Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby with cold hands in the cot

Options
  • 09-11-2013 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

My little boy who's 7.5 months old has freezing cold hands during the night in his cot. The room temperature is always between 18 & 20 degrees & he sleeps in a 2.5 tog gro bag along with fleece pj's.
    He doesn't have these cold hands during the day.
    Has anyone else experienced this & if so what advice do you have ?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ms_wobbly

Could have written this myself. Same problem here. Stone cold hands during the night . Room 18 degrees and in a 2.5 sleeping bag. I wonder do you get a warmer sleeping bag ?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

ms_wobbly wrote: »
    Could have written this myself. Same problem here. Stone cold hands during the night . Room 18 degrees and in a 2.5 sleeping bag. I wonder do you get a warmer sleeping bag ?

Having the exact same problem. My little man is 14 months and his hands are frozen during the night and in the morning.

Long sleeve vest on, snug pjs and a 2.5tog grobag.Always between 17 and 20 in his room!

I was thinking of putting mittens on him but I think they would just drive him mad and wake him up. Wish he would leave a duvet on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I remember the midwife telling me that babies hands and feet are always cold because they are so small, you just need to feel the back of their neck for a true indication of temperature. I wouldn't reccommnd putting on more bed clothes as it increases risk of cot death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

My LO is 3 months and is starting to grip onto her blankets and pull them over her face. She has freezing cold hands in the morning too. I just happened to be shopping today and came across 'Alwero' sheep's wool sleeping bags for babies. They're really cosy and there's no danger my LO will pull the blankets over her now. I'm hoping it will cure the cold hands too as it's fleece lined. She's conked in it on my lap here now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I used to use mittens but big ones like the scratch mittens for tiny tots- I think if they're big enough they won't annoy them cause they can still move their hands naturally (as long as they're not finger suckers which mine weren't). I knitted mine but if you're stuck you could probably use socks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's normal.

Babies' bodies aren't great at temperature regulation so the priority is given to keeping the vital organs at an even temperature. It does no harm and it doesn't bother them.

If you're worried that they're cold, feel the nape of the neck.

Have to say though, the icy hands can sure make you jump if you're breastfeeding first thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I was also told it's normal - that you can't tell if they are cold by their hands or feet but by feeling their chest or back. Our boy is also in a room in a 2.5 tog grobag and has a heater that keeps the temp between 18C-20C but always has stone cold hands. It doesn't seem to bother him and he doesn't seem to be cold either.

We did have him in the room one night without the heater and he did wake up a lot then, I think from the cold, but now he doesn't despite having cold hands. He's almost 5 months old.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I was also told it's normal - that you can't tell if they are cold by their hands or feet but by feeling their chest or back. Our boy is also in a room in a 2.5 tog grobag and has a heater that keeps the temp between 18C-20C but always has stone cold hands. It doesn't seem to bother him and he doesn't seem to be cold either.

We did have him in the room one night without the heater and he did wake up a lot then, I think from the cold, but now he doesn't despite having cold hands. He's almost 5 months old.

Just wondering where you get heaters that keep the temperature at a certain level. Would be a god send! Thanks

Just wondering where you get heaters that keep the temperature at a certain level. Would be a god send! Thanks

It doesn't have a temp gauge or anything it's just an oil fin heater with different settings. It has two heat settings and we put it on the lower one, then a dial with one to six on it, we leave it on three (the middle setting) and this keeps the room at about 19C. It only comes on every so often during the night.

Hope that makes sense!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    It doesn't have a temp gauge or anything it's just an oil fin heater with different settings. It has two heat settings and we put it on the lower one, then a dial with one to six on it, we leave it on three (the middle setting) and this keeps the room at about 19C. It only comes on every so often during the night.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks murdy! I must have a lookout for something similar.

• Advertisement

Thanks murdy! I must have a lookout for something similar.

We borrowed one from my parents but I'm pretty sure it's a basic type. I'm sure Argos etc will have them and they won't be too expensive.

It does the jobby nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Keep an eye out for sleep suits with sleeves that have inbuilt mitts on them - I've one on my fella at the moment, the sleeves kind of turn over to cover the hands. Marks & Spencer's and mothercare do them

* pics are a bit dark but you might be able to see what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We always used mittens at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I've started using gro bags n her hands are definitely not as cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Hmm, getting worried here. Our 4 mo. old is co-sleeping with us. Cold hands - we read this was normal - but we live in an old house, it's not insulated, it's getting cold and we don't and can't afford to keep the heating on all night. He usually sleeps in a 2.5 tog gro bag, one vest underneath one onesie and socks, and sometimes we put a light blanket over him. What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

sarkozy wrote: »
    Hmm, getting worried here. Our 4 mo. old is co-sleeping with us. Cold hands - we read this was normal - but we live in an old house, it's not insulated, it's getting cold and we don't and can't afford to keep the heating on all night. He usually sleeps in a 2.5 tog gro bag, one vest underneath one onesie and socks, and sometimes we put a light blanket over him. What do you guys think?

We're the exact same. His tummy is always warm so in that case I wasn't that concerned about the cold hands.

I know the nights will still get colder so I bought a dimplex radiator which is apparently an economical model and has a thermostat which was can be set to bring the heat in when it falls below a certain temp. Haven't really had to use it yet.

Our place is quite warm but still his hands were like ice this morning. It sounds like your baby is wearing kind of the same as J and I'm comfortable he is warm enough. We do have a radiator on in his room. We're not co sleeping though

I took him in bed with me this morning and his hands warmed up quick enough but they were so cold it actually hurt when he touched me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My 7 month old's room is 18 degrees and she has freezing cold hands. But her body is warm and she's sleeping great

Advertisement