Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BT win champions league rights up to 2021

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

BT will have a new European channel for Champions League which will cost £5 a month and then their normal BT Sport channel(s) will cost £10 a month. You'll be able to subscribe to one or the other, or both.

That'll be for Sky customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No announcement on how Setanta will charge for them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Paully D wrote: »
    BT will have a new European channel for Champions League which will cost £5 a month and then their normal BT Sport channel(s) will cost £10 a month. You'll be able to subscribe to one or the other, or both.

That'll be for Sky customers.

Hold on now, it will be possible to subscribe to a BT channel, jsut for CL, for €7 give or take a month?

I'm so confused over this, will Sky have NO Champions league next season to show?

Sky sports package costs like €36 a month on top of my current bill, and BT sports is something similar.

sub 10 euro to get BT's CL coverage, I'd be all over that. (I'm on Sky) but if I need to go into some big mad bundle at 35+ I'll continue watching via streams/RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

http://www.setanta.com/ie/bt-sport-europe-to-join-the-setanta-sports-pack/
    Setanta Sports has confirmed that the new home for European football, BT Sport Europe, will be available to viewers in the Republic of Ireland as part of the Setanta Sports pack.

From the 2015/16 season, BT Sport will be the home of the Champions League and Europa League and subscribers of the Setanta Sports pack will be able to see all the live televised games from the competition.

BT Sport Europe will become the sixth channel on the Setanta Sports pack when it begins broadcasting in August and, with the rights to all 350 games per season, viewers will not have to miss a minute of the action.

“We are delighted to see this investment by BT Sport in this additional channel,” Brian Quinn, Marketing Operations Director at Setanta Sports said.

“To have every Champions League and Europa League game on one channel is great for our customers and BT Sport have ensured that the new channel, BT Sport Europe, has a great presentation team.

“It brings to six the number of channels in the Setanta pack and it means the new season will be our strongest yet making Setanta a must-have for football fans here.”

BT Sport has also confirmed the capture of former England international Gary Lineker to front its coverage of the Champions League.

Lineker will be accompanied in fronting BT’s coverage by Jake Humphrey and Rio Ferdinand, while Steven Gerrard, Harry Redknapp, Glenn Hoddle and Howard Webb will join the existing BT Sport team, which already includes Paul Scholes, Michael Owen, Steve McManaman and Owen Hargreaves.

says nothing about the Price so I would think it should stay the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

TheDoc wrote: »
    Hold on now, it will be possible to subscribe to a BT channel, jsut for CL, for €7 give or take a month?

I'm so confused over this, will Sky have NO Champions league next season to show?

Sky sports package costs like €36 a month on top of my current bill, and BT sports is something similar.

sub 10 euro to get BT's CL coverage, I'd be all over that. (I'm on Sky) but if I need to go into some big mad bundle at 35+ I'll continue watching via streams/RTE

don't mind that, it's all arseways.

will Sky have NO Champions league next season to show? yes, you're right

In ireland you get BT sport through Setanta, there's no picking and choosing in ireland.

the subs were €21 but for june & july you can subscribe for 9.99 for 2 months. setanta usually offer discounts to retain you as customer as well.

setanta haven't announced yet if/what the increase will be regards the new channel being added

Ah right, no interest there, last time I checked Setanta pricing on Sky it was €35 a month.

Might check fixture list and if they get a good load of United games might be worth getting in.

That's also a massive blow for Sky Sports. They have been onto me offering Sports to my package for €18 quid (half price or something) but no way I would be interested in that without Champions league.

How did they let that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Ah right, no interest there, last time I checked Setanta pricing on Sky it was €35 a month.

Might check fixture list and if they get a good load of United games might be worth getting in.

That's also a massive blow for Sky Sports. They have been onto me offering Sports to my package for €18 quid (half price or something) but no way I would be interested in that without Champions league.

€21 is the dearest it's been. they are always offering deals to keep you, so you'd likely never pay full wack. it's a decent enough offering i think, loads of european football on it & american sports, ufc (HD channels are included in the price too)

if you're only interested in football from sky, see if they'll give s.sports 1 on it's own, that's where all the PL is shown & you'll get s.sports 5 as a bonus channel for free, where the rest of the football is on

must have underestimated them a bit at the time or BT just went big with the bid, i can't remember it exactly.
    but in the last bidding for the PL rights, sky forked out a lot to keep what the had - way more that people were estimating.
    BT getting involved in sport is really all about broadband/phone customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Companies bid for the rights. BT just blew Sky and ITV out of the water with their bid.
    BT Sport has picked up the rights to broadcast all UEFA Champions League games for the next three years in a deal worth £900 million.
    ITV is thought to have offered around £190 million with Sky upping its offer to £500 million. The combined bid would have been well short of what BT was prepared to pay with its bid of £299 million a year.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I have the Setanta pack until November sometime I think for 99 for 12 months, and it looks like this will be included, so hopefully it is. Another 99 for the year deal around then would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

If Sky lost the La Liga coverage I'd drop their service in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5starpool wrote: »
    I have the Setanta pack until November sometime I think for 99 for 12 months, and it looks like this will be included, so hopefully it is. Another 99 for the year deal around then would be nice.

I'm on the same deal and before that had never paid more than €9.99 a month for the Setanta pack.

I do think it will go up but Setanta will always do deals to keep subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Over the last few years Sky have suffered:

- a reduction of EPL games;
    - a loss of 50% of Heineken Cup games;
    - a loss of all CL games;
    - loss of domestic English Rugby Union;
    - a loss of some NFL slots;

With no consequent reduction in subs.

All of this is bad for the end customer. Ultimately I don't care who wins out between Sky and BT long term, but I hope that one player can put the other out of business.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

All of this is bad for the end customer. Ultimately I don't care who wins out between Sky and BT long term, but I hope that one player can put the other out of business.
    they have nore PL games than ever with there new deal but they are losing alot. Yeah I hope either BT or Sky go bust leaving it to one of them.

Sky are increasing their prices if anything. Non sports anyway.

Would be nice to see one or both of them struggle alright even go down the swanny. Customers and match going fans ultimately pick up the ever increasing tab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This fcks me over big time. Even though I had time to prepare to find a solution I couldn't. I can't really afford both BT and Sky so have to pick one. For the last while Sky was still the preferable choice. Now, with UCL and European rugby practically gone I really need both. Balls that, I don't think I'm going to bother with either. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If rté still have the rights for Wednesdays are we still going to get the message "This broadcast is not available in your country." on BT Sports on Wednesdays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

How does Gerrard as a pundit work out? He'll be in American until November and the Pre-Season starts again in February.

Turtwig wrote: »
    This fcks me over big time. Even though I had time to prepare to find a solution I couldn't. I can't really afford both BT and Sky so have to pick one. For the last while Sky was still the preferable choice. Now, with UCL and European rugby practically gone I really need both. Balls that, I don't think I'm going to bother with either. :(

Moved into the new house last year and priced up my TV bundle, including Sky and BT, which came to just under €90 a month. No way I could justify that, considering I've a separate €45 bill for my BB.

Life was that bit simpler when everything was with Sky in the 90's and early 00's, more competition is supposed to be good for a consumer.

Instead it has resulted in a fractured fixture list, which has resulted in the customer having to secure two separate packages in order to get the games they want.

Another season of illegal streaming for me, which is a pity. Would rather pay for a package to have the games properly on my TV, but I'm not forking out for two separate packages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ironically the monopolies commission introduced shared coverage in order to help the consumer as Sky had an unhealthy monopoly now it ends up costing every one double.
    I had Sky for 15 years up to 5 years ago and then bought a Humax HD box that has series record etc, I have a friends Sky Plus on my Ipad that along with Saorview means I haven't paid for TV since. There is enough sport on TV to keep me happy, I sometimes go for a news blackout and watch MOTD and if I really want to watch a live match I will head to the pub on a Saturday evening for a few pints.
    Sky seems very unlikely to tempt me back any time soon.

• Advertisement

It's mad BT probably have the best panel of pundits of any station on these islands with The European Football Show and it looks like they won't use them because the aren't A list enough.

This is getting really annoying and is a worrying trend. You'd think the Thierry Henry debacle would have maybe bucked the trend of Big Names v Good Pundits.

I'm sure during the Euro's next year we will be back stuck with Fabio Canavaro and the subtitles on ITV.

The T.V. executives have a very low opinion of the t.v. viewers if they think we are jist going to sit slacked jawed at some guy that used to be good at football but cannot give much of an account of what is going on in a game. The novelty factor doesn't last very long with pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

They lost the Sat @ 12:30 game & picked up the Sat @ 17:30 game..... Was there any loss in games overall?

What slot did Sky lose re: NFL?
    They have Thursday & 2 x Sunday + Red zone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Oh Punditry is pathetic. 9/10 times the player "blamed" for the goal is the person who's the net result of trying to cover for a team's previous sum of mistakes. It leads the viewer to almost always think the blame lies on the wrong player. Giles blamed Pirlo for Juve's first concession. Marchisio it was that made the significant error forcing Juve to scramble cover. Once that happens any player is liable to be caught out of position.

That's why I love Gary and Jamie. They look at patterns in the play and try to illustrate those to the viewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Moved into the new house last year and priced up my TV bundle, including Sky and BT, which came to just under €90 a month. No way I could justify that, considering I've a separate €45 bill for my BB.

Life was that bit simpler when everything was with Sky in the 90's and early 00's, more competition is supposed to be good for a consumer.

Instead it has resulted in a fractured fixture list, which has resulted in the customer having to secure two separate packages in order to get the games they want.

Another season of illegal streaming for me, which is a pity. Would rather pay for a package to have the games properly on my TV, but I'm not forking out for two separate packages

Only way for true competition is if both companies showed the same games and leaving it for the consumer to choose which one it viewed either based on price or on channel they prefer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Setanta got seriously, seriously lucky with BT coming in at just the right time. I wonder how much longer they would have operated if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

SantryRed wrote: »
    Setanta got seriously, seriously lucky with BT coming in at just the right time. I wonder how much longer they would have operated if not.

Yeah but now they are restricted in showing Man Utd & Liverpool 3pm games which shouldnt be the case because we are not the UK :mad:

• Advertisement

They lost the Sat @ 12:30 game & picked up the Sat @ 17:30 game..... Was there any loss in games overall?

What slot did Sky lose re: NFL?
    They have Thursday & 2 x Sunday + Red zone....

Sorry, it seems I was mistaken on the Prem games.

For the NFL, they lost the Sunday night and Monday night slots which were their preserve up until a few years ago.

BT to keep the rights till 2021.
    BT Sport has extended its TV rights for the Champions League and Europa League until 2021 in a deal worth £1.2bn.

The company has been broadcasting Europe's elite club competitions since 2015 under the terms of an £897m deal agreed in 2013.

BT Sport, owned by Britain's biggest broadband and mobile operator BT, is a paid subscription service.

But it said it would make clips, weekly highlights, and both finals available to watch for free on social media.

The new deal gives BT Sport exclusivity across all live games and highlights for the first time - meaning there will be no weekly highlights shown on free-to-air broadcaster ITV.

Europe's top four domestic leagues are to be guaranteed four places each in the group stages of the Champions League from the 2018-19 season.

Other changes to the competition will see 'double-header' nights in the group stage, with matches kicking off at both 18:00 and 20:00 UK time.

The current top four leagues according to European governing body Uefa's rankings are Spain, Germany, England and Italy.

Under the present system, England, Germany and Spain have three places each while their fourth-placed teams must win a play-off to qualify

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39177581?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Good to see that means BT sport in general will be around up until then I thought with the low viewership figures they were getting they might pull out.It's really been a great addition as with sky sports and BT every single sport and competition you could want is covered by the Sky and BT/Setanta pack.

th changing of the qualification criteria is not good to see as it's just screwing the teams from the smaller leagues who really need champions league revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

With the increase from 900m to 1.2bn, you can expect the BT package to go up, I'd assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Good to see that means BT sport in general will be around up until then I thought with the low viewership figures they were getting they might pull out.It's really been a great addition as with sky sports and BT every single sport and competition you could want is covered by the Sky and BT/Setanta pack.

As long as this competition means reduced prices it's a good thing. But my Sky sub certainly hasn't dropped so I'm not seeing any benefit for the consumer here.

There is no competition with Sports Channels. They have a monopoly on their individual sport events/games.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    With the increase from 900m to 1.2bn, you can expect the BT package to go up, I'd assume.

Almost certainly.With the amount of sport I watch it's probably worth it for me.

Really there should be some sort of competition commission in existence and if these sorts of companies lose rights (like sky have) they should be forced to drop their prices.Sky and BT have effectively created a nice cartel by what they are doing as they are upping their prices without providing a better product (in Sky's case).

As long as this competition means reduced prices it's a good thing. But my Sky sub certainly hasn't dropped so I'm not seeing any benefit for the consumer here.

There isn't proper competition in order for that to happen they would need to offer the exact same matches and you choose which company you want to watch it with.

The great thing about BT and Setanta coming on the market though is the increase in variety of sport to watch.Since they have came along I've starting watching NBA,MLB,NHL,NCAA Football and Basketball, sports which were not available before they came along. Setanta's coverage of the GAA leagues is really good aswell, they actually have some enthusiasm unlike RTE.

This doesn't affect us here in Ireland.

I think the competition structure changes are worthy of a different thread, as they're significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I think the competition structure changes are worthy of a different thread, as they're significant.

Well the BT channels are part of the Eir sports package so they do really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Well the BT channels are part of the Eir sports package so they do really.

I think he means from the TV3/RTE side of it. In the UK BT now have everything including the highlights which ITV used to have.

I think he means from the TV3/RTE side of it. In the UK BT now have everything including the highlights which ITV used to have.

Even then it still affects us. ITV is available FTA for many Irish people.

BT have paid 35% more.

Eir Sports pack will most likely go up now so it will affect people in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

And the game on ITV is almost always the same game as that is on TV3.

• Advertisement

But they didn't have any live games and RTE/TV3 have live matches and highlights.

But they didn't have any live games and RTE/TV3 have live matches and highlights.

So what ?It was still available to us. Therefore making it relevant to us.

So what ?It was still available to us. Therefore making it relevant to us.

So what? We still have access to FTA live CL football and all highlights in Ireland, unlike residents of the UK. Therefore no change.

So what? We still have access to FTA live CL football and all highlights in Ireland, unlike residents of the UK. Therefore no change.

Less choice = change.
    Whether rte or tv3 showed the exact same game or exact highlights we're still left with less choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Disappointing as im not a fan of BTs presentation and im not paying the extra amount for it as i dont feel its worth it the price for the eir package for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

sky88 wrote: »
    Disappointing as im not a fan of BTs presentation and im not paying the extra amount for it as i dont feel its worth it the price for the eir package for me.

The one thing I liked about Sky having the rights was the fact I could turn on SSN and see the goals roundup later in the night if I missed them live.With BT it's a package of match highlights that I might not be interested in.Sometimes I prefer just to turn on the tv and watch goals rather than having to go online to catch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Less choice = change.
    Whether rte or tv3 showed the exact same game or exact highlights we're still left with less choice.

You are losing only highlights. I don't think too many in Ireland will be too bothered.

No watching Roy giving it loads on ITV I'll miss that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

BT have the red button. RTE/TV3 always show the British teams during the group stages. I get why they do it but not everyone wants to watch Leicester

• Advertisement

BT keep hold of the rights till 2024 after out bidding SKY with a £1.2B winning bid.

Advertisement