Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental with BER rating under D banned from 2020?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Cilar wrote: »
    just stumbled upon this http://blogs.myhome.ie/2011/11/28/landlords-could-face-rent-ban-if-energy-efficiency-standards-arent-met/

I caanot find any reference since then, is it anywhere realistic considering the number of modern apartments with electric heating and thus rating below D?
    that's crazy. Where is the housing supply going to come from if house with BER over d are banned from rental market. Rental prices are currently at highest level in long time due to lack of supply. Minimum standards fair enough but this would be a step too far.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,605 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This is already under way in some Local authorities. If you read it closely you will see it refers to properties where local authorities pay rental supplement our rental allowance. These local authorities have the power to accept properties as being of a certain standard.

Only right in my opinion.

Edit: this is actually old news. At least a year old.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes, its been knocking around for a while.
    To be honest- given how arbitrary the BER rating is- aka changing a few lightbulbs may improve your BER- its not a particularly good yardstick to use.

Given that SEI are going to be winding up grants shortly (according to media reports)- it'll simply make it all the harder for people to retrofit their pre-2006 homes to comply with new regulations.

Lets keep our powder dry and see what happens- 2020 is two elections away after all..........

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Yes, its been knocking around for a while.
    To be honest- given how arbitrary the BER rating is- aka changing a few lightbulbs may improve your BER- its not a particularly good yardstick to use.

Given that SEI are going to be winding up grants shortly (according to media reports)- it'll simply make it all the harder for people to retrofit their pre-2006 homes to comply with new regulations.

Lets keep our powder dry and see what happens- 2020 is two elections away after all..........

How does one qualify for a grant. I have a new build that needs upgrading lol

newbie2013 wrote: »
    How does one qualify for a grant. I have a new build that needs upgrading lol

Google better energy homes scheme.

If I recall correctly the house must have built prior to 2005 I think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sydthebeat wrote: »

2006 actually- aka there is a presumption that any builds post 2006 actually complied with the building codes as were then in force (the theory is the code prior to 2006, allowed the construction of dwellings and the use of insulation and heating, that is subpar vis-a-vis the current code.

Further- boilers and heating control units- are expensive, and have a finite lifespan. Anything installed post 2006, should still be fine- god only knows about pre-06. As for me personally- my boiler and heating unit are 1995 and 2003 (respectively).

Have to find out- is it more lucrative to get the heating controls upgraded as a separate job- rather than as part of a boiler upgrade/replacement........ Draw down two separate grants? Hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

I'm not finding anything since that sentence from that minister in 2011 in Ireland. In the UK, they plan to set a minimum rating of E (E would still be legal) by 2018 through the Green Deal. But the Green Deal essentially allow to get insulation/heating upgrades for free, etc - there is no such scheme in Ireland (current grants are far less generous and winding up in 2014). Also the energy rating in the UK seems a bit different than in Ireland where electricity is much more penalized. Not sure this will ever be applied in Ireland, at least not with a review of the way the BER rating is calculated and grant scheme introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Cilar wrote: »
    I'm not finding anything since that sentence from that minister in 2011 in Ireland. In the UK, they plan to set a minimum rating of E (E would still be legal) by 2018 through the Green Deal. But the Green Deal essentially allow to get insulation/heating upgrades for free, etc - there is no such scheme in Ireland (current grants are far less generous and winding up in 2014). Also the energy rating in the UK seems a bit different than in Ireland where electricity is much more penalized. Not sure this will ever be applied in Ireland, at least not with a review of the way the BER rating is calculated and grant scheme introduced.
    Are you sure on that? I though the councils in the UK were going to upgrade their property so free to council tenants but privately owned property you could get a grant but it wasn't free. The scheme I heard for the UK sounded identical to the Irish one. The grant system here worked out very well for me. I recommended it to all LL as it was so good at the start.

planning permission approved on 2004 house finished 2006/2007. Is the grant a full grant or only half the amount or a % of it for an upgrade. TBH, im just looking a freebie upgrade lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

newbie2013 wrote: »
    planning permission approved on 2004 house finished 2006/2007. Is the grant a full grant or only half the amount or a % of it for an upgrade. TBH, im just looking a freebie upgrade lol

It is now a % amount dependent on how much it costs with an upper limit. It certainly isn't a full grant and the max on external insulation is €4000 and then lower values for other insulation. The SEAI website has all the details. New boiler has a separate grant.

It makes it cheaper not free.

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »

It makes it cheaper not free.

:mad:

It would probably work out cheaper for me if i just bought all the stuff and done all the work instead of paying someone to come in and do it along with this grant because they would also be paying tax on top of the labour which will make the bill more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

In my experience the BER system is a sham.

I stayed in a 700 sq foot apartment until recently. It was D2 rated, yet it was heated by apartments below, hand only one south facing wall, the other walls were internal and heated by adjacent apartments and a common corridor.

That left the attic which had 200mm of insulation, and above the insulation it was floored.

It was as warm as toast. Yet a D2 rating ment it should have been costing thousands or euro to heat and illuminate a year. A total sham. 700 sq foot is approximately 64m2. Therefore the assessor estimated that the apt should be using more than 260 kW.hr but less than 300 kW.hr per sq meter for standard occupancy I.e two people.

That would be 64x260 = 16722 Kwhr per year, which if the apartment was electric only would be an annual elec bill of 2759 euro per year or a bill of 229 euro per month!!,!!

Talk about way way way out!

If you really want a BER rating, an actual real figure, get the floor area certificate, and tally up the gas meter reading, electricity meter reading and then work out the average energy per year.

I have no faith or trust in this BER system, it a sham, set up by the Govt to extort more money from households.

ABC101 wrote: »
    In my experience the BER system is a sham.

I stayed in a 700 sq foot apartment until recently. It was D2 rated, yet it was heated by apartments below, hand only one south facing wall, the other walls were internal and heated by adjacent apartments and a common corridor.

That left the attic which had 200mm of insulation, and above the insulation it was floored.

It was as warm as toast. Yet a D2 rating ment it should have been costing thousands or euro to heat and illuminate a year. A total sham. 700 sq foot is approximately 64m2. Therefore the assessor estimated that the apt should be using more than 260 kW.hr but less than 300 kW.hr per sq meter for standard occupancy I.e two people.

That would be 64x260 = 16722 Kwhr per year, which if the apartment was electric only would be an annual elec bill of 2759 euro per year or a bill of 229 euro per month!!,!!

Talk about way way way out!

If you really want a BER rating, an actual real figure, get the floor area certificate, and tally up the gas meter reading, electricity meter reading and then work out the average energy per year.

I have no faith or trust in this BER system, it a sham, set up by the Govt to extort more money from households.

The ber system is not not ever was designed to give an accurate read on the costs of energy of a dwelling

It is a means of rating to compare like with like, that's all. It makes way too many assumptions to be considered in anyway accurate measure of actual usage.

I don't know why you would think otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....It is a means of rating to compare like with like, ....

Its comparing one guess with another guess.

Why do anything which is not accurate, or meaningless?

Why give a rating in Kwhr/m2/ year which is inaccurate? Yet the result is specified in S.I units.

Why charge the home owner 200 odd euro per year for a meaningless figure so that it can be compared with another meaningless inaccurate figure of another property? Or several other inaccurate figures from several other properties.

Every building has a floor area certificate, a electricity meter and sometimes a gas meter. In addition many energy companies ie ESB, bord Gais etc record the meter readings frequently, one can even log on to a energy account and see the energy usage over the last 12 months.

All a assessor requires is, floor area certificate, age of property ie 8 years and meter readings for gas + electricity and number of people living there etc

A far more accurate method.......

• Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ber system is not not ever was designed to give an accurate read on the costs of energy of a dwelling

Its not designed to be accurate - end of. It does not compare like with like. I'm absolutely certain that I'd get a higher BER now than was done on sale because, unlike the EA, I actually know how the house is set up and can answer the questions. Zero substantive changes done.

At this stage I suspect the BER system is nothing other than a non-state funded employment scheme.

Granted, no BER system is going to give a highly accurate result to nineteen decimal places. I don't expect that, and it would be unfair and unrealistic to expect this level of accuracy across all households / buildings.

However at the other end of the spectrum if the BER result is to so far off the mark as to be on the verge of fudge and comparing guesses of widely inaccurate figures, then it's a sham. It's not worth the paper it's written on, and certainly not worth paying any amount of money for.

Energy assessors should double check their results from the computer program to see if it tallies within a reasonable level to the actual real world figures.

Otherwise it's meaningless.

Advertisement