did you just edit to add in the Lino Ritchie bit? I was gonna say that, it's one if the funniest things I've ever heard. :-D:-D:-D

Edit: did you just edit to add in the Lino Ritchie bit? I was gonna say that, it's one if the funniest things I've ever heard. :-D:-D:-D

Hee hee, ah no I put that in first time.

Also, if you are getting some tiling done be sure to check out Bonny Tyler ... http://www.irelandlookup.com/2643190/Tiling_Contractors/Dublin/Bonny_Tiler/

If you get a cowboy in to do your tiles, Every now and then it falls apart. But Bonny will sort you out.

I hope the people who came up with those names never got tired of hearing bad jokes!

Skid!

You're back!!....

We missed you!.............

I love the Bonnie "de tiler" jokes!....

She was on the LLS, I think Bonnie is a 60 packet a day girl at this stage!...

She looked mighty fine!! :)

Anyone having Jools for a bit? That last tune reminded me of Whigfield.

Not that one, the other less famous one.

Equal in quality, mind.

Anyone having Jools for a bit? That last tune reminded me of Whigfield.

Not that one, the other less famous one.

Equal in quality, mind.

Intriguing! I missed that last night. Must watch it again later.

The Nation's Favourite Queen song had my attention, until I realised ITV were involved. *shudder*

If you haven't seen it, there was a Documentary on BBC1 a few years ago called "Queen: Days of Our Lives" which I enjoyed. It's on the tube, it would make great Friday Night viewing if BBC Four would get their act together ...

Episode 4 of 'Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways' is up on the iPlayer - Austin, Texas.

My Sunday morning hangover viewing sorted :)

Here comes the weekend, that vintage Johnny Cash Doc might be worth a look. Also, there is a repeat of a profile of the Cream Bass player Jack Bruce, who passed away recently.

Thursday BBC Four
    7.30pm - Sounds of the 70s 2 New Wave - Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick
    Performances by new wave bands from the BBC archives, including Elvis Costello, the Police, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Squeeze, Blondie, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Cars, Patti Smith and Iggy Pop

12.30am Barry Manilow at the BBC
    Archive performances from throughout the singer-songwriter's career, featuring hits including Mandy, Copacabana and Could It Be Magic. The programme also features clips from Top of the Pops and Parkinson, as well as highlights of Manilow's 1983 open-air concert at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire

Thursday TG4
    11.40pm - Later With Jools Holland
    Marianne Faithfull performs songs from her album Easy Come/Easy Go, including covers of hits by the likes of Dolly Parton and Morrissey. Manchester-based indie-rock trio Doves showcase tracks from Kingdom of Rust, and Noisettes pay a visit to the studio to play tunes from their album Wild Young Hearts. Plus, performances by Madeleine Peyroux and Rokia Traore, and an interview with hip-hop pioneer Grandmaster Flash

Friday BBC Four
    9pm & Midnight - Johnny Cash The Man, His World, His Music
    Robert Elfstrom's 1969 musical documentary charting the career of Johnny Cash, and capturing `the Man in Black' at the peak of his career. The country singer is seen performing with his new bride June Carter Cash, as well as in a rare duet with Bob Dylan. The filmmaker also presents a behind-the-scenes look at the influential American musician as he interacts with friends, family, and aspiring young musicians

10pm & 1.40am - Bob Harris: My Nashville
    Bob Harris explores America's country music capital, and reveals why Nashville became `Music City USA'. He charts the genre's Grand Ole Opry beginnings, through to the threatening onset of rock 'n' roll, to its modern mainstream hits. The presenter also visits the east of the city, where he discovers a rebellious flip-side to the genre, and explains why a nurturing community of songwriters is responsible for country music's enduring success. Featuring interviews with Rosanne Cash, Emmylou Harris, Duane Eddy and Dave Stewart, as well as performances by local acts

11pm & 2.40am - Brad Paisley and Friends
    Brad Paisley performs stripped-back acoustic versions of his hits at the BBC's Radio Theatre. The country star tells the stories behind the songs, reflects on what makes a good singer-songwriter, and unveils a questionable English accent

Friday BBC2NI (probably different times on HD/other regions)
    11.40pm - Later with Jools Holland Legends
    Jools looks back at some of the appearances by influential acts on his music show over the past decade, including performances by Grace Jones, the Specials, Carole King, Bobby Womack, Randy Newman, Eartha Kitt and the Beach Boys among many more

Saturday BBC Four
    12.25am - Guitar Heroes at the BBC
    Archive performances by celebrated musicians Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, Peter Green and Johnny Winter. Other artists featured include Manitas de Plata, Ry Cooder, Thin Lizzy and AC/DC, while Fleetwood Mac's Albatross and In the City by the Jam are among the classic songs seen again in clips from the BBC's 1970s music shows

1.25am - Deep Purple Made In Japan
    Documentary celebrating Deep Purple's double album Made in Japan and going behind the scenes to find out why it has been ranked the sixth best live album of all time. Featuring footage of the rockers during their `mark two' line-up between 1969 and 1973 and charting the friction and incessant touring the band experienced amid recording the 1972 release Machine Head in Montreux, Switzerland. The film also explores the meaning behind the song Smoke on the Water, while revealing the background to the mystery that lies behind the three nights in Osaka and Tokyo on the heavy metal act's first Japanese tour

2.25am - Sounds of The Eighties
    Showcasing a selection of musical performances from the BBC archives, featuring ZZ Top, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, INXS, the Cult, the Mission and Motorhead

Saturday BBC2NI
    11.15pm TOTP2
    Presenter Mark Radcliffe delves into the Top of the Pops archive and introduces more musical treasures, including performances by pop group Fine Young Cannibals, rock band Badfinger, hip-hop duo Kriss Kross and singers Elvis Costello, Luisa Sobral and Cyndi Lauper

Sunday BBC Four
    10pm Pop Go The Sixties
    Classic archive moments from the 1960s, including music by the Who, the Tremeloes, the Kinks and the Shadows

Monday BBC Four
    Jack Bruce - The Man Behind the Bass
    To mark the death last month of the former Cream bassist and vocalist, another chance to see this 2012 profile exploring his life from childhood in Lanarkshire to global stardom. Six specially chosen tracks mark crucial moments in the life of Jack Bruce, all of which he re-recorded with the help of Scottish artists, including folk trio Lau, percussionist Jim Sutherland and keyboard player Andy May. Featuring contributions by former bandmates Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, U2's Adam Clayton and the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea. Narrated by Edith Bowman

And that's how it looks this weekend(ish). Michael Collins is on most BBC2 regions on Saturday Night at 12.45am, but not on BBC2 NI. Boo.

I'm in for Saturday night!! :)

• Advertisement

Badfinger - great song :)

Band suffered a lot of tragedy though :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement