Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BT win champions league rights up to 2021

• 09-11-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭

And UEFA cup rights too.

£900 million over 3 seasons.

BYnxu8-CEAEuxG-.jpg:large

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Exclusive live rights? Well that's the ITV lads out of a gig so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

P_1 wrote: »

Lucky O'Neill & Keane got other jobs this week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

AFAIK part of the deal is that some games have to be fta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not good news for the fan though, yet another subscription to be having to take out. BT are making a serious dent in Sky's market share though, first the European rugby, now this. When are the EPL rights up again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

So come 2015 i bet for people that don't subscribe to BT broadband in the UK and obviously here because we cant get it the price will go up.

It will be the same price as sky sports come then, maybe 1 or 2 below, but i'll bet up about 15 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Not good news for the fan though, yet another subscription to be having to take out. BT are making a serious dent in Sky's market share though, first the European rugby, now this. When are the EPL rights up again?

Exactly and BT Sport are only in existence because of the EU laws brought in for "the football fan" how a company cannot hold a monopoly over a sport. Now watching football on tv is more expensive than ever and we have not seen any improvement in coverage for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Lucky O'Neill & Keane got other jobs this week :D

At least one of those will be gone by the time 2015 comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Doesn't affect Rte/Tv3 does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

How come the date of that Press Release is 11 Nov 2013?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

What a nightmare it will be to watch football in a few years. 4 or 5 different subscriptions needed.

Please someone give me a legit streaming service like they have in the states. We are not the uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

jonny666 wrote: »
    What a nightmare it will be to watch football in a few years. 4 or 5 different subscriptions needed.

Please someone give me a legit streaming service like they have in the states. We are not the uk
    Exactly, so it won't affect our terrestrial broadcasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

SKY in classic "well they paid far too much for the rights" response, well of course they did, BT Sport really wanted them so they had to really. Presumably RTE/TV3 will negotiate as per usual though not sure TV3 will be around in 2015 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

If anything this can only be a good thing for rte/tv3 provided they can negotiate with BT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Will BT have some sort of interactive service to show all the games each night like Sky do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭kn

Fowler87 wrote: »
    If anything this can only be a good thing for rte/tv3 provided they can negotiate with BT

Presumably Sky and Setanta will be bidding for the Irish rights. It was only the UK rights that BT bought. There seems to be a change in the rules from UEFA whereas previously at least one game a night had to be on free to air that requirement seems to be gone now. RTE certainly will not be outbidding Sky/Setanta.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

BT didn't win the rights for Ireland. RTE and TV3 negotiate them directly with UEFA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

I think this deal only replaces the sky part in the current uk the packages that tv3 and rte have are different imo

uefa will sell a simular package to every country and currently there are tuesday and wed deals in each country

rights for everygame means mostly rights to show x live and highlights of the rest as sky / itv have in uk and rte and tv3 here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

kn wrote: »
    Presumably Sky and Setanta will be bidding for the Irish rights. It was only the UK rights that BT bought. There seems to be a change in the rules from UEFA whereas previously at least one game a night had to be on free to air that requirement seems to be gone now. RTE certainly will not be outbidding Sky/Setanta.

BT say that the will show some games free to air and the final will be free to air to get around that rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They are heading towards a tipping point when it will simply get too expensive for the fan to watch televised matches.

Shooting themselves in the foot in the long run (BT Sport, Sky etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

BT say that the will show some games free to air and the final will be free to air to get around that rule.

Basel v Steau Bucharest and the like I suppose?

EDIT - just read they'll show each British team once.

• Advertisement

Exactly, so it won't affect our terrestrial broadcasters.

It will force me to watch tv3 :eek:

i was talking more about PL games really. A streaming service like they have in the states would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

jonny666 wrote: »
    Still only 15 quid into your local ground.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Still only 15 quid into your local ground.

Should have said proper football :D

see ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

NIMAN wrote: »
    They are heading towards a tipping point when it will simply get too expensive for the fan to watch televised matches.

Shooting themselves in the foot in the long run (BT Sport, Sky etc).

Think the commitment is each British team FOR once per season plus the final. Going by the usual $ky definition of free, you will probably still need some sort of subscription.

As well as $ky and B£ shooting themselves in the foot, what are USA doing long term. I'd image all the big sponsors would like to have a casual FTA audience on the likes of I TV, as well as young kids not seeing football regularly (someone think of the childeren:) ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

No chance of Sky bidding for the Irish rights alone. They aren't going to show Champions League games on one of their channels and scramble them for UK viewers.

BT/Setanta are in poll position to mop up the Irish rights now, with very little serious competition.

Are $ky still getting CL football after this deal, or is it just BT and FTA?

Are Sky still getting CL football after this deal, or is it just BT and FTA?

BT have it all for the UK so that rules Sky & ITV out & whatever RTE/TV3 can get for here.

BTW,there's something wrong with your S key.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

In my opinion, it would be a complete disaster if RTE/TV3 cant get the Irish TV Rights. Its a disaster for the sport in my opinion that Champions League is not being shown anymore on freeview TV. Come on RTE/Tv3, time to get the wallets out. It would also be very unfair if Sky were to just steal in and take the Irish TV rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Incredibly significant. No point pretending otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Delighted for Sky. Can't wait for Al Jazeera to take the EPL now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

BT can make a channel free to view on a night to show a game to get around that

The Foreign Satellite forum is gonna be very busy in 2015 as people seek alternatives other than dodgy streams.

TBF,Sky set the bar for sports coverage & their CL coverage is second to none with the match choice options being top notch.It remains to be seen how BT can emulate this.

On a lighter note,God help us having to watch in Lego-vision with crap commentary on TV3 if we decide not to subscribe to BT:(

Oat23 wrote: »

They won't.

zerks wrote: »

On a lighter note,God help us having to watch in Lego-vision with crap commentary on TV3 if we decide not to subscribe to BT:(

My own suspicion that that UTV Ireland will bid for a night, after all they are not part of the ITV network :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Oat23 wrote: »

What's the likelihood of that? I hope they do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Will the games be blocked in Ireland like the europa league games are*

*not that I watch them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Red Crow wrote: »
    What's the likelihood of that? I hope they do.

No idea but it would be fun if they took even a piece of it next time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

GTR63 wrote: »
    Will the games be blocked in Ireland like the europa league games are*

*not that I watch them

if BT don't buy the rights they'll be

Re: CL coverage, why is it whenever I watch it on $ky or RTE2 or ITV my picture quality on my Sony Bravia is excellent.

Switch over to TV3 coverage and everyone is a shocking orange colour, their hair colour looks unnatural and they all look really rough, and it looks like the brightness on my telly is turned up to 100%!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Re: CL coverage, why is it whenever I watch it on $ky or RTE2 or ITV my picture quality on my Sony Bravia is excellent.

Switch over to TV3 coverage and everyone is a shocking orange colour, their hair colour looks unnatural and they all look really rough, and it looks like the brightness on my telly is turned up to 100%!

TV3 ain`t in HD i`d guess :confused:

• Advertisement

TV3 has the worst PQ on Saorview and its SD of course as they refuse to pay the carriage for HD. Their PQ on UPC is not brilliant either but that could be the cable company knowing them.

mike65 wrote: »
    TV3 has the worst PQ on Saorview and its SD of course as they refuse to pay the carriage for HD. Their PQ on UPC is not brilliant either but that could be the cable company knowing them.

3e is even worse,I'd love to know what the bitrate on it is.

AFAIK Al Jazeera pulled out of bidding for EPL due to problems with a third party controlling the rights for the Middle East.Sky & BT have the rights tied up for another few seasons so any talk of that premature.

As it stands with BT,we get a better deal here than those in the UK,who don't get Setanta as part of the package.What I can see if RTE/TV3 retain the rights,a lot of soccer fans in the UK will be taking out Irish subs just as pubs abroad do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    In my opinion, it would be a complete disaster if RTE/TV3 cant get the Irish TV Rights. Its a disaster for the sport in my opinion that Champions League is not being shown anymore on freeview TV. Come on RTE/Tv3, time to get the wallets out. It would also be very unfair if Sky were to just steal in and take the Irish TV rights.

Sky aren't going to go rolling out Neville, Tyler and Redknapp and set up the whole thing just so they can show the games to 200k viewers in Ireland. That's nonsense. Rte and tv3/new irish itv channel will get the rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sky wont bid for the Irish rights if they lost the British rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I could see BT offering the multiscreen match choice exclusively to their Broadband customers if they can get away with it.
    Seeing as BT Sport and Setanta have this package deal going on over here would that affect what matches the latter can show should rights remain unchanged in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Sky aren't going to go rolling out Neville, Tyler and Redknapp and set up the whole thing just so they can show the games to 200k viewers in Ireland. That's nonsense. Rte and tv3/new irish itv channel will get the rights.

I'd agree about Sky not being a likely Ireland-only broadcaster for the CL, but BT/Setanta could easily hoover up the Irish rights too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭kn

BT can make a channel free to view on a night to show a game to get around that

They would need to get on the Saorview platform do to that. It can't be done overnight as you can see with UTV who are applying for a licence circa 14 months ahead of when they want to commence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They would need to get on the Saorview platform do to that. It can't be done overnight as you can see with UTV who are applying for a licence circa 14 months ahead of when they want to commence.

they've no need to be on saorview

if BT want them they'll take them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Exactly and BT Sport are only in existence because of the EU laws brought in for "the football fan" how a company cannot hold a monopoly over a sport. Now watching football on tv is more expensive than ever and we have not seen any improvement in coverage for years.

And they will be the sole provider (monopoly) of European football in the UK, yes they will make some of it FTA including the final but that is besides the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Rte and tv3/new irish itv channel will get the rights.

Or BT takes all of the Irish rights too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement