Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin man takes swing at Bertie.... with his crutch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

You don't understand how national debt works do you. Your a typical fianna fail voter!

Oops i took up that 30k figure completely wrong. Apologies. And i'v never voted for FF in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The picture of Bertie in the Indo today, taken yesterday in daylight, so presumably before the pub incident, shows Bertie using a crutch himself.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bertie-ahern-attacked-with-crutch-in-pub-29740418.html

I wonder where the Indo got the picture? Were they coincidentally waiting outside his house yesterday to photograph him in his new anorak? Bit weird.

Bit strange that both Bertie and the other guy had a crutch. Would have been good if Bertie defended himself with his crutch, and they had a crutch fight back and forward acorss the floor of the pub, swashbuckling style.

Edit: Maybe it was Bertie's crutch that the guy hit him with, and he held onto it afterwards.

Bertie broke his leg in 2008 and was going round in crutches then. That big toe doesn't look too healthy in the second picture.

http://www.herald.ie/news/bertie-smiles-through-pain-and-puts-best-foot-forward-27889648.html

So I would say you are right. Possibly Bertie is still suffering the after effects of his leg break and needs crutches from time to time. Or he has some new injury. Either way it is poor journalism if the real story is that a drunken lout seized a crutch from an invalid (even if it is Bertie) and attacked him. I see no indication that Connolly has any injury which would necessitate him using a crutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

I have no respect for anyone that thinks that attackimg someone with a crutch is an acceptable thing to do.

The man was democratically elected, like it or not.

He was democratically elected to run the country in a fair, honest and proper manner. If you think he did so, then that's your prerogative.

He wasn't elected to be knee deep in graft, lie to the authorities, lie to the electorate, allow other corrupt members to stay atop the greasy pole, drop a few ex employees in the merde etc. The list goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    He was democratically elected to run the country in a fair, honest and proper manner. If you think he did so, then that's your prerogative.

He wasn't elected to be knee deep in graft, lie to the authorities, lie to the electorate, allow other corrupt members to stay atop the greasy pole, drop a few ex employees in the merde etc. The list goes on.

I think a lot of those who voted for him had an inkling of the lying and corruption but just thought what harm, be grand like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

I used to be a great admirer of Ahern - before knowing about the corruption, scandals etc. What really irritates me about the man now is that he has absolutely no shame for what he has done to this country. Sames goes for many of his ex-colleagues.

Haughey's comments were 100% correct.

• Advertisement

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Bit strange that both Bertie and the other guy had a crutch. Would have been good if Bertie defended himself with his crutch, and they had a crutch fight back and forward across the floor of the pub, swashbuckling style.
    ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Scaramouche? :) Or Zorro?

I used to be a great admirer of Ahern - before knowing about the corruption, scandals etc. What really irritates me about the man now is that he has absolutely no shame for what he has done to this country. Sames goes for many of his ex-colleagues.

Haughey's comments were 100% correct.

Haughey was corrupt, he also had bottle.

Bertie is corrupt and a craven coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Bertie broke his leg in 2008 and was going round in crutches then. That big toe doesn't look too healthy in the second picture.

http://www.herald.ie/news/bertie-smiles-through-pain-and-puts-best-foot-forward-27889648.html

So I would say you are right. Possibly Bertie is still suffering the after effects of his leg break and needs crutches from time to time. Or he has some new injury. Either way it is poor journalism if the real story is that a drunken lout seized a crutch from an invalid (even if it is Bertie) and attacked him. I see no indication that Connolly has any injury which would necessitate him using a crutch.

Actually, have a look at this story from Jan 2013:

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/pensions/top-pensions-face-cut-as-state-aims-to-save-1bn-29022565.html

So the picture of Bertie that the Indo published today, with the caption saying it was taken yesterday, was an old pic that they had on file from at least 10 months ago. And this time, for some reason, they used a wider crop, so that you can see the crutch.

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Scaramouche? :) Or Zorro?

I was thinking Inigo Montoya from the Princess Bride. Fifteen minutes into the fight it would transpire that Bertie is really right handed, but he was fighting with his left hand to make it last longer.

Man in Black: Then why are you smiling?
    Inigo Montoya: Because I know something you don't know.
    Man in Black: And what is that?
    Inigo Montoya: I... am not left-handed.
    [Moves his sword to his right hand and gains an advantage]
    Man in Black: You are amazing.
    Inigo Montoya: I ought to be, after 20 years.
    Man in Black: Oh, there's something I ought to tell you.
    Inigo Montoya: Tell me.
    Man in Black: I'm not left-handed either.
    [Moves his sword to his right hand and regains his advantage]

I was thinking Inigo Montoya from the Princess Bride. Fifteen minutes into the fight it would transpire that Bertie is really right handed, but he was fighting with his left hand to make it last longer.

Man in Black: Then why are you smiling?
    Inigo Montoya: Because I know something you don't know.
    Man in Black: And what is that?
    Inigo Montoya: I... am not left-handed.
    [Moves his sword to his right hand and gains an advantage]
    Man in Black: You are amazing.
    Inigo Montoya: I ought to be, after 20 years.
    Man in Black: Oh, there's something I ought to tell you.
    Inigo Montoya: Tell me.
    Man in Black: I'm not left-handed either.
    [Moves his sword to his right hand and regains his advantage]

Touche!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Bartie's laughing face will fill my nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

all this carnage caused by that d1ckhead and his crew - and the best we can manage is a bang of a crutch

his head should be on a spike for fcuks sake .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Well I will be voting for any party that takes back that stain Ahernes pension

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Hootanany wrote: »
    Well I will be voting for any party that takes back that stain Ahernes pension

I dont think bertie would miss he's pension, I'm.sure he's crooney developer friends have a few quid thrown he's way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Why do people feel the need to post simpsons scenes into every bloody thread. Even one on bertie ffs.

And bertie deserves to be reminded he was partly responsible for screwing the country at every opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Fair play to him wish him the best of luck a hero in my eyes

There's always one isn't there, are you Bertie's brother :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I sincerely hope he dies screaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What do you mean fair play? It's a crutch he tried to f**king hit him with.

What's the big deal even if it hit Bertie's head it would only have buckled in two as Bertie's head is so thick. They don't make solid crutches anymore. If it were a baseball bat I would see your concern then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

bertie's dodged bigger things than a crutch:)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

ad nauseum referring to our ex-PM as "Bertie" is mystifying - it resembles a term of

endearment.

WTF must everybody, everywhere refer to him as "Bertie"?

• Advertisement

ad nauseum referring to our ex-PM as "Bertie" is mystifying - it resembles a term of

endearment.

Because everyone refers to him as Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Could the owner of the said crutch please auction it for charity. Theres a lot of Irish pubs worldwide with emigrant regulars who'd happily bid for it.
    Maybe mount it on the wall a la The Stags Head ~ I could see The Busted Crutch of Boston , London, Sydney doing some trade on the back of it.

We do of course wait in hope for the opening of the Berties Head bar somewhere in the vicinity of the old Anglo bank. Excuse me now while I sharpen the axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

it would be interesting to see the reaction here if the headline read traveller takes swing at bertie with bottle, i'd imagine the cognitive dissonance would cause this site to explode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

endearment.

Because, though a race fond of swearing and salty language, we are reluctant to type "that cunt" in various media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    You would have done nothing. Probably another one who benefited from tax cuts, pension increases etc. A BIG MOUTH ON A KEYBOPARD AND SUCKING UP TO THE POLITICIANS WHEN THEY CALL TO YOUR DOOR.
    just show what you know about me.:D

endearment.

ok how about sleezeball.

I dont think bertie would miss he's pension, I'm.sure he's crooney developer friends have a few quid thrown he's way!
    aadd to that his lectures in far away places.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    You would have done nothing. Probably another one who benefited from tax cuts, pension increases etc. A BIG MOUTH ON A KEYBOPARD AND SUCKING UP TO THE POLITICIANS WHEN THEY CALL TO YOUR DOOR.
    i do not need your life story.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Do Fianna Fail own the Sunday Independent or is it just there to protect poor auld Patrick Bartholomew. All I can say is What The **** are these guys on.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-spate-of-hate-attacks-on-bertie-29741074.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Love Bertie or hate him, he is as entitled as the man who assaulted him, to have a quiet drink with friends.

If he wants a quite drink he should sit at home and have it. Bertie Ahern deserves every bit of scorn aimed in his direction and much, much more besides. There isn't a corner of Ireland outside the four walls of his house that man is entitled to a bit of peace in.

Advertisement