Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black mold

Options
  • 09-11-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm housing sharing with the landlord and in my room there's severe case of black mold.

AFAIK this is not only appearing in my room but other rooms only.

Whats is the landlords responsibility here ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Have you told the landlord? It is his house and home- he should be worried about it in his house.

Aldi had a mould remover/cleaner, recently. I'm sure hardware stores would stock something similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Clean it.....
    Its probably a cold wall, north facing, moisture in the air is condensing on this wall causing this mould....simply wipe it off, wear a mask and gloves
    Is the property well insulated?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

There is no point just cleaning it unless you remove the source of the damp or else the mould will simply grow back. The mould is a potential health hazard as the spores produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mould may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.

If you have mould you need to first remove the source of moisture - is there a leak anywhere or is there poor ventilation? Are you air drying clothes inside? Once that is solved you need to clean the mould that is there. Water and detergent will do the job but wear gloves, goggles and a face mask to minimise your exposure to any spores.

The landlord has a responsibility here to maintain the property in a sound state and a severe case of mould is not sound - I would be getting on to them myself. (edit: didn't read the bit where you are living with the landlord, in that case I'm not sure if he has any responsibility)

Some light reading on the subject here:
    http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

As a licensee Im not sure that the landlord has any responsibility towards you.

Assuming the landlord in any way cares abuot their property it would be in their best interest to get it sorted however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Only a couple of things can cause this problem. ...
    Bad insulation/ inadequate venting- landlords problem.
    Your living habits like not opening windows, blocking air vents, drying wet clothes inside- tenant issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Mikros wrote: »
    There is no point just cleaning it unless you remove the source of the damp or else the mould will simply grow back. The mould is a potential health hazard as the spores produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mould may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.

If you have mould you need to first remove the source of moisture - is there a leak anywhere or is there poor ventilation? Are you air drying clothes inside? Once that is solved you need to clean the mould that is there. Water and detergent will do the job but wear gloves, goggles and a face mask to minimise your exposure to any spores.

The landlord has a responsibility here to maintain the property in a sound state and a severe case of mould is not sound - I would be getting on to them myself. (edit: didn't read the bit where you are living with the landlord, in that case I'm not sure if he has any responsibility)

Some light reading on the subject here:
    http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html
    The landlord only has a responsibility towards the condition of his house, not legally towards a licensee/lodger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Doom wrote: »
    Only a couple of things can cause this problem. ...
    Bad insulation/ inadequate venting- landlords problem.
    Your living habits like not opening windows, blocking air vents, drying wet clothes inside- tenant issue

Add::)
    inadequate heating system - landlords problem
    adequate heating system used inadequately - tenant issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

If he has a responsibility to the house is r that connected to the habitants.

That's it's the landlords responsibility to ensure that his premises are safe to live in.

Advertisement