Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BT win champions league rights up to 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Hope they get Michael Owen to commentate on the champions league games - he can tell us about the time he wo.... Oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hope they get Michael Owen to commentate on the champions league games - he can tell us about the time he wo.... Oh.
    It's a good job it's not a requirement to win whatever you're commentating on so :rolleyes:

If it was he's got plenty of EPL to cover anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just heard about this. Unsurprisingly I didn't see it on Sky Sports News.

This is a huge coup for BT Sport. Didn't see this coming.

Right pain in the arse for people who don't have much technical know-how, and for people who know people with no technical know-how :P By 2015 it likely will be worth a down-payment for a middle-eastern satelite set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sky relocating to Ireland with Giles, Brady and Dunphy on the panel with the gadgets

Dunphy: "where's the guile button on the fecking thing"

I may be missing something but if Sky bought the rights to the Irish ones and bought an office somewhere here could they not just sell subscriptions to the British people anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Right pain in the arse for people who don't have much technical know-how, and for people who know people with no technical know-how By 2015 it likely will be worth a down-payment for a middle-eastern satelite set-up.

IPTV is the future and it should be cheaper in 18 months time. You won't need to put up a 2m dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I may be missing something but if Sky bought the rights to the Irish ones and bought an office somewhere here could they not just sell subscriptions to the British people anyway?

Not in a million years. BT would sue their arse off before a single game was Broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I would love to know how many subscribers BT Sport currently have and hope to have by 2015.

It reminds me how Setanta UK operated in the beginning and we all know how that business plan unravelled..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

batistuta9 wrote: »
    they've no need to be on saorview

if BT want them they'll take them

No they don't as they just have UK rights not Irish rights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Do you know what? F*ck soccer. Its coming to stage that if you want to see any of it you will have to open your pockets. Overpaid overrated rubbish.

Its gotten far too greedy and soulless and this is another nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I would love to know how many subscribers BT Sport currently have and hope to have by 2015.

It reminds me how Setanta UK operated in the beginning and we all know how that business plan unravelled..

The big difference is that Setanta UK was a standalone business - BT are trying to consolidate their Broadband business by giving top level Sport free to their Broadband subscribers.

BT have huge cash reserves and can afford to pay top dollar for the Premium Sports Rights, it's a strategic business move for them. Setanta never had that luxury, ultimately they died because they didn't attract enough subscribers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Though exactly the same myself watching some of the ads they have on their own station

Pumping up fairly average stuff like the Conference, SPPL (or whatever it's called now) and English club rugby

It was exactly like Setanta UK was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

According to them, they have more than two million customers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24754036

Oat23 wrote: »
    IPTV is the future and it should be cheaper in 18 months time. You won't need to put up a 2m dish.

It's still too far away for a lot of people, especially where UPC isn't available. It's fine for some people, but for people with no technical know-how which is easier?
    1) Set up a satelite dish for them, have them pay the subscription
    2) Set up a VPN and online sub for them, set up some kind of set-top box, explain that they'll need to restart the modem at times, explain they can't download at the same time. Explain they might have to use the computer at the same time. All assuming the connection is better than anything I've ever been able to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I can't wait to watch Viktoria Plzen vs Steaua Bucharest for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

BT have paid way over the odds for the rights.
    Its an increase of 125% on the previous 3 years ,nuts .
    They seem to be following the same reckless tactics of ITV Digital and Setanta .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They seem to be following the same reckless tactics of ITV Digital and Setanta .

I hope they crash and burn. People thought competition would be a good thing, including myself, but it looks like it's going to end up costing people more money. Sky aren't going to drop their prices and BT/Setanta are going to increase theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

J. Marston wrote: »
    I hope they crash and burn. People thought competition would be a good thing, including myself, but it looks like it's going to end up costing people more money. Sky aren't going to drop their prices and BT/Setanta are going to increase theirs.

So it's their fault that Sky will keep their overpriced sports pack at the same price despite saving €300m per year from not having CL football?

No. That is Sky being robbing bas*ards like always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So it's their fault that Sky will keep their overpriced sports pack at the same price despite saving €300m per year from not having CL football?

we will still stream games yeah? for those who cant see :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ideally they'd both crash and burn and all the football would be free but that's not going to happen so I'd rather stick with the devil I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

J. Marston wrote: »

would you not hope it's sky that fail/lose out

now it costs €62 for sky & €20 for BT/setanta

even if they BT got the PL rights sky have next time as well, i doubt they'll increase the price by €42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They seem to be following the same reckless tactics of ITV Digital and Setanta.

The previous deal is fairly irrelevant - makes more sense to compare it to BSkyB's bid this time, and it seems BT bid just somewhere between 15% and 25% more than Sky depending on which report you believe. So if they've overpaid its definitely not close to a 125% overpayment.

Churning some boring maths you could argue they've got a reasonable deal. They currently pay £6.5M per EPL game with an obligation to show some unattractive fixtures. Whereas with the UEFA deal the very worst figure to come up with is £10.5M per game for 29 premium games on a basic 2 games per gameweek calculation (+ the final). Add in all the 5pm Russia Kickoffs, + the Europa games, + the Barca v Bayern and PSG v Juve type games that won't be first choice because an English team is playing that night.

It's not cheap by any means but its not 'reckless'.

Let's pay twice for it then, each package just below what Sky currently charge. Excellent for the consumer. If the consumer is retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

KevIRL wrote: »
    Will BT have some sort of interactive service to show all the games each night like Sky do

With Viasat in Sweden all the CL games are on live on a viasat subscription. roughly 3 are live on regular viasat sports channels that broadcast other programs and the rest are on channels that only show the matches live and are not on air for the rest of the weeks schedule.

Not sure how it works with the FTA game here but its not shown on viasats own sports channels going FTA for the duration of the game but rather i think they have a partnership with one of the regular FTA channels tv4 or tv6 I think and its shown there.

Maybe BT will go a different route though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hopefully it'll crash and burn so no games will be broadcast live at all, then you can all come watch LOI

*runs from thread* :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

$ky have been paying way above the odds for years too.

Their last EPL deal was scandalous, but then if people want to continue paying constantly increasing subscription prices, that's up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

jonny666 wrote: »

Please someone give me a legit streaming service like they have in the states. We are not the uk
    jonny666 wrote: »
    Should have said proper football :D

see ya

We aren't the UK, but proper football is watching their teams on TV???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I can't wait to watch Viktoria Plzen vs Steaua Bucharest for free.

If you were a football hispter you'd be thrilled at this tie for its continental qualities. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That is how sky dominated the market paying over the odds.

Only thing about BT compared to Setanta and ITV Digital is BT have much deeper pockets than them and sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

BT Sport unveils Gary Lineker as face of Champions League coverage

• Match of the Day presenter to anchor channel’s coverage next season
    • Steven Gerrard, José Mourinho and Rio Ferdinand named as pundits

wrote:

BT Sport will broadcast all 351 Champions League and Europa League matches next season.

It will make some matches available for everyone to watch, whether a subscriber or not, via a new free-to-air channel called BT Sport Showcase.

BT Sport has announced that Gary Lineker will anchor its coverage of the Champions League this season alongside current presenter Jake Humphrey.

The former England striker and Match of the Day presenter was unveiled as the channel’s new face of European football at a press conference in east London on Tuesday, while Steven Gerrard, the Chelsea manager José Mourinho and the former England captain Rio Ferdinand will be regular pundits.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/09/bt-sport-gary-lineker-champions-league

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33062532

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Gary Lineker? FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

They must be adding a "red button" style thing so I guess.

Blatter wrote: »
    Gary Lineker? FFS.

I cant stand him ,would have been no harm if the BBC had gotten rid of him completely and given the job to Mark Chapman ,who is an excellent presenter.

As for BT's other additions ,Gerrard and Ferdinand ,BT really are aiming their coverage at the lowest common denominator of intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's not the first time Gary Lineker has hosted Champions League coverage. He used to do it for Al Jazeera Sport a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's mad BT probably have the best panel of pundits of any station on these islands with The European Football Show and it looks like they won't use them because the aren't A list enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's mad BT probably have the best panel of pundits of any station on these islands with The European Football Show and it looks like they won't use them because the aren't A list enough.
    James Richardson is without equal, Football Italia was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Does that mean less Jamie Redknapp and Niall Quinn on Tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭obriendj

James Richardson is without equal, Football Italia was amazing.

It is beyond belief why BT would get Lineker in while they have James Richardson. - ACJimbo will be put on the graveyard shift and not front the live games I suspect.

Do TV3 and setanta still have games on Tuesdays?

James Richardson doing the goals show is insulting. There is nobody better than him on UK television when it comes to presenting European football.

• Advertisement

obriendj wrote: »
    Do TV3 and setanta still have games on Tuesdays?

Yes. RTÉ also will show a Wednesday game.

I'll stick with Dunphy and Giles thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Does that mean less Jamie Redknapp and Niall Quinn on Tv?

Less Jaime but more Arry he signed on with BT now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'll stick with Dunphy and Giles thanks

Yeah, delighted our rights are packaged separately. Never watched ITV's coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

gimmick wrote: »
    They must be adding a "red button" style thing so I guess.

A new channel is not? I think they're testing 2 new channels at the minute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    A new channel is not? I think they're testing 2 new channels at the minute.

They have a new channel BT Sport Europe showing these games, but as they can't show them all on the same channel they'll have red button coverage like Sky did. They're also launching an Ultra HD channel. http://sport.bt.com/sport-football/news/bt-sport-reveals-champions-league-plans-S11363984692816

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Is there any news on a price increase for BT package? Or will that be a lovely September surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Unearthly wrote: »
    Is there any news on a price increase for BT package? Or will that be a lovely September surprise

£5 a month for Champions League coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Paully D wrote: »

Probably converts to €10 with the specially configured Sky currency translator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Is it still tv3 on tuesday and rte on wednesday for irish coverage would love if rte got both nights so i could avoid having to get bt.

I just dont like there coverage and this just means more owen, savage and ian darke id have to listen too which is a horrific thought. They make me miss niall quinn or jamie redknapp when i listen to them.

Paully D wrote: »

There is no extra charge for tv customers in the uk ,the £5 charge is for existing broadband customers only
    BT TV customers will be able to receive the full BT Sport Pack for free – comprising BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2, ESPN on BT Sport and the new BT Sport Europe channel, which launches on August 1 as the new home of top European football.

BT Broadband customers who choose to watch on their Sky service, via the BT Sport App or on BT Mobile, will be able to add the BT Sport Pack for a small charge of £5 a month.

Setanta might increase the price over here though

• Advertisement
Advertisement